American Idol Results: Gunpowder & Dread

unnamedKevin Bacon, what the hell? This may be your network, but it isn’t your show, and Seacrest only has the one line. “THIS!” Is six inches of separation anxiety from the norm. Oh, well. We all got over it. Even Ryan.

Whoopsie, Jennifer’s skirt is too short. Ryan hilariously pretends this is another stunning deviation from what we already know and love (to hate). She shoots him some daggers (the ones on her head). Oh, it’s on. And we never saw Ryan Seacrest again.

RELATED | Idol Mentor David Cook on Judge Antics, Top 8 Performances & Whether the Show Still Matters

Scripted dinner chat! Yay, these are my fave. Jeeeeeeena has officially become the shiniest mouthpiece for the show, raving about seat-filler Demi Lovato’s visit and worrying about the jaunty, overactive baby frog in Harry Connick Jr.’s throat. All seven of the idols murmur robotically about the night’s various social media strategies as if they are solely responsible for explaining the way of the modern world to a group of rapt aliens. Guys, it’s just us. Go ahead and tweet your pics and maybe we’ll see them. No exposition is necessary.

Ugh, something about Mustangs. That’s child’s play! The judges all have dozens of those throwaway toys. Every time Keith Urban mentions “Nic,” I’m like ooh, who’s your husband? Just in general.

Wow, that’s really all that happened. ‘Twas a pretty uneventful results show tonight in The House That Kelly Clarkson Built For Carrie Underwood. (Yeah, Slezak, I went there! Just for sport.) Unlike the heroic Michael Slezak, I don’t see the point of even mentioning Randy Jackson. Damnit. I lack discipline!

RELATED | The Voice Playoffs Recap: The (Rise and) Fall of the House of Usher

So let’s jump to results:

Sent to Safety (in No Particular Order)
Jena Irene
Alex Preston
Caleb Johnson
C.J. Harris
Sam Woolf

Bottom 2 Vote-Getters
Dexter Roberts
Jessica Meuse

Eliminated
Dexter Roberts — lord knows he’s a “Lucky Man” (for making it this far)

Backwards baseball cap tonight for Dex — his signature “cocktail” attire. Get this kid a drink! Or at least a bushel of Easter candy.

Slezak will be back next week — in the meantime, discuss tonight’s Top 7 results! And for all my Annie news, video replies to weird questions, and photos of the sunset and my DVR, keep up with me on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube!

1. Jase says:

Did everyone else see Keith actually mouthing “No way!” when Dexter was announced as the person going home this week? Jesus. Can’t they even PRETEND to not hate Jessica?

• Danny says:

I missed the “No Way” but it doesn’t surprise me in the least. It’s like even Keith is getting in on the jam pile.

• Wendy says:

I saw the JLO head shake when it was announced that Dexter left and Jessica stayed. She looked pissed.

• Stormy says:

She also looked chubby in that dress when she first turned to sit down at the start of the show.

• AlyB says:

She literally sneers at Jessica. I can’t stand it. She’s so frigging honey dripping sweet to the other contestants and then turns into a viper with Jess. It’s making me just seethe. The other two just pile on but with JLo it seems to be personal. It’s got to stop. It’s just over and beyond any kind of professional behavior. Someone needs to rein her in.

• Shawny says:

Nowhere near as mean as they were to Haley back in season 10, but Jessica is definitely getting similar treatment this season. It’s like these judges never like women over the age of 18 whenever JLo’s a judge…

• tealeaves says:

@Shawny, you hit the nail on the head! Thank you! I have been trying for years to figure out the common denominator for which females get giddy praise and which ones get sober suggestions for how to improve even when they are among the best of the night.
            Lauren Alaina and Jessica Sanchez were 2 of her favorites and they have very different styles. But they were both young contestants 16-17 years old. JLo almost cried when Karen Rodriguez was sent home, so it is not just about stage presence. She was not a big entertainer. Also Haley had massive stage presence and she was on the outs. Thia Magia was only 15-16 but she was no favorite even though she had a beautiful voice. So it is not that all the youngest teenages are the praised ones. But age is probably the first factor. Females have to be teenages first, to have any chance of being a favorite.

• GuitarBlue says:

!!!!!

• Luke says:

Please. Jessica is no Haley Reinhart. Everybody’s going on about how mean the judges are. But Jessica is not coming off as a warm, sweet and supportive contestant herself. Just like Sam, she will never get how awkward she is appearing onstage – and looks to my eye that she doesn’t want to try.

• karyn says:

I don’t like Lopez as a judge but I don’t think she sees these contestants (regardless of age or voice quality) as competition. Whatever you think or her voice or her performance style, she’s a super-star under no threat from these girls. I think what is going on here is either (i) deliberate manipulation by the show (this was certainly the case of the Haley-hate season when they were angling desperately for a Scotty v. Lauren Alaina duo in the finals) and (ii) Lopez doesn’t have a decent voice herself so she puts all the emphasis on performance and pans anyone who doesn’t have that locked up.

Like others have said, though, it is unfair to act like Lopez is the only one criticizing Jessica. It’s also unfair to say the critiques are wrong — clearly Jessica is a bit awkward on stage. The issue is one of fairness. The guy contestants (Alex – who is my fav BTW, Sam and CJ) don’t get told they have to move around and then get nailed to the wall when they don’t look natural doing it. The judges let CJ off lightly for singing wretchedly and let Sam off the hook for singing a love song like he’s reading a grocery list, while finding plenty of nice things to say about them. In the meantime, they rattle off 10 separate slams against Jessica’s stage movement without acknowledging strides she has made in her delivery or the fact that she (unlike CJ) actually hits most of her notes.

• Rachel says:

I concede your opinion, a bit, but was it not JLo that defended Jessica’s “Pumped Up Kicks” uninformed performance a few weeks ago? I also love her voice, but I, too, thought the song got away from her. She was my least favorite this week, and aspects of her personality rub me the wrong way. In my opinion, the lack of praise for Haley was completely unjustified. On the other hand, for Jeasica, I agree with the judges. Though, not with the sneering.

• Syb says:

The majority of viewers are women and I’ve come to believe women cannot accept the reality that the hot male judges this season have been substantially harder on Jessica than JLO has. It’s the very double standard of which they accuse JLO of being the bad guy. JLO is a woman who is attractive and we hate her. If Harry makes an idiotic comment that Jessica’s Pumped up Kicks interpretation didn’t correctly interpret the lyrics, if Keith says that Jessica should sashay around the stage but it’s ok that Alex just stands there, well, you know Keith is a good guy, because he’s cute, and he’s a guy, and Harry, he’s a genius, and a cute guy. It cracks me up. JLO’s future will not be affected by whether Jess succeeds or fails. Just pure silliness.

• Aaron says:

I don’t get where Jessica’s fans are coming from. The feedback that they give her 99% of the time is DEAD on. I didn’t agree with Harry about ‘Pumped Up Kicks”, but I do agree when they talk about her looking uncomfortable on the stage because SHE DOES. I don’t hear them knocking her voice, it’s usually about her performance and let’s face it – choreography is clearly NOT her thing. I mean let’s face it – American Idol is looking for people that can do it all – sing, perform, connect – and that is not who Jessica is as an artist – she is a singer/song writer and she makes it clear that she doesn’t want to participate in all of the other things that Idol requires. Nothing wrong with that – but she will get called on it EVERY time – much like Dexter and his karaoke performances and Sam with his connection and Alex with his “introverted” performances. So GIVE IT A REST – what they are saying to Jessica is like 95% less vicious that what they said to Haley – and even suggesting that it’s close to the same thing is LAME.

• tealeaves says:

@syb, who is defending Keith? I don’t see anyone defending him. He is the one who said the trio worked well with the guys’ voices. He is also the one who told her the other week that she needed to move around more and he failed to mention that of course she could not have done it that night because they had put her on a pedestal with no room to move.
            People are discussing JLo’s reactions because she is very expressive. She will frown when some contestants appear on stage, an beam at others even if their vocals are completely off. She will also regularly express frustration every week when certain contestants are sent to safety and when some of the worst performers are left in the bottom.
            It has always been a matter of the differences in reactions to different contestants. I think people have been very consistent in pointing out this is the problem. Why does the female contestant have to move around the stage while the guys can stay put with their guitar every week and that is fine? The contestants who are unfairly singled out are always females, it seems.

• Leticia Prado says:

Was not that the week that J-lo was an awesome judge? Exactly the day before she released that horrendous “song”? I guess she needed all the credit she could muster that week.

• Jeff L. Smith says:

JLo was that way with Season 11’s Hollie Cavanagh, too.

• GuitarBlue says:

True

• Foxfire says:

I remember the relentless assault by JLO against Hollie C. as well and it made me so mad because I thought Hollie had a beautiful voice. I don’t remember JLo ever being so mean and disagreeable to one of the guy’s performing though.

• karen says:

I don’t agree. JLo has nothing personal against any of the contestants. She’s been a great judge all season. Jessica’s problem with body language must be all the more pronounced in person, because all the judges keep pointing it out. Jessica has also had issues with poor song choices. I can’t figure out what kind of artist she pictures herself to be when she chooses songs like Sounds of Silence or Call Me. I liked her so much at the beginning, and I still like her, but she has been hit and miss in a lot of ways.

• Mercedes S. says:

JLo hates all female Idol singers who can actually sang. Her love for Jeeeena may stem from the fact that they both need auto-tune to sound decent.

• I don’t understand why they don’t give Jessica at least some credit for coming out of her shell and trying things differently, while CJ and Dexter and Sam do the same thing week after week after week. Dexter could have went home several weeks ago and it’s fine he went home now, but the fact that CJ is still in this competition is craziness. How does he get away with doing the same John Mayer style performance, singing out of tune and not progressing at all in all of these weeks, but Jessica is worse than him (according to the judges)? Sure last night wasn’t her best night, and maybe she deserved Bottom 3, but her track record didn’t deserve her going home. I think at this point it’s only between Alex, Jena and Caleb and the rest are gonna go in whatever order. Let’s hope that CJ is next out.

• Leticia Prado says:

Pretty much my thoughts. I actually liked the performance. Not her absolutely best, but girl was way much better than last week, when it looked like she was afraid of falling while walking. She is at least trying and doing what they ask of her. And CJ is just… there.

