Exclusive

American Idol Exclusive: Top 4 Song Spoilers!

011304Heartbreak and redemption will take center stage on American Idol when the Season 13 Top 4 tackle the theme of “Break-Ups/Make-Ups” tonight (8/7c on Fox).

Which anthems made the cut with Jena, Jessica, Alex and Caleb? TVLine has the exclusive details!

RELATED | Your May Finales Calendar: What’s Ending When?

Alex Preston
Coldplay’s “Yellow” (never covered on Idol)
Alex Clare’s “Too Close” (never covered on Idol)

Jena Irene
Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling in Love” (previously covered by Tim Urban and Katharine McPhee)
Pat Benatar’s “Heartbreaker” (previously covered by Jordin Sparks and Nikki McKibbin)

RELATED | American Idol: Will Caleb’s ‘R-Word’ Dustup (or Last Week’s Top 5 Twist) Factor Into Your Voting?

Caleb Johnson
Paul McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed” (previously done by Crystal Bowersox and James Durbin)
Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love A Bad Name” (previously done by Burnell Taylor and — in epic fashion — by Blake Lewis)

[UPDATE: New Zealand iTunes has a preview of Caleb's cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Travelin' Band," which obviously doesn't fit the week's theme. I've reached out to Fox publicity to find out about this discrepancy, but my best guess is this: Whoever makes the Top 3 will immediately be headed back to hometown visits (and won't be in L.A. to hit the recording studio). Therefore, it would make sense for all the Idols to pre-record a Top 3 Week track prior to Thursday's results show. In other words, if Caleb makes the Top 3, expect to hear "Travelin' Band" on his set list.]

Jessica Meuse
Lady Gaga’s “You and I” (previously done by Elise Testone and — in epic fashion — by Haley Reinhart)
Kelly Clarkson’s “Since U Been Gone” (previously done by Todrick Hall)

SNAP JUDGMENT: I’m worried about Jessica Meuse. Tackling Kelly Clarkson on Idol is about as safe as swimming with sharks while sporting a gaping leg wound. “You and I,” despite being done twice in recent seasons, seems like the stronger chance for a “moment.” Still, not the best job of avoiding song traps, sister!

The other contestant whose choices could be disastrous is Caleb Johnson. Blake Lewis’ “You Give Love a Bad Name” was one of the greatest Idol moments of all time, and it’s hard to imagine Caleb doing anything nearly as inventive with the 1986 rock anthem. “Maybe I’m Amazed” gives the Season 12 rocker a double-dose of ditties that are older than him — and could call to mind a fellow rocker who landed in fourth place (James Durbin).

Alex wins the prize this week for choosing two tunes never covered during the live rounds — and although “Too Close” was too ubiquitous during Hollywood Week this year, it gives him one more opportunity to pull off something aggressive and uptempo. “Yellow,” meanwhile, is right in his wheelhouse — although you have to wonder if it’s too much so. (I really hoped we’d see Alex take one swing at reinventing a pop or EDM track in his signature troubador style. Opportunity missed. Sigh.)

Jena, like Caleb, has nothing current in her set list — but wisely, her picks represent wildly different tones, moods, and tempos. “Heartbreaker” might be a little too similar to her Top 6 week “Barracuda,” but it’s an uptempo jam that still has vocal range. Of her two choices, “Can’t Help Falling in Love” might be the better shot at a true moment-moment.

What do you think of the Top 4′s song selections? Who’s most likely to succeed? Whose choice puts ‘em most at risk going into the night? Sound off in the comments!

1. Wow, bold choices for Jessica. If she pulls those off, she might just make the top 3 after all. Love Jena’s choices, too. Caleb needs to step away from the Bon Jovi – Blake Lewis owns that song in the Idol universe.

• fatalsin says:

Caleb really shouldnt… was my first thought!

• ULTIMATUM says:

Why is Jessica Meuse no longer a country singer?

• I don’t think she ever really considered herself a country singer. If you look at her YouTube channel, she’s got more pop and rock covers than country. Having said that, she may well do Gaga’s “country version” of “You and I.”

• Name This Tune says:

Given the number of times we’ve seen You and I on these singing competitions, just what do you think Jessica is going to bring to it? Has she suddenly developed rhythm when she sings?

