The Neighbors Season Finale Recap: There's No Place Like Home (Planet)

The Neighbors Season FinaleA surprise pregnancy, a Full House reunion and a million (incredible) cancellation jokes populated Friday’s season finale of The Neighbors.

RELATED | Video: Why Did Larry Bird [Spoiler] on The Neighbors‘ Floor?!

The episode began with the Zabvronians preparing to bid adieu to the Weavers and return to their home planet. Their bags were packed, their extra belongings were sold and their creepy talking gingerbread creatures were nestled away for safe keeping. Yes, all appeared to in order, until a back-bump bombshell threw a wrench in the operation: Larry Bird is pregnant! (“Meow, I’m pregnant” were his exact words.)

“What hole will the baby even come out of?” everyone, including Larry’s father (special guest-star George Takei), wondered. But despite the uncertainties of giving birth in a male human body, Larry decided to remain on earth. His family unanimously agreed to stand by his side, with Dick Butkus swearing off Harvard (“Zuckerberg didn’t need it, and neither does Butkus”) and Reggie deciding not to become a human, though he assured Amber he was still willing to “go bald and poop” for her.

The Neighbors Season FinaleIn the end, the Weavers and the aliens (do they even have a last name?) remained the only residents in the neighborhood, though they were eventually joined by a chipper new couple — the much-hyped Full House reunion of Candace-Cameron Bure and Scott Weinger — which prompted an emphatic “Oh crap” from a very pregnant Larry.

RELATED | TVLine Items: The Neighbors Star Books NBC Comedy Pilot

If this finale turns out to be the show’s last hurrah — ABC has yet to renew The Neighbors for a third season — at least it got the last laugh. The episode began with Jackie thanking “those two Tim Allen fans who accidentally tuned in,” which was followed by a steady stream of wink-nudge jokes. (“The things that have come out of my mouth this season…” Debbie remarked at one point.)

Of course, the greatest cancellation jokes were saved for the very end. “I don’t know what things are going to look like this time next year,” Larry told the remaining crew, to which Jackie suggested “Wednesdays?” and Reggie added, “I’ve heard whispers about ABC Family.”

Maybe it’s best end on Larry’s hopeful, and very true, sentiment: “No one thought we would last this long, but we did, and so help me, we will do it again.”

(Good luck, Neighbors.)

Were you satisfied by The Neighbors‘ season finale? Grade it below, then drop a comment with your full review.

_

1. Michael says:

Renew this show ABC! It is funny, charming, and heartwarming!

• Darla says:

Amen! It’s one of the few that isn’t snarky, mean and always has some nice message to it.

• Joe says:

Everybody should bombard ABC with gingerbread men if the show gets cancelled.

• Doris says:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE KEEP THIS GREAT FAMILY SHOW ON TV FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!! OUR WHOLE FAMILY LOVES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Betty Roth says:

It is the only true witty show now on TV. Humor is needed! There is too much drama that is abnormal on TV, we need a break, from stress. Laughter is the best medicine, the ensemble of seasoned actors “the Neighbors” give us levity.

2. Getting rid of the aliens except for the main family sounds lame. It won’t be the same show.

• Andy Swift says:

They really wrote this to serve as a series finale, in which case I think it ended perfectly. If it gets picked up for Season 3, they can always find a reason to bring them back.

• As the season progressed, we saw less and less of the other aliens than we did in season one. If it was renewed, it would probably be with the condition that they spend less money per episode (“lower licensing fee” or whatever they want to call it), which would reduce the chances of expanding the cast beyond the main two families. Maybe they started too big and should have focused on just the one alien family from the start.

• Jodie says:

I liked Rosalind Chao as the Kersee-Bird’s therapist…a new season with more of her would be good.

• Joe says:

Everybody should bombard ABC with gingerbread men if the show gets cancelled.

• nickmaniac says:

I like it. I’ve been thinking for a while that it would be fun for there to be new human neighbors to shake things up, and it looks like this is what the writers have in mind if the series is renewed. There will be the challenge of keeping their identities a secret — plus I’m sure the Weavers would feel that their friendship with the Bird-Kirsees is threatened, especially if Steve and DJ Tanner turn out to be the more perfect, superior human neighbors.

Loved the season(?) finale. Fingers crossed there’ll be more!

• Joe says:

Everybody should bombard ABC with gingerbread men if the show gets cancelled.

3. Androme says:

This show’s gotten way better. I hope it gets renewed too.

4. Mare says:

I adore this show! I know it’s a long shot for renewal, but I won’t stop hoping!

5. Gigi says:

ABCFamily would be a better fit. I love this show!!

