Game of Thrones' Alfie Allen Says Goodbye to Theon: 'He's Reek - He's a Different Person'

Game of Thrones Season 4 Spoilers Alfie AllenA character fans loved to hate is definitely gone as of this week’s Game of Thrones – and we’re not talking about that little blonde tyrant.

The drama’s star Alfie Allen tells TVLine that his first Season 4 scenes as Reek, which we saw in Sunday’s episode, prove that Theon Greyjoy has left the castle.

But is the change, brought on by merciless torture at the hands of Ramsay Snow, permanent? Read on as Allen previews whether Balon Greyjoy’s abandoned son is likely to regain his mojo this season.

RELATED | Game of Thrones Recap: Long Live the King

TVLINE | In the shaving scene, Reek certainly has opportunity and motive to kill Ramsay. But he doesn’t. Is that choice proof that he’s left Theon behind and become another person altogether?
Reek, for a moment, visits that old Theon again when he hears about that news of Robb Stark’s death, but I don’t think he is on the verge of slicing Ramsay’s throat. I don’t think that even crosses his mind for a second, because it’s far too big a step to take to do that. He is way too frightened to do that at that point.

TVLINE | How much did you know about flaying before you started doing this role?
[Laughs] I had no idea about flaying at all. It’s pretty gruesome. There’s something, which you’ll see later on, which is very interesting. It gets pretty cool. But no, I didn’t know anything about flaying. I didn’t even know what it meant… It’s awful.

RELATEDGame of Thrones Renewed for Seasons 5 and 6

TVLINE | The last update we had from the Iron Islands, Balon Greyjoy seemed to care less that Theon was in big trouble, but Yara decided to do something about it. Are we going to get to see her ride to her brother’s rescue?
Well, you’ve just got to wait and see, but there’s more to come from Yara, definitely. Gemma Whelan does a fantastic job of doing it ,and yes, I’m really glad that I get to do stuff with her… I mean, yes. She comes back to save me. So we will see what happens after.

TVLINE | Theon has either lost or been rejected by the authority figures from whom he’s sought approval — his father, Ned Stark, Robb. Do you think now he looks for Ramsay’s approval in any way?
Well, no, because he’s Reek — he’s a different person.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Game of Thrones Spoilers!

TVLINE | So you’re playing him as a completely different person?
Absolutely, yes. Absolutely. I mean, that’s the sort of turmoil he’s in, and it’s interesting to try and do it that way — and refreshing.

TVLINE | What can you tease about the general trajectory of Reek’s story this season?
It goes down, down, down… and then a little up.

1. seankene says:

Only 12 hours after it showed and you’re detailing GoT spoilers in your headlines? What are you thinking? Removing TVLine from my feed.

• Rob says:

Ramsay renamed Theon “Reek” in the season finale last year. It’s not a spoiler from last night.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Indeed, what scoundrels. How dare a tv spoiler website post spoilers on a tv show? After the show has aired no less, have they no decency?

• NotQuite says:

Well, actually, TVLine distinquishes between spoiler articles and non-spoiler articles. if you look at the top you will see the SPOILER tab where Spoiler Hos can happily indulge and those who have lives where watching a show the very same night it airs can still possibly avoid being spoiled by reading articles not in the spoiler section.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

I indeed see the spoiler tab. If you look up you’ll also see your browser has a small x that will allow to avoid spoilers as well.

• Chris says:

Umm Theon was named Reek in last years season finale, plus IT’S IN THE BOOK. Maybe turn off the tv for a bit and pick up a novel.

• rowan77 says:

You are right about it not being a spoiler since he was rechristened “Reek” at the end of last season – but regarding you comment about it being in the books. Books are not the TV. This is the TV series, not the book series so regardless of what is in the books and when, it is still a spoiler unless it was previously revealed in a previous TV episode.

• Ray says:

As the others said, the Reek thing was only a spoiler for last season. Other than that, there’s no spoiler there unless you read the article itself.

• Joey says:

As others said, it was only a spoiler from last season, but guess what? Even if it was from this most recent episode, it already aired. You didn’t watch it yet? It’s not this website’s fault.

• Katie says:

Yeah, um, this is information from last season. Stay current or don’t go on websites dedicated to, you know, TV shows.

