Once Upon a Time: 5 Big Questions Get Answers

Once Upon a Time Henry Memory BackThis Sunday on Once Upon a Time, several burning questions about Season 3B’s Wicked Witch arc were answered. How many of the mysteries had you correctly solved?

RELATED | May Sweeps Spoilers on Once Upon a Time and Other Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

HOW CAN THE WICKED WITCH BE DEFEATED?
In the Fairy Tale Land of the Past Year, Rumplestiltskin — imprisoned in his own castle by Zelena — sends Regina and the Charmings to seek out Glinda the Good Witch. After one hilarious sequence in which Regina with her vengeful heart isn’t able to pass through a magical door, the Charmings learn that only light magic can defeat Glinda’s onetime friend Zelena, by robbing her of her powerful pendant. Meaning: Emma! Alas, the Savior’s not with them there in TEF. Hmmm.

WHO CAST THE NEW CURSE?
The Charmings think to cast the Dark Curse anew, to return to Emma’s realm, but Regina can’t help with that, having already sacrificed that which she loves most. So Snow casts the curse, and after a highly romantic goodbye to Charming, during which he says Snow will always see his love for her in their new child’s eyes, she crushes his plucked pumper. But just then, Zelena swoops in…

WHY DID EVERYONE LOSE THEIR MEMORY?
Laughing at the idea that Regina & Co. could cast the Dark Curse without her knowing — yet realizing it’s too late to stop it outright — Zelena decides to “spice it up” some by adding a forgetting spell. So even though they’ll return to Storybrooke, they won’t remember why, or how to defeat Zelena. (After Zelena flies off, Snow gets the idea to have Regina “split” her heart in two, giving half to revive Charming before the curse hits — and it works.)

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Scoop on Rumbelle’s Future, Meeting Dorothy

WILL HENRY EVER GET HIS MEMORY BACK?
Meanwhile in Storybrooke: Emma, Regina and the Charmings decide that to undo the new curse, Henry must believe again, and then Emma can give him True Love’s Kiss. Henry, though, is aiming to run away, and Hook — fearing for the lad’s safety, after being threatened by Zelena — is poised to have Smee sail the lad outta Dodge when a swarm of flying monkeys descends from the sky. Hook uses a pistol to fell a couple, then is joined in the fight by sword-wielding Charming, gun-toting Emma and fireball-lobbing Regina. Once the critters are vanquished, Henry is understandably “WTF?!?!?” Emma urges him to just believe, in magic, in her, as she hands him the storybook — and as his hands touch it, his memories flood back. When Emma  goes to smooch her son on his noggin, he vanishes, reappearing nearby in Zelena’s clutches. After KOing Regina, the Wicked WItch is set to choke the poor boy when Emma musters up her magic and scalds the sorceress’ hands, freeing Henry. When Regina comes to, she reunites with and kisses Henry, and that True Love’s Kiss undoes the curse upon the town, restoring everyone’s full memories. Which in turn raises a question….

WHO SENT HOOK THE NOTE TO FIND EMMA?
Emma is grilling Hook about his handling of the “cursed lips” sitch when the Charmings suggest the good captain has been keeping other secrets — namely, who really sent him the note to find Emma and get her back to Storybrooke, since it sure wasn’t them. Hook sticks to his story/assumption, while in flashback we see that Zelena whipped up two doses of the memory potion: one for her, and one which she gave to Rumple to do with as he pleases before the new curse hits. Before Rumple can sip it, Neal wrests himself out of his father’s body, scrawls a note on a piece of his shirt-sleeve and attaches it with the potion to a pigeon’s leg, then sends the bird to find Killian Jones on The Jolly Roger. (How Hook crossed realms, though, remains TBD in my book, since Regina reiterated that no portals exist anymore.)

ELSEWHERE….
* Regina and Robin Hood continued their mash session. (Um, it seemed to be the next morning. Did they….???) Later, as Regina reconnected with Henry after his memories returned, the kid declared it “awesome” that Mom is dating Robin Hood. JARED S. GILMORE(Semi-related Q: Hadn’t Henry already seen the storybook since returning to town, maybe while at the diner…? Why was it suddenly “missing”? Or am I having a stroke?) UPDATE: Not having a stroke. Though the scene was cut from episode, this photo from “the Tower” had been released:

* Aurora and Phillip had been turned into flying monkeys back in FTL. (Presumably, once Zelena is defeated, they — and Walsh — change back?)

* As the episode came to a close, Henry announces that Operation Cobra is back on, just as Snow goes into labor…

NOTABLE QUOTABLES
“What do you see in me?” “A second chance, and a quite good kisser.” “Just wait until  have my heart back.” Meow.

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say Haagen Dazs was smitten with your stomach.”

“Pay attention, sis. This is how you take away a happy ending.”

“Where you come from, people bathe in the river and use pine cones for money.”

That was a big, satisfying episode. Fun fight there with everyone by the docks, frisky Regina, “on edge” Emma, uberromantic Charmings…. What did you think of “A Curious Thing”?