• Cher says:

Jessica has a beautiful voice and I could listen to her all day but she is painful to watch.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I totally agree, Cher. Her voice is amazing. And I do believe the judges are being hypocritical when they can’t even think of one constructive comment for CJ (not even one!), and yet they seem to have volumes for Jessica. That said, their hypocrisy does not invalidate the accuracy of their comments. She moves awkwardly. Her rhythm is off and forced. She always seems uncomfortable. And they keep saying that b/c it continues to be true.

• J. May says:

I have to agree as well. Last night I was (almost) literally yelling at the TV hoping that Jessica would make her body match her stellar voice. She can’t or won’t do it and it becomes a focus point for the judges to pile onto. Kind of unfair, but it is a legit complaint.

• Kimberly says:

Not really. This is Idol, not So You Think You Can Dance. Alex stands in the same spot every song. Sam invariably not only sits/stands stiff as a corpse, he looks terrified most of the time. They are deliberately coloring people’s view of Jessica. She has never been in the bottom three yet every week they talk smack about her…and all while praising people like Malaya, who is a sweet kid but sounds like she is singing with a horrible cold. Not a legit complaint. She does what they are there to do, sing, and she does is damn well.

• The Beach says:

@Kimberly. I was thinking the same thing about Sam and Alex. Let’s see them step out from behind their guitars for a minute and work the stage.

• Jase says:

The judges complaints about Jessica looking awkward onstage aren’t (always) untrue, but they’d sound a lot more fair if they also complained about Sam looking like a constipated toy doll every time he sings. Also, if they gave Jessica any credit for her vocals (which are second only to Jena). They didn’t even give her artistic cred for her amazing original song a few weeks back.

• azu says:

Jessica sings like a robot without a soul. Her expression is blanker than a Zombie. In short these crop of contestants are below par. I really do not see any conspiracies against anyone. What I do see is that this season, you are voted for based on week to week performances not favouritism

• Yo says:

Jessica, for whatever reason, has a problem showing affect. He expression and body language does not match the passion or emotion in her voice. I think she can overcome this; it may be a result of an emotional restraint that was necessary for her for some reason or it could be that she just got used to playing in small venues where no one was listening so it didn’t matter. She doesn’t need to move, as long as she expresses in her face what she is feeling.

But she is a good singer and does not deserve to be bussed, especially when some of the males have no affect, either. No one has told Alex to kill the facial deadpan, and the cat kneading feet, and Sam can’t conquer his wooden smile. Chances are, as with CJ, Harry will drum Jess’s weakness into us until she leaves, but if he does, I may not be watching.

• J. May says:

@Kimberly I just want her to relax a little bit, be a little looser. You need to have some spring in your step or have some fun with Gunpowder and Lead. Skylar Laine, whose voice is good but doesn’t match Jessica’s (IMO), proved that a little energy makes all the difference in the world.

• Tommyo2000 says:

And skyler lan has accomplished what since she left Idol??

• Foxfire says:

So tired of the double standard the judges have when criticizing Jessica. I still don’t understand why Sam and CJ weren’t in the bottom as usual and I hope it wasn’t because of producer manipulation. So Jessica isn’t an exciting performer to watch yet, give her time I say. With success her confidence will grow. Meanwhile, Alex and Sam continue to stand still while performing and the judges continue to rave about them

• MAB says:

Not true both have had their share of criticism. Last week they were quite hard on Alex. Sam has gotten criticized weekly for his lack of connection. Why is Jessica so special that she shouldn’t have negative feedback especially when it is so true. I just can’t warm up to her at all. There is something cold about her. She has a nice voice but not good enough to overcome her lack of connection with the words she is singing. She is uncomfortable to watch and she is just not getting it and is now having an attitude about it. Thanks to everyone feeding her the poor Jessica whine which is only going to hurt her. It is not dancing it is a flow of her body that is in sync with the music. She has no style and no rhythm. Alex has his own style and his body oozes the music. He draws you in but Jessica draws you away. BTW, I loved Haley and there is no comparison. Jessica cannot hold a candle to Haley.

• Foxfire says:

Look, I appreciate your comments but Jessica has a beautiful and unique voice, she is also a talented songwriter. It would be nice if she were a more exciting performer I agree but 2 our of 3 ain’t bad. Emmylou Harris also wasn’t an exciting performer but her voice was so beautiful she could get away with it. I still say Jessica just needs a little more time to get over her stage fright. Maybe she’s just a very shy person. The constant criticism by the judges without any positive feedback is just not helping her at all and it makes me wonder if they really want to help her. With the right mentor I believe she would be doing a lot better. Apparently Jess isn’t the chosen one this season and the judges remarks make this oh so obvious.

• Aaron says:

The “So You Think You Can Dance” mention is so far off base. Nobody is expecting Jessica to dance like Paula Abdul back in the day or like J-Lo – she just clearly has ZERO rhythm – and it’s painful to watch. the comparison to Alex isn’t right either – he does just stand there, but her moves and he looks 1,000,000 times more at ease on the stage and in front of the crowd than Jessica does. As for Sam – I think the MAJOR problem there is that the show is trying to paint him as some sort of teeny-bopper heart throb and I think he has ZERO interest in it – so he always looks like a deer in the headlights because it’s not what he wants. I bet if you asked Sam point blank if he’d rather be more like Alex or a teen heart-throb his answer would be more like Alex. He is a musician and I am sure he wants to be taken seriously as that – and not some flash in the pan Bieber-ish performer. Same with Jessica – dancing and rhythm aren’t what she is interested in – unfortunately it’s part of the show and the game, so she either needs to step up or she’s going to continue hearing the same thing from the judges.

• Michelle says:

found it interesting that this was the same complaint when she was on a pedestal-I guess Sam gets a pass because he is being surrounded by lighting equipment etc. At this point Jess could walk on water and it would make no difference. They did the same thing to many other contestants and it is always a female.

• Lking says:

If they asked Sam to move about the stage, I’m afraid the only action you would see is him fainting. Alex looks to me like he might trip over his feet. So the double stand continues. I hope the Jess hate backlashes all the way to the finals.

• tvlover44 says:

@yo- your comment about alex’s ‘cat-kneading feet’ cracked me up – best description yet!
            and @aaron – that’s a really great point about sam, that he doesn’t seem interested in being the ‘teen heartthrob’ in the least. and that reminds me – how awkward was the show tried to make the point that all the girls were screaming for sam and not alex after their duet?

• MamaLis says:

^^ @ Teeny. I love the eloquence (and truth!) of your statement! “The hypocrisy does not invalidate the accuracy of their comments.” Beautifully stated!

• Eurydice says:

Oh, they’ve had one constructive comment for CJ, it’s “sing on key.” They say it every single week. And the thing about Jess isn’t that she stands still, it’s that her performances are dead – there’s nothing in her eyes or her body that shows she loves the song she’s performing or that she wants to convey that to the audience. I would say she and Sam have the same issues, except she has much more experience than he does, so I’m not sure what the problem is.

• Matrix says:

@JMay, yes, and the way to make sure she DOESN’T relax is to constantly criticize her and nitpick. Why can’t they encourage her like they do with CJ and others? They have basically been teaching CJ how to sing on key in every episode. I would have thought that was a pre-requisite to making it past auditions. The inconsistency in judging standards is outrageous.

• Tom22 says:

to be fair , this week they criticized CJ pretty firmly on the need to create the excitement of “the arc” of a song. I don’t think they really/only mean building up the song as it goes, but also some of what I described above related to Jessica … they didn’t leave CJ out in terms of criticizing a sense of “action” and the sort of past past. PAST_Perfect (pounding the last more.. not necessarily volume but critically an emphasized emotion separate from the first parts of the refrain. (of course specifics will vary song to song) . It isn’t “just” pitch they were talking about. However. I would agree the word choice was different and read harsher with Jess. CJ does get the action of the shuffle and rhyhym of the songs though.. so the do feel far less “still” to me… so his critique was logically more limited to one aspect of the “movement” within the song sections.

• Jobless says:

If I’m Jessica, I would just ignore the judges and keep standing in one place with her guitar. Alex and Sam are allowed to do this every week without any complaints from the judges. She just needs to pick songs better suited for her performance style. Call Me and Gunpowder and Lead are two songs that you have to absolutely tear into when you perform them and she’s not that kind of artist at this point in her life. No shame in that, I would tell her to focus on her strengths at this point in the competition.

• Angela says:

The problem is that with Jessica even when she stands still she looks so awkward and uncomfortable. I’m not her biggest fan but she is the hardest to watch. Sam also looks like a deer in the headlights. Alex may stand there behind his guitar but I feel every song. He’s authentic. The way his body moves with his music is just natural. Jessica needs to not think so much about it. She’s told us that this is what she does, she performs for a living. Well if she performs like this no wonder she hasn’t been super successful. She doesn’t have to dance around but she does have to start connecting and feeling the music. I guess that’s what’s missing for me. The closest she got was performing her own song.

• C says:

Someone moving their legs up and down like they have to go to the bathroom is his body moving to the music? What is he singing–a song called “Yellow River”?

• Cher says:

Jessica appears dead from the neck down. And when she does try moving, she is not in sync with the music. Hard to watch.

• Tommyo2000 says:

I have thought about this and jessica should do the following. Some of the judges advice is good. Its not bad advice. The reason people are getting angry is that she gets straight foward advice with no praise on encouragement about what she is doing right. Others get a whole lot of kudo’s and then some advice. This is coming from the producers, trying to tilt the scales they way they want, but in the end Harry isnt wrong.

Therefore she should politlely listen and respond politelty … Then she needs to TAKE CHARGE of their advice by incorporating only what works for her … if “dancing in front of a mirror” does nothing then forget about it. Just do what works for you and ignore the rest. Its her career and not the judges.

• Matrix says:

This is where some mentoring between performances would be helpful and why I prefer the Voice over Idol. I bet you Usher could coach Jess to bring out a much better performance. Randy does absolutely nothing in terms of mentoring from what we have seen.

• Tom22 says:

Absolutely Matrix.. it isn’t really about The Voice format that shows the coaching (the shows should be different and AI has some charm and tradition people love in it’s format). Usher could teach some much in a short time to Jess, and Sam… and all the the others too …. obviously paying what it would take to get Usher and keeping him behind the scenes would be impossible….but the sessions with Jimmy and those he brought in*.. as well as celebrity guest hosts ** also sharing important wisdom certainly helped in the past.

