Ratings: Game of Thrones Commands All-Time High; John Oliver Show Off to Good Start

Game of Thrones RatingsThis Sunday’s episode of HBO’s Game of Thrones — in which Joffrey’s murderers were revealed — drew 6.9 million total viewers with its 9 o’clock airing, a series high for the fantastical saga.

Factoring in two replays, the drama amassed 8.4 million viewers for the night. (Read Kim Roots’ recap.)

RELATED | Sunday Broadcast Ratings: Once and Amazing Race Rise, Revenge and Simpsons Hits Lows

Leading out of Thrones, Silicon Valley retained 1.6 mil, followed by Veep‘s 922K.

Capping HBO’s night, the premiere of Last Week Tonight With John Oliver did 1.1 mil, improving on the time period average by 51 percent and on par with what similar newsers (Daily Show’s 1.5 mil, Bill Maher’s 1.4 mil) tend to draw. With replays, Last Week Tonight amassed 1.4 mil.

1. Much deserved, this season has been outstanding

2. katrina says:

Love me some GOT!!! Best show on tv!!!!

3. tv2day says:

10 episodes is not enough. They just added three new threads yesterday. At this rate this show will go for a decade lol!

4. HAP says:

I believe that John Oliver’s new show did suprisingly well given its 11pm Sunday time slot.

5. Forwardad says:

Mad Men in yet?

6. Scott says:

I always wondered why there is such interest in the retention figures from one show to another. Whatever the reason a drop from 6.9 to 1.6 seems pretty horrendous, although I imagine GoT and Silicon might not have much audience in common.

7. Angela says:

So good to hear that about John Oliver’s show! I certainly liked it-I particularly appreciate the way he covered some stories that aren’t getting much discussion in the news (the NFL story and the thing with the drink lawsuit were particularly interesting). I’m looking forward to seeing how his show will continue to shape itself as time goes on :).

• Maggie says:

I liked that he talked about the big election in India. I haven’t seen any real news shows cover that story.

John Oliver was very funny, while being informative at the same time. I hope he has a long run doing this show.

• Angela says:

I liked that, too, that whole segment was great (the clip of the guy insisting he didn’t take the money over and over again was hysterical and so bizarre). It’d be cool if his show had more of that, going with an international bent to the stories he covered. There’s tons of other weird and/or important stuff going on in the world that isn’t getting much discussion.

• Agreed, Angela! I laughed out LOUD at the “Idiots in Oregon” song. :)

8. You dating take the subject line, that is running in his mind.
    But his ending the marriage can hit a very painful phase, particularly as the
    reality of the divorce dating can often leave a parent
    distant and moody. Trust your guts- Move on annd find another date, if you feel that this could cause conflict for you, not for her.
    Read dating between the lines: What can you doo right now to help you move on with your life.

9. DavidSask says:

I don’t get how shows that have less than million viewers like Veep are successes?

• Jillian says:

Numbers aren’t everything. Veep is an incredible comedy with an amazing ensemble. I’d rather watch an intelligent, critically acclaimed show with less than stellar numbers that one with over 15 million viewers that isn’t as well produced.

10. DavidSask says:

The final season of Californication is so bad, it should have ended last year!!!

11. If you tell a guy friend dating 0ver 60s he either tries to take advantage
    of the commitment-phobeexcuses. As you start dating your dating 0ver 60s ex boyfriend can be a tricky situation.
    He wants and she is given the right to do things foor
    her and for her loved ones, she grows, making her a happy and stronger link, fklled with exciting and confidence.