1. Bianca says:

LOVED this entire episode. Seeing Regina genuinely smiling & happy is such a nice change. I’m really excited to see how this plays out. It’ll be interesting to see her with a whole family to fight for.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It was great to see her smiling, yes, and borderline giddy after necking with Robin Hood. And then telling Henry “who” her new boyfriend is.

• Louise says:

Henry’s “awesome!” was one of my favorites among the lighter moments in this episode. Very cute scene in general, including the Regina/Henry convo about pizza, apple trees in NYC and maths that lead up to this.

• Mike says:

sex tape, a must.

• Gerald says:

So my first reaction might be “What about Maid Marion?” I assume that is the mother of Robin’s child. Unless you knew she passed away I would think Regina is stealing Robin away from Marion.
        Side note: When the flying monkeys are shot and vaporize are they not dead? Could they have been killing Aurora, Phillip and the Wizard (Walsh)?

• Babybop says:

My thoughts exactly!

2. david says:

I loved the episode. Regina is my favorite character and the way the acting a improved is amazing. anyone else feel this way? hope they dont kill her off

• Lizabeth says:

I was telling someone after the episode last week that Regina has become my favorite to watch and root for. I am a big fan of the Regina/RH romance. It’s fun to watch her get a little love.

3. Me says:

Loved the dumbfounded expressions on both Snow and Emma’s faces when they found the book. Also Snow telling Charming that after true love there is no greater gift then that of good foot wear and that it must be protected.

4. steven says:

I think that next season should have a time-jump of a couple of years because Jared Gilmore will be 14 next month and Henry is 11-12, he pretty much hit puberty by now.

5. WTactualF says:

I loved this episode as well, but I’m confused. Does Regina have 3 True Loves?

6. Robert says:

I enjoyed the episode but I am looking forward to next week’s episode of Dorothy Gale and a better look at the city of Oz.

7. CK says:

I love how they’ve just resorted to taking out the flying monkeys after learning that they are people cursed by Zelena. I’m surprised that they haven’t tried to figure out some way to break that spell.

8. Kate says:

Regarding Henry and the book. There were promo pictures from “The Tower” of Regina presenting the book to Henry at Granny’s, and then Henry looking at it, but that scene wasn’t in the episode. So no, Matt, you aren’t having a stroke. :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yes, I knew it was “the Tower” and tried to rewatch that episode on Hulu while watching tonight’s episode. Mystery solved, photo added to story, thanks.

9. Louise says:

I think ABC released a bunch of stills for one of the previous episodes that had Henry getting the book back at Granny’s in a scene with Regina and Archie, apparently unaware that this moment had been cut from the ep. Other than that I don’t think we’ve seen Henry with the book before in 3B. Although now you make me want to go back and check.

10. Ana says:

Loved that Neal was the one to send Hook the message; the Snowing moments were beautiful and precious as was Regina’s reunion with Henry. So happy to see her open up her heart to love and be with both her true loves :)
    However, my Killian Jones heart took a hit tonight…a big one. I really thought Adam and Eddy would spend a few more moments on him and his curse; it felt very very hurried. And seeing the people he sacrificed his home for (when will we learn what happened to the Jolly Roger and how he crossed realms to get to Emma?) have so little faith in him after everything he’s done was heartbreaking. It’s getting rather painful seeing him treated like that when he’s proven himself over and over again…

11. Chris says:

I give this episode a 9.5. It was a very beautiful episode that definitely serviced the plot 110%, but it doesn’t get a perfect 10 from me cuz…you don’t turn on Hook like that Charmings. You don’t turn on Hook. That was harsh.

• paula says:

I felt the exact same way. In many ways an amazing episode but the whole Hook situation was just too heartbreaking for me. It was way too harsh after everything Killian Jones has not only done to help, but also after it’s been more than established that he’d lay down his life for Emma. I mean, what does the poor guy have to do to get a little appreciation?!!

• Chris says:

Seriously, the guy risked his life in Neverland to help them, and saved Charmings life, and whomever sent the message, he did bring Emma back to break the curse. Honestly everyone says sometimes The Charmings are idiots, and I’ve never agreed with that statement, until tonight.

• Leny1 says:

Charmings need to take a step back and think about what has happened all year and why and how. Also Hook said he ASSUMED they sent the note. But yes Hook is getting it from all angles.
          Yes Hook should of told them, but Hook couldnt in some ways

• abz says:

THIS! I understand Emma’s disappointment with him in that she should have been the one to decide what to do with Henry, but aside from that, they were really harsh on him. Completely ignoring how he’s been helping them these past few weeks and in Neverland and thought underneath a lot of his actions are good intentions. He brought Emma back, he’s taken care of Henry, he tried his best to avoid taking Emma’s magic away and to protect Henry (even if it wasn’t one of his best decisions to keep the curse secret; underneath it, he meant well).
      This is one of the aspects of the Charmings that I find makes them very unlikable. They’re so holier than thou sometimes, and often hold people to such high standards and ignore many other good things they do. Charming so easily forgot how Hook helped save his life in Neverland.

• Sina says:

I agree so much with this post. Thank you! They all turned on Hook and then the next scene just showed the Charmings, Emma and Henry at Neal’s grave…which was a necessary scene but what happened to Hook? After everything he’s done and working so incredibly hard for Emma and her family. Very painful treatment of a chracter that has become a favorite for me.

