Exclusive

Exclusive: The Mindy Project Losing a Series Regular Ahead of Season 3

The Mindy Project Season 3Shulman & Associates is downsizing.

TVLine has learned exclusively that original Mindy Project castmember Zoe Jarman, who plays naive, confidence-challenged receptionist Betsy Putch on the Fox comedy, will not be returning as a series regular in Season 3.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on 23 Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

A show spokesperson confirmed the news, but noted that Jarman “has been asked to guest star, so it’s possible that fans will see her next season.”

Since its launch two years ago, The Mindy Project has made a number of casting tweaks — so much so that Jarman was one of only four remaining original series regulars (joining Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina and Ed Weeks).

Thoughts about Jarman’s departure? Should Shulman & Associates introduce a new full-time receptionist next season, or pull a Murphy Brown and bring in a new temp every week?

1. Steven says:

Can’t say I’m surprised. Her character has barely done anything. Too bad, she seems like a good actress.

• i says:

Agreed. Barely developed. Even Mindy’s boyfriends guest stars have had more development than her. But the show is still great. I wonder if Ed Weeks is next.

• Para says:

As Long As Mindy and Danny is on I am good. I thought Ed Week is going to out since he barely has any storyline!

• I.R.E. says:

FOX was put under a bad recession this season and I think it might cause Zoe to get turned down too much. I would rather route more on Zoe and her Betsy character rather than Beth and her Beverly character.

2. LE says:

Not a surprise… they barely give her any lines and they waste Beverly.

3. Ari says:

I’m not shocked, they haven’t really written for her this year. Still, poor Betsy. I hope they write her out by having her meet her true love and going to do Christian missionary work or something.

• Babybop says:

Aww, yes. I hope they do write her out that way, it’s perfect!

• fat richard says:

they already did a christian missionary work thing last season, if they pull that card again i quit.

• S. says:

Why? Because you’re religious and found it offensive or because you’re not religious and found the idea of a missionary trip offensive? Either way grow up. They used it for story purposes in a completely believable way and it’s over. Why would they do it again?

• I.R.E. says:

Reducing her into the guest for next season should be good enough, but not yet axe her immediately!

4. Makes sense. I don’t seem to remember her character contributing much to the plot as much as making random snide remarks.

5. Jennifer says:

I LOVE this show, but why are all the women leaving? What happened to Mindy’s friends? It’s a frat club with Mindy at the center. I’m not a fan of that.

• Lena120 says:

You’re right. I’ve never noticed that before. It is turning into just a bunch of white guys with Mindy at the center. Um, what’s up with that?

• Jennifer says:

I don’t mind the white guys, lol, but I miss her friends! That’s what makes her a girly girl. BFF time!

• Patrick says:

Isn’t this pretty much Mindy Kaling’s dream life? I can totally see her as the type of show runner who would systematically get rid of any other attractive woman.

• Et al. says:

Nailed it.

• Jennifer says:

She’s too smart for that.

• Brooke says:

WTF? Have you even read her autobiographical-ish book? She goes on at length very lovingly about her long-term female best friends. You’re reading things into this that aren’t really there, and I’m not sure why.

• rowan77 says:

I agree, I think this has more to do with the network saying the show costs too much and they have to cut a cast member, than anything to do with Mindy thinking Zoe is competition. Zoe was not given much to do this season, so it made sense that she would be the one to get the axe. I’m sad to see her go and hope she guests often.

• Owen says:

Dear Rowan. Then why did they cast ANOTHER male lead this season?

• jj says:

owen I think that has more to do with the fact that Mindy was a Happy Endings fan and wanted to work with Adam Pally

• I.R.E. says:

Zoe and her Betsy character are not yet axed. Her talent is too strongly attractive both inside and outside. So she will be reduced to a guest next season. But I rather route more on her rather than both Beth and her Beverly character. But it looks like FOX network is under a bad recession this season.

• jenna says:

I loved Anna Camp on the show and wish her character had stuck around

• Jennifer says:

Me too. She was very grounding for Mindy. Their fight in the Thanksgiving episode season 1 was hilarious! I’m sick of all guys all the time.

