A&E, Lost Boss to Adapt The Returned

A&E The Returned AdaptationA&E has given a green light to an adaptation of the French TV series Les Revenants aka The Returned, to be penned by Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) and Raelle Tucker (True Blood).

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Been Cancelled?

Based on the aforementioned series — which itself was inspired by the 2004 feature film Les Revenants (aka They Came Back) — The Returned focuses on a small town that is turned upside down when several locals who have been long presumed dead suddenly reappear, bringing with them both positive and detrimental consequences.

As families are reunited, the lives of those who were left behind are challenged on a physical and emotional level. Interpersonal relationships are examined with intrigue and depth as strange phenomena begin to occur.

RELATED | A&E Sets Premiere Date for Longmire Season 3, Renews Bates Motel

I know. Some of you are confused. Sundance has been airing the subtitled The Returned here Stateside, while ABC’s similarly themed freshman drama Resurrection is based on the unrelated novel The Returned.

A&E has ordered 10 episodes straight to series, with Cuse set to write the pilot and exec-produce alongside Tucker.

1. Jus says:

oh my goodness, really!? This is totally unnecessary!
    French version is so unique in every single way. Plus, there is only one Celine Sallette!

• Abbie says:

Be careful. The last time I complained on this site that a remake was unnecessary I had people jumping down my throat and saying I was a snob and closed-minded. Apparently the attitude is if something is worth making….it’s worth making twice even if it hasn’t been a year since the original aired. *rolls eyes*

• Ana says:

The original aired in France. Yes, it’s now airing on Sundance and it’s on Netflix but it is in French. Not everyone likes watching subtitles. And yes, it’s close minded to whine about a remake when no one’s even forcing you to watch it.

• Dav says:

Well I think it’s close minded that people refuse to watch a show because it has subtitles. Just sayin’…

• Ana says:

Not really. If you’ve spoken english your entire life and haven’t really been exposed to french, it’s a bit jarring to pay attention to a show while at the same time reading subtitles. Complaining about a remake on the other hand is just pointless because if you don’t care for it, you don’t have to pay attention to it. Just sayin’…

• idaslaptya says:

I had reservations about watching it with subtitles as well, but they use simple apeech with short sentences, so it’s really easy to follow. You should give it a chance! :)

• fat richard says:

if no one is forcing us to watch this, who is that man that sleeps on my couch with a shot gun?

• Pearl says:

I have news for you… Almost the entire world spoken another language for their entire life and read the subtitles in the american movies, so… I’m sure American people can survive it!

• Ana says:

Well that’s their problem. They are the ones who want to watch American movies with subtitles. If the owners of the original sell the rights for the remake, what the hell are people complaining about?

2. Mark says:

Sounds very 4400 in that description to me….

3. Justin says:

So in other words, ABCs Resurrection.

4. Luke says:

So now Cuse has Bates Motel, The Strain, AND this?! Hope he’s not spreading himself too thin.

5. K says:

This is a bad move. I don’t mind English adaptations of foreign properties. But when there is already a show with the EXACT premise currently airing (and doing quite well) then it just makes A&E look bad.

6. n8ball78 says:

I loved the French version and I hope this does it justice. I have no issues with them attempting at it as long as its good and on par with the original. I never understand why so many people have problems with remakes, sequels, and reboots. If they don’t like them I doubt anyone is forcing them to watch.

The only people who will bring up Resurrection are the ones who haven’t seen The Returned. I’ve seen both and enjoyed both of them and can definitely see myself watching them again.

• johnhelvete says:

All someone has to do is watch the British trailer for Les Revenants and they will quickly realized that Les Revenants and Resurrection have almost nothing in common accept for the premise of dead people coming back.

7. Brooke says:

I don’t think this was the smartest move. Setting aside the constant females of foreign shows, the fact the French version is already airing here AND there is already a CBS show that everyone mistakenly thought was a remake of the French version, isn’t this just flooding the airwaves in a really confusing manner?

I’m just eagerly waiting for the French version season 2, the first season was amazing and creepy.

8. Babybop says:

This sounds exactly like Resurrection. How is it different?

• johnhelvete says:

Type in The Returned Channel 4 on youtube. Watch the 1 minute trailer that is on the top that was added 11 months ago, it gives viewers a pretty good idea the feel of the series.
      The two shows almost have nothing in common except for the premise of dead people returning.

9. Et al. says:

Hopefully this will be better than Rezzzzzzzurrection. The French original is fantastic.

10. MattArmando says:

Completely IRRELEVANT.

11. dj says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the French version. I’m very excited about this!

12. dj says:

You can watch the French version on Netflix. Well worth it.

13. Diz says:

Nothing will be as good as the 4400 so they shouldn’t even try.

14. Sia says:

I’M SO CONFUSEDDDD!!!!

15. regina says:

Les Revenants is an amazing series and I highly recommend as others here have that you get your butt over to Netflix and watch it. It is called ‘The Returned’ and it is in subtitles but the acting will make your forget about all that. It’s a fascinating story. People who like their horror fast and bloody won’t like it at all. There will be lots of complaints that it moves too slow and where’s the blood? However, if you enjoy psychological thrillers and the kind of horror that creeps in on you, making you shift uncomfortably in your chair, getting creepier and creepier over time.. then this is the show for you. It’s unfortunate there have been so many series in a similar vein recently, but I would place this one at the top of the list (and I loved the 4400 as well, but Les Revenants is a totally different thing). It is extremely well done. Can’t wait for season 2 to see where the heck it is going.

• regina says:

The more I think about a remake of Les Revenants, the more I’m turned off by it. If they Hollywood=ize it, then here cue the axes, blood and guts. Not too many directors in Hollywood seem capable of producing something truly frightening without all that stuff. If someone can capture the creeping intensity and major discomfort of the original, more power to them, but I’m have my doubts. Some originals are very hard to match and this is one of them. I think the timing is off too. Too many similar series/projects out there.

16. Justin says:

In today’s media landscape with everything available online, I don’t understand the point of this. Just watch the French version. It’s excellent. Also, I thought Resurrection on ABC was based on The Returned? Am I wrong? Do we need two American adaptations of the same show?

• MoreTears says:

No, Resurrection is based on the book The Returned by Jason Mott. It has nothing to do with the French TV series. And if anybody is wondering, Mott wrote his book before the TV series aired in France.

17. Sammy says:

I’m sorry but if you are too stupid/lazy to read subtitles, you don’t deserve to watch The Returned!

18. WylieCoyote says:

Even though I love Cuse’s Bates Motel, this is a bad idea. Just as them bringing Broadchurch to the States, using one of its leads, and changing its name (which I predict they will do for the American Returned). They tried this with The Killing, when the Danes did it better. Happy that it’s not another reality show, though.