Dancing With the Stars Week 6 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?

dancing-with-the-stars-results-recapThere was (quite literally) a party in the ballroom on week 6 of Dancing With the Stars, as our fleet-footed celebs had to jive, tango, salsa, quickstep and cha cha cha their way through a slew of the greatest “Party Anthems” of all time, although with wildly mixed results.

With just eight stars remaining (is James Maslow still the early fave for the Mirrorball trophy?), tonight’s live show also showcased the leather- and feather-clad Macy’s Stars of Dance strutting their semi-naked stuff, the latest guest judge – who embodies shindig mode better than LMFAO frontman RedFoo? — along with a not-entirely-shocking elimination.

Let’s get this party started, and high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT
Charlie White’s cha cha cha was glow-in-the dark glorious, and James Maslow’s quickstep was top-notch, but for my money, top honors go to…

Meryl Davis & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Despite their clearly stressed-out practice clips — Maks finally revealed his irritation and self-doubt after Julianne Hough’s “phoning it in” comment — Meryl’s tango was sheer, drama-filled perfection. Len praised her ability to go toe-to-toe with Maks on the dance floor (“You’re the first celebrity that has been able to match him and keep up with him”), while Bruno tapped some apt movie metaphors (“spine-chilling … totally gripping film noir of a tango…incredible”). A teary (so what else is new?) Carrie Ann was left almost speechless (“your technique is beyond anything I’ve ever seen”), while Redfoo somehow referenced ET and the solar system before calling it “out of this world.” Obviously, nothing less than a quad of perfect paddles would do.

RUNNERS-UP
Amy Purdy & Derek Hough: Dancing a high-energy, eye-popping jive that brought the ballroom to its feet, Amy also razzle-dazzled the judges. Often at a loss for words throughout the night, Redfoo ended his tongue-tied comments with a 5-second howl (“that blew my mind”) while an overwhelmed Bruno proposed marriage and compared Amy to a “real live superhero.” Though Len and Carrie Ann both referenced a slip-up in the middle, they were equally enthusiastic, with Carrie Ann lauding her wondrous technique (“you had the best kicks and flicks I’ve seen, out of anyone”). Their pair of 9s combined with two perfect 10s were apt rewards for a very memorable dance.

Danica McKellar & Valentin Chmerkovskiy: Dancing a fiery cha cha cha to Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody,” Danica’s unshakeable poise and continuous improvement continued to impress. Redfoo was just plain turned on (“you just put love in the club”), while Len (“that’s the best dance of the night so far”) kept it short and sweet. Bruno compared Danica to a “purring little kitten…adorable all the way through,” while Carrie Ann marveled at her ease with the dance’s difficult changes of pace and her evolution as a dancer (“you are the full blossom”). The dance earned a string of 9’s from the panel.

FINAL THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Candace Cameron Bure & Mark Ballas
Danica McKellar & Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Drew Carey & Cheryl Burke

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Drew Carey & Cheryl Burke
Candace Cameron Bure & Mark Ballas

ELIMINATED
Drew Carey & Cheryl Burke

“I got farther than I thought I would, to tell you the truth,” said a gracious, smiling Drew, who thanked Cheryl before adding his DWTS experience was a dream come true. “Thanks for letting me borrow your dance floor, and let me fulfill this fantasy.”

And with that, it’s your turn. Did the right couple go home tonight? Sound off in the comments!

1. Sarah says:

Hmm…Julianne Hough has made lack-luster movies, released a very bad country single, painted herself in black face and then tried to defend that decision, and chopped off her hair in the every increasing trend in her life to follow someone else and not have an original thought in her tiny little head. So…the guest judge debacle and “phoning it in” comment…..would have carried wait from a respectable guest judge…her brother a 5 time DWTS Champ, Emmy winning choreographer.

• S says:

So true. As much as I see what she was trying to say she said it terribly and caused unnecessary drama. This show makes it like Julianne is Jennifer Hudson off of American Idol and winning an Academy Award. Sure she has done more than some of the other dancers that probably thought they were more popular than they were, but she really doesn’t deserve all the praise that this show gives her. And I completely agree about her haircut. Some people can pull off that short hair, but she cannot, and looks infinitely better with longer hair. It was a bad move on her part.

• Cher says:

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve had enough of Julianne Hough! I think Maks is one of the best dancers on the show and I can’t believe he let her stupid drivel get to him. He and Meryl are unbelievable.