• e says:

totally agree with this! i was rewatching some of season one since it is on hulu, and it was great with amanda setton, anna camp and the girl who played betsy. the show is definitely funny, but it still feels like it hasn’t found its footing, and your point about all the women disappearing seems to be part of the problem.

6. dru says:

now they can add another white guy next season

7. Lena120 says:

I wish her well, but I’m not surprised. They’ve done absolutely nothing with her this season. They just glaze over her obsession with Danny. She literally confessed her love for him at a party in front of everyone and their response was like, “Meh.” I feel like her, the older crazy receptionist lady and Tamara ( I think that’s her name) are just set dressing. Do something with them or let them go.

8. M says:

Honestly, I’ve always found her character annoying (and didn’t understand why they kept her over Shauna) but this show needs to just pick a cast already. Frankly, I’d say they could get rid of Beverly too except the show is so in need of female characters now.

• I.R.E. says:

FOX is under a bad recession this season. This show is supposed to be romantic comedy type, but unfortunately, they suspended the romantic part and appraise more on the comedy part for now.

I know all young adult fans of this show were routing for Betsy over Beverly, because Betsy is more of romantic comedy type and Beverly is considered comedy type than a romantic type. I know Beverly does not fit in this show, but we are forbidden to get rid of her right now, according to The strict old TV critics, watching this show, who are more strongly supportive on Beverly, rather than Betsy, Gwen and Shauna. Gwen and Shauna are not officially axed yet. Anna Camp, who plays Gwen, is not appearing in a latest bigger project after Pitch Perfect. Amanda Setton, who plays Shauna, is appearing in a new bigger project, but it is not doing well right now.

The only way for Beverly to reduce her crankiness and become more nice is more likely to add a cranky old man doctor character to substitute Betsy for the first half season three. Then later on, Betsy, Gwen and Shauna will return on the second half of season three as guests and the fourth character, an erratic young woman nurse, will join them as a fourth guest. Finally, those four young women will return as main characters.

9. I’ve actually liked this show less and less as it continues to narrow its focus on Mindy’s dating life. It still feels like it could be the next 30 Rock, but it’s weird to me that this fantastic writer is so far unable to write a great role for another female on the show. It’s turning into backwards Big Love.

• rowan77 says:

I’ve enjoyed the show more this season than last. This season is more focused, smarter, tighter and has finally found it’s voice. Every show gets retooling and chances are the cut has more to do with budget than anything, Studios pull this sh-t all the time. Remember how they took Criminal Minds – one of their major hits – and insisted that they fire the cast member with the lowest TVQ to cut costs? They cut AJ and the viewers revolted (as did the writers in a way – they way they wrote JJ off the show was a thinly veiled slap at the studio) and the next season she was a regular again.

10. Yolo P says:

Biggest problem this show has is managing their actors properly. A lot of season 1 faces (her best friend Anna Camp, that hot receptionist who is now in Crazy Ones, their gay boss) are not here anymore. And now, Betsy.

The character is basically a useless one since she does not do anything funny or have a decent plot. All we have is Mindy mindy mindy mindy dating white guys. The actress deserves something better than this.

Mindy Kaling needs to give some decent arcs to her characters.

• Jillian says:

Anna Camp and Amanda Setton left for bigger projects. Anna Camp was signed on to TMP before her star blew up with Pitch Perfect. It’s a shame that everyone is blaming Mindy for this casting cut and not the actress herself OR Fox.

• I.R.E. says:

Anna Camp is not doing any bigger project after Pitch Perfect and Amanda Setton’s new bigger project is not doing well right now. They both more likely will return to this show as guests. FOX is under a bad full recession this season and this show is not the only one having problems. Glee and New Girl are both having the same problems currently. Next season everything will be alright for these three shows.

FOX will be under some bad partial recessions in 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2019-2020, 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 seasons, but the next bad full recession will be in 2025-2026 season, which I predict, IMO. It is very complicated to explain, but I will let you know by then.

11. Regina says:

I totally thought it was going to be Ed Weeks considering we’ve barely seen him lately… I’m not a huge Betsy fan though so this isn’t terribly disappointing.

