Masters of Sex Casts Sarah Silverman

SSilverman_300Sarah Silverman is getting in bed with Showtime’s Masters of Sex.

The comedienne will be part of the period drama’s second season, the cabler announced Monday.

RELATED | TVLine Items: Keke Palmer Joins Masters of Sex

Silverman will recur as Helen, the former lover of Annaleigh Ashford’s Betty. As Ask Ausiello previously dished, Helen is a palm reader who really believes she’s psychic. She’s also a closeted lesbian who is still in love with Betty — who, you’ll remember, was planning to wed Greg Grunberg’s Gene. From what we hear, Betty is likely the brassy blonde’s soul mate.

Silverman is an Emmy winner (for Jimmy Kimmel Live!‘s “I’m F–king Matt Damon” bit) who starred in Comedy Central’s The Sarah Silverman Program and has had stints on Saturday Night LiveEntourageMonk and Louie, among other series.

Sex‘s second season will premiere on Sunday, July 13, at 10 pm ET/PT.

1. tv2day says:

What a snoozefest of a show. I tried.

• Evan says:

I completely agree, I only originally started watching because all of the critics were raving calling it the best new show in years!!! Unfortunately the show is just plain boring…. yes it’s well acted but if you take away all the nudity and sex there just isn’t much there!!! Wont be back for season 2

• Temperance says:

Totally brilliant show – vastly better than the overrated Mad Men! I’m so excited Masters will be back. Great show!

2. heath says:

Not looking forward to this

3. Found I had to force myself to watch the last few eps of season one, just for the sense of completion. I’m done. No season 2 for me.

4. lana says:

annoying, awful, a talking laxative that just wont go off tv

5. JB says:

I love Sarah, but have to wonder if she was cast because she’s dating Michael Sheen.

• HAP says:

Check out her performance in Sarah Polley’s Take This Waltz, and you will see that she has the chops to do non-comedy roles.

• schu says:

Although I agree her role in Take This Waltz was well done, I really only believe so because she played an alcoholic version of herself. I’ve never understood her comedic “appeal”

6. Johnson_Fan_Girl says:

That’s is good news, the new season can’t start soon enough. Side bar: Everyone out there that *does not like a show* but reads news and comments on it, you need to find better thing to do with your life.

7. Tom says:

No nudity clause, I would image. Still, hope it caters to her comedic side.

• Gus T.T. Showbiz says:

She did a nude scene, full frontal, in Take This Waltz so I wouldn’t assume anything about her role.

8. Leah says:

This show is fantastic but I called Silverman’s casting back when I heard she and Michael Sheen were dating. Hopefully she brings her a-game!

9. Jersey Jeff says:

Watched first five episodes of season 1, then deleted the season pass. Zzzzzzzz.

10. Roni says:

This is awesome.

11. Divya99 says:

Great actress but a boring show. I don’t get the appeal. Is it the sex? The nudity? It certainly isn’t the storylines because they are lackluster.

• Temperance says:

And I’d say the whole thing is amazing. Perhaps people should try it themselves. Great cast, great writing, great acting.

12. Rook says:

Really surprised at all the comments saying the show is boring. I remember watching the first season and loving it. Yeah it had slow moments but every show does, I can’t wait for it to return and think Silverman will be a great addition!

• cjeffery7 says:

agreed. the only reason i can think of people finding it boring is because they can’t relate to the hyper-intellectual world that is depicted, and its not sensationalized to appeal to the masses (like Grey’s Anatomy or Scandal). the characters actually resemble real human beings who are sometimes boring. and of course its a real story, so double cool & interesting. its historical fiction!

• Temperance says:

AKA – it has a brain. It’s so not what certain conservative elements of our society can tolerate due to their training.

13. Paul says:

This was the best show of the fall last year.

14. iammusic says:

I love this show, but I cannot stand Sarah Silverman. Majorly bummed, will try to not let her ruin it for me.