I’m not one to view things through “shipper” goggles and I think it’s important to enjoy the story as a whole on a show, especially on one that has such a huge cast and so many regulars. But I really thought Adam and Eddy would spend a little more time on Hook and the siuation Zelena put him in than they did. Simply because I thought it was an important overall plot point. But I was wrong…

• Angie says:

It was harsh, yes.. I also didn’t like their lack of appreciation, but I think they were worried that if she was close enough and able to cast one spell on him, she could have been able to manipulate him before as well, I think we’re forgetting that he left the Enchanted Forrest and everyone else behind, so no one saw or knew what he was up to. In the end it’s not his fault, and they’ll find out it wasn’t, I mean do those birds even use return addresses? Either way, I’m sure they’ll work something out for him, he’s been on his best behavior, hopefully next time he helps save their necks he’ll get a proper thanking. I’m just afraid that with the season ending the writers might mess with him in some permanent way, like Neal..

• ninergrl6 says:

I can’t imagine the writers eliminating 2 sides of a love triangle within a season, let alone within a few episodes. I’m hopeful for Hook.

12. Brett says:

Matt, Henry with the storybook and Regina and Archie in the diner was a deleted scene from “The Tower.” ABC released stills from it, that’s why you’re confused. I wonder why they changed course.

13. With several of the flying monkeys being “dusted,” I thought, “Could we have just lost Walsh, Aurora, and Prince Phillip?” But knowing the show, they were probably just wearing the Oz equivalent of a red shirt rather than true inhabitants of FTL.

• Louise says:

Or Little John. I did wonder about that too, but I’m hoping that Aurora and Phillip especially are still alive because shouldn’t they have been about to become parents in the Enchanted Land? From what I remember Aurora was pregnant when everyone arrived back from Storybrooke after Regina had undone her curse to save them from Pan’s.

• jerrired says:

Yeah that bothered me a lot, especially since I wasn’t sure if Aurora had her child yet. Turning them into monkeys was bad enough. Then possibly killing her while pregnant…I know there has to be a twist where everyone turns back into humans after Zelena is defeated but just the possibility made me uneasy.

• Andrew says:

I have assumed that any friends of the Charmings (or any of the main characters) are hiding in the woods – meaning that the monkeys that attacked Hook and Henry (or anyone else so far) are truly minions of Zelena. I mean, Phillip and Aurora seemed like they had free will to fly away, so I guess the same could be said for anybody else that was turned in Storybrooke (like Little John).

14. JoeB says:

I can’t wait for Marian to come back so this Robin Hood nonsense can end once and for all. The character is pointless and the actor is terrible

• Louise says:

You do realize that Maid Marian is dead on OUAT, right?

• Bianca says:

Difference of opinions. I quite like Sean Maguire and they have serious potential for his character. Also, Maid Marian is as of right now, dead. Just because she was spotted in an episode filming, doesn’t mean she’s for sure “coming back”. None of us know what will happen.

• e says:

i agree with you. i actually LOVE robin hood and regina together, and i think their chemistry is electric. they are such a believable pair, and that smile after their little make out session was something we have never seen from regina before, even when she was with daniel. even robin hood putting his arm around her while walking out with henry felt so natural. i would love those two to stay together without (much) incident, because i think regina can really benefit from that kind of love in her life.

on the other hand, and i prepare to be slammed for this, but i have never seen emma and hook with that kind of chemistry. not even an ounce of it, and seeing neal in the flashback bummed me out even more :( the history emma and neal have together was so rich and provided a perfect foundation for them to be together, but of course, henry had to lose his dad so the captain swan shippers could get their way (for nothing, since hook is the most dull character on this show).

• Christy says:

^ This! Yes! I thought I was the only person in the world who is not in love with Captain Swan. I don’t have anything against Colin, but I just don’t think that he and Emma/Jennifer have any chemistry. I would have much preferred for Neal to stay alive so that he and Emma could work out their relationship and truly be parents to Henry.

• Stormy says:

OK Personally I haven’t seen chemistry between Emma and anyone since Jefferson [Hatter] and Graham [sheriff].

• Katherine215 says:

Stormy, I totally agree! I liked her with Graham best, and even Jefferson was pretty good. I’ve resigned myself that neither of them are coming back, so I’m ok with her and Hook. I actually do like Hook, though I wish they gave him more to do than just moon over Emma. And I’m not sure I see an “epic” love story for them yet. I think the writers have tried to lay the groundwork for one, but I don’t think they’ve done a very good job of it yet.

• brenna says:

Agree with Stormy. Sheriff Skinnyjeans/the Huntsman and the Madhatter were the best!! Although I’m enjoying the others and the entire show.

• hatorl says:

Yes he has a lot of potential. I always liked Robin Hood so, I love to have the character in the show, and Sean is doing a great job. Robin and Regina have a great chemistry.
        In a show with so many flashback, I don’t get why everyone assumes that Marian will come back from the death to ruin things… meh! it’s like the conspiracy theories about Robin being evil.

• Gail says:

You assume Robin’s dead wife was Maid Marian but I don’t believe his wife on the show was ever named. She could be someone Robin has not met yet and when he does…. Regina goes back to being the Evil Queen.

