Mindy Project Finale Recap: Just a Boy, Standing in Front of a Girl, Asking Her to Love Him

The Mindy Project Season 2 Finale Recap

Warning: This recap, by its very nature, contains spoilers from Tuesday’s season finale of The Mindy Project. If you haven’t watched yet, scoot!

Mindy-Danny enthusiasts and rom-com fans alike had plenty to swoon over by the time The Mindy Project wrapped its second season Tuesday night.

Of course MFEO co-workers and pals Mindy and Danny wind up together by the end of the episode; after the way they’ve been smoldering since breaking up a few weeks back, Shulman & Associates was in danger of burning to the ground if the two docs didn’t finally become an official couple.

But before the reunion can happen, there are obstacles to surmount (such as Tim Daly’s gruffly sexy Charlie, and Danny’s tendency to change his mind at the worst possible moment) and movie homages to make (An Affair to Remember, Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally, most notably). So let’s review what takes place in “Danny and Mindy” — and then you’ll let us know what you thought of the season-ender. Cool?

MISSED CONNECTIONS | A week after making eyes with a cute stranger on the subway, Mindy finds a classified ad from the commuter, who calls himself “Andy” and seems to be talking directly to her. The starry-eyed physician strikes up a You’ve Got Mail-ish online correspondence with the too-good-to-be-true mystery guy… who turns out to be Danny! Morgan (of all people) figures out the ruse and confronts Dr. Castellano. “How’d you find out? How’d you find out?!” Danny says, amazed. He confesses that he created the virtual alter ego so that Mindy would fall in love with Andy and eventually, upon the big reveal, realize that she really loved Danny. “You’ve gotta make meeting Dr. L the perfect moment,” Morgan tells his boss, who’s planning to come clean that night, and when Tamra brings up the Empire State Building — the focal point of films like Affair and Sleepless – Danny thinks he’s got the evening sewn up.

SO MUCH FOR MY HAPPY ENDING | Mindy’s attempts to break up gently with Charlie become unnecessary when the cop is totally cool with her exploring her feelings for her mystery dude. He gives her a piece of advice — not to let “the rich kid from Staten Island” get in the way of her following her heart — and a kiss on the cheek, and then it’s 10-4, over and out for Det. Charlie. (We’ll miss you, Tim Daly!) Mindy stops by Danny’s place on her way to meet Andy, and casually mentions, “You were right about us not being together.” Her point: She’s sure he’s not into her, and she says she’s gotten over him, and they’re really good friends, so that’s cool, right? But she doesn’t see Danny’s face fall at hearing her words, and she doesn’t know that after she leaves, he scraps his plans to reveal his Andy-hood to her at the ESB. So she thinks she’s been stood up, and when it starts to rain, she gets a cold, to boot.

I’LL HAVE WHAT SHE’S HAVING | Danny’s attempts to come clean are thwarted when he visits a sick Mindy the next day, and all she wants to do is watch When Harry Met Sally and snuggle. As his voiceover informs us over a montage of the pair gallivanting around a golden-lit New York, maybe it’s not so bad to be just friends with such an awesome gal. But when they run into the guy Mindy thinks is Andy — and she beats the snot out of him until Danny confesses the truth — things go south. They argue all the way into the office, where he follows her into the ladies’ room and confesses his love. “I don’t believe you,” she says, starting to cry, “because you love me… until you don’t.” He begs for another chance, proposing another Empire State Building meet-up that night, but she tearfully declines.

CHANGE OF HEART | Mindy’s co-workers convince her to give Danny another shot, so she jets off to the Manhattan landmark. But Danny’s not there — when she didn’t show, he decided to grab a slice of pizza instead. (Smooth, Castellano.) Peter, Jeremy & Co. find the depressed doc chowing down and urge him to make good on his plan. So Danny takes off on a sprint through the city streets (a la Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally… if Harry got hit by a taxi on the way to the New Year’s party) as a malfunctioning elevator forces Mindy to climb to the top of the ESB. They reunite on the roof deck, where Mindy’s wheezing like Darth Vader with asthma. While The Cars’ “Drive” plays in the background, Danny once more professes his love, they bicker about how many children they’ll have, and then Drs. L and C  make out like they’re in the airplane galley all over again. (Ass grab FTW!)

