Exclusive

American Idol Exclusive: Top 5 Theme Is...

011041Here’s hoping American Idol fans have been using their Twitter accounts for good, not evil.

The Top 5 contestants will tackle an “America’s Request” theme next Wednesday (8/7c).

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

Viewers who tuned in for April 2’s Top 8 performance show might recall host Ryan Seacrest repeatedly encouraging viewers to tweet song suggestions for their favorite contestants along with “#IdolRequest.” (Naturally, the fine print under Ryan’s head reminded us that “final decisions [are] at producers’ sole discretion.”)

The remaining Season 13 contestants will reportedly receive shortlists of tunes tweeted by the Idoloonie Nation, from which they will choose two songs each.

Stoked about this idea? Do you think it’ll lead to fresh performances? Or are we fated to suffer a night of “I Have Nothing,” “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” and “Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)”? Sound off below!

1. Joe Strummer says:

So, basically the producers will choose a list of songs for the contestants to choose to sing.

• Dakota says:

Like every week. It means its free choice and we’re going to hear them butcher songs we’ve heard on Idol, The Voice and every other show multiple times. Oh an maybe a couple current songs thrown in

• jay bee says:

A couple of things to remember (and pointed out in the interview with Dexter). 1. They need to get clearance for a song…so just because it might be a great choice for them it doesn’t mean that they can get it cleared. Presumably with the lead time from the original show they have had some success in getting that done AND 2. an artist may chose a song and envision it being done a certain way, but at times the band may end up over ruling them.

With that said…the bulk of the top 5 have brought more new songs and new arrangements to Idol than I have seen in years. I think this could be a real interesting show.

• NJ idoloonie says:

How hard could it be to get a song cleared? I would think any band would want their song featured- it brings a lot of publicity, not to mention royalties.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Not sure why you would say that, Joe Strummer. The majority of the songs on Idol last week were new!

• Vetle says:

Actually this season is one of the top 5 seasons in terms of fresh songs (about 63%), which is amazing seeing it’s season 13!

• george says:

I think Caleb Johnson should sing one of meatloaf ‘s song he will be good at them.

• Beth says:

Completely agree.. Not sure the exact title, but the one ‘You took the words right outta my mouth..’ would be great.. it would fit his voice great and has lyrics that will connect with people..

• Beth says:

Completely agree. ‘You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth’ would be awesome for him.

2. MAB says:

Are they going to sing two songs again? Are both songs going to be America’s choice or is there another theme?

3. Adam Fachry says:

Yes!! Hopefully Jess saw my tweet in which I asked her to sing Neko Case’s This Tornado Loves You, and Jena would consider my Smiths’ “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” suggestion. I haven’t got a chance to tweet for Caleb, unfortunately :(. If it were still allowed, I’d use my 140 characters to recommend him Bowie’s Moonage Daydream.

• Adam Fachry says:

Lol okay, spoke way too soon. It was the producers who read the tweet and would make the final decisions before giving the shortlists to contestants. There’s no chance in hell my suggestions would be considered, then.

• Julie says:

Amazing choices Adam!! “This Tornado Loves You” is such a beautiful song, would love to hear her do it! And the Smiths, well just incredible in every way :)

4. Lara says:

This could be amazing. But it won’t be, because the producers will just give them the same safe, crappy choices that they always do. It’s just incomprehensible to me that, even with new producers, no one seems to want to listen to the diehard fans who keep the show on the air.

5. Kaba says:

Doesn’t sound like a week to be restless for.

6. Look forward to some possible awesome picks. I mean, Caleb’s “Family Tree” is a prime example of what can happen with a cool, obscure song choice.

7. Forwardad says:

Tptb should provide the viewers with a list of artists who have cleared their music. That way we won’t waste our time with songs that will never see the idol light of day.

8. Stormy says:

I’m sure TPTB will look at the suggestions from viewers, consider them as guidelines and ignore them. I’d be willing to bet that if every single responder asked for one particular singer to do the exact same song, it would not happen.

