Exclusive

American Idol Exclusive: Top 5 Song Spoilers!

011085American Idol‘s Top 5 performance show (tonight, 8/7c on Fox) is all about power to the people — but did the people use their power responsiby?

That’s a question you can decisively answer — since TVLine has the full list of song spoilers for an “America’s Request”-themed episode: Jena, Caleb, Sam, Jessica and Alex chose two songs apiece from a list of producer-curated ditties that were originally suggested by fans via Twitter.

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

The full set list provided exclusively to TVLine is as follows:

Alex Preston
The Neighbourhood’s “Sweater Weather”
A Great Big World (feat. Christina Aguilera)’s “Say Something”

Caleb Johnson
Whitesnake’s “Still of the Night”
Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing”

RELATED | Your May Finales Calendar: What’s Ending When?

Jena Irene
Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie”
Young the Giant’s “My Body”

Jessica Meuse
Christina Perri’s “Human”
Lana del Rey’s “Summertime Sadness”

Sam Woolf
Ed Sheeran’s “Sing”
The Fray’s “How to Save a Life”

SNAP JUDGMENT: With Caleb’s choice of the Armageddon soundtrack cut, “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” will tie Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing” as the most (over)done song in Idol history. I mean, seriously, what were the other viewer suggestions? “Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)”? “Macarena”? “California Gurls”? That said, “Still of the Night” could be really inspired — a bracing jolt of badassery in the midst of a sleepy set of tunes.

I am definitely digging “My Body” for Jena, “Summertime Sadness” for Jessica and “Sweater Weather” for Alex — all of which could provide needed shakeups in the tone/ tempo/mood departments. Sam’s choices have me the most worried; can the kid really handle what “Sing” requires? We’ll find out in a few hours!

What do you think of the Top 5′s song selections? Who’s most likely to succeed? Whose choice puts ‘em most at risk going into the night? Sound off in the comments!

1. Kaba says:

Who do I have to hunt down and kill to figure out how Jess got “Human” as a viewers choice?
    That’s a wrap you guys, a girl is going home this week. Someone slapped Jena with Valerie…
    What the hell?

• It depends on how Jess does on those songs. ‘Human’ is a very pretty song. I don’t mind that it’s one of her choices and if she pulls out some emotion it can really get her going. On paper it looks good, let’s see how she delivers before we send her home. I think Sam’s picks on paper are worse and super safe. Alex’s version of “Say Something” could be big. I know he is friends with Alex and Sierra that did that song on X Factor, and that was big for them on a show that no one really watched. I only watched that performance after it had aired and heard it was amazing. Caleb’s picks are a little predictable and maybe a little safe. I don’t mind Jena’s picks, maybe because I love “Valerie” and can’t wait to see what she does with it.

• Kaba says:

On paper, for Sam? Sing is crazy, it has rapping in it majority of the song and it’s so rhythm driven.
        Two things I have poor faith in Sam doing well, so I wouldn’t call that one safe simply because people were apprehensive about how Sheeran himself would do it…but it’s still a potential suicide song if he doesn’t match the energy of the song.
        Jess is really going to have to emote with both of these songs, they have fairly heavy emotions in both so I’m worried she will be stale faced once again.
        Alex…it’s “Say Something”. People gushed when Spencer sang it. Alex singing it? Oh that’ll be murder for everyone cause they’ll be so “blown away”.
        Caleb’s picks are predictable and don’t take him out of his wheelhouse at all.
        I seriously do not know what Jena can possibly bring to Valerie.

• Karina says:

I dont know how anyone can say Sing is a predictable song choice for Sam. It has rapping and falsetto. Im not a Sam fan, but this is a risky choice.

• Mommyruns says:

I agree that this is the riskiest choice of the bunch – it also is the most recent release and won’t have as much traction with older viewers. This has the potential to be a train wreck or a masterpiece.

And while Mr. Slezak is obviously not in Sam’s corner, at this point in the competition I really want to see ALL of them do well! Music is a big tent and there’s room for each of them. Success doesn’t only mean becoming a chart topper – I can easily see all of them being able to support themselves through their musical ability and finding fulfillment that way!