* very likely for relatively modest pay… likely more like the high 4 digit thousands a day.. not 10s of thousands

** the big celebrity guests may or may not have gotten a lot more “pay”.. .but they certainly cost much more… probably more about staging, travel, pay and lodging expenses for their entourage which I’m sure ran into many 10s of thousands. The personal pay portion was probably far far far less than they’d demand for other types of performances but the personal pay-off was selling albums and keeping in the public eye.

• Foxfire says:

Jobless, I have to agree about Jessica. And I love the fact that she always smiles sweetly at the judges while they rip her apart post performance. No matter how hard they try they can’t get a rise out of her. Can’t stand the way they bully her either.

• Foxfire says:

At least when you purchase Jessica’s music you won’t have to see her perform it as well :).
        I still think she is most comfortable performing when behind her guitar and maybe she needs to go back to doing that.

• flutiefan says:

a “beautiful voice”?! with that goat vibrato??? she’s terrible. i have no idea what you’re listening to.

• Erin says:

Well the judges finally got their wish: to push Jessica into the bottom. Now if they would just tell the men (CJ, Alex, Sam) to move around, shuffle, feel the rhythm and so on. Or is moving about rhythmically only required of women? Unbelievable.

• Dot says:

Agree that the judges don’t get on the guys about moving around but their style of singing doesn’t warrant them moving around. Best description was during that “Scripted Dinner” – someone said Alex looked like he had to go to the bathroom the way he was moving his legs!! Actually,Alex never moves. He is boring to listen to AND to watch. He and Sam are “coffee house” singers.

• Karen says:

You can’t tell me that the judges don’t know the results before the show airs. I hate how they pretend certain interactions, responses etc aren’t scripted. I really would like to see truly independant, honest feedback for the contestants, not just regugitating a script. I really had higher hopes for Harry and Keith.

• caligirlki says:

Take that J-Ho!!!

• Kiki says:

Please stop inventing these ridiculous scenarios where the judges have personal vendettas against certain contestants. It makes for good drama here, but it’s not true. Jessica has a beautiful voice, but she’s been given chance after chance to show some stage presence. I remember Carrie Underwood had similar problems–she was also a wooden performer–but she definitely improved. Jessica seems to be getting *worse* when it comes to owning the stage. I think she subconsciously wants to go home to Slapout and her small gigs. She’s comfy with a guitar in her hand, but the woman was not meant to sell out concerts.

• Yo says:

Carrie improved after she left Idol, not while she was on it. Jessica should be given that chance.

• Kiki says:

Jessica IS being given that chance! Heck, Simon said horrible things about Carrie, even though he knew all along she was going to win (according to quotes from him later)! Carrie heard much worse than what Jess is getting. Simon hated how Carrie squatted. He basically also told her she showed no personality. He was much more brutal than these three judges. But no one cried that there was a freaking conspiracy. I really abhor that attitude, but unfortunately, Michael started the trend himself with Haley R. I know nurturing such conspiracy theories on a forum like this gives the group who comes here regularly a sense of unity and identity. But it’s dangerous for Michael because that sort of practice weakens his brand as a reliable reviewer. And the only person I see ever standing up to him is Melinda, which is why she needs to stay on board. Michael and his over-the-top hatred of Randy is another thing that’s eventually going to cause HIM trouble as a journalist, not Randy. I do believe reviewers need to have opinions, but when they go to overzealous lengths to condemn someone, the brand is weakened. So every time you talk about these conspiracies against Jessica, you’re helping to define who Michael is on TVLine. I, for one, hope he maintains the relatively good balance he has now–I don’t want to see him become an outlier as a reviewer, one who’s only followed by conspiracy theorists. Michael, rein it in, man. And I hope everyone here does, too.

• waterbug says:

I could not agree more! Thank you for the dose of sanity.

• karen says:

The Haley R conspiracy was a little maddening toward the end of her run on Idol, to be sure, but I was Team Haley from the very beginning of her audition and Michael Slezak did not get on board with Haley until much, much later. I couldn’t believe how dismissive he was of her on this site early on. It wasn’t until Bennie and the Jets that he became a believer.

• Syb says:

LOL. We give the judges so much power while constantly ranting about how wrong they are.

• tealeaves says:

I watch the show with a number of people who never read this site or any other Reality TV sites. They pick up on the judges’ manipulations even quicker than I do. They comment on it during the show and then I read online that many others notice the same things.

• flutiefan says:

very well said, Kiki.
            and might i add that Carrie’s voice is lightyears beyond Jessica’s. Carrie could always sing the hell out of everything, whereas Jessica only knows how to bleat like a goat.

• Pat says:

I enjot the way you think………it is exciting to read a comment such as yours…..no pressure but could you continue to shed light when required…….

• Grandma Jane says:

I agree. Not a big Jess fan, but Carrie had no stage presence and Bo Bice had great presence. I loved him. Look how THAT turned out! Wish I liked Jessica’s voice because I get that she’s talented. Don’t get the judges reaction to her compared to the other contestants, which I believe is all people are complaining about. The actual critisism is warrented, just the lack of praise where that is warrented too.
          Happy to see Dexter go. I had it in for him since he wore the BBFF hat!!
          ( bang bang flop flop). Really? That’s just SICK.

• C says:

I totally disagree. Jessica has moved around more onstage the last two weeks. Just because she doesn’t “shuffle” or do it the way Harry thinks it should be done doesn’t mean she isn’t improving. And, as has been pointed out over and over, why don’t they get on Alex for doing the same thing? I get NOTHING in the way of emotion from his songs–facial or otherwise.

• Kiki says:

Said with respect for your opinion, but I believe that moving around looking lost isn’t “improving.” That’s why Jessica is getting criticism–she looks totally out of her element. Alex looks *focused.* Alex is creating a cozy world of artistry in that tiny sphere of his.

Jessica reminds me of someone hanging off the edge of a cliff by her fingernails. I ADORE her voice. But she needs confidence. The other one like her is Sam. Sam needs life experience. I love him, too. What talents they both are! But he needs a huge boost of confidence. I think he’ll get that in a few years, and he’ll come out of the blue and we’ll be amazed at the transformation.

• Tom22 says:

@c see my long post above if you’d like to hear a “take” on how a country artist uses the “shuffle” even when you might not hear it… it is everywhere in country music, but in a different way than R&B as it tends to be within a straighter tempo, used by artists to emphasize emotion within a word . At least I take a stab at trying to express my thoughts at it that might slightly make the judges comments sound a bit more fair..(emphasis on “bit”… the duet treatment and facial expressions at results were over the top in a strange way for me).

• Matrix says:

That’s fine. Then the same standard should be applied to every contestant. CJ has been given chance after chance to sing in tune. Despite what the judges say, he’s still a train wreck vocally. Why don’t they continue to point that out?

• CaliGirl says:

Yeah, right. And they didn’t pick on Haley either. LOL.

• Terry says:

True they unfairly picked on Haley but what it caused Haley to do was come back with fierce standing-o worthy performances. I can’t see Jessica ever giving a performance worthy of a standing-o and honestly I don’t think the judges criticism in Jessica’s case is unfair. She’s not showing her personality in her performances at all, or maybe she is and her personality really is just a bland blank wall. At any rate, I can see the script unfolding, next week Jessica will perform the same old disconnected way she always has and the judges will shower her the praise and then she’ll be eliminated.

• CJSchu says:

I didn’t see the No Way. What I did see was a rather loud and exaggerated “That’s Right!” from JLo when Jessica was sent to the bottom two instead of Sam. I’m just waiting for next week when they walk up and just push Jess off the stage.

• Mike says:

You Bet!! And Jennifer’s face?? She got this disgusted frown for just a second!! Man they are out to sabotage her!! They want her off the show! I just wish they’d quit telling her how much they LOVE her before tearing her up every week. They oughta at least be honest about it!! I liked these 3 at first…..but I think I’m over it!!

• Christine says:

Yes – I agreed with him.

2. Danny says:

I’m ok with Dexter going. I thought CJ and Sam should have been the bottom 2, but I can live with Dexter. In Jessica’s case I sort of wish she had been let go. I like her. I think she’s a top 4 this year. I just don’t think she’ll win and therefore wouldn’t have to be singled out again.

I found it interesting that 75% of the country thought it was the right bottom 2. Apparently the rest of the country doesn’t view things like this board does. I’m glad they didn’t ask the judges if it was the right bottom 2. I’m willing to bet they would have said something like “Jessica belongs there, Dexter doesn’t.”

3. Lisa says:

One Karaoke boy eliminated. Next is the pretty puppet.

4. karenb says:

I told you guys that Jessica would be safe!

• Danny says:

You did. But she just barely made it. Still, I guess safe is safe. Sam was actually out and providing that Idol is honest with the vote totals like they always are, Sam hasn’t gotten a whiff of the bottom 3.. oops, bottom 2.. since then.

• Tess says:

My guess is they’re already sharpening the knives for next week and trying to figure out how else they can make her out to be the worst thing to happen to reality singing competition shows. Next week’s theme includes the 2 genres in her wheelhouse so you know they will say they’re disappointed she didn’t kill it like they thought she should while handing out effusive praise to the others for just showing up. Let’s face it, the fix is in to get Jess out so no matter what she does she will be hated for it and the judges’ will make her feel their wrath for surviving this week anyway, so hopefully she’ll just say eff it and do what she wants and stops trying to please them because she’s never going to win them over – it’s not in the script.

• LeahKittyS says:

They may be sharpening their knives, but Jess has a gun. She’s sung about it twice. She’ll be there longer than the producers would like (because we all know it is the producers paying the judges extra to take her out; no way Keith would put the hate on a country girl with no incentive like that).

• Mary says:

I love Jess Beautiful voice but she is hard to watch. I give her credit for trying but at this point I am not sure she is able to break away from her mentality of a bar appearance. If possible she needs to pick a good song, this week definitely was not, that she can really relate too and sing the heck out of it with some emotion and movement. It might be hard for her if it is not her own material but there must be a song out there that she feels deeply about it. I can’t argue about the judges because they are correct in there critiques. I want Jess to make it to the end, but something is not connecting.

