Fall TV: ABC Orders Shonda Rhimes Drama, Agent Carter, Black-ish and 6 Others to Series

How To Get Away With MurderABC on Thursday added nine new shows to its fall 2014-15 schedule, including Marvel’s Agent Carter and Shonda Rhimes‘ legal thriller How to Get Away With Murder.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

Here’s the logline/casting/pedigree info for each of the new series:

American Crime (Drama)
EPs | John Ridley (The Wanda Sykes Show, Third Watch), Michael McDonald
CAST | Felicity Huffman (Desperate Housewives), Timothy Hutton (Leverage), Benito Martinez (Sons of Anarchy), W. Earl Brown (Deadwood), Penelope Ann Miller (Mistresses), Richard Cabral
Set in California’s Central Valley, it centers on a racially charged murder and the subsequent trial, which are examined through the personal lives of the players involved. The case takes on greater meaning in the community, bringing to the forefront America’s hardened views on race, class and gender politics.

Black-ishBlack-ish (Comedy)
EPs | Kenya Barris, Anthony Anderson, Larry Wilmore, Laurence Fishburne, Helen Sugland, Tom Russo, Peter Principato, Paul Young, Brian Dobbins

CAST | Anthony Anderson (Guys With Kids), Tracee Ellis Ross (Girlfriends), Yara Shahidi (Scandal), recurring star Laurence Fishburne (Hannibal)
An upper-middle class black man struggles to raise his children with a sense of cultural identity despite constant contradictions and obstacles coming from his liberal wife, old-school father and his own assimilated, color-blind kids.

Forever (Drama)
EPs | Matt Miller (Chuck), Dan Lin, Jennifer Gwartz
CAST | Ioan Gruffudd (Ringer), Judd Hirsch (Damages, Numb3rs), Alana de la Garza (Law & Order), Joel David Moore (Bones), Barbara Eve Harris, Donnie Keshawarz
Dr. Henry Morgan is New York City’s star medical examiner, but what no one knows is Henry studies the dead for a reason: He is immortal. With the help of detective Jo Martinez, the show peels back the layers of Henry’s colorful and long life through their cases.

galavantGalavant (Comedy)
EPs | Dan Fogelman (The Neighbors)
CAST| Joshua Sasse (Rogue), Vinnie Jones (Elementary), Karen David, Mallory Jansen, Luke Youngblood (Community), guest star Timothy Omundson (Psych)
A musical fairy tale that centers on handsome Prince Galavant and his quest for revenge over the king who stole his one true love.

How to Get Away With Murder (Drama)
EPs | Peter Nowalk (Grey’s Anatomy), Shonda Rhimes, Betsy Beers
CAST | Viola Davis, Matt McGorry (Orange Is the New Black), Liza Weil (Scandal, Gilmore Girls), Aja Naomi King (The Black Box), Charlie Weber (90210), Katie Findlay (The Carrie Diaries), Billy Brown (Hostages), Tom Verica (American Dreams), Jack Falahee, Alfred Enoch, Karla Souza
A sexy, suspense-driven legal thriller about a group of ambitious law students and their brilliant, mysterious criminal defense professor who become entangled in a murder plot that will rock the entire university and change the course of their lives.

Manhattan Love Story (Comedy)
EPs | Peter Traugott, Jeff Lowell, Robin Schwartz, Rachel Kaplan and Jon Liebman
Cast | Analeigh Tipton, Jake McDorman, Nicolas Wright, Jade Catta-Preta, Chloe Wepper, Kurt Fuller
A romantic comedy that “exposes the differences between men and women through the unfiltered thoughts, and often contradictory actions, of a new couple who have just begun dating.”

Marvel's Agent CarterMarvel’s Agent Carter (Drama)
EPs | Michele Fazekas, Tara Butters, Steve McFeely, Christopher Marcus, Jeph Loeb.
CAST | Hayley Atwell
Set in 1946, this drama tells the story of Captain America‘s Peggy Carter, who goes on secret missions for Howard Stark while adjusting to losing the love of her life.

