Grey's Anatomy Closes New Long-Term Deals With Justin Chambers, Sara Ramirez and 2 Others

unnamedABC has avoided a potential mass exodus at Grey’s Anatomy.

Sources confirm to TVLine that the network has closed new two-year deals with original cast members Justin Chambers, Sara Ramirez, Chandra Wilson and James Pickens Jr., ensuring that the quartet will be staying put on Shonda Rhimes’ venerable medical soap through Seasons 11 and 12. (Ramirez isn’t technically an original, but she’s on the same renegotiation schedule as the others.)

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on 23 Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Although ABC hasn’t formally renewed Grey’s beyond its current 10th season, the newly-brokered deals — combined with the similar two-year pacts inked back in January by Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey — all but confirm that ABC intends to keep the show around for years to come. (Keep checking TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard for the latest.)

Sandra Oh, meanwhile, is set to depart in the May 15 season finale. Also heading for the exit at Grey Sloan are second-year cast members Gaius Charles and Tessa Ferrer.

1. Whoops says:

What about Caterina Scorsone? Are they planning on having her around all next season. I love her and would really like to see her bc a regular cast member

2. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy that all the actors have signed new contracts with Grey’s Anatomy.However i think the show will end in 2 years when everyone’s contracts expire.Plus now the show has 2 years or so to figure out how to end the show the right way.

• Mandy says:

Absolutely. I think we will need to see Crisitina in the end, at least a check in visit and then I want to see it go the way of ER. We just back away and know their lives keep going on without us watching. That’s how I would like it to end.

• cycworker says:

In most cases I’d agree with you. But after all these years of investing in these characters, I wouldn’t be satisfied with that kind of ending. I want epilogues that tell me what happened to these characters… how many years people were married and how old they were when they died. Which of the kids followed in their parents footsteps. If Sofia and Zola were their generations’ Twisted Sisters. Who won award. Whether Meredith got Alzheimers. Whether as a DVD special feature or what, I want to know everything about the end of each of these characters’ stories.

• Robin Zarzana says:

I LOVE UR IDEA! Kind of a SIX FEET UNDER ending!
          I Very Much LOVE UR idea!
          Someone wrote to KILL IT & TAKE IT OFF OF LIFE SUPPORT!! Bozo!!
          GREYS HAS MANY STORIES TO TELL! They can even bring in a few people for various story arches from our cancelled sister show, PRIVATE PRACTICE!!

• Mandy says:

I soooooo agree with u on that !!! When Greys ends (which i hope is no time soon), DONT LEAVE ME HANGING ! I want to know what happens with all of the characters ! Dont just leave me with an assumption ! I want to know it all too ! Who stayed married, who got married, whos kids did what, etc !

• Jean Harley says:

I agree that would be a perfect way to end the series when it finally happens. Everyone loves to know what their lives ended up with. Perfect.

3. aa says:

Just let the show die, ABC. Take it off life support.

• Daniela says:

Life support!? Hardly. Grey’s remains one of ABC’s strongest performers in ratings and is doing very well creatively.

• Jared Munson says:

Which I think points to ABC’s struggles more than anything else.

• Will says:

^^THIS! Ratings wise it’s holding up, which is why they won’t let it end. Creatively it’s painful to watch, and I can’t take it anymore. As a fan since the beginning I too will be “leaving” Grey’s when Sandra Oh departs.

• Babygate says:

Not really. If you look at the ratings for the season, Greys is besting NCIS which is CBS’ highest rated drama. The only two dramas doing better in the ratings are Scandal and The Blacklist. Grey’s is not only an ABC top drama, it is a network TV top drama.

• Julie says:

I think you’re confused. Yes Grey’s does beat NCIS in the 18-49 range, which it always has. NCIS is still the top rated show in terms of total viewers each week, which they have been for years now.

• Apples says:

Demo matters vastly more than total viewers.

• Temperance says:

The ratings are the ratings, bub. Don’t mistake your bad taste for reality.

• Alex says:

Very well creatively? Really? wow. Not

• E.F. Coleman says:

Yeah it lost it’s punch when they brought a dead character back ala Dallas. Didn’t work then or now.

4. mary says:

not surprised, the focus is for sandra’s exit it would be sad if another original left the show without a proper goodbye episode

5. Jess says:

Thank God Justin is staying! I really need Alex to start a family and get his happy ending, now that he has finally found someone who loves him. But please dont drag the show for too long now, end it after s11 or 12.

• Mandy says:

I would like to see him getting married around the end of the show (a good excuse for Crisitina to swing by) and maybe learning he will be a dad. Of all the characters on the show, he has made the biggest growth. I love where they have taken his character this season.

6. trisha says:

realy happy sara renewed

7. LaKeeau says:

What about the others? Are they not up for renewal?