• Louise says:

Robin’s wife was definitely Maid Marian. Christie Laing’s character is referred to as Marian in the press release for the “Lacey” episode and Robin Hood calls her by that name in their flashback scene in the very same episode too.

• abz says:

Lol unless OUAT plans on tackling Corpse Bride or something, that isn’t happening.

• Ann says:

Nothing against the actor, but I find Robin Hood quite bland and not a good match for Regina/Evil Queen.

• Stormy says:

Thank you. I find him incredibly pedestrian for a man who supposedly whipped the peasants into a revolt against Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham.

• Brandy says:

Marion dead.I agree with not liking the Robin character or the Regina/Robin romance though

15. Guess this was the flashback that Adam and Eddy teased about Michael Raymond-James returning for, and it’s likely what he was filming when he tweeted that door photo back in February. This episode was filming around the time that happened.

16. Leny1 says:

My heart breaks each episode for Hook, i guess the same for Hook, his heart is like on the line every week to be break bit by bit, And still he is standing by Emma’s side in whatever way he can!!!

17. Gil says:

The motto of each episode is break Hook’s heart and hope each episode it seems from the day he found Emma in New York, to seeing her admit she has a new man she loves etc, and then other things happening, and we saw in The Jolly Roger episode, he regressed in the loss of Emma, and he didnt and couldnt move on, and now the curse lips from Zelena who played a mind game which the guilt that haunted him. Each time someone taunts his love – Pan did it, and now Zelena. And now we have more heartbreak for the man who has crossed realms for the womans he loves and FINDS her.
    TEAM HOOK!!! Rooting still for him and Emma/Hook!

Snowing are the EPIC true love couple!

• ninergrl6 says:

I’m team Hook too. Disappointed in the way he was treated tonight. Didn’t seem in keeping with the way the other characters have trusted him & welcomed him into their “family” the rest of the season. I can only hope there are better days for Hook ahead.
      I thought more would come of the kiss curse. That was an awful lot of set up for it to be relatively insignificant, other than causing everyone to turn on Hook because he didn’t tell them about it. Wait, is the kiss curse still in effect? Regina kissing Henry undid the memory curse, but what about everything else?

18. david says:

I would love to see them going back to the enchanted forest for next season and take on some dangers there. I cant see a reason for them to stick around. then again i am not a writer and i feel that the writers have proved themselves cant wait to see the final 3 episodes and the cliffhanger for the finale.

19. Devin says:

This may be my favorite episode yet. It was loaded with answers and questions, and resolution. Exactly what each episode should be. Loved it! Thanks Matt again for an awesome recap. Looking forward to next weeks episode. I know it’s a head of the game, but any idea what next years season “A” will be based on? By the way, I love season A and B. It really breaks it up perfectly, and less breaks in between episodes. Pass that on please Matt!

20. jerrired says:

Overall I thought it was a pretty good episode. Some little things that could have been tweaked here and there, but what got me was the Charming death. Characters have been dying left and right this year on all shows, so no character feels safe. So I wasn’t confident he’d survive. I thought we were about to learn that, that Charming was a trick. But then the splitting of the heart thing was so sweet, especially considering Josh and Ginnifer’s newly wed status. And just a sweet reminder of them being the “heart’ of the show.

21. I loved this episode but Snow’s heart isn’t pure anymore, she killed Cora!

• Melanie says:

My thought as well.

• Lizabeth says:

I thought the same thing! I wondered if maybe I missed something in a previous episode. I did not expect Snow to get to go through the door. Also, I wondered about the impurity when Regina split Snow’s heart with Charming. Which one of them has the black spot on their heart now?

• Stormy says:

Speaking only for myself, enough with the pulling hearts out of people. They’ve done so much of it, it’s become cliche’.

• Terry says:

To be fair, she did try and stop it but she was too late.

• Ric Fule says:

Yeah. But she didn’t. And when Regina pulled out Snow’s heart during Snow’s attempted suicide, Regina was like, “Nope. No need to crush your heart. Look. You have a dark spot, It will hurt MORE to leave you alive.” {Or something to that effect.

And yes. I also thought Snow shouldn’t have been able to get through the “Pure-of-heart” doorway. Meh.

22. hatorl says:

GREAT episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Robin and Regina are so PERFECT! I love to see her smile like that :)
    and Henry approves ;)

The Charmings sharing a heart it’s so awwww!! I almost cried with that scene, and then Neal :(

23. Matt correct me if I’m wrong. Didn’t the writers broke one the laws of magic?. You can’t bring someone back from the dead. Dead is dead. They did this also in Wonderland with Anastasia. Oh, and also Rumple. What is the point of having the law if they keep breaking it when convenient to them. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy Charming is alive, but what’s the point?

Another one, I thought that Rumple/Neal when he was Rumple he remember, that is how he told them the witch was Zelena. and wasn’t it implied when he was saying good bye to Neal? Neal didn’t remember but Rumple did?

I love the episode, but it is a bit confusing.