• brandy says:

I actually feel like she could kill with these songs. It’s not going to force her to do anything awkward, and gives her a chance to show emotion.

• Jase says:

All I know is this will be yet another night where I watch Survivor live, DVR Idol and watch it later, Jena will be the best, Jessica/Caleb/Alex will be OK, Sam will be godawful, Jessica will get the worst criticism/muted praise, some sycophants in this comment section will declare a merely good performance as “a moment” (there won’t be any), and Jessica will go home easily tomorrow despite being better than Alex and especially Sam. My god what a boring season this has been.

• syb says:

I think Valerie could be great actually. Depends on the arrangement, but Jena has the voice for it.

• PGV says:

How is Human a bad song choice for Jess?? Love the song, and I think, with her breakout emotional Jolene performance, she’ll be great! Plus, she has the bus-driving judges to help her bring out all those feelings! “I’m only human…” Hope it’s her 2nd song!! lol

• Kaba says:

The question is if we will see that same Jess this week.
        Inconsistency has been a big part of this season.

• PGV says:

Can’t disagree that the season overall has been inconsistent! Following Jess on Twitter though, I can tell she knows she Must keep bringing those emotions out. Fingers crossed she brings it again, because the girl has got the vocal chops!!

• antz says:

I choose Human for Jess, though I don’t how you’re gonna kill me. I mean look Jess has been doing a lot epic ferocious nailed-to-death performances yet she still ended up in the BOTTOM 2. As a fan I just want to see the soft side of her.

• antz says:

I chose Human for Jess, though I don’t know how you’re gonna kill me. I mean, look, Jess has been giving a lot of ferocious nailed-to-death performances yet she still ended up in the BOTTOM 2. As a fan I just want to see the soft side of her.

• Stay Calm, People! says:

next time, stay chilled…
      it’s not wrapped, a guy went home…

2. S says:

I could have guessed Sam’s. There is absolutely no creativity there. Jeez.

• Kaba says:

I’d argue that Alex’s are even less creative. Like…severely less creative.
      But his “Say Something” will definitely chart beyond repair tonight so whatever.

• OhMy says:

3 awful selections (awful songs, awful connection with the contestants):

Alex Preston
        The Neighbourhood’s “Sweater Weather”

Caleb Johnson
        Whitesnake’s “Still of the Night”
        Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” (worst selection of the night)

• Jase says:

And yet the judges will give him better feedback than Jessica. TRUST. Even though her singing is to his singing what The Little Mermaid’s voice is to Scuttle the annoying seagull.

3. How did they choose a Lana song for Jess, and not Jena? Preposterous. I can only hope Jena is holding on the Lana card for top 3 and finale. I mean, she has to do a repeat performance of Video Games at the very least.

• Stormy says:

I wonder if jess will use the echo chamber effect the way Lana does.

• Ronnie says:

The pre-recorded I-Tunes version is a bit more uptempo and country than Lana’s original. I couldn’t hear any echo, the track sounded very straightforward. I worry this song will not work out for Jess. The song is best as an almost breathless lament. The lines stack and rise, and LDR is able to make them smooth and breathy, with her detached style. Jess’s crisp lines, without bringing it into the uptempo dance version of Cedric Gervaise, might not hit the right tone. It takes away from some of the longing so inherent in the song.

4. Kimbo says:

Sam was totally shafted with “Sing”.
    That song is hard to pull off. Not necessarily vocally…but it’s such a beat, rhythm, and fun oriented song. I can see Sam being stiff as a board singing it ever so well…while rapping….
    Oh Jesus

5. Alan says:

Whoever suggested “I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing” can have their Idoloonie badge revoked.

6. leah says:

That Ed Sheeran song is really new; I doubt Sam has heard it much, plus it is rythmically much different than the other Ed tunes Sam has tackled. Not sure that will end well.

And I love that Christina Perri song, but Jessica singing it with her robot eyes lack of emotion, just no.

7. MAB says:

I love “Say Something” but Alex and Sierra killed it on XFactor. I think it is the song that won it for them. It is going to be hard to compete with theirs by himself. I am interested it what he is going to do with this.
    I’m not crazy with any of the choices for anyone.

