Reality Check: Who Deserved Bottom 2 Status on Idol? (Not MVP Jena!) Plus: Why Does The Voice Hate Suspense (But Love the 'Gay Ghetto')?

American Idol‘s Top 5 “results twist” may have been the worst thing to happen to the show since Randy Jackson became the in-house mentor, but the question remains: Who should’ve rounded out the Bottom 2 alongside Sam Woolf?

VIDEO | American Idol‘s Sam Woolf Talks Song-Arrangement Woes, Going Guitar-less & the ‘Heartthrob’ Label

On this week’s installment of Reality Check, my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I ponder that question, praise the powerful one-two punch provided by Jena Irene and wonder if Alex Preston deserves to inherit Candice Glover’s crown if he never successfully delivers an uptempo track. (Fret not: We taped this episode on Friday, before Caleb Johnson’s ‘R-word’ scandal went viral; I’ll address that on TVLine tomorrow.)

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Melinda and I also tackle a great (albeit crazy) week on The Voice, lauding the powerhouse performances of Christina, Delvin and Sisaundra, but wondering why the show (and its coaches) made Jake the poster boy for apple pie, while relegating fellow country crooner Kristen to the gay ghetto.

Press play below for the full Reality Check experience, and follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV for all my Idol- and Voice-related news, exclusives, interviews and recaps.

1. Zach says:

Jena better win this. She is by far the most versatile, marketable, and current artist left and could actually leave a positive mark on Idols winner list.

• LibbyXD says:

Totally agree Zach. She’s definitely the one to run the tour. I just can’t see any of the others getting a crowd up and jamming.

• r says:

hopefully either her or Jess. malaya would’ve been a great winner though

• Polly says:

Oh don’t worry, Idol will be throwing out “zomg current” right at Jena’s feet next week. That you can bank on. Personally I don’t think she’s any more marketable than Alex or Jessica but that’s me. Caleb on the other hand there is NO market for. I have no clue what they’d do with him in he won.

• Stormy says:

ITA about Caleb. He’s riding a velocipede on a treadmill. He’s going nowhere.

• Mark Bravard says:

• Ann Wesbecher says:

I agree except I don’t think Jessica is marketable. She has no emotion in her songs. She is a decent singer but no “charisma”. She is at her top by doing her gigs and she keeps telling us that when she is told how to grow and then ignores the comments. She is too into herself. She has not changed one iota since the beginning. I hope she is gone this weekend.

• Ann Wesbecher says:

Her voice is fake and she gets hoarse when doing songs. She will never last as a performer who is required to ‘put on a show’. She needs to sing in her own voice.

2. Cat Duddy says:

I just love your recaps! :)

• becca says:

I love these recaps too! Very good. Okay my Question is If you caught what MIchael said about shakira saying that Kristen Merlin represents the minority? Because shes gay? WOW Thats what Michael meant by putting her in the gay ghetto> Im not gay and I was going to vote for her. How come the politically correct arent coming after her but caleb is getting reemed. I am NOT excusing caleb. It was horrible what he said but lets be fair, I love shakira and im surprised. She is very smart, one of MENZA ! Trying to lump her contestant kristen Merlin into one demographic? The minority? WOW Is everyone losing their minds? LOL

• becca says:

Oh Well I just looked to see if there are many articles about shakiras comment about Kristen Merlin and yes there are. It was the week for “slip of the tongue” or ‘open mouth insert foot’
        LOL.

• Stormy says:

Oh my, you’re wired again huh? It’s reamed not reemed. It’s MENSA not MENZA. Menza is the drummer for Megadeth. Oh, and here’s the apostrophe you forgot in aren’t ‘. No more coffee this morning, OK? LOL

3. Luke says:

How great is it to have Jason A back as editor!? So funny. When he suggested Randy J was Melissa’s celebrity crush….I would’ve loved to see her reaction to that!

• karenb says:

The bus clip kills me every time LOL

• HTGR says:

Haha, and used to good point, how do you say they only just started torturing them when they put them on that bus of favor bus of doom mind wringer. That was one of the few early bits of the season I saw and I was man, this is the new, NICER, season that’s I’ve been reading about???

• darcy's evil twin says:

I love that bus clip! Wish I could get a copy of that.

• Luke says:

oops sorry Melinda – I called you “Melissa”. (Love you)

4. Adrian says:

I love this episode of reality check and honestly think Mike and Melinda should do two separate episodes – one for American Idol and one for the Voice. The only thing that is missing is the question, “Do Mike and Melinda believe on the conspiracy theory that Jessica was not even on the bottom two last week?” And that was the reason why the producers scrambled to create all these stupid twists. Thanks for another great episode!

5. Amber says:

Jena is AWFUL. The way she phrases her words makes me want to scream. I will be majorly disappointed if she wins.

• Mary says:

I will be overjoyed if she won. I think she has the most potential. It wouldn’t bother me if Jessica won either. Sorry no Alex, creative but his voice grates on me and Caleb needs to be a tribute front man for a 70′s band.

• dan says:

If her phrasing is the only thing you don’t like, she must not be too bad.

• Amber says:

actually it makes her the worst. it gives me a headache trying to listen to her

• lunaburning says:

Actually, phrasing is pretty major. If you don’t like someone’s phrasing, it makes them pretty much unlistenable to you. Anyway, it’s all just a matter of taste. Personally, I just can’t stand Jena’s weird affectations when she sings, so I’ll never be a fan, but that’s just me.

• CandaceTX says:

co-sign

• Stormy says:

I could live with the phrasing. What I can’t stand is how she mumbles the beginning of every song and then shifts into over singing the rest. She doesn’t enunciate. Not fond of the phony accents either.

• Christopher says:

Jena is insanely overrated on here. The energy was there on her first performance but I could not make out a damn word she was singing in the verses. Everything was slurred together. Her forced copycat “I’m an indie girl and am gonna pronounce words strangely just cause everyone else does it” is just grating and distracting. I thought her second performance was decent karaoke at best. I don’t get people gazzing all over anything she’s done to be perfectly honest.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

You got it right. Jeeena’s singing affectation just makes her intolerable to me.

• pmet says:

I completely agree. Even when she doesn’t go over the top in the note department, I cannot take the slurring and phrasing. It is definitely grating and distracting.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I guess that’s what’s bothering me as well. She’ll probably win. I won’t have major heartburn when she does. She’s just not my cup of tea.

• deedee says:

I also think she’ll win, and – even though she does nothing for me, and I find her voice kind of grating – I’ll be ok with it. She has her audience; she has potential to be molded into an indy-lite style pop star – if they bother to promote her, that is. Of course, Alex is the classic Idol winner type, and people tend to see him as an “artist”, so he’s got a good shot. But ultimately, I think it’ll shake out like this: Jessica will be the next to leave us, and Caleb and Alex will battle it out for 2nd place, leaving Jena the winner.