• Lia says:

In Wonderland Anastasia came back because of the water from the almighty Well of Wonders. Rumple has his own thing because he’s the Dark One – the catch is that to bring him back, you need to give a life. I was also thinking WTF w/ the whole sharing a heart thing.

As for Rumple and Neal, I think both of them lost their memories, however since Zelena captured Rumple, she probably introduced herself to him again and that’s how he knew and Neal didn’t.

• PamR says:

Rumple knew Zalena before they returned to TEF. He was her teacher. He would know who she is without the past year’s memories.

24. AnotherMary says:

Remind me, if they have already covered this on the show, but how is it they knew (in SB) after figuring out Z was the WW that water wouldn’t kill her? I mean they knew the whole story of Wizard of Oz, right? Or no? Was SB so secluded they do not know of the story of Oz? I loved tonight’s show but I wish they didnt rush Regina & Robin’s romance. Was it me or did she stay with him overnight already? Or has a few weeks (or days, ha) passed so far? I think at least a few days, R wasnt wearing the red dress last week when she went to see/kiss him. I would have loved to see a situation where they fell in love in Fairyland and didnt like each other in SB then get their memories back. But I LOVED that it was Regina’s kiss to Henry that returned everyone’s memories. A good episode overall.

25. Sarah says:

In The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy is cared for Auntie Em and Uncle Henry. WHOA OUAT……W.H.O.A.
    I don’t even know what they will do with this (because the writers constantly amaze me with how they change it up)……I guess please don’t name that precious baby Dorothy.

26. soflirty84 says:

I noticed these plot holes in the episode too. Snow’s heart is not pure because she murdered someone. Rumple had his memories, but he didn’t drink the potion. How is that possible. Also, did the writers just create a get out of dead free card? They can bring back any character if their true love splits their heart for them? It was an interesting episode, but I don’t get all the Hook sympathy. He lied to Emma about a threat to her son’s life, he tried to whisk Henry away w/o Emma’s consent or knowledge. He had no right to decide on matters that affected Henry. If I were Emma, I would slap him for trying to take my son and then get a restraining order because he knowingly put Henry’s life in danger. You can dress it up however you want, Hook lied and almost got Henry killed. Anyone with half a brain could figure out that Emma is they key to defeating Zelena. If Hook had just told them the truth they could have deduced that for themselves before Henry’s life was physically threatened. Are we sure Hook isn’t the scarecrow because it sure seems to me that he needs to ask the Wizard for a brain.

• Gail says:

Hook stopped Henry from running away. If Hook hadn’t caught up to him at Emma’s car, Henry would have tried driving it to the nearest bus station. Hook was trying to protect Henry and also give Henry what he wanted which was to get to NY safely. From a logic stand point there was no reason for Emma to bring Henry back to Storybrooke. She knew it would be dangerous. Henry was in school. Emma is hardly mother of the year when it comes to protecting her son.

• soflirty84 says:

He stopped Henry from running away, but as always that one good deed is followed by a slew of bad decisions. Instead of going to Emma and telling her the truth, he takes her kid and tries to put him on a ship New York. How does he know that Zelena wouldn’t attack while Henry is a sitting duck on the ship? There were too many unknown variables that Hook took into his own hand, and he had no right to. As for Emma being a bad mother because she brought Henry with her, she was probably thinking that there was a flying monkey capable of killing that she had unknowingly let into her son’s life. If she had left him in New York, there was a very real chance that Henry would be harmed and she wouldn’t be there to protect him. At least in Storybrooke Emma and his family could protect him.

• Stormy says:

Not to mention that NYC is probably as dangerous for a child alone as Storybrooke.

• Gail says:

Isn’t there still no magic in our world outside of Storytbrooke? How would the WW attack Henry outside of Storybrooke? Apparently flying monkeys can leave Storybrooke and still be monkeys but there should be no magic. Emma was too busy going to attack the WW when Hook found Henry.. How would he even know where she was? He missed the meeting. Grumpy, with whom Emma left Henry, didn’t even realize he was gone. Hook’s heart was in the right place when he tried to save Henry. Just like he tried to protect Neil when he was a boy.

I see big conflict when this is over with Emma still wanting to take Henry to NY and Regina not agreeing to let him go.

• soflirty84 says:

Actually, I don’t think it has been clearly established that magic can’t exist outside of Storybrooke. Mushu was clearly magical and not in Storybrooke and when Emma gave birth she flickered the lights using her magic, even though she wasn’t aware of it. That flying monkey attacked her, so she wouldn’t leave Henry behind to fend for himself. The obvious and right thought to have if you catch a child trying to run away, if you can’t talk him out of it, is to alert his mother. If Hook couldn’t find Emma, than he should have kept Henry with him at the diner or even in the apartment that had a magical protection spell. The last thing he should have done was put Henry on a boat with a stranger and hope for the best. It would have been his fault if Henry had died. Emma has every right to be mad at him. As for Hook “protecting” Bae as a child, did you not see the part where he willingly handed him of to a psychopath named Peter Pan because Bae was upset when he found out Hook took his mom away from him? If you are a Hook fan, I suggest you don’t use that instance to argue his goodness. That, by far was the worst thing Hook has ever done. Handing a child off to a known killer out of spite or to save your own skin is despicable and then using that “relationship” to get close to Emma when he thinks Bae is dead was deplorable. Hook deserves the heartache. His choices directly caused Emma nd her families distrust. He needs to be a man and own them.