• Mary says:

I loved it to by them but to be honest I am kind of sick of the song.

• Emma says:

Ya, it seems to be the new Hallelujah of these singing shows.

• Charles says:

Agree with Mary and Emma on this one. I already know exactly what this is going to sound like and how it’ll be presented. It’s a good song but it’s been so done to death on these shows already. I was hoping Alex would surprise us but it looks like he’s just playing it safe. *yawn*

• nancy says:

it would be awesome if he had a girl/woman sing with him like when phillip phillips sang volcano that was beautiful my opinion

• MAB says:

I was thinking the same thing but I listened to the recording and he is singing solo, well, but solo. I just feel it has become an overdone song so it will be nothing special. Everyone who did it did it very well including Spencer.

8. Maria says:

Caleb definitely has a similar sound to David Coverdale, so hearing him sing a Whitesnake song should be a lot of fun.

9. danin says:

I’m looking forward to Jena singing Valerie. In fact I thought she did an AW song way way back..Maybe I’m wrong and for sure I’ve always wanted her to do one of Amy’s songs. I love Caleb but dang those song choices or at least the Aerosmith song is tired. Yes, my first thought for Alex taking on Say Something is he’ll nail it. I am unfamiliar w/all the other songs at least by name.

10. LDC says:

The Fray’s “How to Save a Life” is a poignant, emotional, affecting song…and I’m already dreading Sam’s blank, expressionless face as he sings it.

• Adam Fachry says:

I haven’t been a fan of him, but of all the songs in the world, I have a feelibg this would be one of those that works the best for him. Given his baggage.

11. Mary says:

Some interesting choices but why Caleb did you pick a Aerosmith song but happy with Whitesnake. Don’t know my body so I won’t have anything to compare it to. Alex and Sam are predictable dull songs. Jessica could go either way but she has to make sure to show emotions or she will be gone this week. All of them have to be 100% or they will go.
    I have a feeling only a few have a solid fan base that will vote no matter what.

12. BrookeWhite's#1Fan says:

I know I am in the vocal minority here, but I love Jessica, and i can’t wait to hear what she does with “Summertime Sadness” by another one of my favorites. If they’re half as musically solid as I predict they will be, I will be enjoying both of Jessica’s performances and buying any one that they make available!

13. Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the simplest thing
    to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while
    people consider worries that they just do not
    know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top
    and defined out the whole thing without having side effect ,
    people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.
    Thanks

14. Magali says:

I look forward to most of these choices. 2 big problems: I love Caleb but I don’t want to Miss a Thing should be banned from all signing competition. Enough! Also Sam doing Sing by Ed Sheeran: the rhythm, the rapping… I predict a train wreck.

15. Sharil Brown says:

Well heck I am going to be different. I love Caleb’s choices and I am so glad he is doing an Aerosmith song because there is something in the tone of his voice that reminds me of Steven.

• Mark says:

I love Caleb doing Aerosmith also, but just not that one. “Back In The Saddle”, “Same Old Song And Dance”, “Sweet Emotion”, “Train Kept Rolling”–anything but the one he chose.

• Stormy says:

ITA. I’d rather hear him do “Crying” or “What It Takes”. Heck, even “Falling In Love Is Hard On The Knees” would be better than IDWMAT.

• The Orginal Lemon says:

He’s doing that Aerosmith song because a lot of people requested it. It is, after all, audience request week.

• Charles says:

I like the idea of him doing Aerosmith too but this song is so played out and awful there’s no way I’m gonna enjoy it.

16. whatdoiknow says:

I would like to applaud Jessica for staying true to herself with these selections. At least if she gets booted this week, she will have gone out on her own terms.

“Sometime Sadness” – not a classic multi-generational song with a strong emotional hook in the chorus that might get her the casual viewer vote. It is a song true to who she is as an artist.

“Human” – an answer to the bussing she has been getting by the judges along with the personel attacks from her critics by expressing their side from her perspective and the emotional toll it is taking on her.

17. Matt says:

Valerie is a Zutons song, covered badly by Amy Winehouse, please can we give credit where it is due.