Secrets & Lies (Drama)
EPs | Barbie Kligman, Tracey Robertson, Nathan Mayfield
CAST | Ryan Phillippe, Natalie Martinez (Under The Dome), Juliette Lewis, KaDee Strickland (Private Practice), Indiana Evans (Lifetime’sBlue Lagoon reboot), recurring players Charles Dutton, Steven Brand (Magic City) and Kate Ashfield (Shaun of the Dead)
A family man finds the body of a young boy and quickly becomes the prime murder suspect. He has no choice but to try to find the real killer as his marriage, his kids, his reputation, and his sanity are all at stake.

Selfie (Comedy)
EP | Emily Kapnek (Suburgatory)
CAST | Karen Gillan (Doctor Who), John Cho (Sleepy Hollow), David Harewood (Homeland), Tim Peper, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Allyn Rachel
A self-obsessed twentysomething woman is more concerned with “likes” than being liked. After suffering a very public and humiliating breakup, she becomes the subject of a viral video and suddenly has more social media “followers” than she ever imagined — but for all the wrong reasons. She enlists the help of a marketing expert at her company to help repair her tarnished image.

The Whispers (Drama)
EPs | Steven Spielberg, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Dawn Olmstead
CAST | Lily Rabe, Barry Sloane, Milo Ventimiglia, Derek Webster, Brianna Brown, Catalina Denis, Kylie Rogers, Kyle Harrison Breitkopf
A drama about an alien invasion, in which earth’s enemies possess children’s bodies to take down humanity.

1. Tiffany says:

Galavant got picked up!! I’m so excited to not be missing Tim Omundson from my TV schedule for long. :-)

2. Marcinho11 says:

Looking forward to Galavant because I like Joshua Sasse.

3. Apples says:

American Crime is the only that looks decent. Whispers seems awful, another typical soapy Shonda show (they’re obviously popular, just not to my tastes), Galavant will be cringe-worthy bad. Black-ish could go either way.
    Hope Warriors gets a pick up.

• jenna says:

black-ish definitely needs a name change, it has the cougar town/trophy wife scenario written all over it

• Apples says:

Agree, definite name change.
        Forever looks OK, depends on Gruffud and his co-star’s chemistry (if they’re going with a UST premise). The rest look pretty mediocre- AoS burned me on Agent Carter, screw that.

• ? says:

American Crime is a good idea for an 8-12 episode series, one where they change up the cast and location each year and have a different crime examined. I don’t see how it has legs for broadcast without being dragged out and becoming tiresome. Black-ish definitely needs a name change. Forever is a good concept, like the Fox show New Amsterdam from several years ago, but that one was executed poorly, so we’ll see. It has potential. Galavant sounds painful, the Shonda show will probably work with her magic touch, and Agent Carter is sure to be interesting as either a success or a failure. Another “creepy alien kids” show is a tired concept, Spielberg or not, but it’s never wise to dismiss a project he’s involved with out of hand. Manhattan Love Story and Selfie both sound dumb and not distinctive enough from shows we’ve seen a million times before to be interesting, but at least they both have good casts . . .

• I thought i was the only person who even remembered New Amsterdam.

Totally agree with you on everything. I wish selfie sounded interesting just so Karen Gillan would be on my t.v. again. I miss the Ponds. :(

• M3rc Nate says:

I loved new Amsterdam…not because it was amazing persay but i love me some “immortal” human stories.

• Zach says:

Warriors got passed on. I was looking forward to it because of Greg Grunberg.

Galavant’s gonna be awesome though! Black-ish sounds good, but Laurence Fishburne’s only 9 years older than Anthony Anderson.

• Dee says:

None of these sounded very good but I agree with you that Whispers seems awful. Really awful.

4. Matt C. says:

How to Get Away with Murder is going to be so good. Viola Davis + Shonda Rhimes = amazing!

• the girl says:

I am definitely looking forward to that. Also, really excited that Black-ish got picked up. I don’t usually look forward to new comedies but this one has intrigued me from the start.

• Julie says:

I also think How To Get Away With Murder looks good. And I’m looking forward to seeing Tom America in front of the camera – haven’t watched him on anything since American Dreams. On the other hand, The Whispers looks pretty awful. For Barry Sloane’s sake, I hope it’s successful. For my sake, I hope he stays on revenge and walks off into the sunset when Emily finally (fully) gets her Revenge. This makes me nervous that Aiden is not going to make it out of season 4 alive and Emily and Jack will end up together like an awful “childhood sweetheart” cliche.