• Mark Bravard says:

• Wen says:

Jena is Overrated?! On this thread?! That is funny, because I have never seen more Jena haters than there are here. I personally think she is the only one who has provided “moments” on this season – and the only one I can imagine being a success story. And I’m a voter, Jena-haters! Woo-hoo!

• HTGR says:

I’m not a fan of Alex’s phrasing. He is so chop. chop. chop. Even for Say Something. chop. chop. chop.

• Michael Johns says:

There are also parts where he went out of tune. He’s creatively mediocre at best. I appreciate his artistry tho

• LeahKittyS says:

I disagree with you about Alex, but I just want to say that because of your username, I am reading all of your posts in a sexy Australian man’s voice.

• Dakota says:

I have not been an Alex fan all season. As you said, shows artistry, but he’s so boring. I was thrilled first time Sam got voted off so doubly thrilled this time, and kudos to A and J for doing the right thing. I’ve worked on high school musicals for years and I can assure you there are thousands of high schoolers who would blow Sam away. And outside of 12 year olds, I don’t know whose heart he makes throb. I think if Jess wins, country music will scoop her up and help her “make it.” Jena, never crazy about her personality, but that’s just me. Loved Caleb much of season, but his attitude turned me off big time. I’m an avid fan of the most talented, gracious man to come off Idol, so I know you can be confident without being a jerk, EVAH!!! Those are my opinions, which, of course, are only as valuable as everyone else’s. PS: Randy MUST GO!

• karen says:

Haven’t you heard? Country music isn’t playing female artists at all. It’s pretty pathetic, but country females are being ignored. Even Grammy winner Kacey Musgraves doesn’t get airtime on country radio. It’s all men and bro country in Nashville these days. Jess would have a hard time getting scooped up by the country music industry.

• deedee says:

How can you find him creatively mediocre and yet appreciate his artistry at the same time? And are you really Michael Johns from season 7? :-D

• dosqueen says:

I think Jena is an amazing performer, particularly when one considers her age. Impressive! Also, vocally she is incredibly strong :) However, there IS one thing that really bugs me about her -it’s the vocal affectations she uses when she sings. I really think a vocal coach needs to get her to reduce that -it sometimes prevents me from even understanding the lyrics. Didn’t Harry say something about this when he first heard her?

6. Remember that SNL sketch in which Kristen Wiig brings a huge check to that lady’s door and keeps trying to get her more excited when she’s clearly not? That was Alex’s and Sam’s reactions to meeting their celebrity crushes.

7. MAB says:

Many commentators had Say Something as the song of the night. One even said it I was the song of the season. So I guess everything is relative. Many thought Jena had an off night and could possibly be in the bottom two. It’s funny how we all hear different things. I love Alex’s music and he is the only one who I have purchased all his recordings off plus two songs he recorded before Idol. He is the only one who I will without a doubt by music from post Idol. He has also been the highest on iTunes the majority of the weeks. The only time Jena was higher is when she sang Creep which I also loved and purchased.

Michael, I ask you again do not ignore this controversy with Caleb. I am interested in how you feel about this.

• ICYMI says:

“(Fret not: We taped this episode on Friday, before Caleb Johnson’s ‘R-word’ scandal went viral; I’ll address that on TVLine tomorrow.)”

• MAB says:

Thank you, Michael.

• becca says:

MAB Hi Hey I want to know what Michael thinks too. Im usually excited to see the wed performances but I have a feeling if american idol allows booing, that caleb will get booed off the stage.The “energy” in the “room” will be quite different this week. Are the idol judges just going to act like nothing is different? It will be faking if they acted like calebs comment wasnt made. Im almost scared to watchLOL

• MAB says:

Hi Becca. I hope you are feeling better.
            I am curious about Wednesday too but I don’t think a lot of people know about it. It will be interesting if Idol just ignores this or makes him apologize live. I know I have no respect for him at all and it will be hard to watch him on Wednesday. Even if he apologizes it is too late. The damage is done. It’s going to be interesting. As another commentator said. What all the idol winners have in common is that they were all humble and appreciative for being there. Caleb does not have that humility. He is just very self impressed. I was never crazy about him but now I really dislike him. If he wins I really don’t think it will be good for the show. Idol has already been in the toilet and with Caleb winning it will be the final flush. What kind of representative would he make? Ugh. He is just an embarrassment

• Stormy says:

He’s already had to make good after that peanut allergy prank. Now this. The R word was an error in judgement, but I’m more offended by his remarks about looking forward to the hookers, alcohol and cocaine on his home visit. Hookers? I wonder how Jena’s parents feel about that since she asked him to take her to Prom.

• Mark Bravard says:

• Catniss says:

For crying out loud it is not like Caleb is running for congress and sending naughty pics of his private parts on Twitter. He made a mistake and he will learn from it! The PC police is being so outrageously pious. Worse things are being said on sites like this on daily basis.

• AlyB says:

He seriously dissed his fans. Withdrawing support from someone that holds them in such blatant contempt is completely understandable. I have to wonder about those that offered up song requests to him that would still vote for him.

• Mary says:

Yes he is not running for congress but what is disturbing to me is that the use of that word came so easily to him. There are several other words he could chosen to get his point across. Sorry I am kind of tired of people thinking an apology can erase hurtful words. Your right maybe worst have been said but does not justify it. I haven’t voted once for Caleb so that won’t change. I personally don’t think it has to do with PC certain words should never be used as far as I am concern this is one of them.

• Mary says:

Would you pay money to go see Alex in concert???

• MAB says:

People use to say that to me about Phillip Phillips and the answer is yes. I am going to see Phillip in July. I don’t normally go to concerts but I would go see Alex before any of the other contestants. I like his kind of music. I also like some of Jena’s music. Not crazy for Caleb, he is too loud. I can take Jessica or leave her. I did like her original though.

• becca says:

If I wanted to meditate or go to sleep I would go to his concert. Nothing against alex, just not my fav genre of music. But when I want to hear soft music I like the new age instrumental stuff to meditate to.

• Ben says:

Alex is the only one I’d pay money to go see (or buy the CDs of). But at this point I’d also be pretty happy for anyone to win, because I enjoy them all.

• Jamie says:

hmm… to be honest, I’m not sure, but I would definitely buy his music. On the other hand, I might enjoy watching Jena or Caleb perform, but wouldn’t buy their music because it lacks something for me without the stage show when I go back and listen to it.

• tealeaves says:

I’d pay money to see Alex. I’d pay money to see Jessica. Plus I’ll probably pay to see all of them on tour this summer :).

• dosqueen says:

YES!! He is an incredible artist and I would be overjoyed to watch him “do his thing” LIVE. I’d probably go see Jena too (if she tones down her vocal affectations) because her song choices have really appealed to me.

• waterbug says:

No, I would not pay money to see any of this season’s contestant. The year of PP and Glover, I would have paid to see any of those artists up to the final six.

