ABC Renews S.H.I.E.L.D., Resurrection, Castle, Revenge, Goldbergs and 6 Other Series

ABC Renewed Series 2014 ABC began handing out renewal notices late Thursday, formally picking up rookie series Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Resurrection and The Goldbergs as well as established hits Once Upon a Time (for Season 4), Castle (for Season 7), Scandal (for Season 4) and Grey’s Anatomy (for Season 11!).

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Additionally, the network has ordered a fourth season of Revenge, a sixth season of Modern Family, a sixth season of The Middle and a 19th season of Dancing With the Stars.

RELATED | Save the Dates! Your Guide to 80+ May Season Finales and More

An ABC rep tells TVLine that more renewals will likely be issued on Friday, so there’s still hope for remaining bubble shows such as Nashville and Suburgatory.

1. Lysh says:

It’s been a good day. Congrats to OUAT!

• iMember says:

Yeeeeah REVENGEEEE! Not sure why people were worried. ABC wasn’t going to cancel it lol.

• Nate says:

Um there really was a reason to worry. That show wasn’t a sure thing

• Seven says:

It only had 1 season to go before syndication. It was pretty much a sure thing. I would’ve been shocked if they didn’t renew it.

• iMember says:

Revenge also solved ABCs 10PM Sunday night problem that they’ve been struggling with for a long time now.

• murley says:

Michael or other TvLine people in the know- is the allure of making it to syndication numbers still a thing that networks hold highly enough to make renewals a sure thing? I am curious about this because I see people site it a lot. Thanks.

• Reality says:

Revenge is a heavily serialized drama, those rarely get syndicated. And if they do, it’s for a brief stint. Crime procedurals and popular comedies are the ones that get syndicated almost without a doubt.

• Taelor Rye says:

I could see Revenge rerunning on TNT.

• Dav says:

@murley – I can’t speak for other networks but CBS has stated on several occasions that their main business plan was to get as many shows to syndication as possible. Syndication is where the real money is so many networks are willing to take a loss for a year if it means that they will make it up later.

• taylor says:

Yes it was. It needed a fourth season for syndication and it’s owned by ABC. It was a sure thing.

• joooe says:

Actually it was a sure thing. The show needed just 1 more season for syndication, which means 100% renewal.

• canadian ninja says:

More complicated than that. The network doesn’t necessarily own the show or its syndication rights. Though the company that does may lower the licensing fee the network pays to get to syndicat-able number of episodes (which is a lot more flexible these days). I don’t know if ABC owns Revenge or not.

• Linda Hinkamp says:

When will we know if Nashville, will be renewed or not? Thank you.

• shirley says:

Great!!!!.

Castle and Once Upon A Time.

Thank you TVLIne for the info.

shirley

• Patty says:

Yes, indeed. Shirley. A reminder that Nathan Fillion will be a guest, tonight, on: “Late Night with David Letterman.

• sally says:

WHAT THE HECK?!!!! What a TERRIBLE finale of CASTLE! It stunk to high heaven! What a horrible ending!!!?? WHAT was the author thinking! We are discussed with this kind of a finale and I think this is just going to hurt the fan base you need to keep this show going….if you are going to do this crap to something that was supposed to be good and beautiful…..then your show is not worth watching anymore….we’re done….I”m am so disappointed

• Keri says:

you mean a season finale ended on a cliffhanger? Oh man, that’s just unheard of! Guess you’ll have to tune into Season 7 to find out what happened!

• missteff says:

I love it! I didn’t see it ended like that, but that’s what makes this show different (in a good way) show then all the others, and if you have been watching all the years-what did you expect-a 2 minute wedding-now that to me would have been a disappointing end to season 6. if you don’t like it don’t watch it….. I surely will…..can’t wait….

2. rflairfan1 says:

All I care about are The Goldbergs and The Middle. I honestly don’t think either are going anywhere.

• rflairfan1 says:

Yes to The Goldbergs. I still think The Middle is a shoe-in.

• heather says:

goldbergs suck the middle is pretty good…yay for revenge!!!!!!!!

• Et al. says:

Maybe when you’re out of high school you’ll appreciate the Goldbergs more.

• JB Smooove says:

perfect reply.

• Lisa Benwitz says:

My parents, who are in their mid-70s, don’t enjoy “The Goldbergs” either–maybe you have to be of a certain age to get all the references and feel that nostalgia. At first, I thought the mother was *terribly* miscast and she drove me batty… but the character grew on me, and I think they have become a fine ensemble cast. Every week, I laugh a little and usually shed a few tears–I love that combination of comedy, nostalgia and sentimentality–and Adam Goldberg’s real home movies at the end bring a depth to what you’ve just seen that never fails to move me. I’m really glad they decided to renew it.