• Anne says:

Seeing as how that was weeks ago maybe you should let it go already. Also, attacking her career doesn’t make her OPINION any less valid since it’s exactly that- an opinion.

• Sara says:

No one else has let it go. It was an incredibly unprofessional comment against his character and his own professionalism. Valid, I guess, is a relative term. You’re correct that it was her opinion, however, she used it as a judgment which makes it inherently different.

• Annie says:

AMEN!!! She was in a judges seat, not her pedestal! She has really become quite the snob, her pedestal is so high the air is totally affecting her brain – ugh I’m done with this show!

• TheFactsR says:

You are what you are, her career does reflect in her nasty attitude!

• anita nicholas says:

Well least maks worked harder and pushed meryl to be incredible so juliannes comment was worth it to get through to maks

• TheFactsR says:

Derek Hough is only a champ because Derek ALWAYS gets the “Meryls” otherwise he is just a boy

• A fan says:

Derek is a repeat champ because he is a gifted dancer and choreographer who knows how to make his partner shine. He hasn’t always gotten the first choice partner.

• RUCookie says:

Yes Derek is a greta dancer. His choreography is wonderful at hiding what his partners can’t do… whereas I see other pro’s trying to teach the whole style to their partners. It depends on what you are looking for, I guess. I prefer Maks (Tony, Val, Cheryl…) to Derek.

• AngieD says:

Actually, Derek is one of the better pros at highlighting the strengths of his partners while most others work harder to hide what their celeb can’t do well.

2. Angela says:

I loved Amy and Derek’s dance. Very adorable. And it may not have been the strongest dance of the night in terms of scores and such, but I thought Nene’s was quite entertaining, too. And Meryl and Maksim were good as well.
    Not too surprised that Drew went home, but still sad to see him go as he knew how to have fun. I did like how gracious and kind he was when leaving tonight, though. He seems like a genuinely cool, decent guy :).

3. Name This Tune says:

No, the right couple didn’t go home. Nene should have been standing there. God what a prima donna.

4. Sara says:

Yes, the right couple went home. Drew did a lot better than I thought he would, but it was his time. Next week, as unfortunate as it is, it should be NeNe and Tony. They’re one of my favourite couples but I’ll admit, NeNe is obviously not one of the strongest dancers. Glad they got the week to redeem themselves after producers kicked them in the face last week. I was fully expecting Danica & Val to get 10’s after the judges were hard-pressed to critique any part of their dance which kind of implies perfect score, but whatever. Glad they were safe – Danica should not be near the bottom 3. Amy’s dance was definitely very well done, but I saw the mistake…they should have gotten all 9’s. They had mistakes while other couples had none but got only 9’s. Either way. Very happy for Maks & Meryl; Carrie Ann is right, they do bring out something in each other. They have a very special relationship and I truly hope they bring the mirrorball trophy home.

• TheFactsR says:

Sara, so happy someone noticed Amy’s mistakes. While for someone without two feet, she did very well BUT she is to be scored as everyone else is scored and Amy did have two areas of missed steps that were very noticeable, therefore did not deserve any 10s.

I thought Charlie while not a perfect dance did deserve just a tad more score wise.

Danica another underscored dance for her and Val.

Chandace another underscored dance too.

Amy’s dance I will excuse Redfoo’s 10 BUT Bruno come on! That was not perfect therefore should not have gotten a 10 from Bruno.

• Zaniffa Jan says:

Meryl & Mak all the way…

5. Jetting Benny says:

I thought they scored Nene higher than they should have. She seems to dance the same every week. I was surprised to see Danica and Val in the bottom. It also seems Mark is a bit frustrated with Candace, and I can’t say I blame him. And finally, I was surprised the remark by Julianne Hough bothered Maks. He should be smarter than that and understand that her remark was unprofessional and catty. I bet she’d never say anything bad to her brother.

6. Belle says:

With each passing week this show continues to completely disappoint me!!! Sorry all you Erin fans, she has GOT TO GO!!!! And don’t even get me started on Julianne, she is so “not all that” why do they (and many viewers) put her up on this pedestal??!! She has no true ability other than to look pretty and dance, being a horrible guest-judge was her nail in the coffin for me…I’m leaving as Brooke did, sad but super glad I am no longer wasting my time on DWTS :) Ahhhh, now that feels good!

