The Killing: Netflix Announces Release Date for Abbreviated Fourth and Final Season

The Killing Season 4Netflix is looking to make a Killing this summer.

The streaming giant announced Thursday (via the following rain-soaked promo) that the former AMC drama’s six-episode fourth and final season will drop on August 1.

RELATED | The Killing Exclusive: Look Who’s Playing Linden’s Estranged Mom!

As we previously reported, The Killing‘s final season will revolve around a murder at a military school and co-star Joan Allen (Luck), Sterling Beaumon (Red Widow), Levi Meaden (The 100) and Tyler Ross (Amazon’s Zombieland).

1. Guy says:

LOL “final” season. This show somehow never dies!!!

• lechatnoir says:

Un-killing . It’ll probably get a spin off as well. Deservedly though.

• Naryaquid says:

That’s good — I HOPE it never dies, because I love it!..The acting and the storylines are virtually flawless!

• Michael says:

Please keep the killing from only having a short 4th and last season. Netflix will get and keep many new customers if you keep the series going. The killing has many followers and once the word spreads that you will keep this show going so many will sign-up.

• Michael says:

I hope you are right:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

2. Miranda says:

I must be part of the minority that’s chomping at the bit to have Det. Holder back in my life. Even if it’s for an abbreviated, possibly mediocre season.

3. Fosho says:

Thank God for Netflix!

4. Gus T.T. Showbiz says:

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how easy it is to cancel a Netflix account? I don’t have one because I don’t have internet access at home but, I would be willing to get an account to watch this. But, after that is it easy to cancel or is it a royal pain in the you know what like everything else online is to cancel?

5. eileen says:

LONG LIVE THE KILLING!!!!

6. jasie says:

I was hoping they wouldn’t call it the final season, even though we knew it was. That way they could pick it up for more seasons if it does well for them.

• Marc says:

I keep wondering why they insist on calling it the final season, because it stands to reason that it could get renewed if it is well received, unless the main leads are not interested in extending the show.

7. Warwick says:

Gus, it’s very easy. If you time it right you can even watch the whole 4th season of The Killing on a free trial. I’ve quit and returned to Netflix many times over the years, never a hassle.

8. Sarah says:

Are they going to release an episode per week, or all the episodes at once?

Lol, what a journey this show has had!

9. Joe says:

With holder get to actually drop f bombs now???

10. Cj says:

I last season was a huge let down and I’m bummed we have yet another teen murder scandal season. They should have done the lawyer murder from the original.

• Steve Pritcharf says:

I thought season 3 was great. The first season was good too. But the Rosie Larson case drug out too long. 6 actual hour long or hour an a half episodes should still be able to deliver. We may have a teenage victim like the last two. But this victim will most likely be male , the other two were female. Who knows where this will go ? Bit I have faith Linden and Holder will get the send off they deserve. It’s still same producer and writers and cast . Just on Netflix where Holder can drop massive amounts of F bombs.

11. Steve Pritcharf says:

Can’t wait till August 1st . It’s gonna be sad to see Linden and Holder go. But glad they’re at least getting a proper send off. AMC just swept them under the rug . I wonder if netflix can do this with other shows AMC may cancel if their ratings start to stink. Mad Men is starting its last season . They’re already doing “Better call Saul ” a breaking bad spin off. Who knows they may resurrect mad men also in the future.

12. RoseV says:

Sayonara, Hiawatha! Sleuth par excellence returns!

13. timothy says:

they should try to keep this going a little longer I love this series ! best in a long time !

14. I just dont get the American audiance. This is an awsome show in every respect. Mindless drivvel gets 10 seasons and shows like this can’t get a following WTF

15. sara lynn meyers says:

Its about time!

16. Misty says:

I love this show!!!! I ‘m so happy that Netflix picked up the last season. The networks keep giving up a great shows. I hope Netflix picks up Crossing Lines too.

17. Yolanda says:

Why only 6 episodes? Please consider several more seasons of The Killing. I will join Netflix just to watch it.

• Michael says:

Thank you netflix! Thank you for picking up the killing so I can see what I hope will not be the 4th and finale season. I am not able to get out much because of health reasons but watching netflix helps ease my boredom. I love most of your programming but the killing is why I recently joined netflix. I hope you can keep the series going. You will be loosing a lot of customers if the killing is completely cancelled. This is just not my opinion. Continue to read all the comments of your customers. Sincerely (I never leave comments. That’s how much I enjoy the killing)

18. TNGal says:

I am sorry The Killing is going to be on Netflix. We really enjoyed watching it; but, I am not willing to pay Netflix to see the final season.

• Marc says:

Get the free 30-day trial when Netflix puts up the episodes in August. The good thing with them is that they make all the episodes of a season available at the same time. You can watch the final season in one go or over the 30 days. Then cancel your free trial after.

• Galo says:

Netflix is not expensive, it has great shows , movies and documentaries, you’ll enjoy it, I am a happy customer.

19. Julie says:

Im with everyone, though I love the Killing as a whole ensemble Holder just makes it for me. Last season when Holder first came on screen I screamed, it was like Holder waz the Beatles and I was a 14yr old in 1965! Bye the way if you like holder check out the Facebook page: Holder From The Killing it is all the things you love about this part-time vegetarian sensei in the blood sport of your life…

20. Veronica Jones says:

So glad that Netflix is picking up The Killing. I wish this was not the final season, but all good things come to end. Unfortunately the better they are, the sooner they seem to end. I hope other shows which end prematurely are given an opportunity to end properly. I loved Southland, and though the show ended on a this could be the last episode or not note, I wanted more closure!!! I literally screamed at the screen when it ended. I guess I now know how followers of The Sporanos felt.

21. Karyn grace says:

I cannot believe that The Killing is cancelled after an abbreviated seAson 4. How can this be? Silly shows like Hawaii 5-0 continue into new seasons and yet a well written, well acted, well directed show is cancelled.

22. mindy kelly says:

Best drama series I’ve seen in a long time.Don’t understand why anyone would take this off the air after season four.This show needs to continue on.