• Alexandra S says:

Nope. I am 29 years old, and lost interest in The Goldbergs long ago. The Trophy Wife was a much better show.

3. Taelor Rye says:

umm not looking good for Revenge…

4. Lillian says:

Considering the way they ended Resurrection, I’m glad ABC renewed it! Unlike SyFy, who cancelled Alphas with a cliffhanger of everyone but one Alpha possibly dead.

5. AGB says:

I watch OUAT so this is good news. I also watch Revenge, The Middle, Suburgatory, Nashville, Modern Family, SHIELD, Scandal and Grey’s so hopefully more renewals will come soon.

• AGB says:

So far, so good. Still waiting for The Middle and Suburgatory. TBH I think Modern Family is just a shadow of it’s former self, SHIELD is just ok and Nashville is meh at this point.

• JB Smooove says:

i agree with you on the modfam. its not what it used to be, in my mind. and the jokes fall flat more often that not. sad, because it used to be a great written and acted comedy.

6. Monica says:

Anything on S.H.I.E.L.D.

7. Nate says:

F#ck. Please renew revenge

• alistaircrane says:

My guess is it’ll get a 12-or-13-episode final season.

• AGB says:

Nah. They need the full 22 episodes to sell the show to syndication. It’s either 22 or nothing.

• alistaircrane says:

So basically 21 episodes of filler…I may as well skip the entire season and just wait for the series finale for Emily to actually take her revenge.

• Ray says:

It’s a TV series, not a feature film. Obviously the revenge arc was never going to be completed in just one or two episodes.

• Julie says:

I know. That comment always amazes me – why do people always get pissed about that. Like with How I Met Your Mother I never expected that we would know who the mother was until the end. I was actually surprised they revealed her identity when they did. The only show at least that I’ve watched that bucked this trend at least way earlier than expected was LOST when they revealed at least some of them are off the island at the end of S3. I was actually surprised last week when Conrad got caught admitting David was framed.

8. chaouad says:

revenge needs to end but not like that , not like that !

9. Lisa says:

I could not imagine them cancelling OUAT. I’m still interested in Resurrection too.

10. greysfan says:

Great news for Once and Resurrection. Come on ABC renew Revenge too!

11. Lia says:

Hello? Nashville, we’re waiting! Love that show.

12. Keith says:

I want Trophy Wife back

13. Michelle says:

Yay for ONCE!

14. Lia says:

GO ONCE! \o/

15. christina says:

Castle! That was a given. Can’t wait for the finale Monday and S7 in September!

Also very pleased by Resurrection’s renewal. Loved that show since the pilot.

• Sara burns says:

Loving ABC ‘a renewal of Castle and Resurrection. Waiting, waiting for Monday’s Castle finale. It should off the charts!

• LARRY BALDWIN says:

I LIKE CASTLEI WAS watching heat wave where the actress played Kate Becketgot kate made when she took Kates coffe will we ever get to see Castle actualy give Kre that massage when will the new series realy start its runing on the 4th rerun and mom is tired seeing them over when is the wedding going to be i know its in new york after about a couple months after their weding Kate should become pregnant like bones but not in real life that way they have something to hold them together along with his daughter Alexas DO YOU LIKE ANY OF MY IDEAS LET ME KNOW i think they should keep Castles book worm buddies James Paterson and his freinds . i like when they discuss a case together

16. Francine says:

I knew Castle would be renewed, but its still good to have it be official. I’m also happy about Resurrection..

17. Brenna says:

ONCE UPON A TIME!!!!!!!

18. Cc says:

Season 7 Castle!!

19. Dan says:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG WHAT ABOUT

REVENGE?!?!?!

OMG OMG OMG PLEASE ABC RENEW REVENGE! k thx bye :)

20. Apples says:

Glad it’s official for Castle

21. c-mo says:

Not that I had any fear that Castle wouldn’t be back but I must admit that I will sleep somewhat better tonight with news of their renewal. Now if ABC could give me some good news on Trophy Wife…c’mon Trophy Wife, renew Trophy Wife!!!

22. Nate says:

Waiting on Nashville, revenge, Goldbergs, & Suburgatory. Maybe Shield

23. Jerry says:

My feeling is that Revenge’s decision might be delayed, due to negotiating and decision of a final season instead of just a simple renewal.

24. Luiza says:

CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE !

25. LE says:

I’m surprised they didn’t announced Grey’s and Scandal first.

26. Nate says:

Revenge! !!!!!! Let the revenge continue

27. Audrey says:

There was no doubt about Castle, but it’s just so nice to hear a confirmation!!!