6. Tenney says:

I have really grown to love The Neighbors. Surprisingly, I find it to be one of the funniest shows on TV right now. I really, really hope ABC decides to renew this show.

7. Angie says:

This is one show we watch as a family and it’s sooooooo hilarious! Between Toks olagundoye, simon templeton and Jamie Gertz, I never stop laughing. Please please PLEASE renew for season 3.

8. Waldo Butters says:

Since ABC STUDIOS makes the show, it’s probably a lot more enticing for ABC to keep it than another show would be that they have to pay “outside the family” for. if it takes a move to ABC Family to save it, I’ll keep watching, but honestly move it off Fridays and give it another chance.

9. Tom Charles says:

I was never really impressed with the show and surprised it lasted this long. The youngest alien and the two youngest human kids especially were annoying.

10. raven says:

Give us another season! This suprising show is funny with a heart! Market it like it deserves and you will have a solid hit! Such talent and great writing, keep this show!

11. The Neighbors is one of my favorite comedies, I hope the show get at least a third season.

12. Ruth says:

Please renew this show. We record it and so look forward to watching it. One of the better comedies that has been on TV and thank God it’s not filmed in front of a live audience!!!

13. Cory says:

Been a fan since the beginning, and I must say, it’s one of the most creative, and fun shows out there today, and I watch a lot of TV. It has the perfect mix of everything; comedy, drama, suspense, inside jokes, and of course, a little touch of romance. Not to mention, it always manages to throw in a little one-liner about how they are actually a TV show, which always makes me laugh. Truth is, it really needs to be promoted better. It’s a sad day when a show like “2 broke girls”, which is one of the most poorly written shows on TV, where every second line is a lame sex joke, is able to survive, with massive ratings, and a gem like this, is just passed upon. Give it another chance, along with some reruns once in a while, and it will thrive.

14. Rowlf says:

The Neighbors was a meh show at the beginning of the first season, but by the end of the first season it was like one of my favorite comedies, and then when season 2 started the show turned into total crap, the only good season 2 episodes was the musical one and the Larry with the band one. Then this finale gave me hope in the show, but it does not need a second season, it had a good first season and a bad second season, but at least the second season’s finale was on par with a common season one episode. At least they made fun of themselves, we can all respect that.

• David4 says:

I loved the ABC ad last year that had all the HORRIBLE reviews for the pilot and then went “But this is what they are saying now!”

Once their realized never to show the aliens, which was like the 2nd or 4rd episode, it really picked up on how funny the “normal” things we do must be to outsiders. Wonderful show.

15. kavyn says:

Great characters, decent storylines and dialog that genuinely makes me laugh. That’s more than I can say for most comedies out there right now.

It has low ratings and I doubt it’ll get renewed, but I’m glad they gave a proper ending to the show if this is the final episode. I’m happy I stuck with it :)

16. Kristoffer says:

I never in a million years thought I would be watching this show – much less watching this show, liking/loving it and posting a comment about it! Seriously, when tvline posts about the new shows starting up, I was right there with the rest of a lot of others about how stupid the show sounded and how networks had obviously run out of ideas.I missed out on the 1st season but luckily a Facebook friend that shared my initial view on the show started posting how much he was ashamed for watching and at the same time loving the show and laughing out loud every Friday night. I had heard the same thing from others so, I started watching as well. Gotta say it wasn’t long before it got a season pass spot on my DVR. Hope to see it picked up – fits well on a Friday and is actually funny without the constant double entendre jokes that many shows have fallen into.

17. Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my website thus i came to return the prefer?.I’m trying to
    in finding things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to
    use some of your ideas!!

18. RobMF says:

I want this show to return more than I want anything. I love the self deprecating humor of how the ratings aren’t great. Usually it’s just Larry saying something like “This Season” but tonight’s episode was heavy on that joke with a lot of the cast. The speech at the end was amazing. I hope ABC keeps it around, it’s a fun little show for Friday Nights.

19. retsim says:

I have watched this show from the start and really love it It has got better over the two seasons.True, it may not get the spot it deserves but it seems to have a loyal following.I will really miss my weekly hit of under played humour maybe because im British the over the top, and subtle humour is something we love .That and odd touch of sarcasm.Please renew it. And a PS why do people vote for( I don’t watch / I have no opinion ) seems pointless. Any way good luck to all the viewers for a new season.

20. Laura Mello says:

It’s a sweet and excelent comedy TV show! The stories and cast are awesome!It’s a show to all ages,and I like it!

21. Henry T. says:

A breath of fresh air. Leave it to moronic higher ups to cancel. Shame on them…

22. Laura Mello says:

I forgot to say:The show doesn’t appeal with sex and rude scenes! It’s a familiar TV show!