What did you think of The Mindy Project‘s season finale? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. Jackie says:

All the feels :)

2. Poppy says:

Perfect!!

3. Anita says:

It was a great episode and a great season finale but didn’t feel like an “ending” so I’m happy we get season three!

4. Jess says:

Sooo good! Thank you Mindy Kaling! And Chris Messina can smolder….

5. Meg C says:

Ass grab FTW indeed!! I haven’t swooned over a couple like this in years!

6. Rebecca Parker says:

Please make Chris Messina the Performer of the Week. That bathroom scene, omg. All the feels in the world.

7. Aleana says:

Amazing love it

8. kro says:

Where can I find a real life Danny?

9. meg says:

Agreed. Chris Messina-performer of the week. That bathroom scene alone sealed it for me. He is amazing.

10. Elise says:

I’m so glad they’re together and Chris Messina was amazing but I was disappointed with the episode as a whole. It felt TOO corny and too tonally confusing for an episode of Mindy. I was ultimately disappointed.

11. delia says:

wow, nice job with the quick recap that even included some witty lines about smoldering turning into a building fire!

favorite scene … the one where danny is getting all bradley cooper-ed out but mindy comes up. such an awesome mix of funny lines, a funny situation, and also serious feelings.

danny + mindy make me happy enough that i’m willing to overlook some of the contrived feeling parts of the episode, and the lack of any real participating by the other cast. i am ready for next season to do the ensemble cast thing better. as much as i love mindy and her attitude/perspective/one-liners, and mindy + danny, if it just goes to that the show as a comedy will suffer.

12. Joel says:

Who is the actor that played Andy in the episode?

13. Sam says:

Anybody else shocked by this ending, saw it coming a mile away. Not that I didn’t like it.

14. Sam says:

Eh. I like the result BUT the “Andy” story was stupid. It took up too much time and was ultimately boring and annoying.

• S. says:

No it wasn’t. It was a You’ve Got Mail homage, as was the visiting her in bed when she was sick. The being friends with her around NYC thing was partially that, partially When Harry Met Sally (both obviously Nora Ephron films). He was bonding with her as a friend before the reveal, probably hoping on some level she’d fall for him again while they were hanging out a la Hanks and Ryan in YGM. YGM (and its predecessors, The Shop Around the Corner and In the Good Old Summertime) also features the guy standing the woman up on a blind date. Did Danny get the idea after watching that movie in an attempt to get into the things Mindy likes, or did he do it by accident is the question.

• S. says:

Get the idea for “Andy” and the big reveal that it was really him all along, I mean. I don’t think he stood her up based on that movie.

• D says:

You are kind of my new favorite person, rarely do I hear about someone else knowing YGM is based off of the shop around the corner, but it still happens. I have NEVER heard someone else reference The Good Old Summertime, so thank you!!

• charity31 says:

Seriously, I’m going to have to check out The Good Old Summertime. The Shop Around the Corner is one of my favorites, I even own it! I <3 the reference to The Shop Around the Corner in You've Got Mail.

I really loved the homage to You've Got Mail in this episode. It's one of my favorite movies.

I'm looking forward to rewatching Season 2.

• NYCER says:

The Andy plot point is also reminiscent of CYRANO DE BERGERAC and its 80’s film adaptation ROXANNE. That was a very romantic gesture on Danny’s part.

15. Para says:

I loved it loved it!!! Especially I understand how a guy like Danny (very non-romantic) can do stupid things like the whole Andy stuff, Great Season Finale!! Mindy and Chris has the best chemistry!!!! So much better than Jes and nick From NG!!

