Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. Rises, NCIS, Originals, Supernatural Hit Lows, FX's Fargo Opens Quietly

134983_1286Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. benefited from its special 9/8c airing on Tuesday, ticking up 17 percent in the 18-49 demo week-over-week (2.0 vs. 1.7) while holding stead in viewers (5.1 million).

Oddly enough, NCIS failed to capitalize on the decreased competition at 8/7c — it faced a S.H.I.E.L.D. rerun —hitting a season series low (2.1, 16.7 million). NCIS: Los Angeles (2.1, 14.7 million) and Person of Interest (1.7, 10.6 million) closed out the night for CBS down 9 percent and 11 percent, respectively.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble? What’s Already Been Picked Up?

Over on The CW, The Originals (0.6, 1.5 million) and Supernatural (0.8, 1.7 million) returned after a three-week break with season lows.

Other Tuesday highlights: ABC’s premiere of Celebrity Wife Swap landed with a thud (1.0, 3.1 million); NBC’s rookie comedy one-two punch, About a Boy (1.9, 7.2 million) and Growing Up Fisher (1.6, 6.1 million), rose 12 and 7 percent; and Fox’s lineup of Glee (1.0, 2.5 million), New Girl (1.1, 2.2 million) and The Mindy Project (1.0, 1.9 million) were at or near recent levels.

On the cable front, FX’s acclaimed limited series Fargo opened to a so-so 2.65 million total viewers, 1 million of which fell into the 18-49 bracket.

1. that’s right CW, ppl hate stupid hiatuses…..even though I liked the episodes)))

• Dani says:

The CW hiatuses are odd. They would do better by following ABC’s idea with airing 11 episodes in the fall and another 11 episodes in the spring without a break within.

• Britt says:

This! Hiatuses make people forget about what has happen on the show and then people can’t remember when these shows come on because of all the repeats/specials/10,000 award shows, etc. You think they would know better by now since tv is not a new concept.

2. leah says:

I’m pretty sure that’s a series low for NCIS, not only a season low

• Blacklister No.134 says:

It is a series low. It is tied with a Season 1 episode.

• drhenning says:

I find it amazing that NCIS had ratings that high at first when it was behind JAG??? I seem to remember it took a few seasons for it to establish itself as a huge ratings winner..

• I don’t watch NCIS, but since it was that low against a repeat of SHIELD, and SHIELD was the second big demo of the night, behind only NCIS, I have to say, I’m happy!!! Cause I am in love with AoS, and I don’t want to lose it. This give me hope!!!

• grys03 says:

Suspect the low against S.H.I.E.L.D. was more about the audience settling in for a night of watching 1 show & some continuity – something none of the broadcasters are good at…

• NickR says:

Except, instead of waiting until ALL the numbers come in, you are premature in your gloating and chortling–the numbers for NCIS adjusted up to 2.2/7 and 17.12 viewers according to TV by the numbers. I really love childish people who have to eat their words.

3. wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I know I’m preaching to the choir but when are these networks gonna figure out that these breaks aren’t doing anybody any favors. I realize they only film so many episodes and they have to fill in some time in order to get to May sweeps for the finales but can’t they stagger the shows premiere dates to accommodate??

• Boiler says:

Need to go back to the olden days when they used to do 30 some original shows. I would think they need to do as you suggest or have 2 different seasons with different shows.

• wjm980 says:

30 shows a season will never ever happen again. The cost would be too prohibitive.

• wrstlgirl says:

Oddly enough I kind of like the way TNT and AMC do it. Airing the first half of a season uninterrupted and then the later part interrupted a month or so later. FOX started doing that with 24 way back when, then they went to delaying the start date and running it all the way through. Much better IMHO.

• GhostWolf says:

The on and off weeks for original programming the last couple of weeks is horrible. I really never know when a new episode is on so just rely on my trusty DVR. In either case, maybe it’s time to do something similar to OUAT (split the season up – hate it but less of this stop/go rubbish going on) or what they used to do with 24 (air later in the fall with no repeats). It can’t help a show’s audience in some cases.

