Andrew Garfield Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

andrew-garfield-saturday-night-live-host-video-recap-best-worstSaturday Night Live needed a hero this week, considering its most recent episode (with Seth Rogen as host) received a grade of C or worse from more than 78 percent of TVLine readers — and an A from less than 5 percent of ‘em.

And thus, the question loomed tonight: Would The Amazing Spider-Man 2‘s Andrew Garfield prove to have sketch-comedy superpowers?

I got a little worried when the opening monologue was based around the idea of Garfield’s possible ineptitude in the hosting department — with his big-screen co-star Emma Stone and SNL regular Aidy Bryant repeatedly interrupting him with unwanted advice.

As is often the case on SNL, though, Garfield’s success or failure came down to the material he was given — which, in this case, included a couple of amusing interludes and several unsalvageable stinkers. Below are my picks for Best and Worst:

BEST: THE BEYGENCY
This mock movie trailer began promisingly, with Garfield playing a man who foolishly admits to not loving Beyonce’s “Drunk in Love” and then discovering that his un-American utterance has put him at risk of being wiped from official existence — The Adjustment Bureau-style. From Taran Killam’s “Single Ladies” dance to a surprise appearance by 24‘s Kiefer Sutherland and Mary Lynn Rajskub (paying the ultimate price for their own musical opinions), this pre-taped bit was a total hoot.

BEST: OLIVER & DEIRDRE
Usually, Kate McKinnon’s Olya Povlatsky would be a shoo-in for “Best,” but the Weekend Update guest’s segment was a little less sharp than in prior outings. I thought about giving it to Celebrity Family Feud, but Garfield’s Justin Timberlake impression was far too toothless. Thus, I’ll give the hat-tip to this surreal reimagining of the famous “MORE?!” scene from Oliver — with Garfield in the titular role, and Cecily Strong as Dierdre, an adult woman (using modern self-help lingo and speaking in a slight southern twang) also fighting to get some extra gruel. “This is the year Dierdre whips back,” she noted when faced with the orphanage’s standard brand of punishment. “FYI, I whip the face!”

DID THIS ACTUALLY HAPPEN?: LESLIE JONES ON “WEEKEND UPDATE”
Writer Leslie Jones took a spot in front of the camera to discuss Lupita Nyong’o making the cover of People magazine’s “Most Beautiful” issue. In a turn of events I didn’t see coming, though, Jones’ monologue quickly gave way to her notion that as a strong, six-foot-tall woman, she’d have been “the No. 1 slave draft pick” in the pre-Civil War-era, being paired up by her “master” with a strong man in order to produce babies named “Shaw, Kobe and LeBron” to name a few. Somehow, this particular vehicle drove well past the corner of Edgy Avenue and all the way down to Yikes Street.

WORST: OPENING MONOLOGUE
You could almost feel Garfield’s desperation trying to wring chuckles from a monologue that peaked early with this so-so bon mot — “the cat’s out of the bag, I’m British” — and only got drearier going forward. [Cue sad trombone.]

WORST: WEDDING TOAST
Garfield played a Best Man smitten for Cecily Strong’s brand new bride — and using his wedding toast to make his feelings known. I’ll admit I got a laugh at Garfield’s reveal that he had a wife and four kids, but ultimately, the energy level for the night’s final sketch had me nodding my head and agreeing with Garfield’s lovelorn fella: Party foul!

What did you think of Garfield’s SNL outing? Grade the installment in our poll below, then sound off in the comments with your picks for Best and Worst!

1. John Jacob says:

nothing memorable at all. pretty bad

• fat richard says:

again the writer picks one of the only funny sketches and calls it the worst. the only two funny sketches were the wedding toast and the spiderman kiss scene. the beygency would probably be third just because everything else was pretty bad. and how many times can cecily play the loud idiot that just yells all her lines? i do not get the hype. and the slave thing, while i was not offended by it, just wasn’t funny. very surprised that made it to air. oh well, theres always next year. heres hoping they keep kyle mooney and let him shine more. the skrillex impression was completely wasted in the family fued sketch. so many missed opportunities.

2. chloe says:

Fail. Especially after the much funnier WHCD. Really not sure why I try to watch SNL anymore.

3. joe says:

I guess I should be dead right now. I’m sick of Beyoncé.

4. Leslie Jones was the real star of this episode. Please give me more of her!

• DV says:

Thank you! For just admitting when funny is funny and not trying to feign outrage or offense when there really isn’t any to be had . Sorry but I’m just over everyone being offended by any tiny thing anyone says.

• Maria says:

Agreed!!!

• DL says:

Weekend Update with Cecily Strong and Leslie Jones, please.

• Tammy says:

Give a Bitch a beef bone!

• Juju says:

Agreed that Leslie Jones was the star of the episode. She was outrageous, yes, but also funny and sharp and everything the rest of the episode wasn’t. (My worst was the Spiderman kisses thing, by the way. Just wretched.)

• dude says:

She was freaking hilarious and probably made up a bit for how offensive her speech was but I still couldn’t help but thinking, “you have a black woman at the center of a Weekend Update segment for once and it’s about what a great slave you would be?” Are you really surprised SNL is being criticized for how they utilize their African-American talent?