• Brigette says:

Just saw this. Ok, the cocaine & hookers thing was obviously a joke, but calling fans who CARE about him and are EXCITED about different songs he could sing “retards” is RIDICULOUS. When someone says, “Hey, you should sing this!” It means they want to hear you sing some more. Be grateful for that. Ugh I was just starting to like this guy and now I am back to NOT liking him.

• becca says:

Yes I know Im extremely upset. He was my favorite since the auditions and now Im ashamed to say that.

8. Donna says:

Jena FTW. She is current. It’s the season of the young feisty female. And happily, she’s not being forced on us as the token female winner. She’s earning it.

• Michael Johns says:

Not being forced on us? LOL

• Jamie says:

I had to laugh at that one as well. You just have to look at the top 4 picture with Jena’s victory pose in front of the other 3 as well as JLo’s overt praise and questions about “what name she wants to go by” to realize who is being pimped big time for the win.

• MAB says:

She is without a doubt this seasons favorite and to be honest I probably would like her better if she wasn’t pimped so much. She was my original favorite.

• Michael Johns says:

@MAB she was also my original favorite, but grew tired of the overt pimping. I also noticed her problematic diction and lower register. I still like her tho.

• AlyB says:

I like her a lot too but the judges aren’t doing her any favors with the over the top praise. She’s going to end up with a teacher’s pet like backlash.

• Jaszy says:

I love that photo, especially with Jena and Jessica in it. To me, Jena’s pose is saying “Look, we’re still here despite all the drama that’s been going on and all the shenanigans…we survived another week.”
          I love those group pictures, every week it dwindles down….it’s the survivor concept…love it!

• Christopher says:

Wow, what show have you been watching? Keith practically leaps to his feet the second she puts a toe down on the stage and JLo has pretty much already reserved her spot in the finale. She is one of the most pimped contestants in the history of the show. She’s the Lauren Alaina of the year.

• MAB says:

That’s exactly as I see her. The Lauren Alaina of this season. It truly turns me off but I don’t dislike her.

• Tess says:

If you think about it, they all have previous contestants they correlate to and it’ll be funny to see if they wind up going out in the same order – Caleb’s got the rocker vibe of 4th place finishers Chris Daughtry and James Durbin; Jess has already been compared to Haley Reinhart for the harsh bussing but she’s also managed to survive the bottom 2 a couple of times ala another 3rd placer – Syesha Mercado; Jena is being heavily pimped like runner-ups Lauren Alaina and Jessica Sanchez; and Alex has the WGWG troubadour vibe of a P2 or Kris Allen, which equates to a win for him. Caleb’s recent comments could well help that theory inch closer to fact….

For the record, the only one whose post-show music I’d be interested in buying is Jess. I used to like the other three as well but my interest in their performances has waned substantially as the season has progressed.

• Jaszy says:

Wow….if that happened…that would just be weird! I don’t want it to happen though. Though I don’t care one way or the other about Caleb (he should go home in 4th place), I really want either Jessica or Jena to win. Alex CANNOT win. If he does, then Season 12 was all for naught because we just went right back to the old ways we were trying to steer from.
          Who I REALLY WANT TO Win: Jessica Meuse
          Who I want to win if Jessica doesn’t : Jena Irene
          Plus, Jena is the most marketable out of the remaining contestants, well, from the beginning she always seemed to be the one that was most marketable: she’s a baby, she doesn’t fit into one genre of music, she is an amazing performer, her voice has sick range….so, I guess I should say
          WHO SHOULD WIN: Jena

• tealeaves says:

I always get nervous when a contestant is said to be, “the most marketable,” I think of Jessica Sanchez, who got an album that went nowhere, Pia who got a single that did not do well enough to translate into an album deal, and Amber from last year. I leave it to record producers to decide who is “marketable” based on their looks and youth. I vote for the contestants I think have something unique and that I want to hear again and again.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, that’s an interesting observation, Tess. And quite possibly accurate. I still expect Jena to win over Alex, but who knows? I think if Alex looked like Justin Bieber he might be more unstoppable.

• Mark Bravard says:

• Danny says:

I’m for Jena. She lives about 20 miles from me. I think it would be nice to see someone from Michigan win this thing. I also think she deserves to be in the top 4. Having said that, I can totally see where people think she’s this years chosen one.
      As someone who’s rooting for her, I’d rather just see her win it naturally than being pushed for the win.

9. Mary says:

Great Show guys but I will say last week had me in stitches. Michael to answer your question if Jessica was in the bottom the twist would not have been in play. I am giving extra votes this week to Jena and I am voting for Alex for the first time due to they had the backbone to vote no. I don’t think there will be much of a backlash because it is obvious Sam doesn’t have a big following, voted out twice. How many chances should a contestant have. I am hoping but not holding my breath but maybe I will get my Jena and Jessica finally. I will be pleased if they at least make top three. My bottom two last week were Sam and Alex. Caleb might have been karaoke on the second song, but he brought the show to life. Hated his first song. Alex just does nothing for me whatsoever.

• Owen says:

The only backlash will be if they say ON the show who voted not to keep the five together. 85% of American Idol viewers probably don’t read anything about the show online unless it’s put in front of them (and since no one really cares about Idol any more very few news outlets carried the controversy).

• Danny says:

Owen- That’s true. I watch the show, but had no idea of Caleb’s R word until I read it in this blog today. Then I googled it. As to how it relates to what you said, I don’t think most of America was out trying to find out who voted yes or no. They probably don’t care much one way or the other.

• Mark Bravard says:

10. Scott says:

That J and A comment killed me. Laughing. Thanks!

11. Michael Johns says:

*It’s pretty obvious that traditional singers like Melinda don’t get Jessica’s appeal. What a shame. Just because a musician doesn’t face-dance doesn’t mean she doesn’t deliver a performance successfully. I’ve always liked Jessica and I think she only got one bad week under her body of work. She’s the most distinct or shall I say the only distinct contestant in the top 13. *Alex is good, but there are too many singers like him outside the show. He’s a Kris Allen 2.0 verging on a Jason Mrz copycat. * Jena is also good, but her low register is non-existent. She swallows her words sometimes and I gotta say, it’s annoying that these two commentators always fail to acknowledge it. * I never cared for Caleb. While I get that his talented vocally, despite all that moving around on stage and doing crazy faces, it doesn’t come off genuine for me. Well, that’s just me.

• tealeaves says:

@Michael Johns, I agree with you that Jessica has only had one bad week. I loved Blue-Eyed Lie, Jolene, The Crow and the Butterfly, Somebody to Love, Summertime Sadness, Pumped Up Kicks, and Human. i really liked almost everything she did. I also really liked her duets with Caleb for Stop Dragging My Heart Around and Beast of Burden.

