Fall TV Scoop: Fox Orders Hip-Hop Empire and Red Band Society Dramas to Series

Fall TV Fox Empire SeriesOn the heels of giving the Batman prequel series Gotham a green light, Fox has ordered both Lee Daniels’ hip-hop Empire and the Octavia Spencer-starring Red Band Society to series for the 2014-15 season, TVLine has learned.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

With a pilot directed by Daniels and penned by him and Lee Daniels’ The Butler‘s Danny Strong, Empire is described as a unique family drama set in the world of a hip-hop empire and centering on music mogul Lucious Lyon (Hustle & Flow‘s Terrence Howard). With Timbaland serving as a songwriter and song producer, the series will feature both original and current music.

The Empire cast also includes Taraji P. Henson (Person of Interest) as Lucious’ ex-wife and business partner, Malik Yoba (Alphas), Jussie Smollett, Bryshere Y. Gray, Trai Byers, Grace Gealey, Kaitlin Doubleday and recurring player Gabourey Sidibe (American Horror Story: Coven).
Red Band Society FoxRed Band Society, which counts Steven Spielberg among its executive producers, follows a group of teenagers who meet as patients in the children’s wing of a hospital and become unlikely allies and friends. The cast includes Academy Award winner Octavia Spencer (The Help), Dave Annable (Brothers & Sisters), Griffin Gluck (Private Practice), Charlie Rowe, Rebecca Rittenhouse, Zoe Levin, Ciara Bravo and Nolan Sotillociara.

1. chloe says:

does this mean that Gabourey won’t be on AHS: Freak Show?

• The Mangina Monolgues says:

I think Gabourey is only “recurring” on EMPIRE plus AHS is only 13 episodes so she might be able to do both.

2. haymarilyn7 says:

I feel sorry for Lee Daniels and Danny Strong because clearly they hope they’ll get a fair shot. But FOX can’t be trusted with quality shows. They don’t back talent. And they’ve lost millions of viewers over the fiasco of cancelling Almost Human. Talented people would be wise to avoid this network like the plague and they can’t believe anything the CEO of Entertainment tells them.

• Susan says:

Millions of viewers? Hyperbole much. I am certain they lost some viewers but millions….no.

• The Mangina Monolgues says:

What was FOX to do? AH started out with good rating but they continued to fall. How can you expect them to support a show that the viewers won’t? Yes, I know it had better ratings than GLEE but Glee is only renewed because it got a 2 year renewal last year. FOX’s overall ratings are so low that I would be concerned for any show on FOX…they waiting too late to react to the declining rating for Idol and The X Factor. I am looking forward to EMPIRE and The Red Band Society.

I

• George says:

Well it was FOX’s fault that they cancelled AH, they aired the ep’s out of order

• Ally Oop says:

FOX held the series for a late November premiere and aired the episodes out of order. I think Almost Human did well for what it was given.

• Maria says:

Almost Human averaged 6,2 million viewers. Now there is word that Warner Brothers didn’t play well with Fox and that’s why Fox dismissed the show.

• Temperance says:

EMPIRE = DOA.

• mewp12 says:

YOu think kip hop is quality?

3. Jessica says:

I have heard a lot of good things about Red Band Society. I’m glad it got picked up and I am looking forward to seeing it.

4. MeJ says:

Oof, the promo picture for Red Band Society looks terrible, like an ad for Children’s Hospital. But excited to see more dramas with black leads!

5. Jayme says:

Is that it for Fox?

6. Coal says:

I think I’m going to love Empire, but unfortunately its not going to last on network TV let along on FOX. Red Band Society seems quite intriguing too however with quick cancellation of shows these days I’ll have to wait for it’s first run to see whether or not it gets renewed.

7. CK says:

I give RBS a season at most. I don’t know what time slot a coming of age drama set in a pediatric ward is going to do well in. It almost sounds like a SNL skit. I’m sure the quality and the acting will be superb, but I really don’t see it pulling people in.

8. Maria says:

It’s Fox, so whatever shows they pick up, they will just cancel anyway.