23. Ethel says:

this show is just quirky enough to be entertaining without being stupid. No sex, no nudity, no political rants just plain fun. Hopefully, ABC will find a home for it next season.

24. J. Norman says:

The change from Humans surrounded by Zabvronians to Zabvronions surrounded by humans is probably at least 1/2 season too late.

The show is cute, but it has been running on fumes for most of this second season. I change in premise / scope should have been tried mid way through this season, not as a hail Mary in the last (2) episodes.

If ABC decides to give it one more try (say 10-13 episodes next season) or even move it to another venue such as ABCFAM, then they need to do away with the Reggie / Amber relationship.
    I’m sorry, but there is simply no chemistry at all between Reggie and Amber. None.

The show might try more focus on Dick Butkis, Jackie, and the younger Weaver kids.

• David4 says:

I agree. More shows need to take risks, but better late than never.

And I love Reggie, but him and Amber do not fit together at all. Bu it wasn’t horrible at first.

25. Chris Traeger says:

I love this snow. It is literally my favorite! I hope ABC moves it to a better spot than the Friday night death spot should they renew (and I hope they do!)

26. Diz says:

I only watched the first few episodes of season 1 & stopped because it was terrible. I only watched this for the Full House reunion & it’s still bad. If I’d known it was 15 seconds I wouldn’t have even bothered.

• Andrew says:

It did start out a little slow at the beginning but it got better and more clever every episode. Not sure if the “Full House” people will help but if it gets it renewed it is worth it. Please Renew!!!!

27. Susan says:

We truly enjoy this show and hope it gets renewed!

28. Andrew says:

This is one of the few shows which is funny without being mean or crude. I have watched this show from the beginning. I gave it a chance because nothing else was on and have been hooked ever since. Please ABC renew this show. I will watch it anywhere you place it!!

29. Aryn says:

How can 73% say it was awesome show….then only 25% say to keep it?!!!!

30. JBC says:

I have only seen a few episodes but wanted to catch the finale and see “DJ & Steve”. It was one of the most clever episodes and very funny. So it served as both a season finale or series finale..Enjoyed it! I will probably tune in more regularly if it does get renewed.

31. Craig Hansen says:

I say let this show die… while it has a high point to go out on.

32. JoJo says:

Love Love Love this show…… Please keep it and renew it

33. Joe says:

Everybody should bombard ABC with gingerbread men if the show gets cancelled.

34. DebLG says:

Love this show. Please keep it on the air, ABC!!!!

35. carol says:

Its a great funny family show keep it on the air

36. Rose Mundy says:

Love this show. It’s really funny and the whole family enjoys watching it together!

37. Jill says:

This is a great show. I can watch it with my kids (ok, they say the word A S S a few times, but still….), and it had a slight edge to the humor. I will miss it if it’s gone.

38. I really enjoyed this show, the writing is so creative. The acting, all of them especially the children were so excellent. Moving them to Fridays is always a nail in the coffin, even though everyone DVR’s but, it still needed a good lead-in to get a following. The jokes were great. Well done!

39. andrew says:

The show is really quite witty and clever, very funny stuff!

40. V. Menz says:

It’s wonderful to have a show the entire family can watch with humor and philosophy for all ages. I enjoy this show immensely and truly hope it has many more seasons to come.

41. Beejcctx says:

This is the funniest show on television – The Neighbors is witty, self-aware and a great parody of our modern life — plus they know exactly where that 4th wall is….and run it right over! I’ve hooked several of my friends on this show… we want to save our Butkus!

42. Terrill says:

We would like more please.Very clever.

43. jan says:

One has to have a certain sence of humor to enjoy this show. My husband likes it but I find it annoying,so I’m glad it won’t be back.

44. This & The Big Bang Theory are the only sitcoms we watch on American network TV. Remember the good old days when season finales were in June? All TV shows would run from September to June with no re-runs. Christmas shows & specials ran during their holiday vacations. And there were almost never any mid-season cancellations. TV shows almost always had full season contracts to give them a chance to gain popularity. Should have been in a different time slot. We’re always busy doing something else went it was on, so had to watch it online later.

45. Marianne says:

Please don’t take neighbors off the air. Finally a very creative show for the whole family. It has brought us all together to watch this as a family. We all beg you. The possiblities are endless.

46. tammy says:

This is a great family show. I normally watch horror or sci-fi shows that are full of sexual and violent continent. I have to say this was a interesting, funny, and clean show that everyone could watch. I looked forward to every new episode. To cancel it isn’t a flaw of the creators, writers, or characters. but the advertising team. i DID NOT KNOW THIS SHOW EXHISTED UNTIL I CAME ACROSS IT ON HULU.