• wrstlgirl says:

If it weren’t for my DVR I’d be completely lost on all my shows. I rely on it to tell me when something is on. Otherwise, like you say, it would be to difficult to keep up.

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, we kinda just posted the same thing regarding split seasons :-)

• The Beach says:

Count me in on the DVR train. I couldn’t keep up otherwise. However, some of these shows I just lost interest in after all that time and dropped them off the DVR.

• Kristina says:

As someone else said the cable networks do it that way and it works great. It sure would be nice if the rest of the networks would catch on.

• Scott says:

Part of the problem is the short lead time between completing an episode and airing it. Many shows now seem to have an 8-10 day shooting schedule per episode so its physically impossible to have a new episode every week. Although they could start filming a lot earlier (and most cable shows do this) the networks do not want to have a lot of episodes sitting around. I think there’s cash flow issues involved. With new shows its even worse – if a show tanks in the ratings and gets taken off it becomes very expensive when you have 10 episodes on the shelf.

Personally I’m in favor of dumping archaic concepts like sweeps and seasons, dropping series lengths back to 10-13 episodes and playing them when they’re ready. That’s the British model and the cable model, and it seemed to work just fine for Sleepy Hollow.

4. Blacklister No.134 says:

Since NCIS hit a series low I would hope that apologies are forthcoming from all the people who mocked and ridiculed those who predicted that there would be a ratings implosion of NCIS once we found out Cote de Pablo was leaving. Thanks!

• Jerri says:

Oh, do get over yourself “Blacklister No 134″ ; NCIS is still #1 scripted drama in its timeslot. If your ‘theory’ was correct, NCIS would have seen a ratings drop in the early season episodes sans Cote, yet that wasn’t the case. One low-rated episode doesn’t mean ya’ll can celebrate and chalk it up to Cote’s absense. But I have a feeling y’all gonna do that anyway. It won’t change anything, Cote isn’t coming back anytime soon.

• dmac says:

It’s ratings are still higher than 95% of the shows so no apology will be given. When are you and the rest of the Ziva fan club going to let it go. It was her choice and now that time has passed the rest of the cast are starting to say things in public about how it all went down. David McCallum in particular was very vocal in his disgust at how she just up and left and only gave them a few days to reshoot scenes regarding her leaving. Mark Harmon has been fairly snarky as well. This was her choice time to move on.

• Blacklister No.134 says:

I always respected McCallum until the time where he just went off the rails and badmouthed Cote publicly when she has said nothing against the show since she left. It was not classy at all.
        Also McCallum should be blaming the showrunner who did not even have a contingency plan in case things did not work out. They knew what the situation was and they decided to not have an alternate plan. Does not seem like the professional thing to do on the part of the showrunner.

• Mark says:

How can she stuck down in Chile filming some B movie because shes burnt all her bridges in hollywood

• Alli says:

She said ,in an interview, that actors need other projects and characters to grow in their craft, more or less. And she spent so much time at the lot, filming NCIS, that it shortened time spent with family and friends. She said she wanted to work on her acting abilities, not get niched into one character and spend more time at home, or have time to be spent with her loved ones. The cast of NCIS don’t have tons of off time, and now she does. But I don’t believe she shouldn’t just up and leave, and then ask to be let back on, after how she did leave. Audition like she did before, since Emily has done an alright job in her own right.

• Francis Alston says:

Seriously? You “lose respect” for someone giving his own opinion, because it put Cote in a bad light? Wow, you really are one shallow individual, aren’t you? People are only good if they say nice things about someone who left everybody up s**t creek just before production restarted. Why blame the show runner, when contract negotiations were continuing until the 11th hour, and she still walked. That doesn’t sound very “professional” either. She chose to leave. Just like David McCallum chose to give his honest opinion when asked. Frankly, I admire someone who calls it like it is, and that definitely isn’t “going off the rails”, it’s called opinions. SMH

• Jerri says:

Don’t forget that McCallum has been in the TV business as an actor ever since before Cote was even a gleam in her parents’ eyes. He knows what’s professional and what isn’t. He knows how this business operates. Given the information we have so far, her behaviour wasn’t professional. We may never know what happened in those negotiations and why exactly they broke down and she walked, it’s not like anyone is flying off to Chile to look for Cote and ask her what happened.