• Mike says:

I totally agree!!!

5. rod says:

I was kinda surprised to see Dexter on the bottom 2. I was sure this was CJ`s week to go.
    Well, lets hope next week is the one.

6. MAB says:

I am happy it wasn’t Jessica who went home. It would have caused a revolt against the judges.

• MamaLis says:

IF I was a reality conspiracy theorist, which of course I’m not ;) I would think that they ARE planning a Jessica exit. However, knowing the public was a little upset by the perceived injustice of her critiques, they placed her at #2 rather than full-blown Gone. With a week to process that “she’s in the bottom,” next week won’t seem as harsh.

And so the story goes….

• Mary says:

The judges don’t vote and if America has to be led on who to root for, then there is a problem. I honestly think America voted on performances this week and she was one of the weakest. I was a sad but not shocked she was in the bottom. I could name a couple of guys who should be there but it is what is.

7. Kristi says:

I’m actually surprised that Dexter is gone. Usually those country boys from the south make it pretty far, regardless of vocal ability. Then again, WHY is CJ still here???

• Danny says:

They’re splitting the Alabama vote. I had thought Dexter would crack what had been the top 4. Now I’m starting to think CJ will. I’m not fully of that opinion quite yet but I’m starting to think it could happen.

• Stormy says:

He’s also the only person of color left. That counts, too.

• karyn says:

As ridiculous as this should be, I think CJ benefitted from having his little boy on the show. Given that his personality is his strongest selling point, adding in a cute kid was icing on the cake.

• MamaLis says:

Ridiculous? Ummm… that happened.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Hey, I have a sparkling personality. I’m trying out for Idol! Yay!
          Oh wait – I am nearly 60. uh…nevermind.

• LeahKittyS says:

Wait, if you’re 60 years old, then that means your twin sister Darcy is also 60. And she’s lusting after men who aren’t even 30 yet? Eek!

• MamaLis says:

@ Leah…. the Sluttier Twin is clearly joking around. Wait ’till your 60….. !!

#2. “eek?” 60-year old men not only lust after 30-year woman ALL the time, they MARRY them on a regular basis!!!!! LoL

• LeahKittyS says:

“60 year old men marry 30 year old women on a regular basis.” To which I also say, eek!

• marie says:

@LeahSKitty, you’re a sweetheart and from all I read here a good and kind-hearted person, but your “eeks” are a little unwarranted. I’m over 60 and I can tell you, it may be “getting up there” as they say, but it’s not DEAD. Nothing wrong with appreciating an attractive adult of any age, AT any age. It’s really quite normal. Should I suddenly find a way to force myself to stop enjoying looking at, oh, say, Adam Levine or Natalie Portman or Bruno Mars just because I’m much older than they are? Doesn’t work that way. And who does it hurt?
            That said, my sympathies to slutty twin. I thought this be CJ’s week to leave, but somehow he managed to sing mostly in tune and I guess that, plus his undeniably sweet personality, bought him another week. I mostly enjoyed Dexter’s performances; he may not be the most original country singer I ever heard, but he was always at least solid. I don’t think he would have won, so I guess finishing 7th is not too shabby.

• LeahKittyS says:

It was a joke, Marie. I understand celebrity crushes, I just don’t get it when people in real life can’t go after people their own age.

• marie says:

@LeahSKitty, fair enough. I didn’t realize you were joking: the limitations of these written word vs. real-life contact (but that’s a whole other discussion). In any case, when I read your comments a little further on, then I got the message.

• marie says:

Oh jeez, LeahKittyS, I’ve been reading – thus writing – your name backwards all along, haven’t I! That’s not good and I apologize.

• LeahKittyS says:

No big deal. I call myself this because my middle name is Kate and my last name starts with S, and I love cats. 😄

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Do I detect a hint of disgust in your tone, LeahKittyS?

• LeahKittyS says:

LOL nah, to each their own. I’m asexual, so this whole world is a foreign concept to me.

• Mary says:

Heck he probably will make it to the end, it is obvious the voters don’t care if he sings in tune. I guess with auto tune it doesn’t matter, look at some of today’s stars.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

It’s gotta be his infant child. That was one cute baby last night. And he is improving bit by bit, which can look like significant progress since he started out being pretty terrible. I can’t believe he actually makes the top 4, though.

8. LeahKittyS says:

And now, a continuation of “American Idols and the Treasure of the Twelve Kingdoms”

(Scene: the island of Solumager. The seven remaining adventures continue through the jungle. They stay close together and keep alert.)
    Sam: I hope Malaya made it back to Valtus all right.
    Alex: I’m sure she’ll be fine. Now keep your eyes open. We’re looking for a carving of an indigo star.
    Jessica: Found it.
    (She stops and points, and the others look in the bushes at the carving of a star outlined in indigo. They pass through the gate and enter the kingdom. The sky is gray, and the buildings are all locked tight.)
    Jena: This doesn’t look very inviting.
    Caleb: (reading the plaque on the beacon tower) “Here stands the beacon of the kingdom of Dungene, domain of Queen Jordin and her keeper, the High Lord Blake.”
    C.J.: Keeper? How old was she when she took the throne?
    Dexter: Only 17, I think. But she was a good a queen as any of them. Now, who’s got the map?
    Alex: It’s right here. (Takes out the map and reads) “In the lowest, darkest place in all the land, you will find the treasure in the thief’s hand.”
    Jena: Thief? You mean someone tried to take the treasure before?
    Alex: Yeah, remember the story? The court jester Charles, or Chuckles as they called him, tried to take it in the middle of the night. But Lady Melinda caught him, and then the queen had him arrested.
    Sam: That’s right. And to keep him from going nuts, she let him hold on to it, since there was nothing he could do with it locked up.
    Jessica: So you’re saying the treasure will be with the jester, or his skeleton now, in the palace dungeon?
    Alex: That’s what I’m saying. Let’s go!
    (They run up to the palace and make their way down to the dungeon. It is cold and dark. There are chains on the walls and cobwebs all around. There are also some odd looking tables.)
    Alex: Oh, God, tell me those aren’t racks!
    C.J.: Man, this isn’t really what you picture when you think about Queen Jordin.
    Caleb: It was mostly Blake and the other lords who ran this place. Jordin and her ladies did the upstairs work.
    Dexter: Makes sense to me. Hide the treasure in the last place anyone would think to look.
    Jena: Guys, I think I found our jester.
    (The others point their flashlights at the skeleton. It is wearing a faded court costume and jester’s hat. Jena reaches into its hand and picks up the golden key. Suddenly the skeleton starts rattling, and she screams. She and Caleb then proceed to beat it down until it is still. Jessica keeps a sharp eye on it.)
    Jena: It’s a beautiful key…but what does it open?
    Alex: Maybe it’s the key to her heart. She never did marry.
    Sam: Or there’s another vault somewhere in the palace. Maybe she’s got a secret stash of gold or jewels–
    Jessica: Or weapons. Girlfriend seems to be full of surprises.
    Jena: It’s probably a candy stash. Everybody has one.
    (A crash and a bang can be heard upstairs.)
    Jessica: Well, we won’t find out now. Let’s get out of here!
    Jena: But they’re in the palace! How will we get past them?
    Dexter: With guns blazing, that’s how! (Pulls out his gun)
    Jessica: (Pulls our her own gun) I can help you out there.
    C.J.: Great. But who’s staying in the beacon tower?
    Caleb: After the incident with Sam, I don’t want to leave any of the kids behind.
    Alex: But you can’t stay behind, man. We need you. You’re big and strong.
    Dexter: Tell you what, I can take ‘em if things get ugly. Caleb, you fight in my place, and I’ll take the key to the beacon tower.
    (The pirates start shouting.)
    Caleb: Fine. (Draws his sword) Let’s do this!
    (Jessica and Caleb run out, wielding their respective weapons.)
    Caleb: Ruffians! En Garde!
    (The pirates rush at them, and they engage in battle. Caleb hacks and slashes and Jessica fires at everything moving in front of them.)
    Jessica: Take that, you thugs! And that!
    (The others duck out and run to the beacon tower. They see Dexter to the top, leave him with some of the food and fuel, and lock the door as they leave. When Caleb and Jessica emerge from the palace, they all take off running. Sam takes out the map.)
    Sam: We’re more than halfway there, guys. We just have to keep pushing on!
    TO BE CONTINUED…

9. CK says:

“Every time Keith Urban mentions “Nic,” I’m like ooh, who’s your husband? ” Soo much shade. I love it. Could you do joint recaps with Slezak?

10. Melanie says:

I know you guys are all okay with Dexter leaving, but I’m genuinely upset. I really like Dexter’s voice and his performance last night (even if it was a little mushy). These last couple of weeks have been good for him. I mean sure, he’s karaoke. But I’ll take that over the stoic and the horrendous. I’m sad to see him go before CJ and Sam.

• Danny says:

Melanie- He’s a nice enough guy. No one’s disputing that. Yea he should have stuck around longer than CJ and Sam. In the end though it’s going to be about Caleb, Jena, and Alex.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I thought Dexter sang the heck out of the goodbye song. Classy dude til the end. I kind of wanted Jess to go…. At least he’ll get to go on tour. I’m sure he’ll get a kick out of that.

• MamaLis says:

He sure as heck wore his potential exit better than Jessica did!!!
        DAGGERS, I tell you, daggers.
        ~
        (I mean, “The inJUSTICE of Jessica being placed in the Bottom Two is just intolerable,” said Jessica to Jessica.)

• AlyB says:

I thought she looked rather stoic up there. None of them look all happy when they’re sitting in those chairs. Why should they? The sinister words you ascribe to her are just what you imagine them to be and your imagination is clearly colored by the way the show had been painting her. Is she all sweetness and light? No, but I like that about her.

• Var says:

She had a right to look ticked off because she’s been treated unfairly. I’ll take that look over a phony smile any day.

• MamaLis says:

Jess “had a right to be ticked off because she was treated unfairly?”
            Wow. Just wow.
            Blind spot, meet Group. Group, Blind Spot.

• marie says:

I totally agree about Dexter, Teeny.

11. Mark says:

I’m relieved. My biggest fear was a CJ elimination clearing the path for Dexter to breeze into the finale.

