American Idol: Top 7 Song Spoilers Revealed!

american-idol-top-7-song-spoilers-jena-caleb-jessicaAltruism or sabotage? That will be the question looming over tonight’s Top 7 installment of American Idol (8/7c on Fox), the first ever to feature a “Competitors’ Picks” theme.

The remaining finalists were asked to select one song each for their fellow combatants – leaving each one with a list of six ditties from which to choose. TVLine had confirmed that this is the final lineup:

Alex Preston: Ed Sheeran’s “The A Team”
C.J. Harris: John Mayer’s “Gravity”
Caleb Johnson: Kings of Leon’s “Family Tree”
Dexter Roberts: Luke Bryans “Muckalee Creek Water”
Jena Irene: Radiohead’s “Creep”
Jessica Meuse: Miranda Lambert’s “Gunpowder and Lead”
Sam Woolf: David Gray’s “Sail Away”

Of course, you’ll have to watch tonight’s episode to find out exactly which contestants were responsible for the aforementioned list.

My snap judgment? Jena’s song choice seems most likely to create a genuine moment, while C.J.’s appears to be the most boring and predictable. Smart move by Caleb to remind us that, yes, he can tackle something current (and really freakin’ catchy), but did Sam really need to cover his second David Gray song this season?

Meanwhile, will an Ed Sheeran song really give Alex an opportunity to highlight his creativity? What is a “Muckalee Creek Water”? And is Jessica’s capable of digging deep enough into her emotional well to match Skylar Laine’s explosive Season 11 “Gunpowder” cover? (One can hope!)

What do you think of the Top 7′s song selections? Who’s most likely to succeed? Whose choice puts ‘em most at risk going into the night? Sound off in the comments!

1. RD says:

I do not want to hear CJ murder ‘Gravity’. And Sam doing another David Gray song? How predictable is that? Step it up,people!!!

• Samara Desiree says:

I really think Sam should be singing Turn The Beat Around by Gloria Estefan or Nickelback’s How You Remind Me. Would that be unpredictable enough?

• Jon says:

I really don’t want to hear “Creep” performed again–either on the Idol or Voice stage. And do we really need to hear “Gravity” again?! Can’t they come up with better songs than these?

• jr. says:

Sam should be singing any Ricky Nelson song. Possibly, Hello, Marylou. He should youtube it, and try to imitate him. Harry Connick was trying to mentor him a bit as a judge with mentioning Ricky Nelson. If only he’d listen.

• Tamera says:

The whole point of this week is to have your competition pick the songs you can choose from. If no one gave him a Ricky Nelson song to choose, how is he suppose to sing it?

• Ceng says:

Hmnnnn seems underestimating Sam’s capability…. Well… Let’s see who will femain in the competition :D sometimes the underdogs could rise…

2. Kaba says:

Okay…the song choice (save CJ and Sam) I can live with. Aside from Jena’s who’s just seems weirdly predictable…though I expect good (or at least decent) things.
    Still, I think this theme is just lame. I’m willing to bet my money that these contestants just told each other what song they wanted anyways.

• The Beach says:

I agree totally. These choices are lame, boring and oh so predictable.

• Mary says:

I am assuming that the clear list wasn’t long to begin with, so taking that into account not to bad.
        I hate to say it but I don’t know a couple of these which might be a good thing for the contestants.
        Might have to mute gravity, don’t really care for the song and CJ killing it won’t help. I love Jessica but I don’t see her pulling that song off- hope I am surprise, but to be honest that is the only one that seems out of their wheelhouse, so I am given her prompts for that.

3. MAB says:

I just listened to A Team and it sounds just perfect for Alex but maybe too perfect. I am excited for Jena doing Creep. Love that song. Should be an interesting night.

• Timmah says:

The A Team is a great song and I’m sure Alex will do something interesting with it. Jena doing Creep worries me a bit, it’s fallen into that “overdone” category for me.

• MAB says:

But it has been mostly done by guys. I think it will be interesting seeing Jena’s take on it.

• Timmah says:

True, maybe the gender flip will make it fresh and interesting. It was actually Birdy’s cover of The A Team that caused me to discover it in the first place.

• Jon says:

Not true. What about that girl who messed it up on the Voice?

• Mary Buten says:

I really barely watch The Voice anymore so I don’t care. The only one who I remember doing this song was Jeff Gutt on XFactor and I really liked it.

Mary Buten

Sent from my iPad

• Mark says:

Mostly it has been done well by other contestants. The only utter fail I can remember is Holly Henry. She had no business attempting that song.

• Lunakit says:

I hope Jeena has studied the Brandi Carlile version of that song…

• JM says:

Just listened to the songs on Amazon. Jena and Caleb sound the best. Then Alex, Jessica and Dexter. Last are Sam and CJ.