• Amy says:

Neal had no memory when he came out of Rumple and Rumple had been in contact with Zelena since they returned to Storybrooke so he knew she was behind everything, other than that I don’t recall ‘Rumple’ knowing anything…he didn’t even know what Zelena’s plan was in Stroybrooke but he did in the EF, • The writers have said that it’s possible to remove darkness from your heart, and Snow was extremely remorseful after Cora and convinced Emma to save Regina when the ‘diamond’ was about to go off, I’m not surprised her heart is pure once more. Hook made a mistake,and a human one trying to keep keep Henry safe and Zelena threatened to kill everyone if he told them too…that’s the point of these characters, they all make mistakes….

I like this episode and actually the only “plot hole’ I thought there was, was the arrival of Belle at the castle in conjunction with the pregnancy, but that’s pretty minor. I loved that Regina’s love for Henry broke the new curse and I can’t wait for next week.

• Ronnie says:

Before snow splits the heart she says something to the effect that they were already “one heart”. Their love was so great that their two hearts are one, they have merged (in some magical way based on their legendary true love for each other).

In this way, what actually happens is half of both Snow and Charming die when she crushes his heart. Yet, their love is so great that Snow’s heart, split, is enough for both to live. She is not actually bringing him back from the dead, because he was always alive in her.

Of course, how the spell is successful if Charming doesn’t truly die isn’t addressed. But it is a world of magic and wonder, so perhaps Snow’s willingness to give up her true love is actually the spell’s trigger.

• Elmstreetchild says:

I’m pretty sure if Henry had tried to drive back to New York he would have been attacked and turned into a flying monkey when he tried to leave town. So hook did keep him from leaving town the monkey guarded way at least.
      What seemed to bother me is the fact that he met smee, made a comment about how many times he’s watched the Peter Pan movies and doesn’t seem to give a second thought to the fact that smee repeatedly calls Killian aka a man with a hook for a hand, captain. They should stop writing Henry as some clueless idiot. I like the kid playing him. He’s not a great actor but I feel bad for all the backlash he keeps getting from fans. I’m thinking it’s the writin making people dislike him now.

• soflirty84 says:

So by your logic, the flying monkey’s would attack Henry if he drove out of town, but thwy wouldn’t attack the only boat leaving Storybrooke? I think Sunday night’s episode basically eviscerated that argument. If Zelena had only waited a few minutes so Hook could get Henry on the boat with Smee, Henry would have been a sitting duck for those monkeys and his family would not have been able to save him. Hook’s actions, choices, and dishonesty led directly to Henry’s life being in danger. Thankfully, Emma managed to save him but she has evry right to be pissed at Hook. Personally, I wouldn’t be with a guy that I couldn’t trust but I’m sure with Neal dead that Captain Swan will happen, whether it makes sense or not. Maybe Hook thought he was doing the right thing, but there in lies the flaw in his character. Even when he believes he’s doing the right thing, he isn’t. Hook can’t clearly distinguish between the two, making him untrustworthy and unreliable. I certainly wouldn’t want to rely on his moral compass. Yes, I conceded he has done a small few good deeds, but the only truly altruistic deed he’s done was saving Charming in Neverland, and even that could be debated since by saving Charming where he wasn’t able to save his brother, he got some redemption from his own guilt in his brother’s death. Anyway, as much as they try to evolve the character, they haven’t been able to redeem his fatal flaw.

27. Mare says:

YAY, Neal!

28. robinepowell says:

Reminder that Little John was also turned into a flying monkey, which was one of the clues that hsd everyone thinking the Wicked Witch of the West.

29. Eli says:

I was so happy to see Neal, one last time. I still thinks his death was pointless

30. Gail says:

The show seems to be borrowing elements from the book and Broadway show “Wicked” by having Glinda and the Wicked Witch previously having been friends. I wonder if we will learn more next week which apparently be set in OZ.

31. Hannah says:

Regina said portals don’t exist for those who were brought back by the curse. However, since the spell was to undo the original curse maybe those who came to Storybrooke after the curse don’t have that limitation. Since Hook wasn’t part of the original curse he should be able to use portals. At least that’s how I understood it.

32. Kristina says:

LOVED tonight’s episode, huge Robin/Regina fan so was glad to see all the scenes. I’m curious now they have there memories back shouldn’t they know who’s married or engaged, I think it’s Regina and Robin. I don’t see how it’s belle/rumple and clearly not Emma and hook.

• Sophonisbe says:

At the end of the episode Regina clearly stated that she wasn’t interested in him in FTL, so I don’t see why they would be engaged.

• Mrs. Featherbottom says:

I really like Robin and Regina together, but they got together so quickly. I assumed that their connection in Storybrooke was based upon a previous relationship in the Enchanted Forest/FTL. If they couldn’t stand each other, then why are they not only drawn towards each other but also opening up (specifically Regina) to the possibility of love again? I guess I just don’t see why Regina is now ready to move on…and “he’s her soulmate because he has the lion crest tattoo” isn’t a good enough answer.