• Michael Johns says:

I happen to think she’s the most consistent performer on the show. By consistent I mean she always leaves her distinctive mark in all her performances. While others might not get her appeal or might be too distracted on hating her for ridiculous or unimportant things, no one can deny the amazing talent she has in her possession. I don’t care if she doesn’t move her body at all or roll her stoic (I find it fascinating) eyes. The voice and the depth of a musician are what matters to me.

• Danny says:

I like both Jessica and Jena. I like Caleb and Alex too for that matter. I think it’s the right top 4. They’re all pretty good. Who’s the best is just a matter of taste. When it gets down near the end, it always seems to be ya have to rip one to make a case for the other. That happens in sports too. Like the Brady vs Manning comparisons. They’re both good QBs.

Whoever wins this thing, while it may or may not be your fav, the fact is ya really can’t go wrong.

• Idolhead Ed says:

You are dead wrong about Jena’s lower register. Not only is it good it is powerful. The reason it might appear from time to time it isn’t there is she is the only contestant whose feet aren’t nailed to the fricking floor. Listen to her recorded stuff or when she is at the piano. That girl has got it goin’ on.

• Michael Johns says:

I think I trust my listening skills. Sometimes, she has a hard time hitting low notes. While I admire her voice but not its imperfections, she’s still one of the better contestants in AI this year, next to Jessica. I always listen to her studio recordings. Not thoroughly impressed.

• Alexis says:

I agree with Michael here. Jena’s lower register *is* weak. Often times you can barely hear her and she mumbles through the verses and fails to sustain the low notes. The opening of Jessica’s Summertime Sadness is an example of stunning, crystal clear use of the lower register.

• Tess says:

I still find it fascinating that Jess gets picked on for not connecting but Alex delivered “Say Something” with absolutely no expression to his face whatsoever and it was declared amazing. Jess was told by JLo that her performance of “Summertime Sadness” left her cold – I guess JLo has never seen Lana Del Ray ever then because Lana has even less expression to her and she’s making hits, so why do they have such an issue with Jess all the time? And really, would people at home watching the show think the way she performs is bad if the judges weren’t chirping about it every week?
      Michael Johns, I agree 100% with your assessment so it’s not just you. I read your post and thought you took the words right out of my mouth – except I would contend that Jess hasn’t had a bad week – the judges and producers just really wanted us to believe she did (“Gunpowder and Lead” was not the abomination they made it out to be).

• Michael Johns says:

I think her ‘Gunpowder and Lead’ is good, that one that’s ‘not bad but has some obvious pitch issues’ is White Flag. Anyway, I hope to God she smashes in the following weeks. I at least want her to finish 2nd. The AI title is worse, IMO.

• Danny says:

Isn’t it ironic that someone with the musical substance of Lopez would comment about someone’s singing leaving them cold?

12. Name This Tune says:

I think it is a safe bet that the finale will be Alex vs Caleb.

• Mary says:

I’m not so sure Caleb will make it there and to be honest I hope Alex doesn’t. Caleb might have screwed himself this week with his inappropriate remark, plus to be honest I don’t see the potential as a solo artist. I could be wrong we shall see.

• Name This Tune says:

That’s over-thinking things. Caleb’s Still of the Night was the most viewed performance last week followed by Alex Say Something. Jena was 3rd and Jessica 4th.
        When we get to the finale, it will be all impulse voting. Not everyone who watches Idol thinks about it that much.

• Lynn says:

Caleb will be spanked and sent home next week. Maybe mainstream America didn’t catch his comments but the producers surely did. Do you think they want a loose cannon headed out for a hometown visit? Ain’t no telling what will come out of that boy’s mouth next. And he has absolutely zero potential as a solo artist.But he sure keeps things interesting, gotta love him for that.

• Danny says:

Caleb’s comments could very well work against him for the show. Long term though they might actually benefit him. At least people will remember him. I don’t think he’s going to have a long term career outside of local bands. If he doesn’t it won’t be because of his comments though.

13. CK says:

“Girl, no. Don’t dont.” Best line of the episode.

14. Julie Anderson says:

I also thought it was Jena who was in the bottom two this week, and they tried to disguise it with their shenanigans.

I agree with an earlier poster. Alex’s music is the only one I’ve bought and could imagine buying in the future. I’m not sure I need him to master an uptempo song. I suspect he could he done much better with one that had fewer new lyrics to learn.

Hilarious episode all around – I had to watch it twice so I wouldn’t miss any captions. Jason, I loved them ( of course except the #teamno for Alex’s second song ;))

• tealeaves says:

I think Jena’s biggest problem right now is that she does not get good constructive criticism.We often don’t even hear some of her words. It happened again this week for the song where she was dressed like where’s Waldo. I think this is what reality Check was referring to when they said she needs to keep the mic near her mouth. But the judges should mention it. They also should mention her diction.

• Michael Johns says:

I couldn’t agree more. She’s good, but jeez, the girl needs to be told she’s doing some pretty annoying things with her voice.

• kp says:

Agree…..me should never be pronounced “may”.

• Mary says:

Not everyone finds them annoying, actually I think it makes her stand out. Does she have room to grow, sure they all do. Contestants really are in a no win situation on these boards. Either your being picked on – Jessica or being pimped by the judges – Jena.

• pmet says:

I thought it was funny and rather telling when Harry told her one week that he realized that he used to think she had a speech impediment. smh Well, then, she obviously has a diction problem.

• elizabeth3613431 says:

Where’s Waldo! That’s hilarious (and so true!).

• Guitar Blue. says:

I also believe Alex needs to stay in his own lane; with creative pop & soft rock alternative. Trying to rock-out will only hurt his chances and make him look out-of-place.

15. Kelly says:

Funny you all proclaimed Jena as the best and the only performances I gave a crap about that night were Caleb’s “Still of the Night,” Jessica’s “Summertime Sadness” and Alex’s “Say Something.” I’d already forgotten what Jena sang until I saw this recap. lol

• j says:

Those were the best performances of the week. I can’t believe how much time was give to her mediocre performances. They really were a blip compared to those three performances.

• Mary says:

IN your eyes maybe but not everyone agrees with you. Caleb still of the night was great, but a version of the original did bring the crowd alive. I loved Jessica Summertime but wasn’t my favorite and Alex Say Something for me was like the original, which I am sick of to be honest. IMO My Body was the top and I even downloaded it.

• Queen Bee says:

I was tempted to download My Body simply so I could understand the lyrics. Instead I more wisely invested my money on the original artist’s song, which is Sooooooo much better than Jena’s karaoke version.

16. abz says:

I don’t get why Reality Check has become all about Idol nowadays and then you add on a few minutes for The Voice. I liked it last season when The Voice got more discussion. I stopped watching Idol like 6 years ago.

• My Alter Ego says:

Until this year, there was a separate show (Idoloonies; Idology) that covered AI separately. TVLine — or Michael and Melinda — aren’t doing a separate show now. That’s why the two are merged.