• Alia says:

I can only recall “You and I” the two times listed above. Were there others?

• Name That Tune says:

Amelia Lily You And I Sings for survival – The X Factor Live Results
            Briana Cuoco You And I The Voice USA 2013 Auditions
            Luke Edgemon vs. Monique Abbadie – The Voice Highlight

Not to mention
            Kelly Clarkson – “You And I”(Lady Gaga cover)

• Matrix says:

@Name – singing in the pocket has never been a problem for Jessica.

• Kelsey says:

Name That’s Tune’s constant, obsessive attempts to try to knock or undermine everything Jessica does are starting to get creeeeeeeeepy.

• Name That Tune says:

So have you checked out your girl’s version of You and I? It’s straight up country. And she’s headed for a 4th place finish.

• Kelsey says:

Hey, if she goes out in 4th place, she goes out in 4th place. That is perfectly respectable considering she was never one of the producers’ favorites. And at least her spot was fully earned minus any manipulation (*cough* Jena *cough*).

• PGV says:

I think Jess is more of a Southern Rock singer. She’s tweeted that’s one of her favorite genres. Plus, just because she’s singing two pop songs, doesn’t mean she can’t give both a southern rock twist, like she has before.

• Mary says:

Yes, Carrie didn’t do everything country. I think her Heart song (can’t remember the name and I should because I swear it was that performance that won her Idol), she just put her own take on it. Listen, we already know exactly what the comments will be for her. JLO will use the guise of helping her, by pointing out flaws, and Keith will just not like it because she won’t “connect.” Alex, however, will stand in the same place, not move much, have dead eyes, and he will be the second coming. Caleb really can’t do too much wrong, either. And, right now, jena could sing completely out of tune and they’d say it was awesome. I hope I’m wrong, but . . .

• RingoP says:

Her iTunes version of You & I sounds pretty country to me. That’s the change up I guess.

• PGV says:

Love her iTunes version of You and I! She Definitely countrified the song and it suits her Perfectly!

• Name That Tune says:

Elizabeth Gillies has already given us a country cover of You and I.

• PGV says:

Name that Tune, have to agree with others. Your obsession with Jess Is creepy! Did she turn you down or something?!? lol

• Paula says:

So true, Blake was amazing… but I don’t see Calab bit boxing through the song .

• Tall says:

I thought Blake was an annoying joke contestant his entire ride through AI…begging for attention with his little boy (left at home) sounds. I won’t mind listening to another take on Bon Jovi…especially one with a big, powerful, voice like Caleb’s.

• Tammy says:

Left at home!! LOL And later…Blake was leaning on the gym wall as in WALLFLOWER, SHORT, and BEIGE. JMHO

• Zane says:

beat boxing

• Matt says:

Nothing that really wows me there, but think that Caleb and Jessica are probably in the worst shape going into the episode. We’ll see what they do with it. Maybe Caleb should have taken some suggestions from America and picked a different song.

• Christian says:

Blake Who ???? How long ago was that ??

• Doesn’t matter how long ago it was – anyone who was watching Idol at the time remembers it, I promise.

• pmet says:

I totally agree, Lara(@livehead16). Blake’s rendition was an epic Idol moment and is well remembered many many years later. Caleb may do a good job with it, but it will not touch Blake’s moment.

• Prissy says:

If by epic, you mean bad. With that performance, I knew Blake would not win Idol, and would not have a successful post Idol career. Ranks with Lambert’s “Ring of Fire” as least favorite Idol renditions of otherwise great songs.

• moonriver22 says:

I don’t, and I was definitely watching. I’m also a huge Bon Jovi fan. But I don’t have any recollection of it.

• HTGR says:

I don’t recall it either. Just checked it on youtube and yeah not my thing at all. Not. At . All. I’d be stunned if Caleb does do something with it that I like a whole ton better.

• Matrix says:

I think Blake’s was so different that his and Caleb’s performance won’t be comparable – apples and oranges. There is room for both interpretations.

• Brigid says:

So true!