9. J. May says:

I’d like to hear Alex tackle Boyce Avenue’s version of Disturbia by Rhianna or do something truly daring and sing A Perfect Circle’s version of Imagine.

10. marie says:

This could be just as good or as disappointing as any other week. You have to admit that far the new producers have cleared many more songs than Uncle Nigel and co. ever did. I’m pretty sure we’ll continue to hear some more songs that haven’t been done to death on the show. Besides, I doubt that the readers of this board aren’t the only longtime viewers who are sick of the same old, same old; why would other fans request “Against All Odds” or any of the other chestnuts?

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree, marie. We’ve heard a lot of new material on Idol this year. While I understand and appreciate the skepticism everyone should tweet in fresh, new ideas. And it doesn’t necessarily need to be “current” tunes. Just songs that haven’t been “done to death” to quote Mr. Slezak.
      Here are my ideas – just off the top of my head.
      Alex – Rick James’ “Super Freak” (believe it or not, Ricky Skaggs has a bluegrass version that’s pretty darned good, so anything is possible).
      Jena – Faith Hill’s “Stealing Kisses”
      Caleb – Lee Brice’s “I Drive Your Truck” (Try some country, Caleb – GREAT lyrics)
      Sam – Fountains of Wayne’s “Stacy’s Mom”
      Jessica – Cheley Wright’s “Single White Female”

• Adam Fachry says:

Sam singing a song that glorifies Milf? Lol okay, that’d make JLo happy.

• darcy's evil twin says:

LOL, Adam!
          It has a catchy tune. I thought it would be a good song for him since it’s a little more upbeat.

• ChellemaBelle says:

I think Stacy’s Mom is a hysterical choice (in a good way). I was originally thinking Mraz’s “What Mama Says” or Weezer’s “Sweater Song.” Just something that is not mopey or surrounds him with Lowe’s Lighting Department.

11. Amanda says:

Well, I’m hoping they’re gonna show the tweets that suggested the songs. That way we’ll know it was really suggested and not producer picked.

• GuitarBlue says:

The band probably won’t bother or have ample time with the singers to learn 10 brand new songs they are not familiar with. So there will still be some limitations, unless somebody like Alex just decides to do his own rendition on his guitar with maybe just a drum and freelance lead background…………………Idol always pushes for them to do “well known” songs as well — so we will probably see some older material slipped-in to the mix.

12. Siera says:

Ya twitter sihould be used for good as so as this page for your blog since you are media man. Publish your reviews in a constructive manner rather than being so negative Mike. I used to respect you but lately you were so negative as a writer. As Jessica sez, your fave, spread love not negativity :-)

• MamaLis says:

What in the world are you talking about? Since I don’t see any other “Mike” here I assume you’re referring to Slezak, except there’s not a negative sentence to be found in his whole column!
      WT – ??

13. I see a possible week of crash and burns , what was really nice about this week were all the new songs that have never been sung on Idol before , !

14. Terry says:

Wait a second Michael, are you saying you never tweeted any song suggestions?!?! Dude this was your one big chance, how could you drop the ball like that?!?! LOL

15. Maya Mendoza says:

I love your comments about what the idol contestants shouldn’t sing. I agree completely. There are so many “wonderful songs” to choose from. I hope whoever chooses, chooses wisely

16. Jenna says:

Heard from a few people that Idol has been direct-messaging people on twitter that give them the suggestions they want the contestants to perform. One girl who was direct-messaged suggested Hey Jude for Sam. If that is indeed one of his song choices, I’m looking forward to see what he does with it. There’s a video of him covering it a cappella on Youtube, and it’s flawless. I really, really, really hope he can do that in the beginning of the song, and then break out into the original. That would be great.

