Exclusive

Exclusive: Jericho Alum Kenneth Mitchell Joins ABC's Astronaut Wives Club as Series Regular

Kenneth MitchellJericho grad Kenneth Mitchell has boarded ABC’s upcoming period drama The Astronaut Wives Club, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Penned by Gossip Girl‘s Stephanie Savage, the series follows a group of women who support their star-bound husbands during the 1960s space race.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2014: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring in Them

Mitchell will play Wisconsin farm boy and WWII flyer Deke Slayton, one of the original Mercury Seven astronauts. When a medical condition prevents him from going into space, he becomes a powerful voice in the space program.

ABC recently decided to hold the period drama — originally scheduled to bow this July – until midway through the 2014-2015 season to give Savage and fellow EP Josh Schwartz time to expand the premise. (The action originally centered on the wives of the Mercury astronauts; it will now more closely follow Lily Koppel’s 2013 bestseller and chronicle the lives of the Gemini and Apollo mission crews’ spouses, as well.)

Mitchell, who’s currently recurring on ABC Family’s Switched at Birth, joins a cast that includes JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Once Upon a Time), Odette Annable (House) and Desmond Harrington (Dexter).

1. Wouter says:

He had a guest stint on Switched at Birth and he was horrible on that show. Was that just the role or is he usually a better actor? Because that was genuinely one of the worst acting experiences i’ve ever seen.

Still looking forward to this show though.

• Debbie says:

I’m sure others will disagree but I’ve never liked him in anything I’ve seen him in.

• Regina says:

I just think his storyline on SAB was one of the worst things ever written. Really, Regina can’t just be successful at something without having a boss who’s apparently a racist jerk that doesn’t want her to spend time with her family? That bothered me so much.

• Diz says:

I loved Jericho & he was a weak link. His character was atrocious in sab.

• Alex says:

He’s a great actor. Often plays very unlikable characters- not to be confused with his abilities. In fact, if you don’t like it, he is often doing his job. Although, at times the writing is bad and there is a limit to what someone can do. He was amazing in Jericho and Miracle. I’m sure he will make a wicked good astronaut.

2. Ron says:

This article reminded me how pissed I still am that Jericho ended when it did. More peanuts, guys?

3. rockie says:

I loved Jericho and when it ended I was truely shocked but I think the atronauts wives club is kind of a weird title it sounds like a reality tv show! It doesn’t catch my interest at all. I really don’t think its gonna last if it does great! I won’t be watching it!

4. Alex says:

Kenneth is a great actor and will elevate this new project. His character on Switched at Birth is supposed to be unlikable so I think you’re mistaking that with his acting. I think he is doing a solid job on that show. The writing is so-so but Kenneth always brings something interesting to the screen. Go Miracle!

5. Debbie says:

I love Ken in Charms for the Easy Life and his heart warming commercial in Zillow.
    A great actor!

6. James says:

Yay Kenneth!!!! He is amazing!!!! Love the beard but will be happy to see him as a clean cut astronaut.