• MikeLacey says:

I think if Jess stays COMPLETELY away from the original and stays to break it down to an acoustic version, she can pull off the angst of the song – she just needs to stay away from Kelly’s version, cause she will get torn apart – im holding out for a moment – she deserves one

• Name That Tune says:

You mean something like this
        You & I Cover – Elizabeth Gillies

• Kelsey says:

Name That Tune, MikeLacey was talking about Clarkson’s song, not Gaga’s.

• Name That Tune says:

If you’ve listened to Jessica’s version of You and I, it’s not a Kelly Clarkson version. It’s Elizabeth Gillies.

• Kelsey says:

I actually am currently listening to Gillies’ version because of your comments. It doesn’t really sound all that similar to Jessica’s tbh. ??

• Name That Tune says:

Closer to Gillies than Clarkson, Rheinhart, and Gaga. Which is going to upset the apple cart.
            But the more challenging song for Jessica will be Pink’s So What. There’s gotta be swagger to that.

• PGV says:

Listened to Gillies’ version of You and I, and it’s not the same as Jess’ at all. Gillies’ is a faster tempo, and not as Country. Actually like Jess’ version better! Also like the tone of Jess’ voice better than Gillies’.

• Jaszy says:

Ooh, I love Jade! Elizabeth Gillies is great!

• PGV says:

Agree Jess can totally pull Kelly’s song off if she takes a different track. HOWEVER, you KNOW either Keith or JLo will say they like Kelly’s version better! Anyone want to bet??

• Yo says:

Go for it, Jessica!

• HTGR says:

Yeah bold and scary choices for Jessica. There sure is a history of judges realllly slamming those they don’t like on You and I too. And the audience can get prickly over Kelly Clarkson stuff (and it gives judges easy ammo to if they wanna shoot).

• PGV says:

So now we get the Spoiler that each contestant is singing 3 songs. Wonder why Idol was keeping that low-key?

Caleb – Travelin Band by CCR
      Jess – So What by Pink
      Jena – Bad Rimance by Lady Gaga
      Alex – I’m Yours by Jason Mraz (not positive)

• PGV says:

*Bad Romance lol

• Alice says:

I’m really interested to hear Jena’s take on Bad Romance. The others seem too safe/typical — if Alex actually sings I’m Yours it will be like sitting down in his wheelhouse, locking the door, and making it clear no envelopes will be pushed – ever

• gloria murphy says:

the only good thing about the show this year are the judges, whom i love. as far as the idols! None of them are recording artist worthy. no record lables. sorry but i would not download

• Kerry says:

I like all four here is how it goes Caleb , Alex , Jessica, and last jena Rockers never have won so hoping for Caleb he will do better in the business than most just like
      Daultry.

• John Olfactix says:

Jena’s version of Elvis’ tune was nearly identical to Ingrid Michaelson’s artistic version…Jena did nothing original and quite possibly a complete rip-off.

• Frederik Kruis says:

I don’t think the two compared at all. There might be some simelarities, mainly theyt are both female. But Jena’s version was far superior.

• my krav is bettah says:

People.STOP RAGGING ON THESE TALENTED AND COURAGEOUS PEOPLE. Jena Got in front of millions on live tv and sang her heart into a huge Elvis hit.

2. Sarah says:

You and I? Haley Reinhart? Damn, Jess, you know how to provoke JLo!!

• Paris says:

Maybe not. As much as JLo despised Haley, she might say Jess did it better than the previous singer did it. She may not love Jess, but she hates Haley.

• moonriver22 says:

J-:Lo has never liked pretty girls.

• Renee says:

Do you think JLo and Randy will still think it’s too obscure? Lol that was a weird moment even for idol

• Alia says:

But hadn’t it not been released at the time? Still, I’d have seen that as a positive.

• tealeaves says:

Yes, they showed Jimmy pitching it to her as a Gaga song that she had played live but had not yet been released. Haley gave a great performance of it. The WTF comment for that one was when JLo told her it was a bad song choice because it was unknown. It was a great song choice, and a great performance.

• HTGR says:

very weird moment for the judges, especially with Gaga herself there and praising it

3. Nat says:

I gotta say, other than Alex’s choices, the others are all songs I can think of another Idol contestant having at least a minor moment with. I wish there was a little more innovation – I can’t help but think these choices were slightly foisted on the contestants, or they were given quite limited song lists…
    Also, with You and I Jess Meuse continues to earn credit as the Haley of S13!