17. Lynn says:

This is the first week I am in agreement with Slezak, except for the twist not being used on Jess. I think the twist was gonna happen no matter what. It got AI some pretty decent buzz and I’m guessing that was the motivating factor, not covering up bottom 2 or saving Sam. After watching the interview with Sam, bless his heart, ain’t no way he’s ready to be American Idol, and the producers had to know that.

• Tess says:

It’s slightly plausible they were always going to do the twist because they were going up against the I Heart Radio awards so they might’ve thought it would be something to attract viewers and keep them from straying for that awards show (plus having Keith perform this week versus the last couple of weeks with no performance) – but I would have to agree that it’s not likely that if the show got their way and Jess had been voted off that they would’ve offered any scenario where she could’ve avoided going home and possibly get saved the following week by viewers who would be “woken up” by her avoiding the bottom via this suddenly added contestant save scenario (that is unless they never revealed who the person was that would’ve gone home, which we don’t know if that would’ve been the case since they voted to continue with the regular elimination).

• Mary says:

I’m not so sure about that because if you really wanted buzz shouldn’t you do a little promotion for it. Announcing on twitter a couple of hours before the show is not going to draw viewers in. Maybe I am reading too much into it but I do think they wanted Sam around. If they wanted the buzz they should of mention it at the end of the previous show.

18. LeahKittyS says:

Jason Averett, you win the Internet. You win every prize the Internet has to offer. If your videos were up-voteable I would up-vote every single one, because you are so up-worthy.

19. Polly says:

Has anyone here actually listened to Winehouse’s version of “Valerie.” Jena’s version was almost a note-for-note copy of it. Just saying. That said, Alex and Jessica won the night for me personally. I immediately downloaded Say Something and Summertime Sadness to add to my library as did many others since those were the top 2 downloads of the week for Idol. I felt Jena was most worthy of the Bottom 2 to be perfectly honest because Caleb had his final dynamic performance that eclipsed everything Jena did. Jena’s studio recording was the by far the worst seller of the bunch and for good reason. Sam was obviously the right one of the five to go home, though.

• Jamie says:

I also see Jena most likely to be in the bottom 2. Jess had a really good night. Alex and Caleb were mixed, but each had one standout performance. Jena was good, but I definitely thought the other three eclipsed her this week. I also would have put her in the middle of the pack the previous week so this is two weeks in a row of good, but no showstopper which won’t keep you from the bottom at this stage of the competition.

20. HTGR says:

I’m a bit surprised Melinda thinks Jessica’s voice can go into grating territory here and there and yet 100% always east up Christina Grimme’s voice, even her power voice.

• Carol says:

I thought the EXACT same thing. But I don’t think it really has anything to do with their voices. As someone else said, Melinda is more of a traditionalist. Her opinions always favor those who steer down the middle of the lanes (no matter the genre). She’s gonna go for a glory note (as is the expected track in a singing competition) over a glorious lower register that evokes a sense of darkness and mystery (not your typical singing competition delivery).

Jessica is offbeat, different, dark and not easy to classify. Yet, of all the contestants, she is BY FAR the most engaged with the fans on social media. If you follow her on social media, she is an absolute sweetheart, quite humorous and very levelheaded.

She might not win this mainstream competition, but I think the blend of her varied influences give her a unique quality that gives her the best chance at post-show success.

• Michael Johns says:

+++++++

• AlyB says:

Great post Carol. My sentiments exactly. I find Jessica’s vocals intruiging. I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with Melinda more than on this installment of Reality Check. She found Human grating and I thought it was fantastic. She loved Jena’s Valerie and I found it grating. I thought Jess had two terrific songs with Human and Summertime. I liked Jena’s My Body but Valerie made me wince. In the end though, I like the idea of a Jessica, Jena finale. I think Caleb’s toast after dissing his fans and while I appreciate Alex’s musicianship and would like to see him in the top 3, I like the totality of what Jena and Jess have done most.

• HTGR says:

Yeah I was confused. She said Jessica went to a grating place with her voice on Human (???) but that, over on the The Voice, Grimme, sang the heck out of it with a beautiful voice (when to me she was kinda grating for most of her power voice on that song, plus Grimme was even said to be sick!). So how does a sick Grimme have smooth wonderful voice this week while Jessica was grating on Human??

• HTGR says:

And I see I basically just dittoed my own original comment hah. oops. Responding here from email is a confusing mess, so it doesn’t place you in the conversation so you can’t see what or where you are replying and whether or not you’ve just said the same thing or someone else has, etc. You just blindly enter a response.

• LeahKittyS says:

I know that feeling, bro/sis/whatever you are.

• Mary says:

I don’t know about that Carol Melinda loved Alex Say Something and believe me there was no glory note in that performance. Jessica did miss a couple of notes in Human but personally I thought it added to the performance. Last week I believed she loved Jessica performance so I really don’t think it has to do with her being a traditionalist. I think she calls it like she sees it which is what I appreciate about her.

• Michael Johns says:

I’ve seen almost all Reality Check videos and I think Melinda shouldn’t be trusted when she opens her mouth about Jessica. Last week, you can tell by her facial gestures and word selection she’s having a hard time giving her phrase. REALLY, she doesn’t call it like it is in this matter, which is upsetting since I’ve always liked her.

• HTGR says:

Once again interesting, because the show has her as do many commentators as the stuck-up, dark and nasty one or something (my impression, haven’t followed things enough to be sure) and yet behind the scenes the real story seems to be so different (As we’ve seen time and again before on Idol, how the contestants are presented and how big groups of viewers peg them and then real story from behind the scenes or even directly from people who knows them).

• Alexis says:

YES! That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Melinda has never seemed to like Jessica on these recaps. I suspect her dislike extends beyond the vocals.

• Michael Johns says:

I hate to say it, but I agree. It’s becoming more and more obvious recently. It’s like she doesn’t WANT to give Jessica any consideration at all.

• becca says:

Geez, i was reading about the jessica stuff and I too dont get why so many people dont like her? Her voice is great, Is it because she comes off as dark? Ok would she be treated the same way if she had one tone hair or blonde hair? I love her hair the way it is, but i just am trying to figure out why people and judges refuse to like her. Or her quiet personality? I dont know either.

• Mary says:

Did you watch last week Reality episode? Melinda has said plenty of good things about Jessica. This week she wasn’t impressed with one of her songs, nothing wrong with that. It is possible to critique a performance without making it personal. Actually that is what a true professional would do.

• Michael Johns says:

It really doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Melinda obviously has some sort of negativity towards Jessica. It’s almost as if she despises her for other things other than her talent. It’s a shame, really. This is only just my opinion, but I have a very strong feeling about this.

• Carol says:

Thank God for Michael. He gets Jessica. He’s always had the best taste. He loved Allison too.

21. HTGR says:

If anyone cares, youtube up “Star Wars Cantina Band Auditions”, and Chris Daughtry and Jordin Sparks each make an appearance. Kind of amusing.

