Emmys

Seth Meyers Hosting 2014 Emmy Awards

late-night-with-seth-meyers-series-premiere2014 has been very good to Seth Meyers. Exactly two months after taking over Late Night, Meyers has been tapped to host the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards, airing August 25 on NBC.

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

“Seth’s expertise and ease in front of a live audience during his time at SNL, as well as his comedic brilliance both as a writer and in front of the camera on SNL and Late Night, makes him the perfect choice to host the Emmys,” Paul Telegdy, President, Late Night and Alternative Programming, NBC Entertainment said in a statement on Thursday. “Plus, with Don’s vast experience at putting these type of big productions together, we’ll be in great hands.”

In addition to Late Night, Meyers’ previous hosting duties include the 2010 and 2011 ESPY Awards, as well as the 2011 White House Correspondents Dinner.

What say you, Emmy viewers? Drop a comment with your thoughts on Meyers’ hosting gig below.

1. Marcinho11 says:

Ugh. Don’t like Seth Meyers. He tries too hard.

2. rod says:

Love love Seth Meyers, he is gonnaa be awesome in this.

3. Amber says:

Good choice. Didn’t think he was too funny at ESPYS, but think he’ll be great with this.

4. Ron says:

Guess I won’t be laughing during the Emmys this year. Hopefully some of the presenters will actually be humorous.

• Tom says:

No, but Seth will be laughing. He laughs at all of his own jokes, no matter how stupid they are.

• Ron says:

Ya know, I don’t think I ever really picked up on that. But now that you mention it, you’re totally right. (I think I’ve always just been distracted by how absolutely unfunny he his.) Thanks for giving me another reason not to like Seth…

5. schu says:

Ugh, not a fan. Lorne Michaels politics striking here I feel. Bring in Ellen!

6. Et al. says:

Pass. I’ll read the awards online after.

7. ninergrl6 says:

Are you sure the awards are Aug 25? That’s a Monday.

8. Faye says:

Good for Seth. He’s so pleasant without being blah and maybe we’ll get some appearances from his buddies Amy and Tina.

9. Shar says:

Sorry, I was hoping for Jimmy Fallon.

10. Anna says:

I think he’s gonna be great! Not as great as NPH though, who should just (at leas co-)host everything.

11. Joey Padron says:

Happy Seth Meyers will hosting it. Can’t wait to see what fun and funny bits he’ll have plan for show.

12. mia says:

Snoozefest…..

13. Nikki says:

I don’t mind Seth Meyers; I liked him during his run on “Weekend Updates” on SNL, but the Emmys? Really? There are so many other, funnier, more talented performers that could be hosting. Jimmy Fallon, Neil Patrick Harris, Tina Fey, etc.! I just don’t understand this choice at all.

14. Abby says:

A clever move. I believe his ratings are low because no one knows who he is, and not because he isn’t funny (though sometimes…meh). Kimmel’s ratings were brutal for years, but then he found his footing, AND his truly, not-Man Show funny while the Leno-based drama went on at NBC, and Letterman wrote less funny jokes on his way to his retirement. Sure, people watch SNL, but Weekend Update skits rarely make the recap rounds, and that was basically all he did while he was there. Putting him front and centre on “TV’s biggest night” will no doubt open him up to an audience he needs for his show to survive.