Post Mortem: Orphan Black's Michiel Huisman Talks Cal's Past, Meeting [Spoiler] & What's Next

Orphan Black Season 2 SpoilersIf you have yet to watch Saturday’s episode of Orphan Black, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, read on…

Orphan Black revealed the answer to a big mystery on Saturday’s episode when Sarah, Felix and Kira took refuge in the cabin of… Kira’s father!

RELATED | Orphan Black Preview: Season 2 Brings ‘Character Shocks’ and … a Traitorous Felix?

A former mark of Sarah’s, Cal was plenty shocked to find out the woman who stole from him also gave him a daughter. Now, the mystery man is neck-deep in Sarah’s mess as he tries to hold on to his newfound family. And good thing, too, because his background will prove quite handy in helping his ex, his portrayer Michiel Huisman tells TVLine.

Below, the actor also talks about landing the pivotal role, Cal’s bond with Kira and his future with Sarah.

TVLINE | Fans have been wondering who Kira’s father is. When you were cast, did you have a sense of what a big deal this role was?
I think so. That was also one of the reasons why I really wanted to do the role and be a part of it. I was a fan of the show and Tatiana [Maslany's] work. I thought this role, and especially turning out to be Kira’s dad, would give me the opportunity to do a couple cool scenes with Sarah.

TVLINE | Cal and Kira share some qualities. They’re both very bright. Sarah even mentions that Kira must get her intuition from him. Is there something more to that?
It’s something that they share, and it’s one of the things that he also sees in her that affirms to him that she is his daughter. I wouldn’t go as far as calling it a sixth sense, but they share that intuition.

TVLINE | Some people have been speculating that there’s something special about Kira and the way she picks up on things. She immediately picks up on the fact that Cal is her father.
Yes. That’s a great example of that intuition. And it’s also kind of heartbreaking. To me, it also meant that was, apparently, still very much on this girl’s mind. I’m not sure – I have to think very hard if we’ve ever heard her talk about her dad before. So the fact that she sees me and says right away, boom, “Are you my dad?” That’s pretty strong intuition there.

RELATED | Orphan Black Team Talks ‘Bigger and Better’ Season 2: ‘Nobody Will Say We Didn’t Go for It’

TVLINE | Cal’s being forced into fatherhood under crazy circumstances. How does he deal with it?
At first, especially in this episode, things move so fast that he can’t really wrap his head around it and doesn’t really know how he wants to deal with it. But what he does know is Sarah walked into his life and he really fell for her. Then, boom, she was gone. So when he finds her there, at first, he’s really upset. But he also thinks, “If she walks out of my place right now, I’m probably not going to see her for the next eight years.” His first reaction is, “Hold on. Wait a second. Just don’t run away right away. Stay here for a second.” The concept of fatherhood, I don’t think he can really even think about that yet. It’ll probably hit him later.

Orphan Black Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | Sarah’s lied to him quite a bit, and even the circumstances under which they’re reunited are quite sketchy. But he still reaches out to her. Do you think he’s still in love with her?
Yeah, I think so. There’s something about her… He’s obviously attracted to her, but he also thinks there’s something cool about her, something rebellious. He is, too, in a way, but she enhances that even more in him. I think ever since they broke up, he’s had a couple of relationships, but never met a girl that was as exciting to be with as Sarah.

TVLINE | We get some details about when they first met. Was it just a case of she flirted her way into his life? Is that something that’s going to be explored more?
No, we never really find out more than what we find out in Episode 3. I always imagined it being LA. Like she picked me out because she heard that I was a very successful entrepreneur, and I turned out to be an easy target. In the end, I think her plan was to rob me of a lot more money. [Laughs] I think she felt bad. She ran away not just to steal $10,000, but probably also to protect herself from falling for me.