7. Aryn says:

Maks, don’t let the spiteful words from Julianne get to you…you are a remarkable dancer and she has no right to act as she did last night :( She was unprofessional and clearly has an ax to grind with you. She’s not worth it – let her weapon of words roll right off you back and never ever let her do it again :) We luv ya!!!

• TheFactsR says:

What it was is Maks acted as though he would climb over the judges desk to take her place in the dance, and she took offense as she would LOOOOOVE to be a more permanent judge! She would NEVER lower herself to return as a mere little pro dancer ever again!

8. TheFactsR says:

Julianne Hough found she is not GREAT in the music world and she also is not GREAT in the movie making world so any chance to make her look superior in front of a bunch of people on the DWTS scene was what she was looking for when she attack Maks.

It made things worse for Julianne, her already declining worlds or song and movie are now worse by people planning to boycott her whenever possible.

9. Allen lingsley says:

really, who gives a d–mn?

10. Julianne attacked Maks’ integrity with that comment, not his choreography or dancing. She as much as said that he would harm his Val’s partner rather than give her his best. It was a hurtful, obnoxious, unwarranted remark. I think Maks is a very proud man and he was legitimately hurt that someone would imply he would do less than his best. I understand why it has hung with him. I hope last night helped him get past it.

Nene should have been the one to go home. Her attitude is atrocious and her dancing is not good. While I admire what Amy is doing this season, she hasn’t been judged on the same scale as the rest of the dancers all season. Case in point, Carrie not deducting for lifts with her.

• TheFactsR says:

EVERYTHING in your comment Bobbi is absolutely correct. I totally agree with EVERYTHING in this comment.

• JBC says:

Yes, Amy should not have gotten a 10 from Bruno this week and Carrie Ann mentioned her lift last week but didn’t deduct points from it. Either they change the rules because of her disability or mark her the same as everyone else.
      I think Max and Meryl are sooooo beautiful with their dancing. They are good dance partners. Meryl is also used to having a partner to work things out with as a performer herself so I think she has been good for Max. Love watching them.
      NeNe is getting rated higher than she should, but what bothers me most is Dancing with the Stars thrives on showing all the behind the scenes high drama. I disliked the way she treated Tony, as much as I disliked what Julianne said to Max last week.
      Candace is doing her best and she looked really good this week with her letting lose and footwork. She always gets rated low.
      Did anyone notice that the past two weeks when it came down to the 2 couples at the end, they always say: “not necessarily the bottom two”, which means they are “playing” us. I believe Candace has never truly been in the bottom two. She has a huge fanbase. They are trying to make us think that, otherwise why say that at the end.
      Ok, so one more thought, Hope Erin is not on next season, she is embarrasing. Miss the REAL band with Harold Wheeler, miss the elegance of the ballroom. I had a hard time watching the special Macy’s dance b/c it seemed so dark.

• NJMark says:

They say “not necessarily the bottom two” EVERY week. They pick which non-eliminated couple is still in jeopardy for dramatic effect.

• TheFactsR says:

Just another WAY to BLOW Derek Hough’s HEAD up! Bunch of BULL S#*#*

• lovedancingwiththestars says:

Hi,JBC
        do you know how to spell Maks’ name. He is Russian so his name will be spelled differently. And I don’t mean to be mean if I am I am very sorry.

11. TheFactsR says:

Power Ranking

Meryl A
    Charlie A-
    Danica A-
    Candace B+
    Amy B
    James B
    NeNe B-

12. GS says:

While I truly admire Amy for doing what she is doing and she does do well considering she is on prosthetic legs, I’m over the unfair judging. That jive did not look good and they made multiple mistakes. But the judges had to fawn all over them and give them 2 10’s which was ridiculous! Danica and Charlie deserved some 10’s but not Amy. Derek is a great choreographer but his attitude grates on me and I can’t stand him. I am truly loving Maks and Meryl this season. She is the perfect complement to him and they are flat out amazing! Candace could be good but she has no clue how to let go. She is taking the whole chaste thing too far. You can be a Christian and be sexy but she’s just gotten stupid about it. I’m hoping 13 is Maks’ lucky season!

13. McKay says:

I hope the rude, crude, obnoxious Ne Ne is the next to go. I don’t think the skaters should have been on this show. They have been dancing for years.. even though it was on ice. Not fair. The show would be a lot better if they got rid of the stupid judges Gushing Carrie and Bozo.

