Amazon Prime to Exclusively Stream HBO Faves Including Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Veep

HBO Amazon Prime DealNetflix as online streaming kingpin? Fuhgettaboutit. Amazon Prime Instant Video has inked a deal to be the exclusive online-only subscription home for a vast array of HBO programming past and present.

As part of the landmark partnership, starting May 21, Amazon Prime members will have unlimited streaming access to all seasons of The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Six Feet Under, Oz (per EW.com), Eastbound & Down, Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords, plus select seasons of Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood.

RELATED | HBO Renews Veep and Silicon Valley

Miniseries such as Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parade’s End are also part of the deal, as are original movies (like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Don’t Know Jack), numerous documentaries and original comedy specials.

Episodes of more recently debuted HBO fare including Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will become available on Amazon Prime approximately three years after airing on cable.

RELATED | Sarah Chalke and Selma Blair Join Amazon Ensemble Comedy Pilot Really

Not mentioned within the sprawling press release: Sex and the City, Entourage, Game of Thrones and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

In addition, HBO GO — the pay cabler’s authenticated streaming service — will become available on Amazon’s Fire TV service by year’s end.

1. Elyse says:

I have both Netflix and Amazon and I keep thinking about canceling my Netflix because Amazon Instant Vid seems to have almost everything Netflix has and then some.

2. Mark says:

This is a major deal for Amazon. People will still complain that there isn’t first-run content, of course. But HBO has always been very protective of its content and this is huge.

3. e says:

so excited to finally be able to watch the wire, deadwood, and six feet under!

4. JulieAnn says:

Rom! <3

5. Aimee says:

This is great news. Lots of shows that I would like to see.

6. Agree with some of the other posters , Amazon getting different content then Netflix is huge if it wants to get wide spread adoption , they already get FX , so I can watch Justified :)

7. Jax says:

Wow. This is pretty big news. Well done Amazon.

8. Babybop says:

Six Feet Under?? Dang, this means I have to get Amazon Prime now…

9. Mike R. says:

Great news, Amazon is quickly becoming a real threat to Netflix, I got it last month to catch up on The Good Wife, but news like this definitely make me more likely to keep my subscription.

10. Ana says:

Eh, I’ll still stick to my netflix. Amazon Prime videos are extremely disorganized and annoying to use add to the fact that almost every tv show they stream is already on Netflix. Besides, the only shows on HBO I care about are GoT and Veep and they aren’t even included.

11. PJ says:

Have both Netflix and Amazon Prime as well. Good step in the right direction. The other thing is that on some series Amazon only provides the first season with the rest you still have to pay now matter how old it is.

What – no love for Carnivale? Disappointed….maybe when access to HBO GO is live it might show up.

12. Jane says:

I wish you could just buy the “GO” separately. I rarely watch movies on any of the channels any longer and mainly just keep them for shows like GoT. I don’t need a dozen HBOs, Showtimes, etc. that I never watch.

• One of my twitter friends lives in the mid-west and her cable co. let’s you get Go for $15/month so long as you have an account with them. I don’t know exactly where she is though. The worst your cable co. will say is ‘no’.

• gdv says:

Call your cable provider and ask. I only get the regular channels (abc, nbc, etc.) with a $10/month HBO add-on. They don’t really advertise that they allow this, but it’s awesome and totally worth it. This $10/month includes the HBO Go subscription.

13. joefromwb says:

Is there any word on how this affects HBOGo? I have that, but not Amazon Prime. Will all these old shows that are currently available in their entirety on HBOGo remain there as well, or are they going to be removed to Amazon exclusively? I’m loving catching up on old series and will be seriously irritated if they disappear.

14. Carlos Alvarez says:

Awesome news. I have always wanted to watch Six Feet Under and The Wire and would love to rewatch past seasons of True Blood. I know what I will be doing this summer

15. Lisa says:

I’ll believe the “unlimited streaming” when I actually see on the screen that they aren’t charging me for the episodes. So far my Amazon Prime membership has left a lot to be desired in terms of free streaming.

16. Joey says:

Then at the very least Showtime needs to ink a deal with Netflix so that I can watch Shameless more easily.

17. Lauren says:

Will this be available in countries other than the US?

18. larson says:

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with
    the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
    Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.

19. ernie says:

Not so good a deal you can watch 2 or 3 seasons of a show get you hooked and then charge you 3.50 an episode not great.