• akramwwhhoo says:

Yeah, too much repeat song choice this week! Sheesh Only alex’s has never been performed on idol before. I thought this season is about fresh song!

• HTGR says:

yeah they were probably told to chose two songs out of these two choices

4. Some chick says:

Jess best hope Caleb gets the boot over his controversy this week. She has two songs that spell trouble. Kelly and Gaga songs tend to get people sent home.

5. Kaba says:

Woah with Jess’s choices.
    Bold… Particularly the Kelly song. That song is range-y

• sheba says:

Yes, I’m surprised at them, too. I can’t really see her picking the Kelly song on her own. It’s a great song, but the rangy belting that song requires doesn’t play to her strengths. I hope she’s got something planned to make the song fit her voice and style.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Holy smokes! I wouldn’t touch that song with a 10 foot pool. The beginning is SOO crazy low and the top is a G or an F# if I’m not mistaken. Jess is toast. She doesn’t have the chops to pull off the bottom and the top. Gonna have to remember to watch that one.

6. Sarah says:

On Itunes, Caleb is listed with Travelin’ Band?

7. HannaB says:

Caleb was unhappy with the Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing, yet he’s singing You Give Love a Bad Name? That song sent someone home last season. I’m not always happy with Jessica’s song choices, but then she rocks them! So let’s hope she does it again this week!

8. Alan says:

If Jena does “Can’t Help Falling…” in the vein of Ingrid MIchaelson she could have a really big moment with it.

• Sarah says:

She said last week that she would bring back the piano this week. I think this could be a moment.

• Eurydice says:

Maybe, but Jena has a habit of sounding like a foghorn when she wants to be intense. It’s not an attractive sound.

9. my krav is bettah says:

The Pat Benetar choice is smart. She will shred this song in a good way. I was selfishly hoping to see Jena on the piano tonight.

Looking forward to tonight’s shown.

10. ME says:

Looking forward to Caleb’s rendition of the Paul McCartney song more than anything else. I am hoping it goes better than the aerosmith cover.
    Jena and Alex seem to be playing it safe. And I think Jessica might change up Kelly Clarkson’s song a bit to fit her style if I had to guess. I just can’t see her performing it the original way.

11. Mary says:

The sing choices for Caleb could not bring a moment..nor Jessica..It is Alex and Jenas night..as much as I like Caleb..he might not make the top 2

• Mary says:

Different Mary, but if Jessica pulls it off this could be a moment for her. I’m a little worry but keeping my fingers cross. Caleb will sound okay but probably will sound like the originals. Not to thrill with any of the song choices except one of Alex, but he is not my cup of tea. Jena should be good but a little nervous on Elvis song. I hope it is an entertaining night.

• MamaLis says:

I hope Alex has “a night” because I’m a fan of his. But listening to Coldplay/Yellow on youtube, man, that song just goes on and on and on into nowhere. It seems he would have to do something brilliant with it or it could go seriously _________flat.

12. RCorp says:

I have a feeling that JLo is going to tell Jessica that it wasn’t as good as Haley, which will be totally insane to hear considering how hard JLo was on Haley that season… or rather how transparent the judges were that season with regards to to Haley. Haley 4-ever!

• Paris says:

Doubt it. She hates Haley too much to say she did it better.

• HTGR says:

+1 She will, if anything, say it brought her awful flashbacks from S10 of a prior ‘trainwreck’.

• Name This Tune says:

Since Kelly Clarkson has covered You and I, it’s unlikely that JLo will bring up Hale . Because Miss Clarkson brought fire to this song.

13. mal43 says:

Maybe they changed Caleb’s song because he really did give Love (for his fans) a “Bad Name”

14. Christian says:

Saw the Voice for the first time Monday. The Guy Josh who sang “I can’t make you love me” was just amazing. I can’t even stand that song. Its funny he looked like an average guy but had a voice that just blew me away. Alex looks like your average guy but doesn’t even come close vocally to Josh on the voice. Its so weird that Alex is getting such praise. The guy shows no emotion when he sings. He just stands there with a guitar…….. So So So boring and one dimensional. Seems like a nice guy but vocally is so average its ridiclious. Lee Deweyze won and where is he now ? There quite similar vocally meaning (one dimensional). Some of the few male idol contestants that have made sucessful careers for themselves are Chris Daghtry, Adam Lambert, David Cook (for a while at least and no one can question the fact that he has a great voice) Phil Philips ok voice had a charisma about him that Alex lacks and Scotty Mccreery whos country . For what ever reason the country community is very receptive to new artists unlike other genres. Good luck to Idol if Alex wins thats all I can say.