• JLK says:

It’s just laughable how so many ignorant people think that dancing on ice…with skates that immobilize your foot and ankle…and dancing on a floor in which you’re expecting to have pointed toes and such is “the same.” It’s not. Not even remotely. The only advantage that Charlie and Meryl have is that they’re both athletes that have the physical ability and drive to learn how to use their bodies in a new way.

14. Marilyn D says:

Meryl is already a “dancer.” She and her ice skating partner have had dance instructions from Derek Hough for their ice dancing. Amy is the one who demonstrates what most people will no issues can do. This is all tv entertainment and reality show drama. I pass on all of it.

• JLK says:

Derek didn’t teach them how to dance. He choreographed their routine. Big difference. He provided the artistry…not the technique.

• AngieD says:

What gets Meryl and Charlie ahead is their ability to train. If you look at past history, a majority of DWTS winners are athletes or people with some prior dance history. Ice Dancing is very different from dancing – you can’t glide on one foot like you can a skate, you can’t twizzle on a dance floor, staccato footwork isn’t considered significant on ice.

15. Mark L says:

The new band really stinks up the place. Last night every song was marred by poor timing, off-key notes and terrible singing. The guy singing the Rick James song was warbling all the time because he couldn’t hit the notes and had to cover his mistakes. Once, OK, but he did it several times in the song. This is NOT a dance band, their sound is what one would expect at a Bieber concert. The producers of DWTS really messed up on this band and also with Erin of the hooty voice and goofy remarks. Producers never admit mistakes but the DWTS producers could really help the show by bringing back Harold Wheeler and Brooke. And while I’m at it, go ahead and have Julianne as a guest judge but tape her mouth shut, and as for Redfoo do they really think a celebrity judge who acts like a doofus helps the show? The show is losing all sense of style and class.

• Jeanine Taylor says:

I say get rid of the guest judges! Why have Cher? She is not a dancer and seems to know nothing about ballroom dancing. What a joke that was!! Nene should never have been on the show in the first place – such a rude person! Felt sorry for Tony, having to shove her around the floor. Derek is great and I think he and Amy should be in the final two. Maks is wonderful and has had some bad breaks with some of his partners. He deserves to win this time. I agree that they should bring back Harold Wheeler and certainly get rid of Erin. What happened. anyway, to the Wheeler Band and Brooke? Never heard why!!

16. Carrie says:

Maks. Maks. Maks. I adore him and I agree that Meryl has brought out something very special in him – vulnerability, which we have rarely, if ever seen from our resident bad boy (dashing, manly man, rock star) of ballroom. When he talked about finally having a chance to win you could see how much it meant to him and how much Meryl means to him. I swooned. Len was spot on with his comments and he shut down Julianne’s nonsense with “Maks always dances full on no matter who his partner is”. Thanks Len. Their tango last night was flawless, their chemistry is magical and I no longer care that Meryl has the ice dancing advantage – other past winners have had dance backgrounds too, but none of them have created a partneship like Meryl and Maks – I honestly think its the best pairing this show has ever had. Sidebar: Considering how many dancers DWTS has hired off of SYTYCD, wouldn’t it be awesome if Mary Murphy were invited to guest judge? This thought came to me after Redfoo used her signature howl.

• Beth says:

I agree! Maks has always at the core wanted to bring out the best in his partner. When he lost it, Meryl was so encouraging. I just think her gentleness and ability to calm him down is just what he needed. The audience finally got to see how has-been Julianne’s comment bothered him. I want them to win so bad. I may be the only one but I am sick of real housewives on this show. Nene needs to go.

17. Anne says:

I can’t stand Meryl. There I have said it. She might be technically amazing, but her face just looks like it’s painted on. Since this is television and the camera often has close ups of her face she could stand to show a little emotion. And the cutesy little girl thing in her pre-dance packages drives me nuts. And her and Maks dancing together is creepy. He is a man and she looks and acts like a little girl.

• Sara says:

Wow. This is the most ignorant and obnoxious comment I’ve seen this week. You’re aware that Meryl is 27 and Maks is 34 right? Hardly an age difference. I think it’s really sad you’re criticizing things about her that she can’t, or doesn’t want to change. Why in the world does it matter if she’s a cutesy kind of girl? That’s who she is, I think it’s clear that it’s not fake. And for that matter, what about all the other extreme age differences there’ve been over the seasons? Val & Zendaya come to mind. He’s a man and she was a teenager but they made it work, they have a lasting friendship, and they had some incredible dances. Mark Ballas has had a couple of teenagers too. Why is it different? Because Mark doesn’t look as manly or as macho? You’re very close-minded and rude.