4. JK says:

These songs choices are each within their wheelhouses- not much of a “sabotage/competitor” vibe from this list. I could see each of these artist picking these songs on their own. *sigh* another week of mediocrity. Nice try on them trying to bill this week as something “new and inventive”

• Samara Desiree says:

Did you really expect them to come up with Barbie Girl or La Cucaracha for each other? I doubt it would look good for them to sabotage each other. They want votes!

• Mark says:

This is exactly what I predicted: All softballs lobbed by friendly competitors. And I think that makes for a better viewing and listening experience than hearing them sing songs no one really wants to hear. Still, this list is not very inspiring. Jena has the best opportunity to shine if she doesn’t muck it up with a weird arrangement, and Caleb gets a chance to show that he has a bigger plan that auditioning the job as frontman of a 70s tribute band. I wish him well.
      On another note, I think it’s about time that they just did away with the themes all together and just let the contestants pick what they want to sing. That’s what they seem to be doing anyway.

5. Stormy says:

I’m disappointed in the song choice for Jessica. Miranda Lambert is a firecracker and the song is perfect for her. IMO Jessica is more deliberate and calculating and the song doesn’t suit her at all. She’d be more believable with Eartha Kitt’s “The Heel”.

6. Jaszy says:

Oh my God…Gunpowder and Lead for Jessica? Really?! That song is predictable and lame. I think it’s boring. Maybe it’s because it’s a country song. I don’t particularly like country music, but Jessica is my favorite contestant. I would’ve liked if they picked an Alanis Morissette song for her, something like “Right Through You” or “Mary Jane” or “Forgiven” or “Ironic” or…..basically just any song from Morissette’s album Jagged Little Pill…OR REALLY just any Morissette song period, like “Princes Familiar” or “Front Row”, or “Surrendering” or “Everything” or “UR”…..(sighs) I love Alanis Morissette. I feel Jessica would kill with one of her songs…BUT INSTEAD, she gets stuck with this predictable country song….Nevertheless, I hope she KILLS it!
    PLEASE VOTE FOR JESSICA MEUSE….
    Jessica and Jena HAVE to be the last 2 standing.
    (So I guess vote for Jena too.)
    I can’t wait!

• Kelly says:

I love that song, and I would love for Jessica to come out and show them she can do it!

• Mary says:

In all fairness she didn’t get stuck with it. She had a choice of 6 songs, one from each contestant,
      and she picked this one. I hope she pulls it off to quiet the naysayers.

• Foxfire says:

I’m a confirmed Jessica fan too and I’m hoping she has a great performance tonight. Don’t worry, I’ll be voting for her too.

7. Sara says:

I think Jena and Jessica are gonna nail it.

8. Sarah says:

This will be Jena’s night

9. Adam Fachry says:

I was sleepy (it’s nighttime in this part of the world), and I thought it was Dexter who’s going to sing the Kings of Leon song and I said to myself “finally, a chance for him to become interesting”, but turns out I read it wrong.

10. Samara Desiree says:

Looking forward to Caleb do a Kings of Leon song. Though I’ve never heard that one. Dexters seems like more bro country and a little predictable. Jena has the potential for a moment. Jess has a good song choice. Let’s hope she can pull of the sass and not stand there looking like a zombie.

11. Stephanie says:

For a second, I thought that Caleb was singing “Family Tree” by TV on the Radio which would have been so much better. Now I’m just pissed off. Jena’s going to kill it though.

12. Aaron says:

Why do I find myself wishing for Motown night, or disco night or one of those lame themes from seasons past? I hated them when they were happening, but somehow this season just feels like it’s the same ole, same ole week after week (except for Jena who really has done a wide variety of things). Look, I love Alex (and have purchased 3 of his songs on iTunes), but this song choice is just WAY too safe and boring.

• Akdar says:

Sorry, but I still think that the current season beats hands down the Motown and other similar themes of past and a dreary ballad after ballad after ballad with overbaked runs.

• Timmah says:

I don’t see what’s safe and boring about doing a bunch of songs (other than Creep) that have never been done on the show before.

• JayNC says:

No more theme weeks please – at least not ones that restrict them too much. Last week was horrible. If there must be themes make them broad so they can pick whatever they want. I never liked the them weeks from seasons past anyway, don’t miss them.

• Adam Fachry says:

It’s not so much about restricting as it is about the cleared song list and/or the contestants’ music knowledge. Last week, if they knew more about the other 80s songs that haven’t been done on the show, would be a week full of surprises. But maybe, the cleared songs weren’t really a lot to begin with.

13. Vetle says:

Sail Away is such a nostalgic song for me. Alejandro Fuentes from Norwegian Idol 2005 covered it and it became a huuuge hit for him here in Norway. I mean, I heard it on the radio just yesterday. I don’t think Sam can do it better.