• Jennifer says:

I thought it would be Ed too. He’s totally underused and it’s all Mindy or all Peter. I LOVE this show, so it’s disappointing.

• knd says:

I thought it was Ed Weeks too! I’ve barely seen him in forever. I actually always forget he’s on the show until he randomly pops up.

• Brandi S says:

I was afraid it was going to be Adam Pally- I already lost him once with the cancellation of Happy Endings… I hope he is on Mindy for the long haul, whatever that may be. He is THE BEST.

12. Gretchen says:

I thought it was going to be Ed Weeks who’s out. He wasn’t even in the last two episodes.

13. Dani says:

Like real life, all the doctors get all the attention in this show. :P Well Morgan and Tamra are the only non-doctor characters to get some kind of b-plot story line during this season.

• Lena120 says:

You mean that one episode they got when they were caught in the closet? The episode that was really about Danny losing Mindy’s friendship. Sigh. As someone said before, it’s either all about Danny or all about Peter. Even Jeremy’s not doing much. I think he’s the show’s most improved character. I hated him in season 1.

14. rawley says:

I’m very okay with this. The headline scared me at first.

• Anna says:

Yeah, me too. Didn’t even remember that Betsy was a series regular, based on the screentime she got this past season… Still, I think I just had a little heart attack just reading the headline. Thanks, TVLine!

15. Rich says:

I don’t know how they’re going to fill the 2.6 seconds per episode that she currently appears in.

16. Rebecca Parker says:

When I saw the headline, I was worried that it would be Ed Weeks leaving, as he’s been quite underused this season. All the best to Jarman, but she would have been my choice to leave. Hopefully she can flourish on another show like Amanda Setton did.

17. Nancy says:

I’m not surprised she doesn’t really do anything on the show so..

18. Jason says:

I am not surprised since Betsy does nothing but I like that actress and the character nonetheless. They should also ditch the British doctor; he’s useless.

19. liz says:

really problematic that there are almost no women on a show about an OBGYN office. Mindy is the main, but she never interacts with any regular women

20. Lindsey says:

Apparently I’m alone on this, but I have been liking the show so much more since it became more centered on Mindy and the guys! I hated the times in the season one when we had to suffer through Mindy’s “girlfriend time”! It never felt real to me… Always seemed like they threw Anna Camp in there because they felt like Mindy should have girlfriends, but I think part of the charm of this show is that Mindy is not the type of woman that could ever have girlfriends! She seems way too self-absorbed and neurotic to keep up a normal friendship outside of work, and that’s why I love her!!! The fact that her only friends are her co-workers works for me! And the way this season has centered on her romantic tension with Danny has been great! Also, love the addition of Tim Daly!!! Awesome character!!!!!!

• Nancy says:

I agree with you Lindsey they tried to give Mindy a bunch of girlfriends in Season 1 and they all just seem to fall flat. I like seeing Mindy with the guys it just works the chemistry with all the guys its just there.

• abby says:

I get why Anna Camp was cut as her character never fitted for me either this comedy works better being work central comedy so devoting regular screen time to a friend away from that didn’t work but really there is no reason all her co-workers need to be male which seems to be the direction this show is heading in.

• karin77777 says:

You are not alone. Same here. I never liked Mindy’s girlfriends. But probably our opinion is not popular.

21. Glad it’s Betsy and her whiny ridiculous baby voice leaving and not anybody else. I certainly don’t miss any of the friends fro S1, especially Anna Camp, she played the part too way to upper crust to be slumming with a Mindy type character. Now if we could just tone down Mindy’s voice and stick her with guys more in her league……

• Megan says:

Mindy Kaling is a beautiful, smart, successful woman… who is “more in her league,” exactly? That remark is insulting to pretty much everyone.

22. SJ says:

I didn’t even realize she was a series regular.

23. christine says:

Dead weight. I was worried!

24. Matt says:

Love Kahling and the Mindy character, but the lack of other interesting female characters is a real drawback to this show. Actually, all of the characters, except for Mindy, Danny and (so far) Peter, are sort of problematic. BUT, I often love much of the show and could likely forgive all of the other problems if they would just dial back Morgan’s screentime (and Ike’s performance) a good 75%.