15. GoCaleb says:

Ugh I hated that Blakes STTH rendition. Way to mess with a great song and ruin it. Too far off the original and lacking serious punch. Caleb will smash it just like the Whitesnake performance!

16. Becky says:

Michael, I thought Brooke White covered “Yellow”? I remember it being the first time I had heard the song, and loved it.

17. moonriver22 says:

I will never understand the fixation with songs that have been covered already. If I love a song, I’m always interested to see what a new vocalist does with it. I loved Haley’s version of You and I, and I look forward to seeing what Jess does with it. Oh, and I liked the original, too!

• Jen says:

I don’t understand the aversion to songs covered on Idol before either. In general I don’t like hearing songs that have been done to death, but that is different than saying a song should only be sung once (or twice in the case of most of these songs).

• Hayder B. Haydin says:

There’s really three different concepts at work here. The first, of course, is the annoyance of songs that have been done to death on this and other singing shows. This one makes sense to me. If I have to hear “Hallelujah” one more time I’ll probably change the channel and never watch again. The second is some songs just happen to have been sung by performers who were voted off. To some people, those songs seem to be cursed. I think this view is kind of silly, as it ignores the equally likely possibility that those performers were the weakest remaining at those times. Finally, some people identify certain songs with past performers, and feel that they have been granted ownership of those songs such that they should never be done again. Never mind that some of those performances were so long ago that only a smattering of current viewers may have seen them or remember them. Ignore the fact that those previous competitors are not in the competition to this season, so nobody can vote for them anyway. To some people, anything previously performed by the Supreme Goddess, Haley Reinhart, should never be performed again. Ever. By anyone. This, to me, is just plain silly.

• HTGR says:

True, if it’s a good song, it’s a good song. I never got the I never want to hear that song on these shows ever again thing at all.

18. Becky says:

I think Jess will do well. She knows what she is up against.

• Hopefully with “Can’t Help Falling In Love” she does the Ingrid Michaelson version. I like the Elvis version, obviously, but Ingrid’s seems much more in Jena’s style, especially if she is playing the piano.

19. Amber says:

Hmm not feeling Jess’ songs, and Jena’s arent that great either. I cant imagine her doing the Elvis song well, and I’m just tired of Heartbreaker but that one she might do better on. Caleb’s is ok. Maybe I’m Amazed he should kill. Not sure about Bon Jovi, but I get giddy whenever a Bon Jovi song is done on the show, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for him to rock it. I hate Yellow, but its a good choice for Alex, and Too close is too. He probably picked wisest.

• Steve says:

I’m a little worried about Jena singing “Can’t Help Falling In Love”. There are some low notes in there and vocally that’s her only weakness.

20. Erika says:

I’m willing to bet Randy won’t tell guess in the pre-performance video that You and I “really isn’t that great of a song,” like he once told Haley, a year before it became a smash hit.

21. Sara says:

Alex & Jena are gonna kill it. I think they’re gonna be top contenders of the night, easily, with these song choices. Excited for Caleb’s “You Give Love A Bad Name” – think it’s gonna be good, despite all the dumb moves he made last week. He might be a lot more arrogant than I thought he was, but dude can still rock. I think Jessica is in trouble. “Since U Been Gone” is going to wreck her chances. She’ll do “You & I” well but…nobody should ever do “Since U Been Gone” – especially someone who gets picked apart by the judges consistently. Gonna be rough for her, I think.

22. MAB says:

I am excited for Alex’s songs. I love Yellow by Coldplay. It is one of my favorites. It is going to be an interesting night.

• Sondra says:

UGH! Can’t stand Alex! He hides behind his guitar and the mik. What a loser!

• Phillips says:

I for one am glad Alex hides… he has a face that could stop a train and the eyes of a corpse. I keep thinking “constipated beaver” when I see him. He is nothing more than the 2000s version of Tiny Tim!!!!