• Jenny says:

I think a lot of it has to do with where her mind set was in the EF vs. Storybrook. She had literally just lost the only person that she had loved (besides Daniel and her dad.) and there was no way she would ever see him again. Plus, I think the reason she WAS so against Robin was that she DID feel some kind of attraction for him, but wasn’t ready for it. Now fast foward to SB and boom…shes got something to fight for. Plus, I think she’s realizing that she can’t afford to hold back or be afraid anymore.

I’m also worried that they are progressing her story so fast is b/c she might die….IDK. I just preparing myself for the worst lol.

Any who, just my opinion.

• suzi says:

Yes, I thought it was very obvious in the war council flashback that there was attraction between Regina and Robin Hood. But Regina in ftl was doing everything in her power to fight it She was picking fights with him aaall the time, just because. They reminded me of children in the school yard, pulling each other’s hair, lol.
            So the attraction was there, but Regina in ftl is always more closed off and standoffish than in SB. Then there were the circumstances. They weren’t ready to take that step there. SB was like a new chance and after the year together in ftl they were ready to take it.

• HCD says:

I think Snow and Charming’s discussion about their hearts and their ability to survive with one heart made an impact on Regina. She doesn’t remember it, but I think there was a subconscious shift at that moment. Watch her reaction there.

Remember- if Regina fell in love with Robin in FTL, she would have had someone to kill to cast the curse.

• sr10ca says:

I thought that as well. I loved the connection between Robin and Regina’s conversation at the beginning of the episode when he told her that his heart would have to do for the both of them and then the literal splitting of the heart for Snow and Charming.

33. DOT says:

Loved it reginas and hood relationship has me hooked I just wished the writers didn’t rush this relationship (did anyone else notice an also did they spend the night together I NEED ANSWERS!!!)

34. Bradster says:

Finally!!! That’s all

35. rachelle says:

I am madly in LOVE with Robin and Regina! They are so freaking cute. Regina’s smiles have me grinning from ear to ear. We haven’t seen her smile like that since Daniel and that was decades ago. She deserves to have someone see the good in her and love her without restraint and she deserves to feel the same about someone else. Robin is sooooo good for her! I can’t wait to see where the show takes their characters next.

As far as them spending the night together, idk. He could have very well just went to pick her up to walk with her to her meeting. Or they could’ve just had breakfast before. Who knows? Too bad this isn’t the kind of show that would show couples getting super frisky.

The Charmings were just the epitome of cute tonight. Their love story is so beautiful. Sometimes, I forget about it because they’re already together and so their journey’s kind of at a plateau, but tonight I saw that their love story is still unfolding and it is beautiful.

Tonight’s episode gets an A in my book, but then again, I’ve always enjoyed this show. I try not to nitpick at it and enjoy it for what it is and it’s still one of my favorites.

36. Terry says:

Pine cones for money. LOL.

37. A says:

Is Dorothy played by the actor who plays Henry’s real life sister?

38. rachelle says:

Also, didn’t Mulan join RH and his Merry Men. Where is she??

• JC says:

Jamie Chung is starring on her own show on NBC now; it’s called “Believe.” Although the ratings for it are terrible and the viewers aren’t there, so maybe she’ll turn up on Once next season. ;)

39. ninergrl6 says:

Overall I liked this ep because it advanced the plot & answered some questions. However, some gripes…
    With all of the angst so many couples have experienced on the show, Regina & Robin got together AWFULLY fast. I like them together & it’s really cute to see Regina happy, but I was like, “Wait, that’s it? They’re together, no drama?” Maybe the drama is coming because that just seemed too easy.
    The split heart thing felt like a cop out. All of these seasons with people getting their hearts ripped out and it’s THAT easy to just split one in half & have 2 people survive? There had to be a better way to explain that or to enact the curse with someone else.
    All they had to do to get Henry’s memory back was have him touch the book? Really? And no one thought of using the book before? That felt like a cop out too.

• Christy says:

It wasn’t just touching the book that does it. Emma had read, looked at, and touched the book several times and nothing happened; remember? It wasn’t until Emma became open to the possibility of magic that she was able to “remember”, kiss Henry, and break the curse. Henry had to believe that magic was real first before he could get his memories back.

40. Dan says:

I’m loving this half of the season and REALLY hope that this Oz arc bleeds into season four. I feel like there’s so much Oz mythology and well-known characters (the lion, scarecrow, tin man, munchkins, etc.) that there’s no way it all could have been covered in these 10 episodes. Hopefully they’re saving some of it for next season!

41. Phil says:

I really like this show, but the writers seem to come up with too many giant cop out loopholes. First it was the after pan reset with everyone going back to the forest and Emma and Henry losing their memories. We were told flat out that they could never cross worlds again. But Hook crossed worlds and gave Emma a very simple memory option and the charmings get to perform a curse and pay NO price after Rumple has told us time and time again that magic always comes with a price! And then all Henry has to do is touch the book to remember and Regina kiss him on the head for the curse to no broken… Much easier and quicker than the first time around. Like I said, I like the show and I watch every episode, but it really feels like cheap writing. They give us all these rules for this world, put the characters in a position of mortal danger, then proceed to break all the rules that they wrote with very simple loopholes.