12. Wendy says:

I cry foul! CJ had 1 good night vocally, Dexter may have been Karaoke but at least he sang on key. I continue to insist that even though CJ sings with heart, none of the people voting are actually going to purchase any of his songs.. Nobody cares that you sing with heart when buying the next great song..

• Lynn says:

He’s autotuned just like Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and 95 percent of the music today. Most of today’s “singers” couldn’t sing in tune live to save their lives.

• Danny says:

@Lynn- Are you sure Taylor Swift is auto tuned? I had thought she was natural. When she sings, there’s flaws. I’m ok with that. I’m just thinking for that reason she was not auto tuned.

Katy is, Taylor is not.

• Lynn says:

Taylor is autotuned to the max. check out her live performances: Grammys 2010 Her AMA performance of I knew you were trouble. She can’t sing live, folks.

• OhMy says:

At all.

• LeahKittyS says:

My mother and sister have seen her in concert. They beg to differ.

• Danny says:

Lynn, I’m not a huge Swift fan, so I’m not checking out a ton of her performances. What I’m saying is the times I have seen her, there’s been flaws in her singing. That’s what made me think she wasn’t auto tuned. If she’s singing perfectly, then yea she probably is. I haven’t seen any of those perfect performances though, just a few where there were flaws.

• Danny says:

A lil add on- The last time I saw her sing was w/ Stevie Nicks. That was a few years ago. That wasn’t auto tuned. She def. had some rough patches.

• Lynn says:

She’s autotuned on her CDs, just as CJ is on his iTunes. I was addressing my comment to the original comment that people want to listen to songs of people who can sing in tune rather than someone who just sings with feeling and can connect to a song. People can and do purchase songs from artists who cannot sing in tune live, i.e. Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. That said, I definitely wanted CJ to leave tonight.

13. Lynn says:

More Alabama votes for CJ. Does Idol feel no shame whatsoever in having someone in the top 6 who cannot sing in tune?

14. Annie says:

“The House That Kelly Clarkson Built For Carrie Underwood” HAHA YES!

• Carol says:

Yes, Kelly built the house and busted down all the doors for the others to have success. They should kiss her feet.

• LeahKittyS says:

Kelly did pave the way, but a lot of the others are talented in their own respects. If you want to see her, Carrie, and the others do something really badass, look in the comment section on finale night for the final installment of “Treasures of the Twelve Kingdoms!” I’ve had it planned for a while. It’s something nobody saw coming.

15. mydoctor93 says:

SO GLAD that Jessica stayed! Now I fear for her safety next week though because she was in the B2…

• Jerry says:

She will probably have a “sympathy bounce”.

Somehow when only a bottom 2 is announced, the other person in the bottom 2 that survives won’t hit the bottom 2 the next week (often, but not always) because that person’s fanbase is the only person out of those remaining to get a “shock” to vote harder. Bottom 3 distracts the people a bit more, and while there is a sympathy bounce, it might not be that effective.

• Dexter Roberts says:

Unless their name was Majesty Rose lol

• Jerry says:

But Majesty didn’t go home the next week after the first time she was in the bottom 2. She went home 2 weeks later.

I think it’s precisely because she was bottom 2 in Top 11, that she lasted until Top 9. If the producers only mentioned that Ben Briley is going home without revealing the bottom 3, and that she survived by 0.07%, she would very likely be going home in Top 10 instead?

16. Adam Fachry says:

If CJ didn’t go home next week, he would dethrone Lazaro as the most undeserved contestant to overstay their welcome. Jessica on the bottom over him and Sam shows how successful the judges’ strategy is to get her out of the competition. Hang in there and pull a Haley, Jess. Give them and the producers a major FU for outlasting Sam and Alex.

• Danny says:

Adam- I like the idea but a few things. First of all I’m not so sure Jessica has that fighting spirit Haley had. Second I don’t think she’s by far the best of her season like Haley was. I’m thinking it might be better for her if she gets voted off.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Yes. Vote her off. She always looks miserable. It’s becoming a drag to watch. And no, she’s no Haley. Haley could sing and work a stage.

• Adam Fachry says:

You both do have some good points. It almost seems like Jess is giving what the judges want her to give, which is a defeatist attitude that would break her down even more. Her introverted persona which some view as dejected demeanor would be her own demise. But that’s also why I want her to toughen up. Don’t fall into these manipulative jusges and producers’ trap. If she is going to be eliminated at least, please do present the best version of herself, so much so that JLo, Keith, and Harry would find themselves struggling to criticize her without sounding like a fool.

• tvlover44 says:

i like the way you’re thinking and could get behind her doing this! i think she’s deliberately smiling and not reacting to their comments because she’s determined not to let them get to her (and perhaps she’s also trying to keep her emotions in check – it can’t be fun to be eviscerated like that almost every week, with not even any smaller positive remarks to balance out the criticism). maybe she needs to do something more like that ‘crow’ song she did earlier on – that seemed to impress everyone (including me). will be watching her performances next week with interest and cheering her on to succeed in a way that challenges the judges’ attempts to slam her.

• jane says:

Umm..Michael Lynche??? Check him out on itunes, he definitely overstayed his welcome! And so did Gokey!!!! I will never get over him taking that 3rd spot from Allison. Scream On Gokey!

• LeahKittyS says:

I was surprised and upset to see Allison and Siobhan go home respectively before Danny and Michael, but I don’t think they were terrible offenders. The ones who really overstayed their welcome were Sanjaya, Kristy Lee, Syesha (sorry, folks, she did nothing for me), Paige, Tim, Jacob, and Lazaro.

• Jerry says:

I don’t think Syesha is that outstanding, but I can’t really recall she being the worst performer of any night, to deserve to go home before the top 3. The only time I think she could have been the worst performer of the night is maybe Top 8?

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Syesha should have gone home the first time she was in the bottom three. Kristy Lee should have finished dead last, behind Michael, Ramiele, Chikezie, Amanda and David H.

• LeahKittyS says:

I will say, however, that I bought and enjoyed her post-Idol album. Some of the tracks were really cheesy, but she sure can sell it.

• LeahKittyS says:

Kristy Lee, that is. I’m a sucker for country music, especially by women.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

What swayed you to buy her album? Coat of Many Colors? God Bless America, perhaps?

• LeahKittyS says:

It was because I didn’t go to se the tour that year. I didn’t go because Season 6 was my very first Idol tour and I didn’t want to “override the memory” of it, but t felt bad for missing it because I liked a lot of those contestants. So I bought the debut albums from the touring finalists who made them: Davids Cook and Archuleta, as well as Jason, Brooke (“Songs From the Attic,” I couldn’t wait that long for “High Hopes and Heartbreak”), Michael, Kristy Lee, and Carly with We Are the Fallen. I loved them all.

• LeahKittyS says:

And I am grateful to her for introducing me to the song “Coat of Many Colors.” It is now the cover that my family loves best when I play guitar and sing. That whole week really got me into Dolly Parton.

• deedee says:

Aww, all those names bring back such great memories. Season 7 is my all time favourite.

• Name This Tune says:

You realize that Syesha is touring in the musical The Book of Mormon? And she is great?

• LeahKittyS says:

Maybe she’s great now, but she wasn’t great then. A lot of contestants improve when they’re off the show. On TV, she came across as shout and trying too hard for the longest time. I’m sorry, that’s just how I feel.

• GuitarBlue says:

For us guys, Kristy Lee was at least eye candy. Anyway, her album sold more than Candice Glove’rs first release album.

• LeahKittyS says:

Another album I bought and enjoyed, though not as much. I don’t care for R&B, but Candice has a special voice that just sticks with you. Plus, I have the albums from all the other winners; my collection would have felt incomplete without Candice’s.

• MamaLis says:

Um… ???? Candice Glover just released her album a couple months ago didn’t she? Give her a year dude.

• Adam Fachry says:

With all due respect, Leah. I have to disagree with you on syesha overstaying her welcome. Her potential is miles ahead of Lazaro’s, CJ’s, Sanjaya’s, and Danny’s combined. I think among the powerhouse, diva-esque contestants she’s one of the most underrated. She took chances with songs and arrangements that are not necessarily in her wheelhouse (Tobacco Road and Got to Get You Into My Life come to mind). Sure, Michael Johns and Jason castro were much more interesting. But I’m not mad at her for outlasting the overrated, so-called underdog Carly Smithson or the drama queen Brooke whats her name again? She may not be your cup of tea but she’s not comparable to the aforementioned undeserved contestants.

• Name This Tune says:

Adam, I saw Syesha in The Book of Mormon last year. She was great. We get so caught up in the competition that we forget that these kids are really talented.

• Adam Fachry says:

That’s great news! I knew she could do well at musicals since her One Rock ‘n’ Roll Too Many performance. She just seemed in her element that week.

• karyn says:

I completely disagree with you about Carly Smithson, but I don’t think Syesha was terrible either. The week Carly was kicked out over Syesha was the first week of Idol I ever watched and I was outraged b/c it was so obviously wrong based on that week. But then Syesha had a performance a week or two later that was really good (a jazzy lounge number if I recall), so I forgave her.

• CaliGirl says:

For sure Jacob. Fingernails on a chalkboard.

• Adam Fachry says:

There’s some off wording in my original post since I typed it quick before checking everything out again (my bad habit). What I meant by successful was halfway successful. But it seems to me that their strategy is close to the result they want, unless Jess can prove them wrong in a week. I won’t get my hopes up though.

• Mark says:

I think Anthony Federov season 4 beats him. CJ would have to make top 3 to become the most heinous Idol contestant of all time.

• JayNC says:

But then there is Nikki McKibbin, probably the worst #3 finisher ever, followed closely by Jasmine Trias. I would listen to CJ any day over those two.

17. LibbyxD says:

Did Annie write the recap? It says Slezak lol

• Dot says:

It has Annie’s name in the byline. She is filling in for Slezak. Maybe TVLine will hire Annie since EW sucks.

18. Davey says:

CJ is this year ‘s Sanjaya, Haley Scanato rolled into one. I don’t know who’s voting for this guy.

I hate to mean but I hope Jena is the bottom 2 next week so she doesn’t get a swelled head.

19. Angie_Overrated says:

GO, CJ!!! I’m so happy right now. How he manages to not only escape elimination, but also the bottom 2 is kind of crazy. CJ for the win!!