• Stacy says:

Totally disagree. I love Morgan. The only think I might change would be to give his character more of an independent story.

• gdv says:

I’m also a huge Morgan fan. Tamra also cracks me up (as does Rayron … simply b/c his name is Rayron).

I don’t get all the negative ranting going on. I didn’t mind Betsy but I don’t think she adds as much as the other side characters do. And as far as the cast being male-dominated, there’s still a female as the main character. Plus, I’m female and I’ve always had more male friends than female. Not on purpose but that just seems to be the way it works out. I don’t think that says anything negative about me as a person or that I can’t “share the spotlight” with other females. Ugh. That in itself is totally sexist. Would anyone say that about a show with a guy at its center? Nope.

25. Stacy says:

I’ll admit this show isn’t the best of ensembles. That said, I don’t mind it. Betsy and Jeremy can both go! I don’t dislike them, but their characters add very little to the show. Morgan and Tamra have comedically been the best addition to the show. I think they’re figuring out how best to use Beverly, but it’s taken a while.

I enjoyed Anna Camp’s character, I think it was just difficult to tie her in to the everyday doctor set.

26. Oliver says:

Not surprising… I hate to play into anti-feminist stereotypes, but apparently Mindy can’t share the spotlight with other women. There are very few women who currently serve as the creator, executive producer, and star of their own comedy series. Yet, instead of opening doors for other comedic actresses, she’s now fired three female series regulars (Anna Camp, Amanda Setton, Zoe Jarman). Yet, she added two male characters (Morgan, Peter) who are completely redundant archetypes (even though both actors are very talented and funny). If they want to shake up the show and add new energy, why not bring on a strong female foil (like Eliza Coupe)?

• I loved it when she had a coterie of woman friends to bounce things off of. Where are they??? I’m just sad Ed Weeks character has been pushed aside because of Peter. I didn’t miss the wise-cracking girl who Morgan had a crush on. Beverly just has the most amazing one-liners. “Beverly Something” was genius. They must get Danny and Mindy back because it’s just too contrived they aren’t together. There is just so much push-pull that it would be fun to watch them as a couple. a real couple.

• meow says:

Eliza Coupe is a fantastic suggestion. I love her, I really hope she gets onto a show that stays. And you’re right, she could play a good foil to Mindy, she’d be a little more down to earth.

27. schu says:

Bring back Anna Camp! But as long as Tamra is still getting stories the show has some female comedic punch other than Mindy.

28. Ginger says:

Her character won’t be missed. Maybe they can add the talented Krysten Ritter (The B In Apartment 23) to the Mindy cast.

• S. says:

You can’t just add actors like you’d pick up food at a grocery store. Krysten might guest star but she’d never do a permanently supporting role. She thinks of herself as lead and that’s where she’s getting interest right now. At least she’d want to be a co-lead a la the cast of Friends or something. She’d never be a receptionist or nurse.

29. Tee says:

I thought it was going to be Ed Weeks, it just hit me earlier how little he’s been seen and I really haven’t been missing him. Adam Pally has been a fun wingman/sounding board so glad he’s getting more time.

It’s unfortunate that the women in the cast besides Mindy seem to have less of a grove so they’ve been a bit of a revolving door. They should cast another friend type role for the occasional appearances, girls nights out.

30. abby says:

I’m not even a fan of the character but honestly if this show needs to cut a character it shouldn’t be yet another female, they need some balance it already feels like Mindy and the boys club. I do get why they keep cutting the females because they are usually the most underused and underdeveloped but then that brings us to the question of why the men supporting characters are made more relevant than the females.

31. Sid says:

What exactly does “in her league” mean??

32. Sid says:

Anna Camp left on her own accord because it was right after Pitch Perfect was a hit so she left to pursue film. Not MK’s fault there. And what exactly is meant when people say Mindy should date people “more in her league”?? Get real.

33. Kd says:

They should get rid of Beth person. It didn’t make sense why she returned she sued to get back in? She should of been arrested for assaulting Mindy

• I.R.E. says:

It was the order the strict old TV critics, who are watching the TMP, to bring back Beth. I know Beth is a comedy actress and not a romantic type at all.

