TNT Orders Librarians Series Starring Rebecca Romijn, Leverage Fave; Noah Wyle to Recur

Rebecca Romijn The LibrariansIt’s official: As foretold by TVLine back in February, TNT has formally ordered a straight-to-series version of its popular Librarian movie franchise with Rebecca Romijn set to star.

Titled The Librarians, the 10-episode project centers on four ordinary people with extraordinary talents who discover that they have been selected by Noah Wyle’s Flynn to work for The Library, an ancient fellowship of knowledge and heroism. The quartet travels the world investigating strange occurrences, battling ancient conspiracies and protecting the innocent from the dangerous, secret world of magic.

The cast also includes Christian Kane (LeverageAngel), Lindy Booth (Dawn of the Dead,The Philanthropist), John Kim (NeighborsThe Pacific) and John Larroquette (Night Court)

Wyle, who’s currently starring in TNT’s Falling Skies (which returns with its fourth season this June), will recur in the series and serve as an exec producer. Joining Wyle are franchise vets Bob Newhart and Jane Curtin, who will reprise their respective roles as Judson and Charlene.

RELATED | Rizzoli & Isles Enlists Dollhouse Alum Enver Gjokaj for Multi-Episode Arc

The series is being built around the premise that the job of Librarian has become more than one person can handle. Enter Eve Baird (Romijn), who’s described as “a highly skilled counter-terrorism agent responsible for protecting the group”; Jake Stone (Kane), “an Oklahoma oil worker with an IQ of 190 and an encyclopedic knowledge of art history”; Cassandra (Booth), “a quirky young woman with the special gift of auditory and sensory hallucinations linked to memory retrieval, known as synesthesia”; and Ezekiel Jones (Kim), “a master of new technologies and aficionado of old classic crimes who enjoys playing the role of international man of mystery.” Larroquette’s character, Jenkins, will serve as the quartet’s reluctant, sometimes cantankerous caretaker; he’s worked at the Library’s branch office “for longer than anyone knows” and has extensive knowledge of ancient lore.

Chief among our protagonists’ adversaries will be the Serpent Brotherhood, a cult led by the mysterious immortal Dulaque, a recurring role played by Matt Frewer (Max Headroom, Falling Skies).

The Librarians is slated to launch later this year.

The first pic in the trilogy, The Librarian: Quest for the Spear, aired on TNT in 2004, and was followed by 2006′s The Librarian: Return to King Solomon’s Mines and 2008′s The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice.

1. Love the premise. Maybe it can take the place of my adored ‘Warehouse 13’?

2. Ashbash says:

It sounds kind of like that old Cartoon Network show Unnatural History

3. Lorie says:

I’ll def tune in.

4. mary says:

I hope Noah Wyle is in for more than just a brief moment. He was great in the movies. Perhaps a little of Bob Newhart as well??

5. Jace says:

Kane and Larroquette, I’m in.

6. Nikhil says:

I really liked librarian trilogy..Looking forward to this series.

7. Deej says:

They had me at Christian Kane

8. dragons3 says:

I’ll never understand how Romijn keeps getting shows. She can’t act worth a darn. However — Christian Kane? John Larroquette? I’m sooooooo there!

9. Sam says:

Awesome! Loved the trilogy.

10. Stephen says:

Just watched the three movies again. Glad that a series is finally greenlit.

11. Linda Davis says:

When does The Librarian start?

12. John NYC says:

Excellent news. Definitely in!

13. Dan says:

I’ve never even heard of this franchise, but got really into that premise. Maybe this can be a much better version of Alphas? I’d be game for that.

• Alan says:

its more like warehouse 13 actually, although this franchise came first, but then indianna jones came before either.

14. John says:

I wonder if a newcomer to the Librarians franchise would be lost? Never seen the movies, but would love to check this out…. Any clue if I would be be behind, or if it would take into account new viewers?

• dmac says:

No, as this is a whole new premise I think you will be fine. If you want you can actually purchase The Librarian Series on DVD pretty cheap or I think someone mentioned that they are on Amazon Prime. It is a fun show

15. Andrew Hass says:

I can’t wait for this series and i think it’s a great cast.I’m also thinking the first episode will explain things for people who didn’t see the movies.Plus i’m glad that Noah Wylie,Bob Newhart and Jane Curlin will be involved too.Also when the last movie ended Bob Newhart’s character did say there was a battle coming between the Library and some bad guys.So the series may continue from there but with some time passed.

