Memories from the Set: Ari Graynor Talks Jobs on The Sopranos, Fringe, Numb3rs and More

Ari Graynor Bad Teacher Memories from the SetA recurring feature in which we ask your favorite stars to reminisce about past gigs

Ari Graynor, who debuts as CBS’ Bad Teacher on Thursday (9:30/8:30c), tells TVLine she’s waited a while for this particular class to be in session.

She auditioned for the 2011 feature film on which her new series is based – “obviously, not for the Cameron [Diaz] role” – and didn’t get it. “Then, when it came out, I just missed [seeing] it,” Graynor says. “And then, when the show became a reality, I specifically decided not to see it, because our show is very much its own thing.”

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Four years after that not-so-fruitful audition, Graynor is the one polishing the apple: She stars as Meredith Davis, “a completely inappropriate teacher” (loosely based on the role Diaz played in the movie) who suddenly finds herself as an authority figure in a grade school. Before long, she’s befriending a group of 11-year-old girls… and also trying to date one of their dads.

“It’s just such a delicious comic set-up,” she says.

RELATED | Pilot News: Meg Ryan to Narrate How I Met Your Mother Spin-off How I Met Your Dad

TVLine asked the actress, who’s also got a bunch of stage and big-screen credits to her name, to reminisce about a bunch of her prior TV jobs. Click through the gallery below on as Graynor tells stories about playing chicken with her future on The Sopranos, running into a Bad Teacher co-star on Veronica Mars, letting loose on Family Guy and more.

1. Spencer says:

Is it Family Guy or American Dad, since it says Family Guy but the picture is of American Dad. Just clarifying! :)

2. Will says:

Ari is a joy to watch on screen.

I may actually give Bad Teacher a shot just because of her. Although being a single camera comedy, I doubt it will make it. Feels like it would be better off on NBC.

3. polly says:

I wish she could have been part of the later seasons of fringe aswell.. Really liked her character.

4. Brooke says:

Good lord, she looks different in everything she’s in. I keep having “OH YEAH” moments when it’s mentioned she played Olivia’s sister, but I never recognize her when I see her in other places.

• dreamlife613 says:

Me too. I kept forgetting what the article was about while flipping through the gallery. I clicked the article because of the Fringe reference but had no idea that woman played Olivia’s sister in the show.

5. ggny says:

She is one of them actress that have been on the brink of breaking into Stardom for awhile now. Hopefully this breaks her through but judging from the reviews it doesnt look like it will be

6. erin says:

I am only watching because of her. I love Ari in everything she does, so I hope Bad Teacher doesn’t disappoint!

7. Christian says:

“I just remember Kristin Bell being the sweetest human being on the face of the planet, which remains true to this day,” Graynor says.

Aww .. can I love Kristen even more? She’s seemingly the perfect woman!

8. Joey Padron says:

She have a great career in tv and movies. Can’t wait to see how she does on Bad Teacher.

9. Lisa Ray says:

This girl is so funny! I absolutely loved her in the movie “For A a Good Time Call.” She was fabulous! Plus there are some funny cameos in there too.