RELATED | Did Orphan Black Cheat a Death? And More TV Qs

TVLINE | You had this speech about how you developed this technology. Is that going to play more of a role in Cal’s storyline? That was a lot of interesting exposition to just be random…
That is going to play more of a role. As we can see at the end of this episode, a lot of crazy things happen. Before I know it, I’m part of Sarah’s problems. I just met this girl that’s supposedly my daughter, and I feel like I can’t give up on these people. So I’m forced to help here and there, and in helping, it turns out that my background as an entrepreneur and my contacts and knowledge of how tech companies and corporations work and how they’re set-up comes in handy.

TVLINE | Does that mean Sarah’s going to open up to Cal a little more about what’s going on?
Yeah. She’s refusing to do that in this episode, but I’m going to go after her until I get something. I hope. We’ll have to see.

TVLINE | At the end of Episode 3, Cal has Kira. Can you talk about their dynamic?
Cal is really impressed by this beautiful, little girl that’s so smart and proves to be so tough to be able to live this bizarre trip of a life. Cal’s been alone for quite a while… Having Kira around forces him to open up a little bit more and have a little fun. I think he’s kind of scared of all of a sudden taking care of a child, but he also enjoys it. I think he would find it very hard to let go of her again now that he got to know her.

TVLINE | I think we’re all in awe of Tatiana Maslany. What is it like working with her?
It’s so much fun. She’s such a sweetheart, first of all, and a great, great actress. Nothing is too much for her. She’s not like a choosing-the-easy-way-out kind of actor. She gives it everything, always, and she does that with all these different characters. It’s almost like impossible. It’s not just a two-month shoot for a movie. I think the whole shoot takes about six months, and she’s working every day. To do that and do that well is so remarkable. I’m really happy that I got the opportunity to work with her.

1. Lili says:

I really think that Nashville should bring him back. The only moments where Rayna’s romantic life was okay was when he was on.

He’s literally everywhere: Game of Thrones, Nashville, now Orphan Black… but I’m not complaining. He is really charismatic… ok, I confess, that’s not the word I really want to say. He is hot.

2. Leigh says:

In one episode I like Cal for Sarah sooooooo much more than Paul for Sarah. MH is a better actor and Cal is a warmer character. Paul the iceman would work well with equally cold Rachel, but not Sarah.

• David4 says:

I agree. Best part of this season is Paul has been pushed to the side.

• Steph says:

Not gonna lie Dylan Bruce is SMOKING HOT, but so is Huisman and unlike the former, the latter can actually act! I’m looking forward to a love triangle as both guys vye for Sarah (and I hope she doesn’t choose anytime soon. If I were her, I would bang both of them as much as I could before finally settling on the father of my child). Although where has Paul been this season??

• Heather says:

I didn’t pick up S1 until the marathon before the S2 premiere (I know) and I wasn’t sold on Paul until the scene in “Parts Developed in an Unusual Manner” where he was tied up and Sarah came to rescue him from Olivier. It’s a tiny moment, but when he silently put his head on her chest (twice) as both a plea for help and “thank God you’re here,” I was suddenly very interested. It was a great choice for Bruce as an actor to to put so much into a small gesture as Paul realized how much peril they were *both* in. Even though their characters are on different tracks so far this season, I hope we do see Paul and Sarah onscreen together again.

• gdv says:

I agree—I really like Paul and I think Dylan Bruce has done a fine job on the show thus far. I’m looking forward to more scenes with him and Sarah. You know he will NOT be pleased that they’ve captured Sarah.

• I actually disagree about Paul not being as good of an actor, or character. They’re different, and written differently, and I really like Paul, although I agree that Cal is better for Sarah, but mostly because so far, he’s not lying to her. Paul’s relationship with Sarah was totally built on complete distrust, but with Cal, they know each other even if Sarah has been lying to him, she lies to everyone, Cal hasn’t, or at least he “seems” genuine. One of the few “regular” people in Sarah’s life.

Can’t wait to see his progression, but I am missing Paul in this season, as I was very interested in seeing how Sarah and him worked out.

3. Drewer says:

No questions about GOT?

4. neelsnotes says:

I am so glad Michiel Huisman is finally getting the recognition he deserves by starring in shows like Orphan Black and Game of Thrones, I think he’s great!
    Very excited to see where his character goes and whether he could potentially become a series regular- wishful thinking I guess.
    Definitely prefer him to Paul though, great addition to season 2.