22. HTGR says:

To me this week, first round:
    Jena took the first round, then Jess…………..then Alex, then Caleb (basically nobody pulls that song off on these shows, ever, it’s like contestant doom, one way or another it leads to their doom, then Sam.
    On the trio, Jena stood out, here solo part seemed much better. When they all sang at once you couldn’t tell. Overall it was nothing to get excited about. On her first song she was pretty awesome though, really took the stage by storm, great performance. On her second song, she got a bit into the weird pronunciation stuff and her voice wasn’t quite the type for Winehouse perhaps, prefer a more Winhouse or Haley kinda voice and approach, so I wasn’t blown away by it, but it wasn’t bad at all, pretty good.
    Jess was a bit underfelt and such on the first third, good second third and then really came fully alive and truly embodied the song that last third, great to see and then she carried that on into her duet with Caleb where she just lived it, let loose, felt it, free, she did an awesome job on that, Caleb did fine on that too, that duet was much more impressive than the earlier trio. Great to see her smile and feel the connection and get it. Something released in her. Yeah a few little pitch issues on part of it, but she finally totally embodied a song.
    It was kinda unfair for them to dog her for not seeming to do that for her second song considered Lana is kinda like a frozen zombie pose for many of her songs and those songs are just a different kind of animal. Jessica did a great job on the first part of Summertime, that’s tricky and that haunting low note stuff is tough and lot of female vocalists go to a mess on stuff like that, and should pulled it off with good haunting tone and mood, better than most could, it wasn’t quite as amazing for the second half but still good (and the second half is tough since it was written sorta for the weird vocal tricks of Lana, which even she can’t seem to do live so well).
    Sam needs to learn how to hit the songs harder at times and not fall back either on the beat, he did a bit better in that regard on his second song, although it had a bit of a shaky start to say the least before he settled into it nicely. And the level of red his face hit when a ridiculously hot and cute looking Ariana Grande came out I thinks put to rest all the labels, not that there is anything wrong with that, some were trying to put on him.
    Caleb had a rocking Whitesnake! As I said his first was just rather meh, but again, has any contestant ever not been kinda meh on that on these shows? Between the meh and it leading him to his foot in mouth comments I wonder if that song sinks yet another contestant??? Personally I leave all that stuff out of it though, but I know Idol voters often seem to pay more mind those things than the actual vocals.

• Tender Puppy! says:

I think I just have a problem with your general taste. The fact that you thought Jena’s screamy oversinging and unpleasant tone on that trio was good said it all. I’m so glad almost everyone on here felt that Jena’s “My Body” was crap, and that “Valerie” wasn’t much better. Slezak may be completely deluded by the judges at the expense of critiquing vocals, but I sure as hell am not. It Jena were a guy, Sleaze Yak would not even hesitate to bash her. That girl is actually a better judge of herself than the judges are; she seems to be the only one who admits she messed up (“So Small”) because Keith opens with “You’re SUCH a good singer!” (Idiot). Then this week before “My Body”, she acknowledges her performance compromises her vocals. Naturally, the judges ignore it in her case, and save the bashing for everyone else. So gross. This is quite possibly the worst pimpage in Idol History. It’s a shame, because I loved her after her Wildcard performance and “Decode”. Then, the glowsticks nightmare happened, and I was at odds with Slezak and the judges in regards to her, because suddenly, her bad singing techniques just didn’t matter anymore. And Melinda, you’ll always be one of my favorite Idols alongside Kris, Crystal, Joshua, Phillip, Haley, Kelly, Cook, Adam, Fantasia, Candice, et al….But girl, get over it with Jess. She’s subtle but in that sense, she concentrates on the vocals and heart of the song and conveys it so well that way. She and Alex are so superior to the performance antics of Caleb and Jena, and I just yearn for Simon to be back to criticize these contestants more properly. This new producer is quite possibly more rampantly manipulative than Nigel ever was. Hoping for a #JessAlexFinal2 — #OperationLetThemPenTheirOwnCoronationSingles!

• Mary says:

I guess not so Tender after all. You are entitled to your opinion however; you cannot speak for everyone on this board. I loved Jena’s “My Body” it was my top performance of the night I even downloaded. To be honest I have only downloaded Jena and Jessica. Caleb is entertaining but I do not see him as a solo artist. Alex is creative but does absolutely nothing for me. I cringe watching him and is voice is grating to me. I usually go for the singer songwriter type but for some reason I cannot warm up to him. ALL the contestants have room to grow and to be honest I don’t feel anyone is superior to the other, just different. It is possible to enjoy different artist without negating others.

23. HTGR says:

As for The Voice this week:
    OK, I’ve watched at least a good chunk of almost, if not quite every season of these shows since S1 Idol (JLo and post-Simon and the show itself tearing down it’s own contestants have made Idol a bit hard to take though in recent seasons in particular), and this was the single most all-around wrong bottom three result this early for live rounds in the history of these shows. Tess and Kat, among the first to exit or potentially exit?? I just can’t anymore. No point to comment anymore. Even with very low expectations for what would happen for the voting this week, man even my low expectations were blown away. When I saw that set up there on stage, when they added Kat, my heart just sank, it was all-around, up and down every which way hopeless at that point. I thought the XFactor voting last season was off the rails, sadly they seem to have all come over to The Voice now.
    I’ll just watch in silence and casual bemusement from now on (at least until the last anyone I really care about is left each season). It’s just a random, senseless whatever, normally you hope at least you get somewhat near the end before the whatever, and there is at least something to discuss for a while, but more and more you don’t even get that.
    And The Voice is just killing itself with it’s two at time and now even three at a time elims in live rounds. That is why it keeps trying to toss Idol aside, but never quite manages to. Bad for so many reasons. It’s gotta lesson connection to contestants which can’t help any of them post show. It makes it impossible for a dark horse to do anything. It makes it dangerous to risk. It makes lack of early slotting impossible to overcome. etc.
    Anyway, more than ever, the contestants definitely should NOT feel bad about early exists, because honestly, it says less than nothing about their talents, not in an ideal world nor even in the real world of music as it is out there. This is reality TV and that says it all. It ain’t real and should never be taken as such.
    Best to all the contestants. Peace out man.

• tealeaves says:

I think history has shown that double and triple eliminations are problematic. There is often someone who was clearly the worst of the week, or who has several poor weeks and their time as come. But when 2 or 3 go in the same week it is much more likely someone is going to be cut who might have spectacularly redeemed themselves the next week.

24. GuitarBlue says:

Update 2: At 10:30PM Monday .