• MamaLis says:

And … WTH? Easy killers.
        Being that the room would erupt in uproar had we said this about a female, I’m going to protest just the same. Alex is hugely talented and appears to be a totally earnest guy to me. There’s also nothing unfortunate about his appearance.
        I, for one, am hoping for an Alex Home Town visit!!!!!!!!!
        → Go Alex!!

• Don says:

If anybody should be hiding, it is you. You clearly are ugly on the inside.

23. Tim Pajak says:

“You and I” an original by Jessica! I hope she nails Kelly’s song too!

• Timmah says:

It’s not the Gaga song?

• Mary says:

You and I is not an original it is a GaGa song.

• ElleKay says:

Jess has an original with the same title but I’m fairly sure it’s the Gaga song she’s doing.

• Tim says:

let’s hope it’s not GaGa’s song! :) it could be lights out if she brings her own material into play!

• Name This Tune says:

If Jessica wanted to be original, she would choose the One Direction or Ingrid Michaelson version of You and I. The Lady Gaga version has been covered by everyone. I see a country version of it coming from Jessica and it’s not going to be pretty.

• Lindsey says:

Actually her iTunes recording is the best of the bunch this week. You will just be negative toward anything does because you’ve been hating on her all season long either under this name or your troll alias “Jill Moya”

• Name That Tune says:

Best of the bunch? Only Jessica and Jena have songs up on iTunes right now. Alex has nothing up for this week and for some strange reason they have Caleb doing Travelin’ Band.

• MAB says:

Alex’s song is up. I already downloaded it. It’s Too Close.

• Kelsey says:

Yes, best of the bunch, Jill Moya. The songs have all been released internationally (they were up in Asia and New Zealand some time ago). I’m not sure about U.S. iTunes.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Those aren’t three different versions of the same song–they are three completely different songs with the same name.

24. Woodmeister says:

Hoping for the best but fearing for the worst. Doing songs that others on Idol have done before just invites too many comparisons. The comparisons may be good or bad, but either way it may prove polarizing.

Alex may be making the smartest choice here by doing some songs never done on Idol before and I wish the others had that as well.

I wonder if Caleb actually pick these songs himself or did someone(s) tweet him with suggestions😉

25. Renee says:

But does Too Close really count as an uptempo song?? And Alex will prob add a dose of emo to slow it down further. I like Alex but I’m just thinking about what Michael and Melinda said re him not really having earned the win if he never nails an uptempo performance. (I like sweater weather though:))

26. Ashley says:

I think Jena is being underestimated here. Her doing Pat Benatar is cool because of who Pat is (or was), one of the best rock females of all time. Jena covering her is kind of a big deal.

What’s an even BIGGER deal is Jena doing “Can’t Help Falling In Love”. I think Jena will be doing the Ingrid Michaelson version (she opened for Ingrid in MI once), back at the piano, and it will be soft and spectacular. It will be yet another memorable night for Jena.

Jessica will fail at the Kelly song, because it should be a song for Jena, who is more capable of a song like that. HOWEVER, I don’t underestimate Jessica’s potential to sing “You and I”, only because that song style suits her voice much more than other modern songs, and while Jess’s voice usually grates on me, I might actually enjoy this one from her. IF she can sing with some emotion for a change (“Human Again” felt very forced).

I wish Alex wasn’t doing either song, regardless of how cool it is they haven’t been done on the idol stage (although many times during auditions & hollywood week). I don’t think either one suits him, but he’ll get song choice points, especially since Caleb is going to have a very blah night with his cheesy Bon Jovi cover, and boring Paul McCartney choice. The older age group might appreciate it, but I think it’s a little late in the competition for those choices. He may be in the bottom 2 tomorrow, even without his hiccup interview last week.

That’s my take on it, anyway.

27. joey says:

La Voz Kids. On Telemundo. 8:00 PM Eastern, 7:00 PM Central. That’s entertainment. Blake sucks. Seems very few people go back farther than season 6. Idol was already going in a downhill direction at that time.

La Voz Kids!!!! Now that’s fresh.