5. David says:

Can we get some Leslie Jones every week please? They should totally not be hiding her in the writer’s room. SNL needs a little edge.

6. Angela says:

I only caught the last half hour of the episode, but I did get a kick out of the one skit where Chris Martin stepped in to, uh, help with the ‘Spiderman’ scene they were shooting. That gave me a good chuckle.

7. Tina B. says:

I think you are being too harsh Michael, thought it was hilarious! Especially Garfield’s impression of JT on Family Feud and the kiss with Chris Martin, had a head ache I was laughing so hard at that one!

• Jill says:

Disagree. I felt Garfield (or the writers, i guess) channeled the wrong Justin. It read more like *gag* Beiber than Timberlake to me.

8. meah says:

The beygency skit was everything,andrew’s scream was funny.yess at jack and chloe showing up,can’t wait for monday.
    #beyhive stand up!!!!

9. mia says:

I think they need to just fire almost everyone cuz it’s not funny at all

10. Beth says:

I thought he was fantastic! How did the family feud skit not even get a mention????

11. Sergio says:

It was a great show! I thought this one is easily among the top 5 in the season. I respect Michael’s ability to get and share spoilers, but rating a show and certainly one like SNL doesn’t seem like a strenght. This is not the first time it seems he’s out of touch with what’s funny. Maybe you need to share your duties with someone else?

• Kim R says:

I agree. I just watched it today and I had read the recap first so I was thinking maybe this would be another dud. It was not at all and I would say it is definitely in the top 3! There were no real clunkers or anything that made me look away because I was embarrassed for the actors. :) I laughed many times. Did anyone else think the audience actually thought it was Dennis Rodman for a second? hahahaha He held it together though. Funny.

12. Tran says:

I give it a C. Another not-so-great episode like Seth Rogen was last time around. Kudos for Andrew Garfield’s Justin Timberlake impression as well as Noel Wells’ Reba in the Celebrity Family Feud skit. The Beygency sketch was the best in my opinion with a surprise appearance by Kiefer Sutherland and Mary Lynn Rajskub of 24. I think SNL should do a 24 skit sometime in the near future and they better book Kiefer Sutherland as host for next season if that’s the case. With Charlize Theron next week and Andy Samberg on the season finale the following week, I predict that John Milhiser and Brooks Wheelan are going to be goners after the season is over and remove Mike O’Brien from the cast so that he should go back to the writing staff.

• Tran says:

My bad. I think I should change my grade from a C to a B. Good episode in my opinion and I couldn’t get more Emma Stone (like her blonde better than she was).

13. tara17 says:

Great episode this week, with many laughs. I lost it at that kissing bit with Emma and Andrew. Leslie Jones was amazing, more of her please.

14. MNK says:

Leslie, Leslie, Leslie!!! She’s one freakin funny lady!!

15. MyExBFF says:

This guys is completely lacking in charisma. Not sure “acting” is for him. Rather, his acting isn’t for me. Pass.

• Ruby says:

You clearly haven’t seen much of his work. He was incredible in Boy A, in particular.

• His performance in Boy A is phenomenal, the BAFTA for best actor he received for the role was truly deserved.
        “This guys is completely lacking in charisma. Not sure “acting” is for him. Rather, his acting isn’t for me. Pass”
        Each to their own, I understand everyone has different views and opinions, especially on a subject matter such as the abilities and range of an actor. I personally think he has a very illustrious career ahead of him,
        I am curious to know what you have watched him in? I do hope hope it is something other than the Spiderman franchise. The Social Network, Never Let Me Go are two further great showcase of the talent he has,
        I am fortunate enough to have seen his stage work on a few occasions as Romeo in Romeo and Juliet back in 2005, also in the play Beautiful Thing.
        If you are ever presented with the opportunity to see him perform on a stage you really ought to, Some actors are more comfortable on the boards and it may alter the perception you have, (or not, as you say he may be one of those actors who just irk you. For me it is Will Smith)

This was in no way an attack on the opinion you gave,

• Still a better Peter Parker than Tobey, a shame the films he’s been in are hilariously inconsistent. He was pretty good in The Social Network too.

16. danin says:

Beygency sucked. Family Feud was pretty good.Enjoyed Coldplay.

17. I will Fix Idol says:

More Leslie please!!! also Loved Family Feud thought Andrew nailed it!

18. Diane says:

Replace Colin Jost with Leslie Jones on WU! Anyone else hoping for that for next season?

19. Alex says:

“The cat’s out of the bag, I’m British”? Who in the world would think that’s funny? It’s flatter than ten-year-soda.

20. nkc says:

More Leslie Jones please!!!
    This show is easily in the top 3 of the season. The last couple.of episodes have been duds. Last night’s episode actually he me laughing, and HARD. The Bird Bible was dumb just like it was the first time they aired it. The monologue wasn’t the best the Oliver Twist sketch wasn’t exactly my cup of tea but I still overall enjoyed the episode.

21. dman6015 says:

I would love to sit in on the writer’s meetings during the week just to see which writers and performers actually LOL at some of the crap they come up with to air. Does Lorne Michaels even care what he puts out under his name?

22. Brendan says:

I actually found the wedding skit hilarious… But it just ended badly