Disney Channel's Teen Beach Movie to Get Sequel

Teen Beach Movie 2We’re going back to the beach, kids!

Disney Channel has begun production on a sequel to its wildly popular TV flick Teen Beach Movie.

The news was announced Saturday before the cable channel’s Radio Disney Music Awards.

RELATEDAustin & Ally Renewed for Season 4

Original cast members Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally), Maia Mitchell (The Fosters), Grace Phipps, Garrett Clayton and John DeLuca will return for Part 2, which picks up months after surfing sweethearts Brady and McKenzie return from a summer adventure that transported them into Brady’s favorite 1960s beach-party movie, Wet Side Story.

As we saw in a post-credits scene at the end of the original movie, the couple’s retro pals Lela, Tanner, Butchy then washed up in the real world. The sequel takes off from there.

The first TBM, which debuted in July 2013, nabbed 8.4 million total viewers, making it the cabler’s most watched original movie in more than four years.

RELATEDGirl Meets World: The Matthews Family Rallies Together in First Poster

Teen Beach Movie 2 will be written by Robert Horn (Teen Beach Movie), Dan Berendsen (Baby Daddy), and Matt and Billy Eddy (Zapped). Michelle Manning (The Breakfast Club) and David Buelow (Teen Beach Movie) will executive-produce, with the original film’s director and choreographer Jeffrey Hornaday (A Chorus Line) directing.

In an exclusive statement to TVLine, Matt Mitovich’s twin sons — who just this week completed their third viewing of Teen Beach Movie — said of the sequel news, “Cool!” and “Cool!”

1. leigh says:

Oh boy. My girls will be so happy.

2. Ditzy-D says:

My seven year old daughter is over the moon with this news.

3. Evan says:

I must admit…I am a college-aged male and I only watched the beginning of this movie because my sister had Disney Channel on and I refused to get off the couch, but after a while, I got sucked in. It was a very tongue-in-cheek approach to the musicals of the 50s and 60s, and the music was pretty good. It is definitely the best movie to come out of Disney Channel in a long time.

4. Riana says:

I can’t wait to see how things go in the real world

5. Rebecca says:

M daughter and I are happy about this!!!

6. Adam says:

I just got the songs from the first movie out of my head, sigh…..

Lol

7. Hello Yellow says:

I was ashamed to admit how much I love this movie. I went to a kids birthday party and was surprised to see the kids parents and grandparents were singing and dancing along to the songs. I love this movie it reminds me of the old time beach musicals of days of old. I cant wait to see the sequel. It truly has been one of the best movies the disney channel has done in a long time.

8. tara17 says:

The movie was fun and wholesome entertainment and an homage to 60s beach movies, while keeping it fresh. Bring on a sequel!

9. my best friend’s mother makes $71 an hour on the computer . She has been without a job for six months but last month her pay check was $13147 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit this site right here…………..
    W­­W­­W­.J­­O­B­S­3­3­3­­.­C­O­­M

10. John NYC says:

The High School Musical series was lighthearted fun and this one, adding surfing, is a step up from them. IMHO.

11. Kudos. Wertvolle Informatiοn.

12. nate says:

so we get this (even tho ive never seen it) BUT NOT A LEMONADE MOUTH SEQUEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. carrie0305 says:

My 9 year old will be happy to hear this! She loved the first one, that she watched lots of times.

14. Liz says:

Oh that’s awesome!! I’m 27 and shamelessly loved this movie and have seen it several times

15. Lover girl says:

I am so flipping exited that a sequel is coming out!! I’ve watched the first one like 6 times!!!

16. Jessica Watts says:

when is teen beach movie too supposed to air I would like to date and a time