• Teeny Bikini says:

Sarcasm? Me thinks I love it. I like that CJ is having the time of his life. At least someone looks like they’re have fun, besides Jena. It would so funny if he made the Top 4. [insert evil laugh here.]

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh, Teeny. Nothing would make me happier than seeing him make it to the hometown visits (assuming they still have the budget for that). I’d say the odds are very heavily against him even making final 4, but we shall see. He seems like a really nice kid. Can’t sing at all, but hey, he connects, right? :)

• Matrix says:

I’m with Angie. I’m too the point where I’m so disgusted with the inequity in judging that I hope CJ wins the whole thing. American Idol produces an idol that can’t sing. nice job!

20. LADY_in_MD says:

I’m ok with Dexter going but really hope this makes Jessica step it up a little more I love her voice but sometimes she is dead in the face to me she has not emotion towards a song I vote for her every week hoping she gets it but now she’s in the bottom and isn’t holding on CJ should go maybe Sam but I hope Jessica does better next week

• Teeny Bikini says:

It would be nice if this was a wake up call. I hope she really kills her performance week. I think what is so frustrating for me (and maybe the judges) is that there is soooooo much potential there, and she is just not “pushing,” I mean really pushing for it. But so far, I think the judges have been accurate – pretty voice, but flat/lifeless persona.

• Matrix says:

She needs some good coaching to help bring that out. I said this before, but this is where the Voice is superior to Idol.

21. schmed says:

I have have watched every episode of AI in its 13 seasons (save one, when I was on a plane), but I was prepared to pull the plug if Jessica left now. I thought I liked this panel of judges, but their harsh critiques of her are inexplicable when so many of the others deserve much worse. This season the differentiation between AI and The Voice has really become complete. The Voice will favor the journeymen/journeywoman, the never-quite-was etc while AI buys into the unformed youngster motif. AI really doesn’t know what to do with people like Jessica who have a point-of-view and want to keep doing what they’ve been doing. JLo’s comment about Caleb last night was quite telling (“I keep forgetting he’s only 22″). Both shows can (and should) flourish, but the Voice is far more accommodating to the occasional young thing than AI is to conestants who have been around the block.

22. Mary says:

No surprise about Dexter, but I am about Jessica. Wasn’t her best performance but at least she is trying to change it up. I hope next week she just be herself and knocks it out of the ball park. If Sam, Alex and CJ can just stand there so can she. I knew the kid card was going to give CJ another week, that or America really is tone deaf and don’t care if the artist is auto tune. Hopefully next week will be Sam, I am starting to believe CJ will make it to the end. God help us.

• karyn says:

I don’t think Jessica belonged in the bottom 2 but I wasn’t surprised at all by it. A lot of people are sheep and if the judges say she is the worst (as they were clearly saying with their comments last night), people will believe them and vote accordingly. Voters were showing more independent judgment early in the season than they are now.

• Beryl says:

I don’t think the issue is that Jessica just stands there. I think she has some rhythm problems. Yeah, her voice has a great tone to it, and the judges should acknowledge that a hell of a lot more than they ever do. I think the song last night highlighted some of her rhythm problems though, which maybe Harry pointed out a bit more clearly. Alex may stand there but he’s got the rhythm down. Plus, some of Jessica’s songs were made for rocking it out physically too. But, I agree, the judges are just mean to her. How can they find positive things to say about CJ when he’s so out of tune and hardly anything positive to say to Jessica. It’s weird.

• Karen says:

Sam gets dissed by the judges just as much as Jessica, yet nobody here comes to his defense. It’s unfair the way they pick on him for supposly not connecting. He connects as well as anyone else on the show.

23. jane says:

So, why the bottom 2 now? I don’t recall this nonsense so early on! Stop trying to make Sam happen. I’m sure, like last week, that third stool was waiting for him and his ridiculous assortments of hats. I’d rather listen to CJ’s wonky notes than another boring song from the “reincarnated Ricky Nelson.” WTF is up with that? I think Ozzie and Harriet’s kid deserves a better comparison. Sam should go next week, then CJ, then Jessica. I like Jessica. She’s cool and aloof, but I’ve only enjoyed her performance when she sang her original.The final 2 should be Caleb and Alex with Jena finishing a respectable 3rd. Neither Caleb or Alex have been in the bottom 3 which means they must have a good fan base, and I think there’s some history to the winner never being in the bottom ever.

• Tommyo2000 says:

Would guarantee that Sam was in the bottom 3 the past two weeks … They don’t want people to see him still there, they want the illusion that he is gaining .momentum…

• Lynn says:

But he is gaining momentum. Since he was saved, he has outperformed (voting wise, I mean) his competitors, Malaya, CJ, Dexter and Jessica. He was lowest vote getter what, two weeks ago? Last week, he got more votes than Malaya and CJ and got more votes than Dexter and Jessica this week.And for all we know, CJ was in the bottom 3 this week, and Dexter was last week.

• Adam Fachry says:

Hmm Ruben was in the bottom 2 once. Granted his win was controversial. Fantasia was both in the bottom three and two respectively once.

• Teeny Bikini says:

This is spot on. The producers have to/must – I mean I beseech them – to stop trying to make Sam a lady’s man. It is just soooo off the mark, it’s uncomfortable. And you were spot on with Jess too. She peaked at her first song. The rest has been karaoke from the neck up and wooden from the neck down.

• Jerry says:

I think Ruben was in the bottom 2 during Top 5 week. Fantasia was in the bottom 3 during Top 7 and Top 4 weeks, Kris Allen was in the bottom 3 during Top 5 week. I think Candice Glover is in the bottom 2 during top 4 week.

So I guess you can see that most winners don’t end up in the bottom 3 ever, but those that do only end up in the bottom group during about Top 5. Fantasia in the bottom 3 during top 7 is probably more or less due to vote-splitting.

24. darcy the slutty twin says:

While his American Idol journey ended, there are so many great things ahead for Dexter. One of those is me. Dexter will ride his sexy tractor to my house, wearing a tattered wifebeater and too-tight jeans with his sexy butt crack peeking out as I welcome him with open arms, dressed in my best high-waist mom jeans that hug my butt to perfection.

• Kaba says:

I think I felt a synapse snap.
      o.o

• Renee says:

Lol nooooo!! Y’all can take the riding lawn mower to the Sonic and Dexter will take off his cap and put it on top of your aqua net reinforced hair – and you’ll know its true love…

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Oh you know it is! My problem now is breaking the news to Phillip Phillips, Michael Johns, Matt Giraud, Heejun Han and David Cook that Dexter will be joining us in The House That Darcy Built For Studly Idols, and that he’ll be spending the most time with me for the next few weeks. I am certainly looking forward to watching while lounging in my extra-high waist mom jeans, surrounded by my shirtless men. We will be laughing at Jeeena’s fake accent and root for Jessica to win it all!

• Dexter Roberts says:

Hey perdy thang. I may be off the show, but I’ll tell you one thang. Yer not off ma mind ;)

• Karen says:

Annie, you are so busted.

• marie says:

slutty twin, with acknowledgment to your sister, you certainly made me laugh!

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Happy to make you laugh, marie. Just so you know, Dexter is now feeding me Chinese takeout as we lounge in his tractor. He does look particularly fetching in a tattered wifebeater and tight, low waist jeans. I must say I don’t look so bad either in my mom jeans.

• Grandma Jane says:

And shoot little innocent ducks?

25. tealeaves says:

Dexter was the right one to go home this week.
    I think this is a very strong top 6. IMO CJ and Sam both had their best live performances this week. I think this was my favorite week for Caleb, also.
    I was not happy to see Jessica in the bottom for the first time. But since Cj and Sam both had good weeks, it was not that shocking. I hope Jessica picks 2 great songs next week so she can make it into the top 5.

26. McFudge says:

I can’t figure out the Alex love. His voice is good enough, I guess. He just doesn’t strike me as someone I’d pay money to hear.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I like him. He’s interesting and creative. But I think he has to learn how to look comfortable and stop grimacing on camera. I get that he doesn’t like the interviews, but fake it already. Practice in the mirror. Something. Anything.

• Beryl says:

A lot of famous musicians are totally shy and awkward. We want to listen to a creative and musical genius, not a social butterfly.

• MamaLis says:

:-) I actually think he’s come a long way. And I don’t think it’s that he doesn’t like interviews. I get the sense he’s just ernest and not used to the attention yet. When he finished his song yesterday and was taking in the applause – he was sincerely BEAMING. That was so much more than he ever did in the beginning. It was sweet.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

I think that’s just his resting face.

• AlyB says:

I think people appreciate that he’s a gifted musician. He is and he has a decent enough voice. I don’t care for his creative choices. Instead of taking a song that’s already happy, sweet and adding some musical complexity to it, he keeps taking darker, edgier songs and turning them into perky little numbers. Even when the lyrics don’t fit at all. Maybe next week we’ll get the easy listening, happy melody version of Black Sabbath’s War Pigs.

• Mary says:

I’m with you, I actually do not like his voice. I think he is creative but no way would I spend money to see him.

• marie says:

I was just thinking recently that Alex is the only contestant whose music I’ll be interested in checking out after the season ends. My wife may want to hear what Caleb produces.

27. M says:

If Jess sings “Not Ready to Make Nice” I’ll be content next week..
    Or (for some odd reason) I’m feeling she should go full on angry and tackle Pinks “You and Your Hand” lol. It’s edgy, to say the least.
    Glad she survived this tornado…
    Meanwhile CJ is only getting stronger.

28. Kaba says:

Glad Jess dodged a bullet/bus.
    I’m blaming Angie_overrated (and anyone else voting for a good drunken laugh) for __’s prolonged stay lol.
    I just need Jess to go all out and just entirely let go next week. I’ll be a-ok.
    Meanwhile….the only absolute dead weight is __ honestly. Sam is a bit of dead weight, but I see hope in him.. __ I do not. Just shredded ears on my end.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Can’t blame me. I doubt my types of votes even make up half a percent of what __’s getting. People apparently like him for the right reason. Trust me, I don’t get it either.