The show runner can’t have contingency plans for every actor not locked in contract for the next season yet, because this would be a waste of resources. At the stage they were at when Cote walked, contingency plans like that require resources like writing new scripts, new set designs perhaps, new locations (which would require scouting and permission to shoot at beforehand) and a lot of other things to work everything out that would further eat into the show’s budget. They can’t just go in and shoot anywhere, and scripts aren’t written in 1 day to shoot the next, the cast and crew need time to prepare, Cote didn’t allow them that by leaving when she did. McCallum just pointed it out based on his own experience and knowledge of the industry, which is a lot more in-depth than Cote’s or yours.

• Daniel says:

NCIS has remained steady from the beginning of the season. These past few episodes it has decreased because of DST and The Voice as competitor.

• Claudia says:

This. Not to mention the headline is sort of deceptive, because the reference is to the 18-49 demographic. Also the episode was not heavily promoted in a week where many people are doing spring break and other activities.

• Blacklister No.134 says:

Series Low= Steady Ratings.

Sorry but my brain is not computing the logic since these two things are opposites.

• NickR says:

Well, you jumped the gun with all your gleeful comments about “Series Low”. See, it pays sometimes to wait until ALL the numbers are in. Duh.

• Marc says:

And, every day, more viewers age out of the 18-49 demo or start time shifting beyond Live + Same Day on their DVRs. As the latter grows and advertisers (rightly) refuse to pay full-price for people who fast-forward through their commercials, the advertiser-supported business model of general network programming moves closer to collapse (ie: the point where ad revenues cannot cover license costs). The networks and studios need to increase outside revenue sources such as Amazon, Hulu Plus, Netflix as well as targeted ads you cannot fast-forward through for online and on-demand viewings. But, every time I watch a CBS show on-demand and see noting but PSAs and promos, an ABC on-demand show filled with ads for Disney movies, or an episode on Hulu advertising products that I will never, ever buy, I realize that the nets haven’t figured it out. The clock is ticking.

• Dean says:

Wow you and the other baby butchering Ziva nuts are really getting your rocks off aren’t you?

• Et al. says:

They’ve made the same episode 257 times. Maybe audience fatigue is finally setting in.

• canadian ninja says:

Nah – it will take at least 300 eps before fans start realizing it’s time to pack her in.

That or Mark Harmon going bald.

• Maria says:

That’s exactly it. I watched for years before finally just getting bored with it. It doesn’t really have anything to do with actors/actresses leaving the show. (although I liked Cote just fine…) But here’s the thing: When Michael Ausiello does his “May Sweeps Scorecard” year after year, and NCIS usually only qualifies for the category of “Fatalities” year after year (with a scant few exceptions) that’s when you know it’s getting dull.

• Jimpy says:

They haven’t made the exact same episode 257 times, but they did make this episode before- season 7 patriot down, when Laura Macy died while investigating a rape and the victim wasn’t cooperating and the murder had nothing to do with the rape.

• drhenning says:

If you read some of the promo earlier in the week, last night’s episode was urged by the Navy to discuss the issue of sexual assault… No guns or blood or murder…

• Larc says:

I don’t think this drop (NCIS has been trending down recently) is directly tied to Ziva’s departure as much as it is to her vapid replacement. They needed a strong and interesting character. They chose instead a quirky bore.

• TullaT says:

I think it’s a little of both – or at least, they are tightly connected. They’ve always had a strong character in that spot, and they replaced her with a fluffball. It’s not working.