9. Damn says:

Brian Bradley aka Astro from X Factor USA Season 1 is also in Red Band Society.

10. Dani says:

Excited for Red Band Society, the original series (based on a true story) is really good, i cried a lot watching it lol
    Disappointed it’s on fox though, aka where shows go to die. Wasn’t it being developed by/for ABC? Any idea of what happened?

11. Catherine says:

I think you mean Jurnee Smollett instead of Jussie Smollett

12. Coal says:

The nominees for next season’s TerraNova/Alcatraz cancellation award are…. Congratulations to the current holders of this infamous award Almost Human.

• Coal says:

Yes, FOX is not the only channel that cancels shows, but the article is not about other channels its about FOX hence the mention of AH. I didn’t even like AH that much, but I thought it was relevant to the topic at hand.

• Ben says:

Fox is really bad at it. Mind you, it’s nice that they give that genre of shows a chance to begin with. But really, what is the value in keeping giving shows of that genre a go and cancelling them after one season. Would they not simply be better letting one show of that genre go for several seasons?

13. Gon says:

Wow so many bitter Almost Human fans here, what these shows have anything to do with AH? I’m not a FOX fan at all but do you think FOX is the only network that cancelled their shows after one season? ABC cancelled killer woman even after several episodes and cancelled back in the game even tho the ratings was better than trophy wife or last man standing. It’s a fact that all networks are struggling right now.

I am interested in red band society solely because of Octavia spencer. I hope it won’t disappoint.

• Guest(whose real name shall NEVER be revealed) says:

I didn’t watch the show BUT you can’t deny the fact that it was one of Fox’s highest rated dramas so they can be bitter if THEY feel like it and they’re still stinging by the fact that it’s not coming back. I’m saying this (In Bane from Batman voice ) FOR THE Almost Human people. So Gon YOU should stop being bitter AND butthurt just because you didn’t like a show that everybody liked. As for Fox, (turns into the Ghost Rider) what were you thinking Fox?! Canceling one of your highest rated dramas because Warner didn’t want to cooperate?! It’s your fault Fox for late November start AND airing episodes out of order! If anyone to blame it’s you Fox and if you try to do the same thing to Gotham i’m gonna… well let’s just wait and see before we get to that.

• Gon says:

LOL do you read my comment? Why do I have to be bitter about it?You’re the one that seems angry over a tv show. I read the article because I already heard about RBS months ago and excited with the news that it got picked up, but what I found in the comments section were many angry AH fans. If you don’t have a life and still angry and bitter over a tv show cancellation don’t take it on someone who has nothing to do with FOX or Warner and try to do something productive for a change

14. Most excited to see Oscar Nominee, Taraji P .Henson’s new show Empire.
    Speaking of Almost Human, Taraji lit up the big screen in her scenes with Mike Ealy of ALMOST H,(in “Think Like A Man”). Interesting that JJ Abrams has had 2 out 3 three shows cancelled (Believe and Almost H). Because of the way Abrams, Nolan and CBS mistreated Taraji P. Henson on Person of Interest…I’m especially please for her! CBS & Company deserve to eat her dust!

• Allen says:

Oh please. Nobody was mistreated. Characters get killed off in TV shows All The Time. Such is the life of an actor. They know it and they understand it. She was aware that her roll on the show would not last. It may have been sooner than she liked but she knew it was coming and given plenty of warning. I get that you are upset over losing a character you loved but lets stop pretending this was some kind of evil plot against Ms. Henson. It’s just the breaks of showbiz.

15. dman6015 says:

Hip-hop Empire = Country Nashville.

• CK says:

If they made Gabourey Sidibe’s character the “Empire” Juliet Barnes and just made her sleep with all the guys on the show, I would die.

16. Diz says:

Red Band looks like it has some potential.

17. rs says:

Any show with Taraji Henson is going to be great. I don’t know if I can take the hip hop though. Maybe classic R & B but they will attract younger viewers if they avoid retro. Me, I prefer old school.