• Kaba says:

It’s amazing how this stuff works out, right? VFTW is disbanded and somehow this guy is still thundering through. Either they never mattered to begin with, or they all instinctively knew who was the worst and still carry on the tradition in the safety of their own homes haha.
        I can only imagine what week __ is gonna finally kick the idol bucket…
        Unless, SURPRISE. He’s our season 14 champion.
        I think I’d be right there with you roaring with laughter while inhaling drinks all night if that was the turnout.

• Kaba says:

*season 13 champion lol whoops

• Angie_Overrated says:

That will never happen, but man oh man would that be hilarious. I would die laughing.
          I don’t think it’s the VFTW crowd. I honestly believe that some people like him. Even on these message boards you read about people saying how he connects better to them than anyone else. Seriously. I know. It’s a tough pill to swallow, but there it is.

• LeahKittyS says:

There are people who legitimately like him. My grandfather liked C.J., Dexter, and Jessica from the start. He does not like Caleb at all, and he always preferred Danny over Adam in Season 8. (He’s from Missouri, if that means anything). Grandma gravitates more towards Alex and Sam. That does not surprise me.

• P2, Michael, Matt, Heejun, and David says:

Oh god. More of that “he connects” crap.
            I didn’t know so many people were capable of connecting with consistently out of tune notes.
            I don’t connect, I wince/cringe/cry. If anything I connect myself with the phone to call the police and claim I’m being assaulted.
            I need to meet these people that like him..

• Kaba says:

“People like him”
            These are dark times. Though true -____-

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yup, Leah. That makes sense. My grandparents are no longer living, but I’m sure if they were they’d also be voting for CJ. Ok, not my one grandma as she was CRAZY racist, but the other 3 yes. Not everyone can tell when someone’s out of tune, and I can see how his earnestness would appeal to some people, particularly the older crowd.
            Read the board the last several weeks. I’ve seen posts like “I don’t understand why the judges say he’s out of tune. I think he sounds great. And I’ll take him over someone who screams loud and waves her arms like Sisaundra on The Voice.” Not making this up. People have been saying these things.
            And there you have it. That is why CJ is in our final 6. Don’t blame the voting public. Blame the judges and producers for letting him get there in the first place.

• flutiefan says:

sorry, kid, i like him. i like his voice, his style. i’m a 38 yr old white chick in NYC, so i’m not a “grandfather from Missouri”, whatever that means. i way preferred Danny over Adam, too…. Danny had a wonderful voice, no matter how cheesy he was. Dexter was karaoke, but could carry a tune. JESSICA CANNOT. that chick is terrible. i hope CJ outlasts her and Sam (another one who never should’ve made it this far).

• Angie_Overrated says:

Not a kid, flutie. I’m basically your age in NYC myself. And you obviously have no music background if you think Jessica can’t carry a tune and CJ can. One can sing in pitch, while the other cannot. Pretty simple calculus here.

29. j says:

Hope to see Jess come out and give great performances. She should use this as motivation.

30. jsum says:

I think Jess will come back strong with some fire for country and rock week next week and will stick it to the producers! With having to strain through 2 songs next week, CJ with his performance stankface just may crap his pants trying to stay on pitch (though I scarily could see Dexter’s bro Bama votes going his way and him somehow making it to the top 5). Sam needs to go asap because I will be bored to tears with 2 coffeehouse performances apiece from him and Alex. If they could just eliminate both CJ and Sam next week that would be great (though generic, Dexter deserved to outlast them both). Jena, Jess, Caleb, and Alex for top 4!

• Stormy says:

Re: Coffeehouse performances. Just make a fresh pot, add a generous dollop of a really fine brandy [or a double shot of Bushmills], take a sip every time the camera goes to JLo and relax. I promise you it works.

• Mary says:

She needs to pick the CORRECT song. This week song was not it. I appreciate the effort by I was worried, with good reason, she wasn’t going to pull that song off. You can blame the judges all you want but it wasn’t a good performance.

31. Tim says:

Jessica must have been mean to J-Lo’s puppies or something.

32. :( says:

I can’t even take this show seriously anymore. CJ safe? Really? Just because CJ wasn’t as bad as he normally is, shouldn’t fish him out of the bottom 2? Plus it’s so obvious who that third stool belongs too..Also, I have a feeling that Jessica really wasn’t the second lowest vote getter. The judges and producer are doing everything to get rid of her. Lastly, I’m tired of the whole Jena and Caleb are the only good ones. Jena had a good performance last night, but the over praise for these two is ridiculous. Would love to see one of them take a stool next week. Sorry I needed to get that off my chest

33. Carol says:

If Jess gets voted out before CJ I swear I will start voting for him. Since that’s what they claim they want then I’ll give it to them.

• Lynn says:

Perhaps this is what Majesty’s, Malaya’s and MK’s fans have been doing. It would explain him defying the odds every week.Now Dexter’s fans will join in.

• The Beach says:

I think you are correct that CJ will pick up quite a few votes from his homeboy Dexter’s fans. They’ve always seemed really tight so I’ll bet that happens.

34. Jill Moya says:

What’s all this praise for Jessica? She needs to go. Terrible screeching voice who looks like nothing, and she has a terrible disposition. Dexter was no prize either. They were the right 2 in the bottom but Jess was the worst of the 2! She’s got to be one of the worst top 6 on Idol…Ever. Dexter, Jess and CJ shouldn’t have made the top 30. I’m sorry I’m so blunt but these are my opinions and I’ve heard a lot of music for many, many years. None of these performers will have good music careers. I hope the show’s producers are happy with these judges! How are these the best out of America, tens if thousands of contestants! The shiw’s ratings are terrible because of this karaoke talent (personally I’ve heard better karaoke singers than these 6.

35. AJ says:

I love Annie and need her recaps in my life.

Please join TV Line and make my life.

Ausiello, you listening?!?!?

36. T says:

Not only did the judges trash Jessica, the producers did their bit too. How about them showing the clips from Hollywood week where Jessica messed up her song in the group round and that interaction with the crazy mom? She got the “bitch edit” then, and they brought it back last night just to remind us. I was worried that she’d end up on the bottom early on because of that, and was happy to see America voting her through in the early rounds despite it.

37. Kaba says:

Oh well, the week is over and I no longer care about AI atm.
    I’m just gonna go prepare to be brought back to life after having it ended by Sisaundra come monday night.

38. GuitarBlue says:

There are a good number of Pro singers and some “Stars” that do not do run-around the stage during their performances, or try to out-do Lady Ga Ga or Mick Jagger. P squared also mostly stands or sits and plays guitar and has been very successful since idol…..

Music buyers of an album or download from itunes, are listening to the singing voice of someone standing by the microphone, not running-around to please the judges or excite the audience.

There have been many crowd pleaser’s from past talent shows that did not go very far with music sales once off the weekly tube. At some point, you have to have a good and special voice for the genre and the buyers of that genre.

Unless, of course, you are mostly famous as a dancer, then you can get auto-tuned for danceable music, and it all works.

If someone is extra good, even if they finished 10th, a label would want to invest in them. .

• karenb says:

I’ve seen Phillip Phillips twice in concert. He didn’t sit down once. And crazy to say-but he really rocks out in his shows. No one would’ve guessed it.

• MAB says:

I know it has been said before but Phillip Phillips was really sick during his whole season of Idol and was in a tremendous amount of pain. Right after Idol he had major surgery to correct his kidney problems. We never really got the full extent of his talent until Idol was over and he started doing concerts after he regained his health.

• GuitarBlue says:

True, and PP did not do a lot of antics on the show, to win the show.
          I was at a college area bar one night during PP’s season, maybe about top 9 or 8 phase on the show. I brought-up to a table of college girls, a question about who they liked on Idol.

Their faces lit-up and it was like one screaming voice as they said “PHILLIP”. He could sit and play guitar, sing whatever he wanted, and they were going to vote for him, period. And, he was the most independent, least prone to be pushed into the “Idol mold” of that season.

• MAB says:

Phillip is my favorite Idol of all time because he was so true to himself. I never forget when the fashion designer told him he should never wear grey on stage and he came out in a double layer of grey the next performance. They tried so hard to change him and he always smiled politely but did his own thing anyway. Plus he never used his illness as an excuse to win votes. I love Phillip because he is so real and does not have a phony bone in his body. He was true to himself yet humble. I remember him saying that he was not a good singer and praised both Jessica and Joshua for their voices. He was shocked when he won. He truly is the full package and should be an inspiration to the contestants.

• The Beach says:

And for the ones who do run around the stage, bending over and high-fiving with the crowd, don’t the vocal coaches tell them it messes with their pitch? It takes someone, like Caleb, with a really strong voice to be able to pull that off.

39. Sandie says:

I would like to hear Sam sing “Lonesome Town” by Ricky Nelson.
    I think it’ll really give him a big boost!

• GuitarBlue says:

I think you are right, that song would be a good one for him, would be a different feel from what the others will probably do.

• Dot says:

That’s IF the viewing audience recognize the song!! I would also go for “Teenage Idol” by Nelson, too, for Sam to do. It would play into the BS that the judges keep saying the teen girls like him.

40. GuitarBlue says:

Itunes top 400 chart tonight:

Jena – “Creep” #38
    Alex – “A Team” #121
    Sam – “Sail Away” #160
    Caleb – “Family Tree #211

• Lynn says:

There’s your top 4 right there. I must admit, I enjoyed Caleb’s “Family Tree” studio performance.. While I think Jena and Alex’s iTunes are good, I always enjoy their live performances more than their studio recordings.

41. Karen says:

Jessica is the pariah of this season…the Haley Reinhart of Season 13. As others have pointed out, the judges are just so obvious in their contempt for her. I don’t get it. I just hope the voters are as smart as they were with Haley and can see through the judges’ attempt to manipulate the vote. It was actually similar with Elise Testone. I really wish these judges would honestly judge. They are puppets of the producers. Jessica has a great voice…just needs a better stage presence. I will be pissed if she goes before CJ and Sam. I’m not all that fond of Caleb either….same performance every time.

• Lynn says:

Why do people continue to compare Jess to Haley? Haley knew how to perform. Her final 3 performance with her dad of Zeppelin was fantastic, no way could Jess pull that off. Besides, the judges have nothing to do with the treatment she is getting from the production staff. Look how they dress her and style her hair. And then add in those clips from group week, and let her talk about her 20 tattoos and alien abduction,not to mention the lack of production for her songs. The judges are the least of her problems.