• Pat D. says:

I think it had more to do with the generic and boring episodes recently than people suddenly realizing Cote wasn’t coming back, oh, 18+ weeks after her last episode. Last night’s ep was a step in the right direction, IMHO—not very “Wunderkid Bishop” centric.

• Jaramukhti says:

Last night’s episode felt more balanced. It kept the focus on the crime of the week, and kept from putting too much attention on any one main cast member.

That’s how NCIS should be.

• NickR says:

Awww, guess again buttercup, the numbers adjusted up–is it now time for you to start apologizing? What? I truly can’t hear you………….

5. Dj says:

I tried to watch NCIS but the case had the we are trying to educate viewers feel to it which made watching it uncomfortable so I change and watched the AOS repeat.

• Pat says:

It is really a shame that you felt this way, about this episode. I am glad that they ran with the subject matter. I congratulate NCIS for the topic of rape in the military. Doing this is real time, especially what is going on today, in the military and if you want to call it educate, I think the word awareness is what their goal was.

• TullaT says:

I agree, and didn’t mind the PSA feel. It’s such an important and timely topic. I wish more people had tuned in for the subject matter.

6. Via Bona says:

Yay for AoS. Love that show.

And just watched ‘New Girl’ from last night. It was a good episode. Nick & Jess are killing me. So are Schmidt and CeCe. I’m really rooting for both couples. Schmidt was awesome last night. I loved how he was there for CeCe. Also loved the acting MG did during the honey roast. And I loved the end where they both watched DD together and talked on the phone. Also glad Winston got some good time this week.

7. Elin says:

Ncis LA was really good, It made me confused, but I liked it.

8. Boiler says:

Glad Wife Swap bombed but I’m surprised that 3 million thought this was worth their time.

9. Said about Supernatural it was an Epic episode.

10. Kendall says:

NCIS hit a 2.1?? Is that a series low for NCIS??
    Oh chicago fire please adjust UP

• wrstlgirl says:

Chicago Fire?? Am I blind, I don’t see it even listed here.

• Beth says:

Me either, I have looked twice! Last nights was amazing, what Severide did for Bloom made me cry.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I agree although I will say I’m getting really tired of everything being about Dawson. They need to give us a break on this character or I’m gonna start hating her. It’s like Dawson this, Dawson that……ugh. And typical Gabi getting all bent over Jones Father and she was wrong, just like she did when Shay was going through her breakdown, she made it all about her…..rant, rant, hahahaha. I need a break from Saint Gabi :-) :-)

• Kendall says:

Love Monica Raymund she is great so you can give me dawson all the time 😃.

• Beth says:

I really don’t want to agree because I love Dawson but they are making her look really selfish. I want Casey and her to work out but he is bending over backwards for her and it seems like he is an afterthought to her. It all stems from this firefighting thing, that just needs to end!!!!

• wrstlgirl says:

I’ve always found her selfish. It really showed during the whole Shay breakdown and all Dawson could do was focus on how Shay didn’t need her anymore cuz she hooked up with that gal. Granted Shay told her to back the hell off but if you were as close of friends as those two were/are wouldn’t you try to help your friend in some way. All Dawson did was whine about it and mope around. It wasn’t until Severide got all up in her face and told her to stop thinking about herself and help him find Shay that she cared. At least that’s the way I saw it :-) I don’t necessarily dislike Dawson but she not my fav either. I think Casey deserves better :-)

• wrstlgirl says:

I forgot to add that I don’t think this firefighter ARC is going to end anytime soon, especially after the note Jones left her. I hope I’m wrong because it’s kinda stupid and boring. I mean, come on, did she really think if she passed the test that she was gonna get Jone’s spot and be allowed to work under Casey. Anybody with a brain could have figured that out. Just another example of her only thinking of herself. Hahaha, would I sound like a total shrew don’t I. I’ll stop now :-)

• Kendall says:

NBC Chicago Fire 1.7/5 7.01
        I saw it in tvbythenumber

• Claudia says:

That was just the preliminary number. NCIS adjusted up both in the demo and in total viewers. So the headline is no longer correct.