5. D'Arcy says:

“I’m really happy that I got the opportunity to work with her.”

Sounds like he’s not long for the Orphan Black world.

6. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Hahaha wonder what Paul would think………Alison is a HOT MESS big time what the hell and finally always wonder who Kira’s father is so now we know. Seeing Felix and Sarah’s conversation about kira and LEAVING was sad. Overall great ep.

7. DavidSask says:

The show better pick up as is nothing like first season that made it great! 7 more episodes to change things around!

• Kevin says:

Agreed! Maybe they are setting up directions for the next 7 episodes?

• arianeb says:

Not sure what you mean. The structure of season 1 was that the first 5 episodes was Sarah trying to find out who Elizabeth Childs was. Starting with episode 6 the show broadened its focus to all of the clones and that is where it still is.
      The primary difference between season 1 and season 2 is that there was an “air of mystery” in season 1. The first three episodes of season 2 have answered a ton of questions we had at the end of season 1.
      The mystery is not needed at this point. We have two extreme organizations, one representing the worst of science, one representing the worst of religion, both willing to kill for their beliefs. Meanwhile, we have five women, joined together by common DNA, stuck in the middle of this war of extremes. Each one forced to deal with it in different ways.
      For me this show is just as good as it was last season. Because just like season 1, at the end of each episode, I can’t wait for the next!

• TTH says:

Great breakdown! You should write a blog/ recap of the show I would def read it.

• Leigh says:

I would argue there are still mysteries that need answering: who is the original? How did this experiment come into being? What is Project LEDA? Is DYAD bad or good? Are all of the clones’ parents involved somehow? Why can Sarah have children? Who will stop the Prolethiuns? Will Cosima live? What will happen when Alison confronts Donnie? Where the heck is Paul and does he really have feelings for Sarah? Will Delphine be forced to choose a side and, if so, which side will she choose: science or Cosima? Is Felix going to get a boyfriend? (Hello, Ramon.)

What’s been different for me this season is how spread out all the clones have been this season. In the first season, most of the action took place indoors and in the city, lending an air of claustrophobia to the action, which also heightened the sense that the walls are closing in. .This season has had the clones outside more, in open areas, and also not interacting with each other nearly as much as they did in the 8 episodes after Cosima’s introduction. But I think that’s about to change.

• Completely disagree. We’re 3 episodes in, and this show is still fantastically addictive. I have been loving every moment, and I still can’t get enough…..Weekly waits are epic-ly hard!

• Ally Oop says:

Huh?! What are you talking about? I am finding Season 2 even more fast-paced and exciting than the first season. It was well worth the wait. Definitely not a sophomore slump in the least.

8. Anja says:

Michiel is going to be a great addition to the cast. And he and Tat are smokin’ hot in that pic.

9. Kevin says:

I have a feeling that they are giving us too many questions at the same time. I just hope that they will spend time to answer all of them, not leave them in mystery like Lost did.

10. Elyse says:

I loved last nights episode and I love Cal <3 I still want hot Paul around for eye candy but I love Sarah and Cal together and Cal being so protective over Kira :) love!!!

11. Steph says:

“Big Farm Biceps” needs to be Cal’s nickname, just as Paul’s is Big Dick Paul. Oh Felix!

12. Nit Picker Jr says:

Boom. And, what arianeb said. Plus, (I don’t watch GOT but) Huisman seems a really good fit as Cal. Now if someone could just please grab the remote and fast forward ’til next Saturday. Anyone? Pretty please?

13. Mena says:

I loved the episode, lots revealed. The possiblilities of what might happen are crazy. Felix felt left out. Allison, felt alone and became depend again. Paul’s onto something. So is his partner.

14. Linda says:

Netflix- Please please please obtain Orphan Black 1st season!!! You’re my only hope to watch this amazing actress & the unusual plot. I NEED to watch Season 1!!

15. would love to see Allison get even with Donnie for all the years he let those people exaime her while she slept. He quite the butt hole!!!!