14. Tilley says:

Very interested to hear Dexter do “Muckalee Creek Water” … it’s a very slow, swampy bluesy kind of song. Not the typical Luke Bryan song. Also, for those wondering, the song is about a creek that runs through south Georgia, where LB is from.

Will be Jenas night.

15. Kate says:

Muckalee creek water is a great song by Luke Bryan who is the biggest thing in country music. I’m so happy we’ll get to hear something that hasn’t been done to death on this show. Why is Jena still there? She’s awful and will murder that song. Jessie is going to be amazing.

16. Sarah says:

Just listened through the itunes previews (switch store to Phillippines):

Caleb: Interesting choice, good to take something contemp. Still I cannot see this guy as a solo artist, he needs a band
    Alex: Very safe choice. Plays a bit with the melody, but still very predictible.
    Sam: He connects through the recording as always, but fails during the live performance. If he can get past that, then there is no stopping him.
    CJ: Same as Sam, sounds great on Itunes, but fails during the live performance. If he somehow managed to control that pitch, this could work, but I really doubt that
    Jessica: Potencially the best recording artist among the contestants. This will all come down to production and execution. Vocally it is great.
    Dexter: Mid-tempo song, great vocal. I could hear this on the radio today, but it is (as always with Dexter) un-original and predictible
    Jena: Love the arrangement, this could be the performance of the night.

• Foxfire says:

I agree with your opinion of Jessica as I think post-Idol she could have a nice little career in Country music.

• Mark says:

If Jessica could manage 1% of the stage presence of Kacey Musgraves, she could have a career. As things stand, however, she has 0% of the required stage presence. Oh, and I like Jessica’s voice a lot.

• Ceng says:

Jena delivered it well but knowing creep, been covered too many times in reality shows ( most covered song i guess lol ), her arrangment dont find it sooo original…shes the one to beat as the Dawg says… Well, that was said on many finalists but ended up with a shocking elimination lol knowing idol….

17. Name That Tune says:

Alex Preston: Ed Sheeran’s “The A Team”. This sounds like the type of artist he wants to be, but will he sing it straight or change it up? Because he’s too much of a music nerd not to play around with it. Overall, it’s a boring song for a boring performer.
    ——–
    C.J. Harris: John Mayer’s “Gravity”. Oh man, was I bored with this. But it probably fits CJ as well as anything else. He can toodle around with the guitar for a good 30 seconds and we won’t have to hear him sing. But it’s a 9 minute song. Just what part of it is he gonna sing? “Gravity is working against me?”
    ——–
    Caleb Johnson: Kings of Leon’s “Family Tree”. So this is a guitar-heavy song. Not in Caleb’s wheelhouse, for sure. There is virtually no melody and it takes until 1:43 before the rhythm picks up at all. No doubt Caleb can do it, but it needs a spurt of energy infused into it. This is one song that would benefit from him changing it up. A lot. “I am your family tree. I know your A to Zs. This is a secret proposition, lay your hands on me. Nothing to talk about darling, it’s all make-believe.” Yup, there’s nothing to to talk about. It’s all sabotage here.
    ——–
    Dexter Roberts: Luke Bryans “Muckalee Creek Water”: Another guitar-laden song. Starts slow but the beat does pick up about 53 seconds into it. Really, Dexter can do this song, but I don’t expect to be wowed by it. They’re not gonna complain about the anthem songs anymore after this.
    ——-
    Jena Irene: Radiohead’s “Creep”. It’s a creepy song, but it gives Jena the chance to do some interesting things with it. I like it.
    ——–
    Jessica Meuse: Miranda Lambert’s “Gunpowder and Lead”. This should be interesting. Jessica has a problem with moving around the stage. Watch Miranda Lambert perform the song live. If Jessica isn’t moving around the stage like she enjoys the song, then it’s a big F for her tonight.
    ——-
    Sam Woolf: David Gray’s “Sail Away”. It’s slow, which Sam loves. Will you still be awake at the end of it?

• Name That Tune says:

It’s setting up to be one of the most boring nights in Idol history. I may just skip it altogether.

• The Orginal Lemon says:

Caleb sounds really, really good on the studio version of Family Tree. I mean really good. It’s nice to hear him do something contemporary, but still in his “wheelhouse.”

18. I have been hating Sam’s take on two of my favorite songs, Babylon and Time After Name… so I’m worried about Sail Away, love that song too.

19. :( says:

Jessica might have a moment if she gets the pimp spot! I only know like two of these songs. Any Duets? If not I can only imagine how much time there gonna have to kill.

• Mary says:

Yes there are duets this week. Same as last week except the Alabama group are together, Jess, Dexter, CJ. That should be interesting, hopefully CJ just plays the guitar.

20. Tara says:

You two are just the best. I have a very uplifting laugh every week. Now, about Alex. He should win :D

21. Carey says:

Is it new to be able to hear all the songs on itunes before they even perform? Or has that been going on all season and I missed it? I even bought one to listen to the full version.