• Jimpy says:

I also like the fact that it had about five times the viewers of anything else in the time and some people are acting like its dead.

11. I hope Agents of Shield also gets adjusted up! Soooo happy for them! Love the show/Marvel <3

12. MiaB says:

Really happy AoS did well at 9. Hoping ABC will move it there permanently, move The Goldbergs to 8 and Trophy Wife to 8:30, where I think they would do better, since there are no other comedies at that hour on broadcast TV.
    Last night, I watched New Girl and Mindy for the first time and fell in love with Mindy. Love seeing an hour block of some of my old Happy Endings folk (tear, still miss that show).

• Christina says:

Agreed with everyone you just said! I’m so happy AoS did well, it’s about time they went back to the 2.0 range.

• ryan says:

I wouldn’t classify it as “doing well”. A pinch better perhaps, but when you’re already floating in the toilet does that really matter?

• Christina says:

Considering ABC ended up averaging a 1.3 for the night, I’m going to stand by saying a 2.0 is doing well. The show has definitely underperformed even my low expectations ratings-wise, but it’s doing well enough in the demo that I wouldn’t say it’s floating in the toilet.

13. mia says:

I think the tv networks should start doing a fall season, spring season, and then summer….less haitus, more poeple watching since they wouldn’t be fed up with breaks and repeats

14. Dennis says:

I’m finding Ward more likable now as a Villain oddly enough

• Tai says:

I was thinking that the whole episode. When he made that crack about being everyone’s type, I literally said “now!” He’s definitely growing on me as a bad guy. I just hope they don’t cop out and make him a triple agent. I want him to be bad for awhile. And if he does turn, I hope it does for something other than Skye.

15. Diane says:

I missed The Goldbergs. So glad the wife swap show flopped. Happy about “About a Boy” I really like that show.

As for the NCIS franchise. How much have they gone down (total viewers) since last few seasons (and no I am not a Ziva fan). Does this bode well for a 3rd series?

16. JC says:

The 0.5 week-to-week drop (2.6 last week) for NCIS does make me think maybe something a little unusual was going on there. Was there some sports it was airing against or something? I see that The Originals, in the same timeslot, also hit a series low. My other thought was that maybe it had something to do with last night being their special episode on rape in the military. Not that it’s not an important issue, but maybe it was something some didn’t want to watch.

17. The Originals is sucking more and more with each episode and NOT in a good way.

18. Jason says:

Man oh man it took them long enough, but MAoS is really starting to kick it into gear. Not sure any show could live up to the hype it received, but they are REALLY trying!!!

19. Bryce says:

Why did Ausiello write this? Matt’s format is much nicer…

20. woodyinho says:

Let’s be honest, those NBC comedies are doing well because of The Voice.

21. Scott says:

Since Glee is now giving all the rabid fans exactly what they wanted, why are the ratings not improving substantially?

22. JM says:

I don’t get it. Why is 2.65 mil only so-so for ‘Fargo’? It’s better than the other shows got.

23. puredieselbc says:

“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. benefited from its special 9/8c airing on Tuesday, ticking up 17 percent in the 18-49 demo week-over-week (2.0 vs. 1.7) while holding stead in viewers (5.1 million).”

SHIELD was adjusted up last week from 1.7 to 1.9 in the demo. So by rising to 2.0 this week, it only went up 5 percent NOT 17.

Having the new episode being pushed back an hour and not having to face The Voice probably helped. A little.

24. Caroline says:

I love Supernatural but had no idea a new ep was on tonight! I can never figure out the CW hiatus schedules!

25. Mikael says:

SHIELD should’ve been on at 9pm the whole time. Hopefully they don’t make that mistake next year.

26. The Beach says:

That’s really too bad that Fargo didn’t get more eyeballs. It was absolutely terrific.