Emmys

CBS, Y&R Lead Daytime Emmy Nominations; Defunct OLTL Revival Scores Best Drama Nod

Daytime Emmy Nominations OLTLCBS dominated the nominations for the 41st annual Daytime Emmy Awards, amassing 61 in total — buoyed in part by veteran sudser The Young and the Restless‘ 26 nods.

Trailing CBS’ haul, syndicated series netted 50 total noms, followed by PBS (44), Nickelodeon (37) and ABC (30).

RELATED | The View to Reunite All 11 Co-Hosts — Elisabeth and Rosie Included! — for Barbara Walters Tribute

Among daytime dramas, CBS’ The Bold and the Beautiful placed second behind its sister serial, collecting 18 nominations. General Hospital (with 16), Days of Our Lives (14) and the defunct online One Life to Live revival — whose seven nods include one for Outstanding Drama Series — rounded out the Top 5. (The similarly ill-fated All My Children reboot netted four noms, mostly in technical categories.)

Here now, the nominees in select categories; the complete list can be found at EmmysOnline.org.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
The Bold and the Beautiful
Days of Our Lives
One Life to Live
The Young and the Restless

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Eileen Davidson (Kristen, Days)
Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke, B&B)
Heather Tom (Katie, B&B)
Arianne Zucker (Nicole, Days)

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Peter Bergman (Jack, Y&R)
Doug Davidson (Paul, Y&R)
Christian LeBlanc (Michael, Y&R)
Billy Miller (ex-Billy, Y&R)
Jason Thompson (Patrick, General Hospital)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Melissa Claire Egan (Chelsea, Y&R)
Jane Elliot (Tracy, GH)
Amelia Heinle (Victoria, Y&R)
Elizabeth Hendrickson (ex?-Chloe, Y&R)
Kelly Sullivan (Connie, GH)

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Bradford Anderson (Damien, GH)
Steve Burton (Dylan, Y&R)
Scott Clifton (Liam, B&B)
Eric Martsolf (Brady, Days)
Dominic Zamprogna (Dante, GH)

YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Kristen Alderson (Kiki, GH)
Linsey Godfrey (Caroline, B&B)
Hunter King (Summer, Y&R)
Kim Matula (Hope, B&B)
Kelley Missal (Danielle, OLTL)

YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Bryan Craig (Morgan, GH)
Chad Duell (Michael, GH)
Max Ehrich (Fenmore, Y&R)
Chandler Massey (ex-Will, Days)
Daniel Polo (Jamie, Y&R)

Wheel of Fortune

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW HOST
Wayne Brady, Let’s Make a Deal
Jeff Foxworthy, The American Bible Challenge
Steve Harvey, Family Feud
Todd Newton, Family Game Night

The complete list of Daytime Emmy nominees can be found at EmmysOnline.org.

1. CourtTV says:

I’m impressed that OLTL managed a nod in their online format. And GH, not surprisingly, after the relish misery is not nominated.

• alistaircrane says:

LOL I love that all the tv soaps were nominated *except* GH, and OLTL got a nod instead! From what I saw of the new OLTL before it was taken off the air in Canada, I liked. It was much better than the revived AMC. It’s a shame OLTL ended because I was really hoping they’d bring back Marty and fix the mess the tv version made of her character.

• Julie says:

Relish aside – I think GH has been better the last two years than the previous five and in my opinion deserved a nod. I haven’t watched Days since the God awful Marlena devil possession storyline years ago. I guess the show could only go up from there,

• Anna says:

GH has been horrible this past year. Despite having knock-out acting performances, the storylines have been absurd, the writing has been off, and the directing has been eye-roll worthy.

2. D says:

Really hope Bradford Anderson finally gets the recognition he deserves! He’s like the Susan lucci of supporting actors now!

3. Eric7740 says:

Congrats to Eileen Davidson, Jason Thompson, and Eric Marstrof, well deserved nominations. Very disappointed the Michelle Stafford and Maura West were overlooked. As well as GH for Drama Series

4. Katy says:

Wonder what reel GH sent in because there 50th was truly wonderful loved all the vets (not so much loving the show right now though) pleasantly surprised about OLTL honestly I enjoyed AMC more but that lil Kelley Missal did some good work so good for her.

5. leigh says:

Agree with the OLTL comments. The episodes I did see were ok but the standout was Missal. I am surprised I haven’t seen her elsewhere since the shutdown.

6. Tran says:

GH should’ve been nominated for Outstanding Drama Series and got snubbed this year. Guess we’re wondering why Drew Carey still isn’t nominated for Outstanding Game Show Host for The Price is Right since he took over for Bob Barker back in 2007. Why Daytime Emmy voters still didn’t believe in Drew?

7. CourtTV says:

Chad Duell, really? I can’t stomach his scenes. Any of them. All he does is shout.

8. Sally4th says:

General Hospital is awful along with the writing. I hope this sends a message to Cartooni. He is an egotistical poor sport who can’t take criticism and I read he is already taking to twitter and having one of his 4 year old temper tantrums over OLTL getting a nom. The unrecognizable mess that is now General Hospital doesn’t deserve any writing or best drama awards. It has gone from drama to camp and poorly plotted storylines with holes as big as the Grand Canyon. Bringing back some vets and then treating them like crap is hardly worth getting excited about. He is even making the show worse than Guza and that is saying something.

• Mary says:

I actually love General Hospital. These daytime award shows have been a joke for a few years now. I guess I don’t have to watch again this year. I love the fact that he has been bring back old characters. I will admit I haven’t loved every plot but there is more good than bad. I don’t know how they are nominated but by the looks of it only CBS actors take it seriously.