17. :( says:

Jena-Pokerface by Lady Gaga (maybe on the piano?)
    Jessica-Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
    Alex-Little Talks by Monsters of Men
    Caleb-Dream On by Aerosmith (too predictable but all his songs sound the same)
    Sam-Honestly have no clue.

18. darcy the slutty twin says:

I am tweeting madly for Jeeena to sing “Sugar Pie Honey Bunch” or “Honkytonk Badonkadonk.”

• Parker says:

You meant mumble then shriek those selections, right?

• darcy's evil twin says:

OMG!
      You know, I think Caleb could do justice to “Honky Tonk Badonkadonk”, which is kind of a catchy number.
      And the actual name of “Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch” is “Can’t Help Myself”.

19. Syb says:

I hope the producers chose interesting new selections. I’m afraid they cherry picked the easy ones and then will just blame the fans for suggesting all the old chestnuts. But I have to say for the most part, the music choices have at least been less tired. Not always astute choices for competition, but not I Will Always Love You/My Cheri Amour/Unchained Melody/Stand By Me…etc.

20. ck says:

Caleb – anything from “The Commitments”. Particularly “Dark Side of the Street”.

21. Jenna says:

Sam has hinted on Twitter that one of his songs is “Sing” by Ed Sheeran. Hope he doesn’t get ridiculed for performing the same artist’s songs twice. Should be interesting to see what he does with it, especially because the verses are completely rap, if you can call it that. Ehh. Don’t know how I feel about this.

• C says:

Didn’t Angie do the same artist’s songs twice last season? Or is my ever-faulty memory fooling me again?

• Mafs95 says:

Angie did the same artist (Jessie J) FIVE times: “Mamma Knows Best” (audition), “Who You Are” (1st Hollywood Round), “Nobody’s Perfect” (Top 40), “Who You Are (again)” (Top 4), “Domino” (Finale)

22. Mark says:

Somehow I missed this column. It’s obviously too late and I don’t twitter, but just in case anyone still needs a song, here’s a few suggestions:

Alex – Best of Friends (Palma Violets), Every Waking Moment (Citizen Cope)
    Caleb – R U Mine? (Arctic Monkeys), Hey Hey My My (Neil Young)
    Jena – Everything is Embarrassing (Sky Ferreira), Zombie (Cranberries)
    Sam – Spaceman (Killers), Last Night (the Strokes)
    Jessica – Don’t Get Me Wrong (Pretenders), Sara (Fleetwood Mac)

• Jaszy says:

OMG, Mark, you picked some GOOD ones for Jena. That song by Sky Ferreira is….AMAZING. It’s so simple, has that repetitive sound to it, yet it’s so mesmerizing. Love that song. I think Jena could do wonders with it. and Zombie, that’s a great song as well.
      For Jessica, my personal favorite, I don’t really know those songs but it would just make my day if she sang “How Do You Sleep” by Orianthi, or “Right Through You” by Alanis Morissette or
      “Pale Blue Eyes” (Velvet Underground but reminiscent of the Andrea Corr version. I also think she’d sound great singing Diane Birch’s “Rewind.”

• Jaszy says:

Also, forgot to mention that Citizen Cope song is killer! He’s such an underrated artist.
      Sam should just sing another David Gray song. Those songs are in his wheelhouse. My personal favorites of David Gray’s are Fugitive and Silver Lining. Love those songs!

23. p says:

Jessica- No Surrender by Bruce Springsteen, Give Me One Reason by Tracy Chapman

Jena- And So It Goes by Billy Joel, You Found Me by The Fray, I Am Me by Willow Smith

Sam- Ho Hey by The Lumineers, How To Save A Life by The Fray

Alex- Fire and Rain by James Taylor, Is It OK If I Call You Mine by Paul McCrane, Prettiest Friend by Jason Mraz

Caleb- To Love Somebody by The Bee Gees, Desperado by The Eagles

24. sissy says:

jena-rehab
    jessica-total eclipse of the heart
    caleb-id do anything for love
    alex-fire and rain