Fall TV Scoop: Fox's DC Comics Drama Gotham Is Ordered to Series -- Watch the Full Trailer Now

Gotham Ordered to SeriesHeretofore presumed to be a lock for the 2014-15 TV season and produced as a pilot with a series commitment, Fox’s Gotham has now officially been ordered to series, it was announced on Monday.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

Fronted by Southland‘s Ben McKenzie (as police detective James Gordon), Gotham is currently described as “an origin story of the great DC Comics super-villains and vigilantes, revealing an entirely new chapter that has never been told.”

RELATED | Holy Gotham! Fox’s James Gordon Series Will Include Bruce Wayne, Penguin, Riddler, Others

In addition to McKenzie — whose character of course is fated to one day become police commissioner and collaborate with a batty vigilante — the Gotham cast includes Donal Logue (Sons of Anarchy) as Detective Harvey Bullock, Jada Pinkett Smith as crime boss Fish Mooney, David Mazouz (Touch) as Young Bruce Wayne, Sean Pertwee as Wayne family servant Alfred Pennyworth, Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot (aka The Penguin), Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle (aka Catwoman), Erin Richards as Gordon’s fiancée Barbara Kean, Zabryna Guevara as Gotham PD Captain Essen and Cory Michael Smith guest-starring as Edward Nygma (aka The Riddler).

Fox previously ordered to series for the coming TV season the Rainn Wilson-starring procedural Backstrom, the action adventure series Hieroglyph, the Will Forte comedy Last Man on Earth and John Mulaney’s eponymous multi-cam comedy.

Scroll down for a sneak peek at Gotham:

1. Nate says:

I thought it already was??? But coolio. Here comes the bashers in 3…2….1

2. Cool. Have they clarified if this is taking place in the now, concurrent with say Man of Steel 2, or in the past (like the 80’s or 90’s)?

3. Tran says:

Hope Gotham is destined to be one of the most promising new shows of the year.

• Mark says:

This is Fox your talking about they dont give any of there decent shows a chance —- unless you count Fringe but if you go by the numbers then its dead after season 1 — right idea wrong network

• ? says:

I don’t understand how this show works. If Gordon does a good job and cleans up Gotham, then why was Batman necessary? And if he doesn’t, then doesn’t he just fail all the time? Is this a show where its hero can’t win? How much fun would that be to watch?

• Ahem says:

….dude….that’s honestly the description of every superhero movie ever. With the big personal inner angst and the losing everything and the girl hating you or in love with your hero form and the blah blah blah. And then you realize that “Hey. Superhero dude didn’t finish villain dude. Sooo actually there wasn’t a clear winner.” And it starts all over again. If you’re not into that or havent realized this about superhero movies yet, than why are commenting?

4. wrstlgirl says:

Sounds interesting. Here’s hoping Donal Logue can live through at least one full season. Poor guy, lol.

5. CJSchu says:

I can’t wait for it to air on Fox for 6 episodes shown out of order before they cancel it!

• wrstlgirl says:

Honestly, you guys need to find some new material :-)

• drew says:

It wasn’t just Firefly. They did the same thing to Almost Human this past year.

• wrstlgirl says:

Almost Human is what I’m talking about. I loved that show and I’m disappointed but all the whining about its cancellation is getting annoying. :-) All the networks do it, not just FOX.

• S. says:

Fox is the absolute worst when it comes to early cancellation or shows out of order, though, with SyFy coming a close second. And it isn’t just the fantasy or science fiction but pretty much all their shows, like Enlisted or Almost Human (those shows never had a chance). I have no idea of their actual thinking about their programing, but it seems that they end up focusing on one show (24 or Idol) per season and letting the others to sink or swim with little to no promotion and then, even when it becomes a kind of sleeper hit, moving it to a different night and different time several times and not bothering to tell anyone.

So Gotham will probably have a great first season, and then someone at Fox will get a brilliant idea that completely ruins it and cancels it. They’ve done this before, a lot. Their track record is horrible. Absolutely horrible. They want all 24 or shows like Dads, and I don’t understand why they keep trying other genres. I will watch Gotham it because I love Batman, but I have no doubt that I will be screaming in absolute despair when it gets cancelled either halfway through or at the end. Fox sucks.

• Liam says:

That was my first thought too!

6. David says:

Could be promising and sounds more interesting than what Agents of Shield has become. Too bad Donal Logue isnt sticking around SVU though. And Backstrom has a ton of potential. I was seriously disappointed when CBS passed on it.

7. Ali Sr says:

Sounds promising 👍

8. David4 says:

Not shocking at all. It has cops and Batman, perfect for Fox.

9. Riana says:

There will be no Arrow crossovers. Let’s just get that out of the way now.

• S. says:

Even if they were on the same network, that still wouldn’t work. I believe Arrow and Batman are the same age, or at least Batman is a few years older.

10. Lorie says:

Looking forward to it.

11. Arie says:

Comic-Con, here they come!

12. Michael Persson says:

and they canceling it after 1 season like Almost human ;) dont wonder if they do

13. Barb says:

Just happy Sean Pertwee will be seen as a regular in a series finally. About time.