• Sam says:

I disagree. I think Meryl has a very special kind of beauty. Exotic and gorgeous. She just exudes a calmness that helps with keeping her grounded with all she has going on right now. Dancing with Maks on DWTS, skating with Charlie in Stars on Ice. And she isn’t a little girl. She’s small in stature, and that makes her look girlish. I’m enjoying her partnership with Maks. They seem to have a great working relationship, and it shows in their dancing.

• Leah says:

I love her. She just seems very sweet and hardworking and I’ve seen nothing to tell me it’s an act. That she doesn’t naturally look the part of the friendliest person just makes it better. I’m guessing that you don’t suffer from b-tchy resting face. It’s a burden that can’t really be understood unless you have it.

• Vin says:

She has been overscored. Maks’ choreography has been lackluster. I wish she had been paired with someone like Mark.

• TheFactsR says:

what TRASH bin did you crawl out of Vin! HAHAHAHA you pure Derek fans keep hanging onto you direct line to “GOD” HAHAHAHA

• TheFactsR says:

STUPID comment

18. TvPeong says:

Maks has a really great chance of winning this year (I still think he and Mel B should have won, hopefully some day I’ll get over that ;)). I like him with Meryl and hope that they make it all the way to the end.

• Linda says:

I totally agree. I haven’t ever gotten over Maks and Mel B not winning !! Maks is truly a gifted dancer and choreographer. He’s a very passionate person and takes his talent very seriously. I hate it when any of the judges attack him. They are nicer to him this year. In the past they treated him terrible. (Maks, thank you for coming back this year. You and Derek are the main reason I watch the show.) I am so happy he has the beautiful, kind Merle for a partner. They light up the dance floor. She is genuine, not the drama queen so many of them are in rehearsal. They bring out the best in each other. All the celebrities are wonderfully talented this year. The Pros are fabulous as well. No one should ever dismiss the incredibly talented and gracious, Derek Hough. He can make a dancer out of anyone and no, he doesn’t always get the best partners, so cut him some slack. Without him, there would be no show. He is amazing. I hope Maks and Merle take it to the finish, they are truly in a class above.

19. Sue says:

Maks and Meryl have been underscored all season. Judges have a grudge against him. Get some news judges. So over their favoritism. Derrick is a great choreographer and teacher but they fail to notice his partners errors regularly.

20. smitty says:

I agree! Get rid of Erin……..
    and this new band. She belongs on a celebrity gossip show,what with all the inane comments coming out of her mouth. And the band just sucks.

21. donnamarie says:

Yes the right couple went home. He should have gone home sooner. I really wish DWTS would stop with the guest judges. Half of them have no idea what they are talking about and the one pro they did have was rude and obnoxious. Cannot stand her any more.

22. Vin says:

I am sorry that Drew went home. He is far more entertaining than that phony Candace Cameron. Can’t stand her.

23. clare says:

I take my hat off to all involved in DWTS’s Rude comments aside, I think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

24. rian says:

O.K., so Julianne’s comment about phoning it in was inappropriate. However, I loved it that she told Meryl that she (Julianne) wished she could dance like her (Meryl). The main thing that bothers me about Julianne’s judging is that her brother is one of the pros, and I consider that to be a conflict of interest.

• TheFactsR says:

That doesn’t bother me that Derek is on the show while Julianne judges, ALTHOUGH it IS Julianne’s attitude, it is EXACTLY what the show should get away from!

Most people who want DWTS to continue now that the show runner was ahemmmmm, oh yea “stepped down” want the show to move away from the B^*& like Julianne and Erin!

Len has calmed down, Bruno and CAI watch it too!

25. TheFactsR says:

The Show should NOT have a co-host that was ever on DWTS as a contestant.

The show should move away from judges who judge unfairly, that do not score everyone the same, that are rude, and those guest judges who don’t know how to score with KNOWLEDGE.

26. TheFactsR says:

I always look forward to TVline’s recap of the shows

27. lovedancingwiththestars says:

Go Maks and Meryl. All the way to the end. You can do it. Just keep working hard.