28. Aleana says:

Yes! For Once Upon A Time Castle Revenge Please! Renew Trophy Wife The Goldbergs and The Middle

29. Cory says:

ONCE UPON A TIME SEASON 4! WOOT! WOOT! *does super secret variant of the happy snoopy dance*

30. Kourt says:

CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE

31. Denise Moreira says:

Very, very, very, very Happy! Castle renewed! In ABC we trust!

32. martina says:

Although I‘m a huge Castle fan, I was kinda hoping that season 6 would be the last one. After what happens in Veritas and what I imagine will happen in the season finale, it would‘ve been the perfect wrap up for a perfect show! Oh well.. now I hope season 7 will be their swan song. I don‘t want it to run boring and old..

• Daniela says:

if you are such a huge Castle fan why did you want it to end, I think it could go at least another season. Maybe its time you watch another show, because no fan of the show would want it to end.

• Mark says:

Plenty of fans of shows would rather their shows end on a good note than drag on into suckville.

• Lisa says:

Selfishly I want more episodes because I love the show but if they get married on Monday I could have survived had it not been renewed. Finish with strong stories next season and call it a wrap. I will then by the full box set of DVD’s.

• missteff says:

that’s true, I hope that’s what will happen, Castle has well, been my fav but don’t want it to get too boring.

• S. says:

Part of what they’re looking to is the idea of the married couple solving crimes a la The Thin Man. I mean they’ve got this crazy notion that getting married doesn’t mean the dramatic potential of a show is gone or that there’s no more banter. I want to see how their Nick and Nora shake out. Ending at season 6 would deprive of the fun part in the next stage of their lives. I want “little Castle babies” danggit!

• I would be happy if Castle never ended, but if it ever has to, I’d hope it would be because Nathan Fillion decided to do more “Firefly” (and that some network with a decent sense of ethics would actually pick up “Firefly” and give it a fair chance, unlike what Fox did to it)! Otherwise, I’m stuck on Castle forever and ever, Amen.

• Kathie says:

Last season??? NOOOOO!!! Castle and Beckett will NEVER be boring. Too many of my favorite shows have been cancelled in the last few years. (Still seething over cancellation of The Glades and now seething over the totally unsuitable new character for Matt Passmore.)
      I would be heartbroken if Castle got cancelled. i hope they are around for many years to come. If NCIS can go for 10+ seasons, so can Castle. Sad that season 10 will be the last one for Bones.
      Long Live Castle!

33. Yay, Revenge!!!!!!!!!

34. abz says:

- I hope they renew Nashville. I’m really enjoying that show each week.
    – So glad OUAT is renewed. I never doubted they would. The second half of this season has been amazing.
    – Grey’s will be tough to watch next season without Sandra Oh :(
    – It’s sad to say, even though the episodes these past few weeks have been great, Revenge needs to end next season because the last season was not great and there were several huge problems with this season (amnesia arc, the existence of Margaux, Pascal, too many filler episodes, etc.). I hope ABC formally announces it as a final season and gives them the opportunity to end it properly

35. Patty says:

Season 7 for ‘Castle,’ never doubted it. Great for the confirmation, Thanks, TVLine.

36. N says:

Revenge and Castle!

37. N says:

Grey’s Too!

38. DarkDefender says:

Yeah for Castle!!! Ending on season 6 would have been tragic.. Those 6 seasons were all the lead up to the actual show about a cool, “not boring,” married, crime solving couple. I was secretly hoping for a 2 season renewal (like was rumored last year).. But I will take this just the same. :: happy dance ::

• The Dude says:

Very happy about Castle season 7 pick-up but as for a 2 season pick-up; they only have these actors signed thru 7 seasons. So they would have to re-sign everyone.

39. Gaby says:

Any news if any of those show is being renewed for a “last season”?

40. Metoo says:

Trophy Wife…..pleeeeeeeeeeeasssssssse!!!!!

41. Matt C. says:

Yay for more Revenge! Though I hope at the upfronts they confirm/deny if season 4 will be the final season…or at the very least let the showrunners know.

42. LE says:

Now just waiting to hear about the fates of Nashville, Suburgatory, Goldbergs, Throphy Wife and SHIELD

43. chaouad says:

season 4 of revenge needs to be the imo.

44. Lily says:

Castle and Resurrection were a given. ABC would have been foolish not to renew them.

45. Kristen says:

Please renew Nashville!!!!!!!! Best show!!

46. Nate says:

Omg shield congrats

47. Laurie says:

Good to hear. I watch four of the six shows mentioned.

48. Deion says:

And their goes AoS! ABC is the best!

49. John NYC says:

So it IS all connected.

50. Eli says:

Good, So glad about Shield. The other shows were either sure things, or shows I don’t watch.