28. Brian says:

Re: “Where is Lee DeWyze now”? He just recorded an album somewhat in the Mumford & Sons vein, and finished a run of dates opening for Toad the Wet Sprocket. I saw him live – his stuff is OK when he sings midrange, but he still strains way too much and his upper range comes off as goatlike.

29. ElleKay says:

Looks like Alex is getting the Christina Grimmie treatment over on Idol. He’s the only one who got current and relevant songs picked for him. I’m sure Jena Jess and Caleb can salvage their song choices one way or another but I’m wondering how much any of them had a say in their song choices.

• Timmah says:

It’s not a good thing for Alex though, because the Idol viewership skews much older than The Voice. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets eliminated this week.

• Mary says:

From your lips to God’s ear. If he doesn’t go I am hoping it is Caleb. I want my two girls in there and get a hometown visit.

• ElleKay says:

Idol has had a much more current song list this season than The Voice. With Sam gone, it looks like the producers are pushing for a WGWG win again. I personally want to see a Jena and Jess finale, but we shall see.

• Jaszy says:

I also would LOVE a Jena and Jessica finale. But after tonight, Jessica appeared as the weakest. It sucks because she’s been my favorite this whole season.
          Love you Jessica. Jena, you better WIN!

• tealeaves says:

Jessica’s songs are just as current. Her oldest pick is Since You’ve Been Gone, which is newer than Alex’s Yellow.

30. Forwardad says:

I like Alex and I like Jena. I would like Jess to be in the finals just so we can go to Slapout! I hope Caleb goes home just for his insensitive comments.

31. :( says:

Watch the judges like jessica tonight just so there can be home visit to slapout alabama haha

32. GuitarBlue says:

Even considering expanded cable channels and other interests that compete with Idol’s former 15 to 20 million viewers of a few years ago

—————————————————-still, one of the problems with keeping and attracting new audience ——————————-

is that half the song base the contestants are pushed to use —- are overworked, redone by this years crop — almost like –let’s stick a different face on the song and re-do a composite of the past 5 years of singing talent shows. A lot of people I know have gotten bored with this and no longer get interested in the show………. I still enjoy the show, but don’t get as much company on Idol night as I used to.

…………………. Alex does show some very current, different artistic dimension, Jena puts a current spin on things with her energetic approach. “Creep” got her recognized in the current Pop/alternative music buyers market. Is this the 3rd or 4th song that Jessica is doing, that was also done by Haley?????

33. joel3907 says:

Alex Preston
    “Yellow” will be the same old Alex high-voice, plinky guitar, ugly-expression thing. His approach was refreshing and pleasant 100 weeks ago, but now it’s lost its novelty, and his facial expressions are so off-putting that I can’t stand to watch anymore. As a musician he’s got great skills, as an entertainer he’s severely — and fatally — handicapped. He might do well on the radio since we won’t have to look at him, but this is still a TV show first and foremost.

Jena Irene
    I’ve been imagining Jena doing Pat Benatar for weeks and weeks. She’s gonna nail it. And who cares if it’s like Barracuda — at this point, contestants should d what they do best and stick to it. As far as Presley, if it’s the slow, straight-as-an-arrow song in my head, then it’s a horrible choice unless she speeds it up and makes it a bit more punk-like. Jena needs to stay in that Benatar-meets-Lorde zone and not think she can actually sing melody. Nobody wants to hear her bizarre but catchy inflections and pronunciations in a ballad. It’s like putting hot sauce on a Romaine salad. It may end up being the worst performance of the night.

Caleb Johnson
    “Maybe I’m Amazed” will be predictably terrible during the slow parts and awesome during the loud parts. Caleb only does one thing well, and it’s not singing melody. The more he belts out, the better for him and for my ears. I think the Bon Jovi will be a solid B, thanks to his likely commitment to it, and you know he’ll nail the final “You Give Looooooooo-oove…” Blake was inventive, but he had no authentic toughness in his tone as I recall. Caleb will bring more raw, messy strength to it. Let’s also remember Blake probably had the most lopsided 2nd place loss in AI history.

Jessica Meuse
    Jessica succeeds mostly on obscure songs, because it’s when she does popular songs that her eyes betray her the most. so I predict typical Meus-zak on both Gaga and Clarkson. Pretty singing, dead eyes. And goodbye to Meuse tomorrow.