• Julie says:

Remember when Joey Tribbiani won a soapy? That’s how I imagine the daytime Emmys. Haven’t actually watched in years.

• CHH says:

I just don’t get the hate here for General Hospital. I have watched Y&R / DOOL / B&B soaps off and on for years and the rest of them don’t even compare to what General Hospital is putting on the air these days. I have stopped watching Y&R & B&B because they are now SO bad. GH has cohesive and forward moving plotlines, little to no repetitive dialog and superb actors. From what I have seen of the categories most of the actors in them don’t make any sense. How do you not nominate Roger Howarth & Robin Mattson? At least they got Kelly & Jane right. No writing or directing nods for GH. There is something seriously wrong with this nominating procedure.

9. How did Roger Howarth not score a nod? and for that matter how does Jane Elliot (Tracy, GH) get a nod and FREAKING LAURA WRIGHT DOES NOT?? I mean I know GH got snubbed because of all of “our” relish nonsense but…

10. The Mangina Monolgues says:

How did Kristen Aldserson & Dominic Zamprogna get nominated? They are two of GH’s worst performers. Alderson couldn’t act her way out of a wet paper bag and Zamprogna delivers every line like he’s ordering a pizza. I am thankful that the horrid Roger Howarth didn’t get a nomination…he’s phoning it in (maybe he realizes how bad his storyline is) I know Jane Elliot is considered soap royalty but she chew scenery almost as bad as Maura West.

GH is a mess right now.

• bj says:

I can’t believe KA got nominated! I agree that she’s one of the worst performers there. All that huffing and shrieking when she’s upset.

I agree about GH being terrible now. They’re ruining the historical characters in the show and bringing in too many new faces, many of whom may look good but can’t act worth a darn.

• Julie says:

I like Kristin Alderson and Dominic Zambrogna. But I think Alderson got screwed by the fact that they had to switch her from Starr to Kiki. Pom more surprised about the actor that plays Morgan getting a nomination. Happy for Bradford Anderson and Chad Duell but Jason Thompson def gets my vote. I love how his character has developed from cocky playboy to what it is today. Hope he wins!

• Anna says:

Lolz, so true

11. Patrick says:

Wow, good job OLTL! Will this help us get it back on?

12. Coal says:

I think Scandal is more suited for these awards. LOL. I kid.

13. alistaircrane says:

We’ll find out whether or not there’s a God if Jane Elliot doesn’t win that Emmy. Seriously, her competition is laughable. Amelia Heinous? Kelly Sullivan? Good Lord!

• Mary says:

Kelly Sullivan was great in her role, but I do love Jane.

• alistaircrane says:

No she wasn’t, she was atrocious. I don’t even like Jane Elliot*, but out of those nominees, she’s the only one who can act. *Maybe it’s just Tracy I dislike. I’ve never seen Jane in any other roles, so it’s hard to say.

• Jamie says:

I honestly have no idea how Amelia Heinle was nominated. Billy Miller was bringing the house down in his scenes after his character’s daughter died, but Heinle’s ridiculous acting actually screwed up a few of those scenes. What a joke.

14. alistaircrane says:

I like that Eileen Davidson is nominated, but she should have won in 1998 for playing 5 different roles. I hope she will be playing Susan as well as Kristen when she returns to Days this summer.

• lululime says:

That year was stacked! I was rooting for Eileen too, but I can understand why Cynthia Watros won.

15. Bob Smith says:

If I see B&B get another outstanding ANYTHING I will puke. The writing on B&B is horrible! No historical connection, no character development, nothing about it is a classic soap opera. I realize Brad Bell’s family owns it, but can’t they get someone who can write for it???

16. TL says:

To say that I’m disappointed in some of these nominations and some obvious snubs is an understatement.

17. Kim R says:

My daytime TV consists of GMA and The Chew and I hope both win. :)

18. LonelyT says:

I’M SO SICK OF B&B … HUSBANDS SWAPPING , BOYFRIEND / BROTHERS SWAPPING !!!…

DOOL , NICOLE , GOOD FOR HER , HOPE SHE GETS IT !!!…

GH – STAFFORD , LOOK OUT !!!… SHARON IS COMMING TO GET YA !!!… Y&R …

Y&R … VICTOR … YOUR INSANE !!!… NICK… GOING TO PUT INTO THE FUNNY FARM !!!…

19. lululime says:

I’m a little surprised Blake Berris, Greg Vaughan and Casey Moss of DAYS were not nominated. Kristen’s tale was outstanding, but I think Nick’s return was maybe even more compelling.

20. CHH says:

I can’t even watch The Young & The Restless anymore it is so bad. On the other hand General Hospital is THE best soap on television right now. The Emmy snub makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Who picks these categories?

• Jamie says:

Really? As a long time GH fan, the snub makes perfect sense to me. The show has never been this bad. And it’s not the actors – the storylines and overall writing are just plain horrible now. I have never rolled my eyes at more plot-holes than I have with GH in the past few years.

21. Brow says:

Someone should give some kind of award to that darling little gentleman who plays Spencer on General Hospital. That kid is the cutest I have ever seen…I just adore him. He’s so cute that sometimes even the guy who plays his on-show rival, Cameron, has to keep from smiling and/or laughing.

22. JM says:

I can’t believe Jane got nominated!!! She has refused to be nominated for years. Wonder who or what changed her mind? I do hope she wins. She is long overdue.

23. Jamie says:

Between Billy Miller and Jason Thompson, I don’t know who I’m rooting for more. They both had phenomenal years.