14. haymarilyn7 says:

Won’t be watching any of FOX’s new shows ever again. After they cancelled Almost Human, I don’t trust them to ever know excellence when they see it or to support one of the best shows on tv (I mean, what idiot executives think cancelling the #2 best show of 2013 and #1 show fans most wanted renewed, and a show that’s gotten several award nominations and has talent powerhouses like JJ Abrams, JHWyman, Michael Ealy and Karl Urban makes ANY kind of good business sense?)

15. Et al. says:

I hope it flops so that Fox will renew it.

16. Traci Warren says:

If some one wishes to be updated with newest technologies therefore he must be pay a visit
    this web site and be up to date every day.

17. azu says:

Fox is silly

18. Apples says:

This one is going to crater, I think. Shame, I like Ben Mckenzie.

19. Joey Padron says:

Happy show got ordered to series! Can’t wait to see trailer for show next week!

20. Kathleen says:

On Fox? Won’t bother since they’ll just cancel it after 10 episodes. If it gets to Season 3, I’ll give it a shot.

21. Jenna says:

I know I’m not in their target demo, but I’m very excited about this series. Can we pair it with Sleepy Hollow please? Then my Mondays would be complete.

22. Paul says:

This will be on Mondays after Sleepy Hollow.

23. Superhero says:

I’m hoping that this can be another Hannibal: a prequel show which sounds horribly unnecessary at first, but winds up being great.

24. Khorrie says:

I like the vibe it’s got. I’ll definitely give it a go.

25. sarah says:

Enjoy Ben Mckenzie and Batman. May check this out!

26. Very big cast for a Fox show. They will have to have characters disappear for weeks on end with no explanation.

27. Sherry says:

Growing up watching the original Batman series it will be interesting to see how the writers develop the characters. I’m looking forward to seeing if some old themes are being written into this series. I hope this show keeps our interest!

28. Robert says:

I know people been asking but I read a quote from one of the executives involved with the show and he said it will not be connected to the movie universe. Funny thing for me the character I am really interested in is James Gordon’s. fiancee Barbara the future mother of Batgirl, there is very little info on her in D.C. comics, that hasn’t been changed to match the constant changes in the Batman universe orgins.

29. Eve says:

Chills!!! Love the trailer. And I absolutely agree that it should be on Monday. Pairing it with Sleepy Hollow would make a perfect match (but will kill my DVR).

30. Juiceimus says:

This trailer gave me the chills.. this looks amazing honestly.

31. mike says:

Just hope they don’t put it on Tuesdays

32. Valerie says:

This announcement is bittersweet for me. I am extremely interested in Gotham but unfortunately I just swore off new shows on the FOX network. After cancellation frustrations with FOX the past few years, I just don’t feel my time there is going to be beneficial before renewal. I know it is a little counter productive but I am pretty annoyed with what seems to happen to shows I have really invested in. I hope there are enough people who watch that get it an early renewal, so I can see it sooner rather than later. If not then I won’t get attached and subsequently disappointed, AGAIN, by FOX’s decision to cut it. Good luck Gotham.

33. Interesting says:

I’m excited to see what this is about. Batman Comics as well the character has always been my favorite superhero and i cant wait to see how they reinvent it here. Hope it lives up to awesome trailer and doesnt disappoint like Agents of Shield.

Now, seriously people, you want to b-tch about its home network and what horrible things FOX has seem to do to you, do the rest of us a favor and contact FOX. Because here’s a secret, they aint reading your whiny comments here. So stop clogging the drain for people who want to discuss the actual show. Geez!

34. Yossi Weis says:

Looking great!
    Hope it wont be like the s.h.i.l.d,,,
    The trailer makes me look forward the series

35. Lillie says:

i wouldn’t say it looks dark and gritty
    but it could be fun

36. Todd says:

By design or not, did anyone notice the variations of the bat image throughout?

37. Joey Padron says:

Trailer looks good. Excited to see show this fall.

38. scott says:

Likely takes place now. Jist like smallville was based now and he became superman in 2018 or something. It would be way better based now and not in the 80’s or 90’s

39. The trailer for this looks amazing.

40. T.D. says:

So what is this series about. Is it a bunch of kids in highschool or mental wards that are learning the master their tricks of their trades when they become grown adults. Also I’m sure it depends on which Batman series or movie or tv show or comics you watch I’m not huge Batman fan but I do remember when Jack Nickelson played the Joker he’s the one who killed Batman’s parents. Then again in the 1 Batman movie I actually did like with Heath Ledger playing the Joker it didn’t mention it so who knows. I wonder if he is going to have a cool tricked out batmobile bicycle he will ride. Or if when someone gets punched it’s will say “POW” or “BOOM” I just hope it doesn’t have any men in tights playing bad guys. Well can’t wait to see what FOX has planned for Gotham. I would’ve rather they brought back Almost Human. Instead of Batman Learns to shave and his voice changes and gets deeper. Also will Robyn boy wonder be in it?