5. Teag says:

Galavant… seems interesting. Very risky.

6. Stacie says:

I thought at first it said Shonda Rhimes Alien Invasion Thriller. Now that would have been interesting. A bit of a departure. The suspense legal drama seems eerily similar to Scandal but instead of government it’s lawyers. So not too far away from her money maker. Hey, I’m not faulting Shonda stick with what ya know and what ABC will eat up and most likely the viewers, just not entirely out of the box.

7. Television Scout says:

Good scoop on ABC – ABC was very silent this week; everyone tracking pre-Upfront news is/was trying to figure out if they were still in business.

Some surprises on the list – good for them. ABC needs to be bold and try some new ideas to get things moving in the right direction.

8. Josh says:

They all sound pretty good, until that last one which is unfortunately the one starring Lily Rabe :(

9. Maggie W. says:

I really want to see Selfie get picked up mostly because I love Karen Gillan and John Cho.

10. Doesn’t The Whispers sound a lot like Falling Skies?

11. Boiler says:

Neither comedy looks good. Like the first 2 dramas……my opinion of course

12. Marcinho11 says:

A not very “sexy” promo pic of Viola Davis. LOL.

13. julie says:

Waiting for Sea Of Fire to get picked up with Jennifer Carpenter

14. eddie says:

ABC NEEDS A NEW PRESIDENT

15. Dr_Para says:

I’ve seen the first episode of The Whispers, very ABCish, perfect fit for their Sunday night showcasing. Barry Sloane doing an American accent is all sorts of terrible but it’s the kind of terrible that you laugh knowing how he actually sounds and how hard he’s trying.

16. bzuege1987 says:

TVbythenumbers is reporting that ABC picked up Marvel’s Agent Carter as well!!

17. JC says:

YES!! to the Agent Carter pickup!! I’m really looking forward to this one.

18. Marcinho11 says:

Analeigh from ANTM is starring in her very own show!

19. Madeleine says:

Surely they would have to renew Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

20. Bryce says:

Hopefully the Selfie pickup won’t give ABC another reason to cancel Suburgatory. I’m hoping for one more season!

21. jen says:

yeah! paris gellar/liza weil back on TV!!!

22. Bong says:

Black-ish and Galavant have SUCK written all over them.

• Zach says:

Oh, it’s opposite day? Cool, I’ll say some things too! Bong seems like a legitimately nice guy with great taste!

23. Marvel with two ABC shows + Netflix and all the DC shows that just got picked up, good time to be a #Fanboy

24. Katherine215 says:

So are these murder mystery shows going to have new crimes every season or…? I’m not sure I like the idea of dragging out the mysteries for years. Forever could be interesting and the Marvel one, too.

• Kvivik says:

So looking forward to Forever. Loved Forever Knight, and this sounds much like that…plus anything with Judd Hirsch is at least worth a look.

• Tina says:

So glad someone else referenced FK. That was the first thing I thought of when I read the summary of Forever.

25. Babygate says:

How to Get Away with Murder is the one I had been waiting for. Although I agree that this is not the best pic of Viola Davis, having her on the small screen is unbelievable. Day made with these news. Distant second in interest is Agent Carter. Not interested in anything else. Especially Galavant. Is that going to play on Saturday morning? You have to wonder what is going on over there at ABC. After having such a horrible season you would think they would be avoiding the obvious duds…

26. Olga says:

SO EXCITED for Agent Carter! A Marvel show centered on a woman, this is fantastic! Love Hayley Atwell

• James says:

This! Although TV has more female centric stories, it’s cool to see Agent Carter picked up for that reason alone.

27. Cool, cool, cool, cool.

28. woodyinho says:

Forever sounds awful.

• S. says:

Forever sounds really interesting. Awful? I could see you not being impressed by a logline, but anybody being horrified by that is baffling.

• Jon says:

Forever sounds like Highlander Redux. But it’s the most interesting sounding out of this lot,

• Michelle says:

Forever sounds like New Amsterdam, except with a medical examiner instead of a detective.

29. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Analeigh Tipton? I’ve liked her since her days on America’s Next Top Model!

30. Pit TV says:

Awesome, can’t wait to see Agent Carter!