The iTunes Top 100 Chart (Overall Chart)
    9. I Can’t Make You Love Me by Josh Kaufman
    20. How To Love by Christina Grimmie
    48. Get Lucky by Kat Perkins
    51. Hold On, We’re Going Home by Christina Grimmie (previous performance)
    63. Hillbilly Deluxe by Jake Worthington
    77. I Drive Your Truck by Kristen Merlin
    93. I Believe I Can Fly by Delvin Choice

The iTunes Top 400 Chart
    142. Forgive by Audra McLaughlin 149. Stay With Me by Josh Kaufman (previous performance)
    162. River Deep Mountain High by Sisaundra Lewis
    215. I Won’t Give Up by Christina Grimmie (previous performance)
    319. Let Her Go by Kristen Merlin (previous performance)
    342. This Is It by Josh Kaufman (previous performance)
    382. Dark Horse by Christina Grimmie (previous performance)

Also Alex Preston’s “Say Something” from the last Idol performance is still in the top 400 at #222 tonight.

25. GuitarBlue says:

Wasn’t “River Deep, Mountain High” the song that got Pia Toscano eliminated from Idol, when we thought she was solid for top 3?

26. Pk says:

I watched all the interviews that were done after last week’s show and I don’t see how the judges can not like Jessica. She was the most charming of all of the final five. I wish she came off that natural during the live shows. Maybe it’s nerves. Regardless, I think the fallout from Jena and Alex’s “no” votes and Caleb’s *insert appropriate adjective”-ness will benefit her this week. For me, she was #1 last week with Caleb and Sam in the bottom. I also would put Alex as #2. I just didn’t like either of Jena’s performances. However, she reminded me of a young Cher for some reason and who doesn’t love Cher?

I’ve thought Jena would make final two since the live shows began. I really enjoy her performances and am amazed that she’s such a great performer at only 17! I also thought Caleb would be beside her but I am having serious doubts. The internet and social media are powerful and it’s remarkable that some people still don’t realize it. Especially anyone under the age of 25. I can’t wait to hear what Michael has to say about Caleb’s remarks. I think Caleb is probably more like Biff from Back to the Future in “real” life than the loveable rocker he’s being shown as on AI. I’ve decided he’s more of a smart@$$ than a dumb@$$ and I really don’t care to watch an overgrown Bieber nor do I think the music industry needs another “Behind the Music” episode in the making.

Just my opinion so I hope the anti-Jessica movement spares me the vitriol and shows a little ennui ;) this week.

27. Eric D says:

Jesus H. Christ those random ass interruptions are becoming unbearable.

28. Linda says:

Let’s face reality here: Jena and Alex voting “no” is not some noble, courageous act meant to maintain the integrity of the show: it was strategy on their part. Seeing how the judges have been giving them tongue baths every single week, they voted “no” to make sure a competitor was eliminated to increase their own chances. The end. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad the producers plan was foiled, but if A&J were in the shoes of Sam or Jessica and knew they were extremely vulnerable they’d be singing a completely different tune. All five of them voted for reasons of self interest given the option they were given. Stop behaving like the two who voted “no” were BRAVE for it.

• tealeaves says:

@Linda, I agree with what you are saying. I don’t have a problem with how any of them voted. But i think they voted according to their perceived standing. Sam and Jessica thought they were in jeopardy, so they voted yes to guarantee themselves another week. Caleb thought he was safe, so while he might have truly thought it was a good idea to keep everyone together for another week, he might have second guessed himself if he thought there was a good chance he would be bottom 2 the following week. Jena and Alex had no reason to think they would be in 5th place this week but had to realize they could be in the bottom 2 the following week. The safest bet for them was to let things play out according to the original rules.

• Linda says:

I think in Caleb’s case he WAS feeling vulnerable because he was well aware that “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” was awful and it was his first train wreck performance of the season. I also don’t have an issue with how anyone voted. It all made sense (strategically) right down the line based on past bottom 2′s, online predictions, judges comments, etc. Sam and Jessica were wanting another guaranteed week of exposure, Caleb was feeling uneasy about his first bomb and Alex and Jena wanted a piece of the competition gone. That’s clearly all there is to it. The contestants weren’t even given the time necessary to make an informed, thorough decision, so to pretend like they were consciously trying to stick it to the show is absurd to put it mildly.

• Agent Smith says:

Not so fast. Sam was confused and later said he thought he should have voted no, but had already circled yes. But in another week none of last weeks drama will make any difference.

• Linda says:

Hence why I wrote: “The contestants weren’t even given the time necessary to make an informed, thorough decision, so to pretend like they were consciously trying to stick it to the show is absurd to put it mildly.” ;)

• Jamie says:

Jena actually said as much in one of the post show interviews with Synergistic Productions. Started off with some of the crap about following the system and how hard it would be to send 2 people home next week, but then later in the interview flat out said that it was a competition and she had to do what was in her own best interest. It’s funny, but I’ve lost respect for the “no” voters, not because of their vote, but because of their attempts to do damage control by spinning it into some more noble reason after the fact.

• Mary says:

Linda they were BRAVE for it even if it was for selfish reasons. It is tough not to cave into the pressure under the circumstances. They could of went with the flow and have a feel good moment and avoid any backlashes for voting no. I even give Jena credit for saying she voted no after the show. Alex didn’t but the rest said yes, so it was a process of elimination. I personally don’t fault any of them for voting the way they did, I think most of us are just glad it wasn’t all yes.

• Linda says:

Voting “no” shows no more bravery than voting “yes” in my opinion. There was no bravery in this scenario and the votes were all clearly cast on gut instinct given their standings. If Jena had been trailing the bottom the previous weeks and was being picked apart all the time instead of being fawned over like a toddler I guarantee she’d have voted “yes.” Actually if anyone showed bravery in the situation it was Caleb voting “yes” and taking a risk considering he got the pimp spot and lots of praise for it, plus had never been in the Bottom 2 or 3 before.

29. Jaszy says:

Oh…so cool! Slexak used a clip from the the French version of abc’s Resurrection called “The Returned.” That show is AMAZING! way better than the American version.

30. Tamara says:

Yup it’s confirmed, Jena can officially do no wrong in some people’s eyes on here… ridiculous how overrated she’s becoming!

• Mary says:

Overrated no, just that some people can spot talent. Heaven forbid if the judges actually like the contestants then we are being manipulated by them. Everyone has different taste and probably won’t agree on who is their favorite snowflake, but it is sad that our opinions are negated if they don’t match up to others. Jena has not been perfect but none of the other contestants have been either. I try to give credit where credit is due even if I don’t care for the artist. It is said others can’t do the same.

• Catniss says:

Yes, agree with you Tamara.

31. My Krav is Bettah says:

jena will win this.

32. rac says:

Jessica’s summertime sadness was playing over the music system when I was shopping the other day–it was beautiful–she may not have stage presence yet (Carrie underwood Idol 4) but I could have listened to her all day!

33. darcy's evil twin says:

First, thank you Mr. Slezak for pointing out Carrie Underwood’s lack of stage presence when she was a contestant on Idol.