16. mskrislarsen says:

This would explain Christian Kane cutting office his hair. #RIPAwesomeKaneHair

17. Margaret says:

So happy to hear that the Librarians series is coming back. Love Noah Wyle, Newhart and
    Curtin. But Romijn???? She can’t act her way out of a paper bag and she’s supposed to
    have an IQ of 190?? I think more like 90.

• If you are dissing another woman’s IQ, maybe learn reading first? Christian Kane’s character will have an IQ of 190, not Rebecca Romijn’s.

• Margaret says:

If you read this with the intent it was meant, you’d have understood that I was talking about her
        playing a character with an I.Q. of 190. Even acting, she can’t pull it off.

18. lechatnoir says:

Premise = Good
    Cast= Meh its too vanilla
    Kryptonite of this show . Rebecca Romaine . Every show she is in gets cancelled , she is poison.

19. Luis says:

Loved the Librarian movies. Happy to see Christian Kane, John Larroquette, Bob Newhart and Jane Curtin in series. Sadly, with Rebecca Romijn headlining, the show is already DOA. The curse of Stamos, perhaps?

20. Rebecca and J. Larroquette will make the series; Wylie and Newhart will too. I watched two of the movies but found them too much like an Indiana Jones wannabeeeee….

21. LEP says:

Can you get the original Librarian movies? Would like to see them since I missed them.

• Karen says:

Yes the Movies are available Amazon has them I’m sure others do also
      There are 3 titles list at the end of Michael’s post

22. J. Carr says:

I guess everyone has rent to pay.

23. Michael says:

Christian Kane should be the star of this show, not Rebecca. I hope while Christian and Dean on set, they talk about giving us a Leverage movie. I miss the crew.

24. Sil says:

Glad to see the Librarian stories continue! And as a former Leverage fan, I think having Christian Kane in this type of role fabulous. I’ll definitely check this out.

25. Karen says:

Loved the Librarian movies hope the series does them justice, very glad that Noah Wyle will make appearances Bob Newhart and Jane curtain can’t wait thanks for the heads up

26. Mary S says:

I’ll watch anything with Christian Kane! I liked the movies, so I’ll give it some attention. Or my DVR will, depending what else is on in that timeslot…I am very lucky to be able to record 4 shows at once. Very seldom do I have to give something up…

27. Sarah says:

I am huge fan of Christian Kane and Lindy Booth, but casting Rebecca Romijin is what you do if you want your series to never have chance at a second season. Harsh? Yes. True? Absolutely.

28. Susan says:

I really enjoyed the Librarian movies and this looks like it might be a fun series.

29. Can’t wait to see Christian Kane on tv again, finally something worth watching again

30. Amanda says:

I will definately give this one a chance. I love the Librarian movies.

31. paula says:

I’m so excited for this! I love the movies, this looks like a great plan for a series. Rebecca Romijn!! And when I saw Matt Frewer is the head villain, I went “Eeep!” Can’t wait!

32. Brian says:

I miss Leverage.

Christian Kane is awesome.

So, if Romijin is doing this, was King & Maxwell canned and I missed the announcement?

33. Fran says:

Very excited about this new series! Great storyline and an amazing cast!

34. Big D says:

I am really excited for this show. I love these kind of light-hearted adventure stories. It does seem like it could plug the hole that will be created by Warehouse 13’s departure. Christian Kane seems like a great fit. Also I am really glad that TVLine (unlike some sites) could present this news without snark.

35. sean says:

THANK YOU!!! I so love these movies!

36. Ray says:

I hope Noah’s part is more than just a few cameos. He made the movies what they are.

37. I was hoping after I watched the first movie they would make a series. Now after many years here it comes. Loved the cast before hope they do it justice this time around. Thank you to the people bringing it back.

38. After I initially commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now
    on whenever a comment is added I receive 4 emailos with
    the same comment. Is there a means you can remove me from that service?
    Kudos!

39. M Cline says:

Noah Wyle has to be in this. It won’t be any good without him… He is the librarian..he is what made it great. I hope TNT doesn’t mess it up.. However I really like the choices they made, I the new characters.

40. Michael j daily says:

I really liked the original series, we have all 3 and watch them often

41. When does this series start

42. Marybeth says:

I can’t wait. ….I was thinking the other day hoping their would be other Movie,but series even better …love you TNT