31. Lyss says:

Three words: Timothy Omundson’s beard.

Can’t wait for Galavant and that Tim will be back on my tv. Plus he gets to sing.

32. John NYC says:

A period show! (Carter). I liked the character a lot but thats a tough sell.

Well I’ll see how it goes.

33. Maris says:

Really bummed that Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s pilot (Exposed) wasn’t picked up, it looked interesting and I was definitely hoping to see her on my screen every week

34. JeffDJ says:

Yay for Agent Carter! Loved Hayley Atwell in Captain America. And as I was a fan of “New Amsterdam” back in the day, I’ll definitely give “Forever” a look – I’ve got a weak spot for immortality stories!

35. otomen87 says:

Laurence
    Fishburne? What happen to Hannibal?

36. cjeffery7 says:

ok, i get it. Peggy Carter/Hayley Atwell is pretty boss, but i think there IS such a thing as over-saturating the market. just please don’t have them air on the same night.

• Alia says:

I think they’re going to do the hiatus-fill thing that they were originally going to do with OUAT: Wonderland (before they got greedy and gave it a full season, which ultimately doomed it).

37. Ray says:

ABC always has a nice assortment. It’s a veritable grab bag of perennial TV innovation.

38. Spencer says:

A show with Lily Rabe about aliens inhabitating children’s bodies?? Sign me up!

39. Lysh says:

I fell off the SHIELD bandwagon back after episode 4, but I’m going to give it another try and it’s on my binge list for the summer. So I don’t want to get too excited for Agent Carter because AoS let me down. But. A female led 50’s period Marvel show sounds amazing.
    Selfie is the worst name for a show, but I’ll probably check it out for Karen Gillan and John Cho.

• alexjones says:

you should stick with shield, it really picks up around two thirds of the way through.

• Alia says:

Yep, after Winter Soldier, it got MUCH better. AND episodes that had previously been kind of boring got better retroactively once we knew about The Twist. (They might have been better off premiering at midseason, TBH. Oh, well.)

40. tv2day says:

Nothing of interest for me. Before scandal the last ABC show I watched regularly was Spenser for hire when I was a youngster.

• Wow. Those two shows could not have any less similarity.
      In that one was a decently written and produced show … and the other is Scandal.

• Julie says:

I understand the concept of to each their own but millions of people disagree with you and Shonda Rhimes is laughing all the way to the bank.

41. I don’t think there’s room in the schedule for all these..not with all the renewals that have been announced. Maybe a lot are mid season, short run shows.

42. JB Smooove says:

black-ish sounds ok, but ill follow anthony anderson anywhere. I like him both serious (L&O) and comedy (guys with kids being the most recent)

43. Happy says:

Yes for Analeigh Tipton! Love her since antm and now she has her own show!

44. Maria says:

What about the Dangerous Liaisons pilot, Secrets & Lies, or Sea of Fire? It seems like ABC’s taking a pass on promising nighttime soaps, which is a definite shame.

45. CBWBDK1 says:

I’m so glad abc picked up agent carter! Hayley Atwell is fantastic!

46. Alia says:

I’ll take Agent Carter and Selfie, and then see what else gets good buzz.

47. Dan says:

Well this sounds original. *cough* It’s a shame they’re not cops or something.

48. Dan says:

Oh, the “good” (as in, “not at all”) old feminine ABC line-up… Nothing even remotely interesting in all that, maybe with the exception Agent Carter. I mean, another rom-com with differences between men and women? More ridiculous Shonda Rhimes “plot”lines? Shenanigans from some self-absorbed urban girl? Adventures of a handsome prince? Seriously, cancel all these already before they even start.

49. Liz says:

Really excited about Galavant and Forever, though I know Galavant is probably the most risky. What are their plans for Agent Carter? Are they scheduling it’s a filler for AOS or is it a full series?

50. Amy says:

I’m excited for Agent Carter…I will probably give Selfie (Loved Gillan on Who), the new Shonda and Galavant a try…other than Carter though nothing’s screaming at me but it will also depend on when they’re on, we shamelessly watch the entire ABC block on Wednesday even Nashville (which I’ve stopped enjoying but at the same time I kinda care about the characters so if I don’t turn it off after Modern Family the tv stays on)