22. darcy the slutty twin says:

I shudder to think what Jeeena’s pretentious tone and singing accent will do to “Creep.” I would take Jessica over Skylar any day. Plus Skylar reminds of Rachel Dratch so I can’t take her seriously.

23. Mark says:

Damn you Michael for name-dropping Season 11, which so thoroughly and utterly obliterates this season… Every week, I wanted to see what Skylar would do (and I’m no country fan). And, man, Phillip, Jessica, Colton, Elise… Even Joshua would obliterate these sleep inducers from Season 13…. Damn you Michael!

24. GuitarBlue says:

Looks like a battle between Pop Music and Country Music. 5 guys, 2 girls.

The voting dynamic has done as expected, eliminating girls that could sing much better than a couple of the guys left. Question now, is if Malaya’s former supporters will get behind one of the girls, rather than the guys. I think it will be boring to have an all guy top 4, if the trend doesn’t stop.

25. Nathalie Van Egten says:

Dont juegre before thry even sing who says jena will be great everybody thought shed be great lastweek and look what happened.

26. Stormy says:

I never juegre anyone. I promise.

27. KK says:

Freaking out a little because Gunpowder and Lead was the song I tweeted for Jessica as my #fanrequest! I’m sure other people did as well, but still pretty cool. I’m hoping this really brings something out in her. Crossing my fingers for a moment!

Also pretty excited to see Jena do Creep. I don’t want to jinx it, but I think it could be a real moment that could place her firmly at number 1

28. Donna says:

I think the judges are sucking the life out of this show. They are too intellectual and are not creating any feeling of momentum for these contestants.

29. gina says:

I really, really enjoyed the trio. Have liked the judges this season but looks like they have chartered some buses.

30. Nan says:

I do NOT want to see Jenifer Lopez for half of the contestants song. When the camera is not focusing on the contestants it’s hard for the viewers to maintain a connection.

31. JoMarch says:

How boring tonight was. It would have been more interesting if they had been allowed to be creative and not play nice with the song choices.

32. Nedsdag says:

I thought the judges overpraised two contestants whose names will not be mentioned (*cough*Alex&Jena*cough*) and drove the bus over a contestant they desperately want out (alas, poor Jessica).

33. giselle says:

Tonight CJ reminded me of Louis Armstrong the way he scrunched his face up when he sang. I don’t remember his doing that before, but maybe the off-key singing distracted me. I thought he did better tonight with singing on key, but now the facial expressions are just as distracting. I liked Jena, Caleb, Sam, Alex and Jess. CJ and Dexter are in my bottom 2 with CJ going home. The judges were pretty tough on Jess, so she may lose votes. Now that the judges got her to move around more they don’t like the way she moves. It’s sort of like the way they picked on Haley Reinhart the season she was on. When she tried to please them, they just complained about something else.

34. Sandy says:

Jessica is my favorite. I would love to hear her do a Beth Hart song. Maybe “one eyed chicken”.

35. andri iona Ciccone says:

Sam Woolf willows digging in his heels in the dog house.Can he paw himself and dig himself out another hole?Jenna Irene is stelllar. Contends the perfumed aroma of a true entertainer in the midst air.

36. ann geysen says:

I would like to see Jessica maybe try an Amy Winehouse song, and Jena do “Stay” by Rhianna and maybe a Norah Jones song.

37. katillac says:

Where is Slezak’s recap?

38. lbarry says:

Alex, Caleb, and Jena are the best so far in the competition. Alex is above all. I think the judges overly pick on Alex. I think Alex is the most talented. Its irritating and creepy to here the judges try to persuade the audience about Sam.

39. Bonnie A. says:

I saw a Tweet from Michael that he was on a plane to London during AI.

• katillac says:

Bummer! Glad he’s okay, but I sure do miss his recap of the show. Sometimes it’s better than the show!

• Bonnie A. says:

Very much agree. I don’t think I’d bother watching if it weren’t for Michael and his excellent writing/commentary. And I like reading the comments, too.

40. jaxguy says:

Jena & Caleb were the best with Jena giving the performance of the night. The Duo with Caleb was stupendous. I hope they are the top two.

41. Bonnie A. says:

Annie Barrett did the review instead on the TV Line website

• katillac says:

Thanks for the heads up! I have Michael Slezak bookmarked, so didn’t even think to see if someone else had done the recap on TV Line.

• katillac says:

Michael used to work with Annie Barrett over at Entertainment Weekly. I just googled and saw that Annie had been layed off at EW. Didn’t realize that until now.

42. Ka have better physical properties than wood, better stability than the timber size, noisy cracks, warping, wood knots, twill, by adding coloring agents, film or composite surface made Of colorful a variety of products, so no periodic maintenance.