34. Sims says:

Mindy Kaling decides to get rid of the only other female series regular. Colour me shocked. As a show runner she should appreciate that she shouldn’t be the only female in the room, and that she doesn’t fulfil the minority requirements alone. Why has Peter taken over the show? I miss Ed Weeks. Morgan appears too much and too often, just because you’re a producer and writer on the show Ike doesn’t mean you can write it all for you.

35. LaPiquante says:

Not at all surprise that Kaling decided to eliminate another female regular. She’s working her dream job, casting the cute boys, and focusing the story on herself, and how she functions around all these men. It’s how her writer’s room is, and it’s where the show is headed. Glad I checked out after the first season.

36. i have only recently started watching this show. i’ve only seen the last 2 episodes.

37. By “in her league” I mean exactly that! Don’t get all self righteous. I did not mean she should only be with ethnic men but she has cast some very, very good looking men to be her significant others and that just doesn’t ring true to me. Is she smart? Yeah, she must be if she’s a doctor but she’s also terribly immature, has no common sense and shows lack of good judgement again and again and again. I can’t see her getting anything after a coffee date with the guys she casts. Maybe Casey as he was a big a ditz as she was.

• S. says:

Yeah if you get a show, you’re gonna cast good looking guys as your partners. Nobody wants to go ‘no way I can pull that’ and purposefully cast less attractive people. You’re the boss. You pick’em. She did put BJ Novak on as one and they did date in real life. I could’ve sworn Mindy’s said something about having a lot of crushes that are one-sided. Might be making it up in my head, but the point is, she doesn’t have to live reality. This show’s fiction and things that happen in it are often a bit fantastical since it’s got rom com all over it. I say good for her. I’d be casting those guys too. Have Messina make out with you and dance for your pleasure. Why not? Definite job perk.

38. I.R.E. says:

I think she should stay in this show because she has a strong attractive talent inside and outside. Zoe looks hot, but what is her next project just in case?

39. Mindy project yeah says:

Yeah, come on c&c you are totally judgemental when u say what u say and its based on mk’s body type alone. Admit it!

• I.R.E. says:

It turns out that all critics and viewers have to be men, women, older people and younger people. But unfortunately, in this type of bad recession that FOX is under right now, the type of critics required on this show before time runs out should be both all men and all older people right now. It has been confirmed that Zoe and her Betsy character are still reduced as guests, but not yet axed, and Gwen and Shauna characters have been confirmed not yet axed at all, either. Those two character should return to this show as recurring guests. But right now, during season three, a cranky old man doctor character will substitute the Betsy character, and the erratic young woman nurse character will join in later next season as a guest. Afterwards, if the ratings of this show go up during season three, then those four women characters will return joining the main cast of this show. Otherwise, they will just stay put as guests, IMO.

40. I.R.E. says:

We already know that FOX member Kevin O’Reilly was the cause on both 1.) the general FOX financial network collapsing incident and 2.) hurrying with too many changes in this show. Kevin is officially fired and they already find a new replacement of him, but they did not reveal what is the name of his replacement.

Zoe Jarman is officially considered the reduced guest of this show’s third season. But they are going to add a cranky old actor into this show’s third season main cast as a cranky old man doctor character in order to help increase more chances of this show’s extended survival.

Yeah, it was wrong to get rid of both Anna Camp and Amanda Setton because it will destroy this show’s romedy (romantic comedy) style. I know they are appearing in other projects, but in the meantime, I think they both need to return to this show as reduced guests. If they both stayed in this show in the beginning and be reduced as guests back then, then it will work. If Zoe Jarman is officially removed from this show, then the whole romedy style in this show will collapse automatically.

41. Jennifer Brown says:

Is Robert Pastorelli (Eldin) available to play the receptionist?

42. Severena says:

I wanted betsy and jermey to be a couple :'(

43. Enn says:

I thought she was a great part of the cast! I definitely like her more than Tamara, who I find to be an obnoxious addition.
    Bring Betsy Back!!!