Nashville Boss Callie Khouri: Does Scarlett's 'Really Bad Episode' Spell Disaster for Rayna?

CLARE BOWEN, CONNIE BRITTONReason to “Yeehaw!” Number 1: Patient Nashville fans, your month-long wait for a fresh episode is nearly over.

Reason to “Yeehaw!” Number 2: TVLine has the skinny on Wednesday’s all-new installment (ABC, 10/9c), courtesy of creator/executive producer Callie Khouri.

Read on to find out if Scarlett’s flown the cuckoo’s nest, if her crisis will be Rayna’s downfall and if Layla and Will will be Newlyweds: The Next Generation.

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

TVLINE | Scarlett seems to be in a very bad place when we pick up with her again, and it’s not like we left her in a very good place to begin with.
She just — through a combination of pressure and whatever it was that Liam was giving her – had a really bad episode in front of a lot of people. It’s something you could probably look up on YouTube and find it with other artists. She, all along, has felt that there’s been this push/pull, wanting to perform and not wanting to perform at the same time. The crowds and the pressure make it more difficult for her.

TVLINE | Photos from the episode make it seem like she’s hospitalized. Does that happen?
They want her checked out so she does a very brief stay while they do all the tests and make sure that nothing is super wrong. The bigger problem that she has is her mother… We’ve heard a little bit about it from Deacon but more is revealed about the family that her mom and Deacon grew up in and how that affected her.CHARLES ESTEN

TVLINE | She had been drinking and taking some pills before her big breakdown on stage. Does she have a revelation that maybe she needs to stay away from that stuff, given her family history?
What she realizes — if she had any tendencies we would’ve seen them before now — so what she’s realizing is that what she did, the way she dealt with the pressure… was very much like her uncle. I don’t think she comes out of it thinking “Oh my god, I’m a drug addict” or anything like that, but she does really look at how she deals with stress and pressure, and works through some issues with her family.

TVLINE | There’s a lot of blame to be thrown around in the aftermath of Scarlett’s breakdown. Rayna is a very nurturing person, and yet Scarlett is one of her new label’s biggest investments. Can you tell me a little bit abut where Rayna’s head is at as this is all happening?
[Rayna]  has put in a lot of time and money already with Scarlett, and to have something like this happen, especially at the point where she’s needing everything to go really well… Anything taking away from the focus of [Rayna's new] record and the quality of it would be really detrimental, so she’s obviously acutely tuned into what’s going on with her, because it does affect her. But more than that, she’s known Scarlett since she was a little kid. She doesn’t want anything to happen to her, either.

RELATED | Nashville to Host First Lady Michelle Obama

TVLINE | What kind of challenges are Avery and Juliette going to face as a couple as we head toward the end of the season?
Scarlett is going to lean heavily on the people she can trust, and Avery is still one of those people. It’s really stressful for Juliette to watch him in the same way that it’s stressful for Luke to see the connection [between Deacon and Rayna].

TVLINE | Also in Wednesday’s episode, Layla wants Will to agree to have a reality-show film crew follow them around. I’m assuming he doesn’t think that’s the best idea.
Right. However, like a lot of decisions he makes, he doesn’t often make the right one. I don’t want to give anything away, but he allows himself to entertain that notion very seriously.

1. sarah says:

I am looking forward to how the season plays out!
    I really hope Luke decides to come out of the closet before the wedding!
    In the long run he will be much happier being who he truly is AND signing to Rayna’s label.

• Whatevah says:

Do you mean Will? They got married at the end of the last “real” episode. Unless you really did mean Luke then your post is kind of funny.

• C says:

Are you talking about Will? Because he and Layla already got married. And yes, he needs to come out and make out with Brent already (where is Brent?!?!).

• JJ says:

I think you meant Will, though I wouldn’t mind if Luke came out of the closet. I can’t stand him with Rayna. Watching them together is about as exciting as watching my plants slowly wilt. He should be stressed about Deacon and Rayna unlike Juliette who shouldn’t worry about Scarlett and Avery.

• holybison says:

Like Sara, I sometimes accidentally call Will “Luke” because of the actor’s OC days.

2. Anna says:

Aren’t they married already?

• Anna says:

I meant to reply to the above post…
      Anyway, I’m excited for the rest of the season as well. Hope the finale is better than last year’s though…

3. Claire says:

Please make Luke go away…please. It’s not because I want Rayna with Deacon….his chemistry with Rayna just bores the **** out of me. It’s so frustrating to watch. This isn’t a triangle, this is just really bad tv.