Also, I guess I’ve been out of touch but I had to do a search for “Caleb Johnson’s R-word scandal” and I thought good night, what did he say?
    Retard.
    Seriously? We’re calling “retard” the R-word these days? I’m not sure how this became so politically incorrect since it has it’s roots in “retarded development”.
    Okay then.
    He didn’t like the Aerosmith song. Neither did I. I see he apologized. Offensive, perhaps. Call me crazy but I don’t put this on the same level as him robbing a convenience store.
    If this is what constitutes a “scandal” we are in serious trouble.

• darcy's evil twin says:

“its roots”. Need an edit button.

• MAB says:

DET, you are missing the point. Yes calling someone a retard is not a nice thing but that is not the whole picture. It is that he dissed his fans. He berated them for sending him song request and then told them I am not going to listen to you, I will listen to myself whether you like it or not. He gave them a nice big slap in the face for caring about him and it was not just because of the one song. He is unappreciative to the people who kept him here in the first place. He does not deserve to be there if that is how he feels. It is not okay to talk to people like they are garbage and it doesn’t matter what word he used.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I understood he dissed his fans and this is what Caleb said in a Yahoo! article –

“For the record that juvenile comment I made in the interview was not directed towards my fans but to the wackos that send hundreds of hate messages a day to me! You guys are amazing and I cannot thank you enough for your support. Sorry if it offended anybody it was the wrong choice of words. Also I greatly appreciate it when you guys give me song suggestions but it gets really overwhelming at the volume it comes in so please understand ! Rock on !:)”
        Could be sincere – or it could be damage control. Who knows? I am sure they are overwhelmed by all sorts of stuff on Twitter and I’m not sure it’s a good idea for them to have so much access to social media. Didn’t the contestants used to be more isolated – kind of like being sequestered on a jury? Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
        I listened to the interview and also caught the comment about the “hookers, alcohol, and cocaine”. I don’t know that he was trying to be edgy – it was just a failed attempt at humor. Remember, I’m one of those old, white, conservative codgers that was raised in the Bible Belt on rock and roll. That comment probably didn’t bother me as much as it bothered you young, liberal, open-minded whippersnappers, LOL.
        I’m willing to cut these kids a little slack. they are under a tremendous amount of pressure and they ARE young. I’m certainly not suggesting what Caleb said wasn’t offensive but it doesn’t rise to the level of “scandal”, IMO.

• MAB says:

I am also not young. I think you mentioned your age once and I got you beat buy several years. I am far from a prude either but I just feel that he crossed the line and he has to take responsibility for what he said and I don’t mean that lame apology either. He is not a kid. He is 23 years old and should know better. The remark about the drugs and hookers was also in poor taste. You are entitled to your opinions and feelings but for me he went too far this time. It isn’t the first time he got in trouble with his mouth and seeing his type of personality it won’t be the last. He definitely has a problem speaking before thinking. I just don’t think he is someone American Idol would be proud to crown as the winner. In all the years of American Idol I don’t think this has happened before and yes all those kids are under pressure and we have 12 other seasons of kids under pressure yet no one has ever been this rude or disrespectful to their fans who is the reason they got as far they got. He is nothing without his fans.

• Mary says:

I am the opposite I am more upset about the R word than dissing the fans. Sorry I guess I am old school and believe certain words should never be used.

• Stormy says:

I’m more offended by his remarks about looking forward to hookers, alcohol and cocaine on his home visit. I’m sure he thought it sounded edgy and cool and he didn’t actually mean it, but he’s still a jerk for saying it. He’s in some kind of mental time warp where he believes Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll is alive and well.

• AlyB says:

Yeah. I know he meant that part as a joke but the whole thing made him come off like a real pig. He may think that comes across edgy but it just makes him seem kind of gross.

• LeahKittyS says:

I don’t like that he used the R-word on his fans, but the hometown visit comments actually make him more appealing to me. Obviously he was kidding. But family friendly gets boring after a while. I like an Idol who isn’t afraid to be dirty while they’re still on the show.

• AlyB says:

Oh I totally get that. I prefer edgy, sexy, dark to fresh scrubbed all American kid myself. It’s just that he doesn’t pull that off. To me he’s just looking more and more sloppy and a turn off. I wanted to like Caleb because he does have a great voice and good command of the stage. But between his dated taste in music, the inability to do anything other than hard rock that’s getting stale and his repeated careless commentary, I’m just getting repulsed.

• waterbug says:

Absolutely and totally agree. If you need a reason to dislike him, just stick with the “rock isn’t relevant” argument. It makes better sense.This scandal is like putting a marshmallow in the microwave. It may fluff up for 30 seconds but it falls flat soon when you open the door.

34. Blinged Up says:

Michael and Melinda, I Luh Ya Pappi’s.

35. trina says:

I must not be watching the same show that everyone else is. Jena does nothing but scream – half of the words I cannot even understand. I wouldn’t buy anything she produces and if she comes on the radio – I’m changing channels. There are NO standout performers this season and regardless of who wins, none of them will go on to have the grand success that some of the Idol winners and contestants have (Taylor HIcks CD anyone? Its free with your coffee)

36. trina says:

And the whole twist thing was pointless. We were supposed to believe that no one knew how that outcome would be? IF you were the contestants – why not keep everyone and eliminate 2 next week – no harm, no foul same two still going away just affects the date that it happens. If you are the powers behind the scenes – what was the point of the “NO” voices being anonymous if its all over who those no votes were cast by? Oh that’s right, to cause a backlash and sway votes (even tho those votes are probably controlled in the first place.) Let’s face it – the elimination order and final is not controlled by “America” – all those votes cast might have some influence if the PTB sees trends, but they plan well ahead of time who goes who stays and when. Reality TV isn’t as real as everyone pretends it is.

• darcy's evil twin says:

In the meantime Caleb stole their thunder by using the “R” word, LOL.
      The best laid plans of mice and men, as they say….

• Mary says:

I think your wrong America does get the final vote. Yes PTB does everything in their power to sway the votes but in the end America does decide. Do you honestly believe they wanted Taylor Hicks as a winner?

37. Emma says:

Still don’t care makes the final 3 and who goes home. Can’t bring myself to care about any of these contestants. However I do think the top 3 will be determined based on their performances tomorrow night and not based on some after show interview where a clearly frustrated contestant said some things he shouldn’t have. I like to think it’s a singing competition and not a personality competition. I’m naive, I know, what can I say.

38. Mark Bravard says:

It gives access to a bunch of retards to talk to me, and I don’t really enjoy having to see somebody telling me what song I need to sing,” he said. “I think at this point in the competition I can pick and choose my own songs and represent me. I don’t need 10,000 people telling me ‘you should sing this, you should sing that, listen to me.’ Fortunately, guys, I’m going to listen to myself, whether you like it or not.” caleb johnson . he needs too go all he cares about HIM SELF FIRST.

39. rachel says:

No, Jessica ruined that song, Summertime Sadness is an awesome song and she was a hot mess.