2. tv2day says:

This is the 1 of the 100 storylines on thrones that I have no interest in. Not much interest in the crippled stark kid traveling in the forest storyline either.

• J. Carr says:

You seem nice. “Crippled” kid?

• bluefairy says:

I guess he means Bran. To each their own. What’s your problem? Bran IS indeed physically crippled.

• rowan77 says:

It’s the use of the word “crippled” I think J Carr objects to. It isn’t used to describe people anymore. It’s not PC. And while there is no political correctness in Westeros, we don’t live there. We live here – where people find that word, in that context, to be offensive.

• M3rc Nate says:

Lol nothing is PC….at one point pretty much every word in that vein was a word used medically (retard, stupid, moron, idiot, crippled, midget etc)…but as the words leak into the society, they get used negatively as most words can be, and become “insults”…to call a retarded person (medically correct wording) a retard is now a vile thing…all this PC language stuff is confusing…and I take offense to every 3 years having to use the new PC word or else im a repulsive a**hole.

• LK says:

Bran’s storyline in the books has always been one I tend to skim through also.. moves very slow without much development…

• Katie says:

If you’re not interested in 100 different story lines, then why even bother watching? It’s kind of what Game of Thrones is all about. Especially the stuff with Bran.

3. tv2day says:

Those who have read the books r real obnoxious on these boards. One on another board went as far as to tell everyone who killed joffrey to show how much better he was than everyone else. That idiot ruined the season for everyone on that board.

• Kate says:

tv2day,

You don’t see the irony in your post? Thanks for the spoiler!

• Joe says:

Many people who have read the books are extremely smug and arrogant about it.

• LK says:

And those who haven’t read the books keep complaining about stuff.. Why should those who read them not be allowed to talk about them and compare the books to the show?

• LOL says:

Because everyone should be illiterate! This is murica dang it!

• Joe says:

Never said people shouldn’t be allowed to talk about them, just that many who have read the books are quite smug about that fact. I’ve read the books, but unlike many other people online, I don’t feel the need to constantly put down those who haven’t or choose not to. It’s as if some people think having read a fantasy series is some sort of great life accomplishment and that it means they’re smarter than people who haven’t. Reading fantasy novels doesn’t mean you’re smart or more cultured. If it did, I’d be considered one of the smartest men on Earth. Sadly, I am not. But I do know a whole lot of completely useless information about countless fantasy universes. So I’ve got that going for me. Basically what I’m saying is, there’s nothing wrong with having read the books, just don’t be a douche about it.

• M3rc Nate says:

Smug isnt okay but when they act like they know more..its because they do. The person who is saying their (wrong) opinion or (wrong) prediction in a comment thread is replied to by someone who reads the books saying basically thats not gonna happen or something “iv read the books” yeah it comes off as know it all or something…but they in fact do know more and can with pretty good authority shut down commentors whos opinions/theories/predictions are WAY out there because they have never read the books. The same happens on TWD threads/comment sections…people who havent read the comics going off on opinions/predictions that in NO WAY are gonna happen which you’d know if you read the comics (yes they change some stuff but theres a extent to which the writers change stuff).

• Scott says:

Could be interesting if the show changes who the killer was. There were so many possibilities after all. Although I read spoilers I’ll be waiting for the on-air reveal just in case.

• FtheFreys says:

That guy was a troll. You’re making such a generalization of all book readers.

4. MissMel says:

I wish there was a way to institute a fee for every person who actively seeks out information on a show during its run and then complains about spoilers. Maybe that would help them learn to stay off the internet if they don’t want something to be ruined for them since common sense clearly isn’t doing the trick.

I just finished watching Season 1 of a particular show on Netflix. Season 2 is running now and I don’t want to be spoiled so you know what I don’t do? I don’t read about it online! If I happen to be scrolling through a site and I see the title of the show I click away really fast. I don’t read the articles and I CERTAINLY don’t read the comments or go on message boards pertaining to that show.

Game of Thrones has been on for 4 years now. People who have read the books have been talking about them in the comments the ENTIRE time. They’re not going to stop. If you truly don’t want to be spoiled on the show then stay away from those sites. It’s not rocket science.