18. Siera says:

Sam haters shut up until you see it! Too much for people who believe themeselves as perfect! Too much for underestimating Sam! Getta life people!

19. Yo says:

You two were hilarious this sweet. I particularly liked the JLo impressions, because you are so dead on. And thank you for being annoyed for Jessica. I even trudged over to the computer and voted for her after Jolene to insure her presence: even so she barely got to stay, so I’m guessing she is gone this week, dammit. The comments by the judges are out of line unless they distribute them better. And yes, get the camera off of JLo.

• Idolhead Ed says:

I don’t think Jess will go. 1. Those are two good songs for her voice. Whether she sings them like she means it is another thing. 2. She is the only Alabaman left. All those votes should pour her way.I think Sam will be in for a rough night.

• Charles says:

I hope you are right. I love Jessica’s voice and she will be sorely missed if she goes. I think we can afford to lose either Alex or Sam – similar coffee house styles – at this point. Whoever does best tonight should stay and the other should go.

20. Emma says:

I’m disappointed, but only because I was stupid enough to believe a Haley fan account on twitter that was spreading the false rumour that Jena was going to sing “Undone”. I should have known better than to think anyone would pick an unknown/unreleased song at this point in the competition. However I’ve never heard of either of the songs that she ended up picking, so…

• PJ says:

I follow all the main Haley accounts and saw no such thing. There was speculation and hope because many requested it and idol asked someone to make one of those videos you saw on the show asking for undone. I never thought the producers would allow it although it would have been a better choice than Valerie.

• Emma says:

You say “speculation”, I say “rumour”, toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe. Whatever dude, thanks for getting my hopes up for NOTHING!!!

21. Timmah says:

Wait, I’m seeing too many songs that were made popular in the last 5 years… Nigel would have never allowed this!

22. Leeanne says:

Some of the song choices are pretty atrocious. “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing?” Seriously Caleb? Alex will do great with “Say Something” but it’s such an obvious overdone song choice and Spencer already did it once this year for God’s sake! Jena’s choices are pretty solid, but I’m actually most looking forward to Sam and Jessica’s songs for some reason. They’re riskier!

23. Sara says:

Bummed that Caleb has “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing”. It’s a beautiful song and I think he’ll be able to make it his own but it is cliche at this point, and he’s done such great things, I’m scared this could be a downfall. I dunno. Pumped for Jessica’s songs. “Human” is a gorgeous song and I think she’s got the perfect voice for “Summertime Sadness”. Jena doing “Valerie” should be pretty great, but would have preferred something different.

24. :( says:

Should be interesting this week. Jessica is the only one left from Alabama, and picked good songs. She is the only country singer left too. I have a feeling she will go to the top 3 because of this, and if the judges bus her on one song and give her praise on the other, I would not count her out.

25. Lynn says:

I’m not even a Jess fan and I think she and Jena will take the night. I’m predicting that Caleb and Alex end up bottom 2, with Caleb going home, surprise elimination. Boring overdone song choices = bye-bye.

26. Adam Fachry says:

At first I was like, did Slezak gett the Jena’s and Jess’ respective choices all mixed up? Because I thought Jena was ready to cover some Lana Del Rey at this point. But if it’s Jess, then I’d applaud this girl for taking the most risk. I would never associate those songs with her, so hers are the ones I look forward to the most.

27. Matt says:

It’s horrible to say but I just see poor Sam not being able to handle “Sing”…looks like his time has come. And the forced songs thrown in there by the producers of the show are pathetic, how many more times do we have to hear “Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing?” Just by song choice alone I see those two in the bottom with Sam (hopefully) going home.

28. Jerry Krause says:

DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!!! Not only is he this year’s American Idol, but Caleb Johnson is the next huge thing to the music world. Do not fall behind, be up front and ahead of everyone to know that. I am telling you this because there is no way around it. I belong to a Think Tank and the only question we have is will American Idol truly be prepared and ready to handle with matching electricity Caleb winning. Watch, bring your family and friends, and their friends, watch this unfold on American Idol. It is going to be huge! Of course, it goes without saying everyone is also curious what Jennifer Lopez is going to do when Caleb wins (Smiling).