16. Perfection. That’s how good tv is done.

17. jenna says:

I liked it but I don’t see mindy staying in a relationship long term (in terms of the series) so I just hope they don’t do the on-again off-again thing

• Jess says:

If it makes you feel any better, there is a vulture article online now which allows Kaling to answer questions about the finale. Based on her responses to questions about season 3, it appears as though she intends to keep Danny and Mindy together since there is humor and conflict to be found when you have two vastly different people trying to date one another. I think the intent is to also give the supporting characters more screen time.

• S. says:

Oh really glad to hear that. I think if they kept breaking up like this after he confesses his love for her, it would go from being funny conflict to just painful because we’d just be in agony if they tried to date anybody else and they’d be making eyes at each other in the office. The only reason they’d not be together is because the writers would just be deciding they couldn’t be. They can still have arguments. Happily ever after shouldn’t mean the death of banter, besides which there are other single characters on the show and it’ll give them more screen time without us going ‘oh noes, Mindy/Danny are gonna break up!? again?!’

18. Para says:

Also Tamra dissing on Danny is So funny!!!

19. Jess says:

Don’t forget ‘You’ve Got Mail’ with the whole anonymous-but-not-really emailing thing.

• S. says:

Glad you caught that stuff too. You’ve Got Mail was one of the more prominently referenced rom coms as well. She got stood up and later was sick in bed just like Meg Ryan too. Obviously things are gonna be compressed because that’s a 90 min movie and this show has 22 minutes. So impressive they got so many references to the big rom coms in there. You’ve Got Mail’s made prior appearances as a reference. Mindy Lahiri’s got a interest in Bridget Jones’ Diary the same way Kathleen was into Pride & Prejudice which coincidentally was a bit of an inspiration for Helen Fielding obviously in terms of the Mark Darcy of it all, the ridiculous mother, the dashing cad, etc. Of course Dr. L is gonna like BJD and like Tom Hanks in You’ve Got Mail, Danny takes an interest in the book (and the movies too in TMP) that Mindy likes. Doesn’t get everything about it right, but tries.

• D says:

I also kind of love the fact that Chris Messina had a bit role (kind of glorified extra really) in You’ve Got Mail as an ignorant book salesman…just sayin

• Sarah says:

I’d love it if Meg Ryan shows up on this show Easter egg style sometime.

20. jo says:

I think that was the perfect, THE PERFECT finale! I loved it soooo much! The jokes, the romance, the fire, it was all there. And like I said, the comedy portion was HIL-ARIOUS! It was PERFECTION!

21. Babybop says:

It was beautiful! I wanted to cry when Danny said he loved her – I had flashbacks to “Casino Night” from The Office.

22. Hello Dear, are you in fact visiting this web page daily, if so then you will absolutely get good know-how.

23. Lyria says:

I’m pretty sure Danny getting hit by a cab was a nod to “An Affair to Remember,” the movie that started the whole meeting atop the Empire State Building thing to begin with.

24. B says:

Tim Daly needs a really good, regular gig. –This was a great episode. Funny, emotional, nice nod to all the rom-coms, and great performances.

25. Sam says:

I was wrong not better as friends.

26. Jules says:

Fantastic episode! Two things for the person who wrote this though: The episode is an homage to all the ones you mentioned, but most of all You’ve Got Mail, so include that in the article! It’s not just the e-mailing, it’s the coffee shops, the “if only”s, the getting to know each other again, the “oh how I wish you would”, etc, etc, etc.
    Also, the song is just called “Drive”.

27. Bradster says:

This episode was epic. The soundtrack was just the icing on the cake

28. NYCER says:

Terrific finale to cap off a great second season. Mindy Kaling really knows her rom-coms and hiring Chris Messina as the leading man was an inspired and brilliant decision on Ms. Kaling’s part. I can’t wait for Season 3!