• Matrix says:

Because Jess is getting the same unfair judging that Haley got. I’m not saying that Jess doesn’t have work to do to improve her performance (her voice is tremendous) – but the judges are simply not applying the same harsh standards to the other contestants. It violates peoples’ sense of fairness.

• Adam Fachry says:

This. You articulated what I’ve been trying to say all along. Even though the judges are the least of her problem and yes, she still have some flaws, HCJ, JLo, and Keith are the most evident ones because the common viewing public wouldn’t even care about the producers no matter how bad their wrongdoings are as well. The judges have the ability to subtly tell the viewers who should stay and who should go through their criticism, forming their opinions on which one to root for. It’s reality show 101 and happened to any shows that adopt the concept of competition.

42. Jill Moya says:

I also thought that Caleb was spot on saying Alex looks like he has to go the the bathroom whenever he sings with his foot movements. I have thought the EXACT same thing about him since day 1! That is what I dislike about Alex the most. Take a second look at his oerformances and it’s pretty comical Can’t he go to the bathroom before singing- LOL.

• LeahKittyS says:

It was actually Sam who said that. But I agree, it was a funny thing to say, though I don’t mind that Alex does it on the show.

• Stormy says:

To me it doesn’t seem like a bladder issue. It looks like the impatient dance a toddler does when Mom isn’t quick enough with whatever they want Right Now.

• Lynn says:

I’ve noticed that if there is something said that is obnoxious, rude and insensitive it is usually attributed to Caleb, lol.

• LeahKittyS says:

Again, it was Sam’s comment. Sam and Alex are BFFs, they probably say stuff like that to each other all the time.

43. Timmah says:

They need a songwriting week. That’d get Jess and Alex back to the top.

44. Hans Carlson says:

Why is CJ still here? Why is Alex one of the front runners? Why are her i-tunes download numbers nothing to write home about? Why will Jessica be heading home if she doesn’t have an a-ha breakthrough?
    Go to youtube and listen to Johnny Cash sing HURT and then search for and listen to Jessica’s version of HURT. Johnny sings it with a raw emotional “first person quality” to it. Jessica sings it beautifully but with a “second person” lack of true emotional connection.
    If you then listen to her sing one of her own original songs, you then hear the emotional connection she lacks singing songs done by others. At least most of the time, I thought when she sang SIMPLE KIND OF MAN at the end of the ‘at Workplay’ video the emotional connection was there in that song. But as her Idol performances and most of her other youtube videos attest, singing other artists songs without making an emotional connection is a glaring weakness for her.
    If she were an actress, I’d suggest she take some method acting classes, but I’m not sure what a singer might do. As a group, the songs she puts on youtube that other artists have done are ones that had an emotional charge when the other artist sang them. Her own original songs have an emotional charge to them. If she can somehow start sing songs with a raw, emotional “first person quality”, I believe she can make top three and possibly win. If not, she won’t make top three.

45. Karen says:

Go Sam!

46. MamaLis says:

How come no one has said anything about the nasty-ass attitude Jess had as soon as she was placed in the Bottom Two? I know it’s “not supposed to matter” but it does matter and you need to have a little freaking humility and class in this process.
    ~
    What I think happened is that a BUG got in her ear about last night, and the “bug” was a bunch of people telling her, “Oh poor Jessica. You SO didn’t deserve the comments. Poor Jess, you are WAY getting picked on and YOU DON’T DESERVE it SISTA!!”
    ~
    Naively, she believed her own press. Placed in the Bottom Two (with nice-guy Dex) she was all, “I so don’t deserve this!!”
    ~
    Say what you will, that’s what it looked like to me. As Forest Gump’s mama would say, “Pretty is, as pretty does.” And that was NOT pretty.

• Atticus1 says:

I only remember her saying “Stupid is as stupid does.”

• Renee says:

Lol + 1. I get so tired of people who think the kids are rude if they don’t put on the ‘aw shucks, ahm just so grateful to be here – I just wanna make Mama and Jesus proud’. I notice women esp are supposed to be ~humble. *eyeroll*

• Tommyo2000 says:

I ma glad you pointed this out since you already know that you would have the perfect reaction when you are on TV in front of 15 million people, live, and you just got sent to the elimination stools for the first time. Yeah, thank god there are people like you who can handle that stress like nothing and can help point it out to others …

• MamaLis says:

@ Renee – As a female entrepreneur, I’m certainly not going to argue against a female unfairly. And I don’t expect anyone to be happy or non-emote. No need to add the hyperbole.
        @ Tommy – you guys seem to make more excuses for Jessica than ANYone!
        ~
        People & their character are defined by how (we) handle adversity as well as how we handle success. I don’t expect perfection. I DO expect a behavior that’s in the ballpark of every other contestant that’s landed in the Bottom: “Good luck. I did my best. I hope this works out. I know this is how the game is played.”
        ~
        Let me tell you something Tommy. I’ve had more stress & diversity in my life than I can count. I mean… a LOT. And with the exception of the item pertaining to a lying, cheating ex-husband, I’ve handled them all with strength and character.

• Tommyo2000 says:

Funny how someone who boasts about stregnth and character, goes and calls out a 23 year olds “nasty-ass attitude” for a momentary facial expression, when she has a camera in her face at just the moment she learns her dream may be ending … Spare me the lecture, you are a mean bitter person

47. Tahoe Mike says:

I wish Jessica had put all the southern sugar she can into her voice and said to Harry, “Sweetie, I don’t dance; I sing. If you want to see dancing girls, I’m sure Jennifer can get you tickets to her show.”

Up-vote!

• Mary says:

I laugh at all the comments on this board. The truth is I love Jessica but she is stiff as a board. Even on her own song her feet were perfectly still. Harry wasn’t asking her to dance, he wants to see rhythm. In actually how can you stand so still when a song has a beat. You guys look at it picking on poor Jessica, but the truth be told, she needed to hear it. She won’t get far if she doesn’t improve the skills.

• Mary says:

Sorry Actuality.

• Matrix says:

True – and how much have you seen CJ move around? He’s usually planted on a freaking stool! Why no advice for him to dance in front of a mirror to funk music? Sorry, it’s a double standard.

• marie says:

It totally is.

• AngD says:

Actually as much as I”m not a CJ fan, the thing is he does connect with his songs. Jessica is blank. Her voice is wonderful, but she’s got to connect either with movement or facially or something. That’s what Harry seems to be trying to get across.

• Matrix says:

Yes – I agree. Although I think sometimes too much is made of “connection” in terms of appearance. CJ scrunches up his face and it gives the appearance of passion – not sure this is connection. I personally get bored with CJ’s performance and his off-tune singing distracts me from enjoying it. No question that Jessica has some awkwardness to her – but her voice communicates “connectedness” to me in spite of that. She can learn how to make the stank face or whatever other performing arts tricks are necessary – hard to teach great singing. And as long as we are speaking about awkward – let’s look at Alex – the dude looks extremely awkward just standing still trying to have a conversation. I think he’s very talented, but lets have him put his guitar down and strut his stuff around the stage and see how smooth he is.

• Christine says:

Isn’t she ever! Was it Harry that called her one-dimensional way back when? Boy, he nailed that. And I don’t know why it is but she just seems to be so fake. The judges had her back in the beginning (despite her dismal behavior in group week) when she showed so much promise – so kudos to the judges for calling it like they see it now.

• Mary says:

Personally I don’t care about CJ but they have been on him for several weeks about his pitch, yet the voters still keep him in the game. I think at this stage they are trying to be nice so he doesn’t stay in longer than he should, which obviously is not working. Alex does a pee pee dance so he moves to the music. All I am trying to say if Jess wants to make it in the business she needs to learn how to get over the awkwardness on stage. Lets face it musicians don’t live off record sales anymore it is the shows that keeps them going. I appreciate Jess trying but at this stage I think she should stick to what she knows and hopefully can rebound after this week.

• marie says:

I’d LOVE to see that!

• March says:

Jess should march in place like Alex does.

48. GuitarBlue says:

A situation that can’t be ignored at this point, is that CJ was not bottom 2, Jessica was, and Dexter is gone. All are from Alabama.

CJ will gain more than Jessica from the elimination, simply due to the fact that guys get more votes than girls, especially at this stage. It’s still 4 guys vs 2 girls, as the top 6 perform next week.

Jessica is flat into the elim danger zone, doesn’t have a really special strong base in either Pop or Country or Alternative Rock as her songs have fluctuated between them. Jena is making some waves in the Pop and Alternative market, and Alex Preston has a large following already in the Pop field. Caleb has both a good voice and plenty of dynamic performance skills.

Going forward, it looks like it will be Jessica vs Sam for the next elim. Song choices will be more important than ever.

49. danin says:

My playful fantasy list for next week. Alex Lay Lady Lay(Dylan), hahaha&he could revive Keep Your Hands to Yourself, Sam- Dazed&Confused (cause he is.and make him stretch!), Everybody Must Get Stoned(yes,Dylan again) Jesse- Every Breath You Take,see where this is going?, & I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry(Hank Williams) Caleb- Gravity, something by Sugarland), CJ- something by David Gray& something by Steve Earle, JENA-Rhiannon, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

C

50. MamaLis says:

By the way, I just want to add that my 10-year old son gets TRAUMATIZED each elimination night by the new format: Disappearing picture of the bottom vote-getter with the “swishing” sound as it goes dark.

He says it’s just like HUNGER GAMES!!!! LoL :-(

• LeahKittyS says:

The funny thing is, Hell’s Kitchen is on right before Idol, and I always catch the end where Gordon hangs up the evictee’s chef shirt and their picture goes up in flames. I wonder where Idol got that idea…

• tiipii says:

Swedish Idol has had the disappearing pics thing on the show for years. Since Per Blankens used to do Swedish Idol, maybe it is his original idea.

• LeahKittyS says:

Yeah, I figured that was probably it. I just think it’s funny that two reality competition shows with similar elimination dramatics air back-to-back on the same network.

• Tahoe Mike says:

I used to love the way they did the same thing on the early seasons of the Biggest Loser. In the voting room they had a fridge full of food with each contestants name on it. It made me giggle out loud each week when someone got voted off, and the light in their fridge would go out.