• Lindsey says:

“Jessica succeeds mostly on obscure songs, because it’s when she does popular songs that her eyes betray her the most.”

That is a weird statement. I feel the opposite actually! She sang two contemporary hits last week and seemed far more emotionally connected to those than in her previous performances!

34. Jill Moya says:

Jena doing Elvis???? That’s comedy! At least she may be at the piano and will spare us with her flapping her arms around in that ridiculous striped outfit! Caleb, should not be forgiven….HE SHOULD GO HOME….PERIOD! Alex needs to go potty before performing and Jessica is the one I truly dislike! She was all set to go but Caleb had to ruin that scenario! Why is this show still 2 hours? What a waste of excess time. Well, soon we’ll see how the singing goes. I can assure you, these four singers will be a distant memory after AI….nothing memorable about any of them! Also, no black singers in the top 4? We need a little sole on the show! Plenty goo ones were eliminated for no reason. Oh well!

• wins says:

1. Jena’s Elvis song will be a “moment.”
      2. It was a stripped SHIRT. Not really an unusual thing.
      3. Are you six years old or something?
      4. They are all, always distant memories after the season’s over. That’s no big prediction.
      5. You want “sole” on the show. What is that? You want more shoes or something?
      6. Why do you even bother with Idol?

35. Jill Moya says:

Meant plenty GOOD black singers were eliminated. I’m sure you commentary can think of at least 4 or 5!

36. Jill Moya says:

Commentars

37. Catniss says:

Maybe everyone should let the top 4 perform before any judgements are being made?

38. danin says:

Go Caleb..

39. Jules says:

I really love Alex’s choices.. I just hope that people have calmed down since last week when people jumped all over him for voting No (as far as I know it’s never been confirmed who voted No) and threatening to change their votes from him to anyone else. #1 that’s childish and #2 those that voted No are the only ones that really understand that this is an individual competition! I say bravo to them. I would absolutely LOVE to see Alex’s hometown visit. He would be visiting the campus of UNH which is about 10 minutes from me and is where I grew up. that would be amazing.

40. I.D. Know says:

Caleb has to GO!

He is a public relations NIGHTMARE!

41. Go Spurs Go says:

The contestants are singing 3 songs each tonight:

Caleb Johnson’s THIRD song is “Travelin Band”

Jena Irene’s THIRD song is “Bad Romance”

Jessica Meuse’ Third Song is “So What” by Pink (not confirmed)

Alex Preston’s Third song is “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz (not confirmed)

42. wins says:

I don’t think any of it really matters at this point. The Idol bubble exists here so we go on about song selection, etc.Down the the final four it’s pretty cut and dried. The general population will eliminate Jess this week, Alex next week, and Caleb will win the battle between he and Jena for the title.

43. Michael Johns says:

I’m actually furious at Jessica for allowing herself to sing these songs. Tsk. Not really gonna be surprised when she gets the boot. Oh, well. I hope Caleb still goes home.

44. Michael Johns says:

Yep. Jus saw the performace. It’s probably the worst performance of the season. She was so off.

45. The Professor says:

You called it, Slezak. Jena’s “I Can’t Help” was — Am I really about to type this phrase? Let’s say I’m quoting you and not RJ — the moment moment of the season.

46. Brewster says:

Jena’s cover of the EP song was awful and JLO’s run to her was unprofessional. Jess keeps getting dissed by the judges when she has steadily improved. Alex should be going home tonight but given the judges actions I believe it will be Jess, hope I’m wrong

47. Tired of the Old says:

I think the song choices of these contestants are very telling of how relevant they are. Caleb consistently picks songs from the 70’s and 80’s. Every big rock anthem was overplayed at the time and now you can see the same songs in any rock tribute band which is where Caleb belongs.
    Jena is picking the same kind of songs, but I think with her she is being forced more by either her mentor or her parents who grew up in that time. She is being told oh you are so like Pat Benatar, you should sing her songs.
    Jessica is trying harder to pick songs that will have an impact unfortunately she has strayed from her roots. She would probably do better with her own songs.
    Alex is the only one who has consistently chosen songs from this generation. Like him or not, he is much more in tune with current trends and music.