29. Mel says:

Loved it.

30. This was truly great. This show gets better and better.

31. mike says:

Chris Messina was also in Youve got mail..he was working at Tom Hanks’ bookstore.

32. Tina B. says:

OMG! AMAZING!

33. GracePerry (@GracePerry18) says:

Bathroom scene! The ending! Chris and Mindy killed it

34. Meg says:

This finale was so brilliant that, though i’m SO thrilled we have a third season, if THIS had been the series finale, I wouldn’t have felt cheated. It was just everything a finale should be. Loved it so much. And Chris def deserves Performer of the Week, IMO

35. Alicia says:

I loved the finale….but since I can’t ever enjoy happiness I have a theory that it was all a dream. Danny’s voice over seemed out of place to me, has he ever had one before?

36. Betty says:

Great episode, loved it. I like the idea of Mindy and Danny dating next season, their bickering is so freakin funny.. It will also give the show a chance to focus on the awesome supporting cast. Peter totally grew on me this year. His scene carrying the watermelon was great. The writing on this show is perfect. Season three, I’ll be waiting for you.

37. Television Scout says:

All Danny was missing was the blue french horn – and maybe six years worth of story and good writing leading up to this episode’s final scene.

I’m sorry folks, I don’t want to rain on the parade here, so enjoy this show. I’ll keep my comments brief – as I watched the last scene of the finale (no spoiler here for those who haven’t yet seen the episode), I kept thinking of HIMYM. Perhaps that was the vibe these folks were trying to capture. However, this storyline just seems so ‘forced’ to me – somewhere, there was a terrific, believable storyline about Danny and Shauna that someone tossed away. That’s really a shame. And we’re left with Danny and Mindy.

All the best to you folks – enjoy the show.

• RCJ says:

“somewhere, there was a terrific, believable storyline about Danny and Shauna that someone tossed away.” Literally what? There was like one exchange in an early season one episode and she’s been gone forever and this was nothing like HIMYM.

• Meg says:

He had a baby crush on him that he IN NO WAY reciprocated(and in fact, rebuffed) in S1E3 (dance night). Dude LITERALLY hop-danced himself away from her when she tried to grind with him on the dance floor…. and of course she had a crush on him… who doesn’t?! It’s freaking Chris Messina!

38. Aims says:

I Looooved It!! Chris Messina was on fire and Mindy was adorable (she has grown on me considerably this season). Also, as someone said, it was a refreshing contrast to the train wreck that New Girl has become. You’ve Got Mail is one of my favorite rom-coms. I literally smiled throughout the whole episode.

39. Dani says:

Lol, they were making out on the floor of the Empire State Building! It was hilarious. I love The Mindy Project. It has surpassed New Girl and Glee for me.

40. knd says:

That was so perfect down to the last scene of them arguing about their future kids.

41. I have more trust in The Mindy Project writers than I do New Girl writers so I think Mindy and Danny dating won’t mess up the show. The finale was great! I also don’t agree it was anything like HIMYM finale which was a train wreck. Mindy and Danny forever!

42. Matt says:

I think my favorite part had to be when Danny found her passed out at the top.

43. Mindy project yeah says:

That had to be the best episode of both seasons. Mindy and Danny together are comedic gold and I am excited to see them stay together in season 3 and develop some of the other characters.

44. Tee says:

I have enjoyed Mindy’s dating life so far because she seems to have amazing banter in every relationship the character is written with, though the writers have brought me around to giving Mindy and Danny a chance. I hope it doesn’t turn into a constant on and off again thing.

I’ve also loved the addition of Adam Pally this season, his friendship with Mindy has been great to watch.

45. Veronica says:

Love the show, and I’m sure I’ll love Mindy and Danny as a couple. The constant power struggle between them is hilarious, and as evidenced in the final lines of this episode, will not end just because they’re a couple. The cast and writing and everything about the show are great!