42. Jenny says:

I’m trying hard not to think the worst, but I have a feeling that the other character death might be Regina. They did say another cast regular would die didn’t they?

IDK. I just feel like they are tying all the loose ends with Regina’s life. She’s redeemed herself in others eye’s and especially Henry’s. She’s become one of the heroes and shes found it in her to love again.

Plus with Zelena having her heart..I just don’t know. It doesn’t sit well with me :( I am a big lana Parrilla/Regina fan and I would ABSOLUTELY HATE it if they killed her off. I don’t think i’d ever be able to really enjoy the show again :(

Someone convince me I’m wrong!!!! Please! LOL

43. JC says:

“No, you don’t. I’m your mother and I know best, so you’re just gonna have to deal with this for now, okay? Understood?” — BEST SCENE EVER. Henry is so damn annoying, and Henry with no memories is even more annoying.

• Stormy says:

i don’t find him in the least annoying. And, in a couple of close ups he had a bit of a young Richard Gere look. He’s coming along nicely in the acting dept. too.

44. Pat says:

Well I just have to say, that I got up this morning and the first thing I did was grab my cup of coffee and bring up TV LINE.COM to read the review and comments on OUAT and I love it.I figured out the necklace that Zelena wears had something to do with her powers, a couple of episodes before. It seems kind of funny that none of the main characters thought about it. Emma just seems so harsh at times. First when she went off on Henry, when he came out of the diner to talk to her and then going off on Hook who was trying to save Henry, from Zelena. Also, I felt a little sad that she has yet to call either Charming or Snow, Dad or Mom. This again was proven when Snow went into labor and she ran to her but called her Snow. Yes, I know they did not raise her and they look like they are close to the same age, but she has known now why all of this had to happen, but still they are her parents. If Henry can call Regina,Mom and he also now calls Emma, Mom, when will she acknowledge the same with her parents? I know, I am nitpicking, but it does bother me a little. Last night was great! Reading some of the comments about Regina possibly dying, well I sure hope this will not happen. As for Rumple, we haven’t seen much of his character except for little bits here and there, but I am not sure if he will be able to survive after Zelena is gone, because of Neal’s death. Talk about a “heart” problem, his has to be broken and I know that Belle will be there for him but he is definitely broken by the death of his son. Next week looks exciting and also upsetting because Zelena took the baby, which I did not want to see happen.

45. suzi says:

I was so happy with this episode. Snow and Charming broke and healed my heart and Regina and Henry breaking the curse was perfect. I’m a big fan of Robin and Regina too. They are the cutest. It fits that there is no forced outside drama for these characters. I know we are almost conditioned to expect that because so many tv shows still do that and just look at someof the romances on Ouat too. But Regina and Robin feels more natural to me compared to that. I hope it stays like that and in the future the hiccups in their relationship will be internal, psychological angst. But for now Regina has earned it that she can be happy and in love and smile her beautiful honest smile for some time!

46. Smile says:

I hope Hook isn’t hiding anything more from Emma (besides the not helping Ariel thing). I don’t want him to become a villain and I don’t want Rumple to die.

47. greysfan says:

Once Upon a Time is really going from strength to strength at the end of this season. Why did we have to put up with all that Peter Pan non-sense in the first half of the season. Only a couple of episodes left. Can’t wait to see if they can defeat Zelena and also have they forgotten about Hook? I still have this bad feeling a “moment” will happen when an accidental kiss will occur. He is still cursed right? It was good to see Henry’s memories return though. Now bring on the defeating of the Wicked Witch!

48. OEdystopia says:

Again,I have to say that Lana Parilla is such a great actress. I’m a OutlawQueen Shipper. In my opinion Regina and Robin moving on very fast is due to the fact that they spent much time in Neverland. The Neverland plot is something I fail to relate to. Not rooting for plot 3A.

Robin and Regina have great chemistry together. It’s good to see Regina happy.

Snow and Charming: cute. But: David shares Snow’s heart. It isn’t his own heart. Remember EP 205 The Doctor: Daniel was quite mad living with a different person’s heart. Daniel suffered great pain. Does true love make the difference?

49. Iris says:

It surprised how happy I was that Neal sent the message, it’s a very neat and clever way how to show us that Neal (or in this case maybe Bae would be more appropriate) trusted Killian. In all his 300 +/- years he did not find any other person that he would trusted more with the task of saving his family – his love and his son – the two most precious people (ashe knew that Killian would do anything for them). I know that some of you will say that I “see” things that aren’t there but I still believe it was a wonderful way to show us that they were, indeed (ugh, I love this word since StarGate), real friends.
    Shipping aside, Hook screwed up :D. And I’m really looking forward seeing how creators unfold this story.
    With the heart, I kinda remembered “Stardust”, where Yvaine “gave” (metaphorically) her heart to Tristan and the witch realized that she can’t take it (literally). So when I look at Snow and Charming, for me it seems that they “gave” their heart to each other – and “share” them. But well, they can always make a problem out of it.

50. Tracy says:

Loved this ep and glad we got to see some mysteries solved but wish we’d seen more Hook love!