8. ggny says:

yes thank you! i really thought they where starting to phase Alex out of the show and only have him around once in awhile

• Julie says:

Just points to the fact as I’ve been saying for years that there are way too many characters on this show,now that we’re losing Cristina and the two annoying interns, hopefully the only character we might be gaining is Amelia.m I can tolerate her but I really hope they don’t bring three new people in to fill the void. Unless we somehow pretend the plane crash never happened and Lexie and Mark are alive and well somewhere, i do not want anyone else joining this cast. ;)

9. LE says:

I wonder when does the contracts of Jessica Capshaw, Kevin Mckidd, Jesse Williams and Sarah Drew are up, but I guess they are all gonna be on season 11…

10. Brian says:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz… more money thrown away on an aging show instead of new quality shows. That’s TV fpr you.

• MC says:

Maybe, it’s because the show still has one of the biggest rates on TV, still has a huge fanbase who supports it, still didn’t lose its quality and still gives money back to ABC. Maybe.

• Babygate says:

This! It’s funny how people try to put the show down and speak of it as if it was struggling to stay on the air when it is the 3rd highest rated drama on ALL of network tv in the all important demo. Other shows that started out with huge ratings have come an gone and Grey’s is still standing.

• Jillian says:

What new “quality” shows does ABC actually have though? All of the networks new shows have struggled the past few years. Smart decision to keep a proven success for years to come instead of a show that might be one and done like so many new ABC shows are.

11. MC says:

I can’t tell how happy I am to know that Justin won’t leave. I like Bailey and Richard too, but Alex is the main reason I watch the show.

12. Great news! Hope they can keep the quality of the show up to the standard they have set this season.

13. Claire says:

Happy happy happy! Long live Grey’s!! (preferably forever including Sara Ramirez..!) :D

14. Gail says:

Sarah and Jesse signed contracts last year for season 10 and 11.

15. Fernanda says:

What about Jessica Capshaw? I need CALZONA until the end of the show

16. Will says:

Justin Chambers signing should never have been in doubt. He has said multiple times in various interviews that he will remain on the series for as long as it is on the air. He has a family at home to support, and enjoys the hours.

• Chris says:

Except it isn’t just up to Justin on whether he stays or not. If Shonda felt like his character should be written out or if ABC studios didn’t offer him a new contract there isn’t much Justin could do to stay even though he was willing to.

• Chris says:

Not exactly true. Pretty much every major actor/character that has left/killed off has approached producers about leaving/let out of their contracts. (ie Chyler Leigh, TR Knight, Sandra Oh, Eric Dane) I doubt someone who was willing to stay (and a fan favorite) would be written out.

17. Babygate says:

Sara Ramirez is staying on. All is good again….

18. Fosho says:

Grey’s used to be must watch TV and the buzz was everywhere. Now I don’t know a single person who watches when previously my friends and I were throwing viewing parties, skipping social events and recording every episode (my sister can recite the first 4 seasons by heart), but sadly the show lost its glow about five years ago. Sad to see what was once a great show die a slow death.

19. N says:

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Tammy Ellaine Huston says:

I love Greys, hope it continues for many years and I wish Sandra Oh would stay I love you girl.

21. Shaun says:

I was hoping they’d phase The Chief out,they have enough general surgeons there.

22. otomen87 says:

I would like an offer a solution to those who said this show is unwatchable and horrible now. The solution is DON’T WATCH IT.

• Maryone says:

Wait! Is there this option? Seriously??? By the way some people talk, I think you’re wrong. Everybody is forced to watch every week. That’s why the show continues a success on audience even though people hate it.

23. Gordon Vega says:

Hi would you mind letting me know which web host you’re utilizing?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and
    I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Cheers, I appreciate it!

24. Jin says:

Why is this show still on? Train wreck!

25. Yourr mode of explaining all in this post is really good, all
    be able to easily be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

26. Chris says:

Why label Sara an original cast member only to explain later that she actually isn’t one? It would make more sense to say original cast members Justin, Chandra, James had renewed and also Sara who’s been a series regular since season 3. JMO

27. Japril♥ says:

Omg I want to see Jesse Williams and Sarah at season 11 and 12 :( love them so, my favourite couple! I need Japril until the end of the show now ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

28. Saints girl says:

I am so relieved that Justin Chambers and the others are coming back. Shondra has so many more stories to tell. I can’t imagine grey’s without Christiana but I am sure someone will step up. I love Derek’s sister, she fits right in. What more could a girl ask for besides Greys and Scandal?

29. kwei94 says:

Love the picture for the article!

30. Jessica says:

Yes, for Justin :D Mostly I want the show for him, Ellen and Patrick.

31. mary says:

La serie debe continuar, hay muchos temas que explotar aun, por ejemplo los nuevos hijos de Torres y Robinns, que es una de las parejas top de la serie. ABC hace bien en renovar los contratos a las estrellas de esta serie.

32. mary says:

Que Arizona siga, que pasaria si volviera Lauren? Habria una nueva infidelidad? Seria bueno ver que sucederia en un reencuentro.

33. Apple says:

Yay for Sara staying on the show! She’s such a brilliant actress. There’s still hope for this show after losing Sandra after this season.

34. E.F. Coleman says:

Hi Michael, not sure if your response was directed to me. If so i’m highly complimented if not it’s ok.
    I love watching TV and reading about it here is a great correlation to a real TV super fan. Keep up the great work.
    E.F.