5. TinLV says:

Just because one has read the books doesn’t make it right to spoil the show for people who haven’t read them and just want to enjoy watching the series. But some people are so arrogant and smug because they read the books that they go out of their way to spoil things for viewers. These people think they are better than everyone else, but all it does is show that they have no class. Believe me, not everyone is like that. The best advice I can give to those who enjoy the show and don’t want spoilers… don’t read the comments on any article about the show.

• LOL says:

They could also… read the books too!

• LK says:

Anyone who goes to a spoiler website and then complains about people posting spoilers really only has themselves to blame.

• CountryQueen says:

I agree if you’re talking about the tv show. But this is not a book site. Some of us like the surprise. It’s rare to feel that way. I’m dying to read the books, but I want the surprise of the tv show, so I’m waiting. Is it so hard to understand or respect that? I want to come here to discuss what I saw. I think that’s a fair thing to expect on a tv site that I very much enjoy.

• MissMel says:

Here’s the thing, you are all assuming that EVERYONE who has read the books and mentions it in the comments is just doing it to be a jerk. I’m sure some people ARE but I guarantee you, even if no one EVER spoiled on purpose, things would still be mentioned in the comments that would reveal happenings from the books. People get excited and when you’ve experienced something in one form, it’s human nature to make comparisons or even just to get really excited about something.

Case in point, my mother and I have read the books, my brother and his girlfriend haven’t. Last night when Geoffrey died, my mom got so excited she shouted the killer’s name. It was said like “Yes you go so and so!” She wasn’t being mean-sprited or trying to ruin it for them. It just slipped out in the moment. Yes, it’s nice to talk about the things we like, but back before the Internet, we all used to talk about those things with our family, friends and co-workers and that worked out just fine for decades of TV viewers. You don’t NEED to go on websites about the show where you know there will likely be spoilers and where you can’t control other people’s behavior.

6. CountryQueen says:

Why can’t people who have read the books understand that some of us are enjoying the surprise is the TV show is bringing us? I love to read, and read ferociously, but I am waiting to read these books because I love the surprise that the TV show brings me. You don’t get surprises like the red wedding on TV very often. I love that moment of jumping up and screaming when it happened. I will become obsessed with this book series when the TV show is over. So how about being decent human beings, and letting those of us that have not read the books yet just enjoy the show? There are places that you can go to discuss the TV show and the book series, but keep us spoiler-free please!

• Michelle R. says:

Some people who read the books do get that, you know.

• CountryQueen says:

Yes. And I appreciate them. It’s the ones that post spoilers and then justify it by touting that the books have been out for years as an excuse. Thank you for being a decent human being.

• Michelle R. says:

Ha. I try. I’m a reader, in general, and a fan of these books, but some of the readers imply anyone who hasn’t read this book is an illiterate, and deserve to have the experience ruined. Makes no sense. But I don’t really think they’re the norm, just determined to be loudest.

7. Joey says:

“A character fans loved to hate”… Ahem, Theon is one of my favorite characters, even moreso in the show than the books. And it’s not because I hated the character.

• kim says:

Theon fan club – table for one ;)

• Joey says:

I think it’s because unlike a lot of people, I take the time to understand Theon’s state of mind to comprehend why he does the things he does. He’s not an evil character by any stretch of the imagination, he just made the wrong choices, which he even realized in S3 when he thought he had reached Deepwood Motte (and had he reached Deepwood Motte as he thought, he would have been safe, so there was really no need for the heart-wrenching exposition he made as he was making his way into the castle).

Theon is a very complex character, and he gets some great plot going forward. I’m really intrigued to see it play out.

• Michelle R. says:

Thanks, Joey. I agree that trying to understand the characters is what makes a book or a well-written TV show fun.

• EJ386 says:

Lets fight one of my faves is Ramsey ;)

8. jag says:

i don’t really give a fuss if all who read the book is smug about it or spoils everything. the fact is when you don’t want to know the next episode then stop reading comments. And for those who ask for answer,s be ready to receive one. The problem with us fans of the show is we can’t make up are mind if we want to know before it happens or wait patiently for the next episode. For me telling what you expect and telling what happen before it happened or asking for clarification is the same thing, you are communicating and it means there will be a feedback.

I’m not saying that people above stop complaining about spoilers (because it’s useless and a waste of time), I’m just implying that we should start thinking first what we really want before reading or making a comment.

9. FtheFreys says:

I really wish we didn’t see Theon’s transformation to reek on the show. I like how surprising Reek is in DWD.