• Boiler says:

I sort of wish Kim had asked about that. But I thought I saw that the actor playing Luke is a regular if there is a next season so guess he isn’t going anywhere

• It’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but Khouri addressed Luke/Rayna in last week’s Ask Ausiello: http://tvline.com/2014/04/23/24-live-another-day-kim-bauer-returning-elisha-cuthbert-spoilers/KR

• JJ says:

Yeah, I really don’t understand the purpose of Luke, it’s like Teddy 2.0, but without the marriage/kids/history so it’s even more boring. I saw somewhere that Luke was supposed to be a 5 or 6 episode arc originally, but they kept Will Chase around because they like him as a person. I think 5 or 6 episodes of him like on Smash would have been about my threshold. Now I just actively can’t stand his character.

• Claire says:

If she sticks with Luke and we actually have to see them as a couple for yet another season I’m going to leave this sinking ship. This is not one of those ridiculous threats by an annoyed viewer…I’m just tired of it, despite the fabulous cast (looking at you Connie, Chip and Hayden).

• JJ says:

I’m with you Claire. I see no reason to continue to stick with something I’m getting nothing out of. I’m a TV writer and I know lazy writing when I see it. Hopefully they won’t go that way though.

• MA says:

Amen to that. Luke is a waste of space on a show that already has too many characters.

4. Diz says:

Scarlett is the worst. I hope for a permanent OD.

5. Drew says:

Will’s denial is going to end up hurting a lot of people. He needs to deal with that and start being honest with himself and those close to him. How he chooses to live his life after that could be an interesting story. Just because he is into dudes doesn’t mean that he couldn’t choose something else, but he has to be honest with himself or he will never have any peace in his life and he will just keep hurting people.

6. steven says:

Can we have more storylines for the kids?

7. Whatevah says:

I’m so sick of Scarlett…Why is every episode about her? Booo hooo my friends are having fun w/o me. Boo hoo I want to break up w/ you but will you produce my record? Booo hoo I want to break up w/ you and how dare you date someone else? Boo hooo my mom was mean to me but I want to sing, no wait no I don’t, no wait yes I do, no wait..She is the worst character on this show. It’s a shame I loved her in season 1. But this season? Not so much.

8. DramaMomma says:

I agree that Rayna and Deacon have great chemistry but frankly I don’t want them together. We have for the most part seen them in present time save for an occasional flashback. I know that Teddy and Luke aren’t popular picks for Rayna (they aren’t my pick for her either). But if you listen them talk about old, drunk Deacon he was mean, unreliable, jerk to Rayna. I can see why it pains them to see her get pulled back to him. They watched Deacon hurt Rayna over and over again.

• Jill says:

I don’t know, maybe I’m a sucker, but I think the fun is in watching them work through their issues and come out stronger on the other side. I’m not saying Rayna and Deacon should just jump back into each other’s arms and be happy right away, but I like seeing the journey of them getting there together.

• Jess says:

I completely agree! Sure, Rayna and Deacon have a past where they both made mistakes and disappointed each other, but we’ve been given every reason to believe that the flip side is something really deep, loving and wonderful. Now that all the cards are out on the table, I think this is their chance to try and make it work. That is the story I want to watch, not Rayna’s relationship with Luke, which is honestly less interesting than watching paint dry. If a love triangle setup is what they’re attempting, they are failing miserably, and continuing to force Luke as this great guy for Rayna on the audience is making it even worse. If they really want to keep the actor around they need to find a new purpose for him.

• MA says:

I also completely agree. What’s so remarkable is that they should have walked away from each other more than a decade ago. The fact that they’ve stuck together through as much as they have and are so fully committed to each other whether they’re in a romantic relationship or not is compelling. Watching them stumble and succeed and stumble again toward patching up their relationship is great drama. Luke and Rayna, on the other hand, is painfully boring. I can get behind a love triangle, but dang. It should be interesting at least.

• Claire says:

I agree with you…I’d rather see them struggle and succeed to some degree instead of her taking the easy road. That’s also completely OOC for her.

9. Miranda says:

This is what happens when Liam McGuiness takes his sweet lovin’ away.
    Just sayin.

10. Laurel Parker says:

Could someone please help Scarlett with her southern accent? I know she’s Australian so a Mississippi accent might be a stretch, but I need to put on the closed caption when she has a monologue. Sounds a lot like Sissy Spacek playing Loretta Lynn in coal miners daughter. Deacon and her momma need to get her some diction lessons. If she could only sing all her lines….