American Idol Top 8 (Redux) Results Recap: Freeeeeeeeee! Free Fallin'!

american-idol-recap-top-8-resultsRyan Seacrest began Top 8 (Redux) results night with a warning: “There can only be one winner. This is the hard part. And this… is American Idol.”

And indeed, with the Judges’ Save having been squandered used last week, the forecast for ’80s Week voting tallies was Cosby (sweaters) with a 50 percent chance of children’s tears.

RELATED | American Idol Top 7 Week Theme Is…

There was also — rather inexplicably — a zero percent chance of a performance from the week’s fantastic guest mentor David Cook. (Ummm…wait a second. Exec producer Per Blankens & Co. had the Season 7 champ on the premises all week, and didn’t bother to carve out three bloody minutes for him to test-drive one of the tracks from his forthcoming album? (#illegal) If I didn’t know better, I’d think nobody at Fox gave two hoots about whether folks hung around to the 9:30 hour (and Chris Meloni’s charming new sitcom).

RELATED | American Idol Mentor David Cook on Judge Antics, Top 8 Performances & Whether the Show Still Matters

Anyhow, at least there was no encore “performance” from J.Lo. (Fun fact: Possible followups to “I Luh Ya Papi” include the completely fictitious tracks “Can You Pay My Bills [Can You Pay My Auto-Tune Bills]?,” “Putin’ Da Lo in J.Lo” and “Sketchers Shape Ups [Sponsored by Sketchers].”)

RELATED | American Idol Top 8 (Redux) Performance Recap: Am I Lookin’ for a New Love, Baby?

OK, OK, I’ll cut it out. After all, there’s nothing that can poke fun at J.Lo’s musical oeuvre like a genuine J.Lo song title.

So let’s jump to results:

Sent to Safety (in No Particular Order)
Caleb Johnson
Jessica Meuse
Dexter Roberts
Alex Preston
Jena Irene
Sam Woolf

RELATED | American Idol: 22 Fresh Theme Nights That Need to Happen Right Now

Bottom 2 Vote-Getters
C.J. Harris
Malaya Watson

Eliminated
Malaya Watson

Poor, sweet Malaya, clearly shellshocked by her elimination, tried to belt her way through “I Am Changing,” but her inevitable tears turned it from a vocal performance into a funeral procession. If only the judges had followed Malaya’s pre-season premonition, and told her to wait a few years before auditioning, we might’ve been looking at a Season 17 champ. (Yes, I fully believe there will be a Season 17.)

On that note, I turn it over to you.

What did you think of Season 13 Top 8 (redux) results night? What did you think of the Bottom 2? Why was there no Bottom 3? Was the right person booted? Sound off on all those questions and more in the comments!

1. Kristi says:

So now we have the tearful sing-outs. That final “now” from Malaya was funny and so sad at the same time. :(

• Danny says:

I’ll miss her personality and felt a little bad for her. At the same time her time was coming. She wasn’t going to win the show.

• There are a number of contestants that I just can’t see winning the show left. It’s sorta split, I think Alex, Caleb and Jena with a pretty good possibility of Jessica could win the show. I think Dexter, CJ and Sam cannot. I hope the next 3 weeks of eliminations are easy and the final 4 will be the most deserving 4 of Alex, Jena, Caleb and Jessica. That wouldn’t be a bad 4 at all.

• What the Deb? says:

I think that the eliminations have been right on so far, despite the misuse of the Judge’s Save. There are, in my opinion, three tiers of performers left. Top tier: Caleb, Jena, Alex. Bubble tier: Jessica. Bottom tier: CJ, Dexter, and Sam. It’ll be interesting to see how they fare over the next few weeks or if we will have a Daughtry-level upset.

• S. says:

That’s pretty much what I’m thinking too. The top 4 better not be taken for granted so that we lose someone too soon. I always put all 50 for each of the ones I’m picking and I’ve been doing top 4 voting only for awhile now. I bet enough people are doing that for those 4 contestants on the Idol website so that it’s gonna help all 4 of them. Where they might get caught up is someone taking voting for granted, maybe some surge in phone calling for a particular contestant and if someone gives one of them less than 50, say 25 for their least favorite while the others get the full 50.

• karen says:

The save was not misused. Malaya had the worst performance last night, followed by CJ and then Jena. Sam was clearly better than any of those three last night. He deserved to stay.

• Tina says:

I agree that Alex, Caleb, and Jena (my favorite) are the top three. However, Dexter has been stepping it up. He is by no means my favorite, but he HAS has two solid performance weeks. Jessica has underwhelmed me with her stiffness. She is supposed to be a rocker girl, but acts more like a pageant queen (and a bad one at that). It is unfortunate because I LOVE her voice and I LOVED her original song. I just can’t stand watching her.

• Eva Lettieri says:

How can the save be misused if C.J. is still in the game? There should be a pecking order and C.J. should have went home before Malaya.

• karyn says:

I agree with What the Deb re who SHOULD be top 3 or 4 but I’m beginning to worry Dexter is going to upset one of them. I have to give him props that he’s been great the last few weeks and has not deserved to go home for those performances. I’m just worried that with no save one of the “should wins” will go home next week for a single bad performance. FTR, I also agree Sam deserved to stay. He really improved his delivery this week and was far better than Malaya or CJ.

• Diane says:

We can’t have a Daughtry-level upset–no one in this group is anywhere near as good as he is

• Jules B says:

Finally someone who isn’t tone deaf and understands what good talent actually is. I agree with you totally except I would put Alex in that top tier with Caleb as he is a true artist and he draws you into his performance simply by standing there and being creative and amazing as well as consistent every week. This year has been truly horrible other than those mentioned in the top 4 people. I truly think Caleb and Alex should be the last 2 standing. Jena still has pitch issues and Jessica still has stage presence issues…so at this point Alex and Caleb take it for me. Thanks for the good and accurate comment =)

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote. My thoughts exactly.

• Kaba says:

I honestly would prefer if Jess won tbh.
          Caleb doesn’t stir me anymore…and even when he did it was barely
          Jena…haven’t been aboard that train since…always
          Alex…I would sooner see as a runner up than a winner
          Idk, something about Jessica…it just feels like we haven’t seen her absolute best whereas I’ve seen Jena and Calebs [alleged] best and I’m just not for it. When Jess is performing greatly I just believe it more and I find her more edgier than Jena and Caleb combined….weirdly enough.

• Tina says:

I like Jessica, but she can’t move on stage. I don’t need her to dance, but she did some pretty atrocious hair flip attempts when she came out on stage last night, and it was uncomfortable. She is just so stiff. It sort of cracks me up because the crazy stage mom from group rounds kind of had a point about Jessica (though not a well expressed one).

• Tommyo2000 says:

You one of the old lady’s?… :)

• Kaba says:

I agree so much.
            If she could somehow get over stiffness like…next week she’d probably become the next front runner..
            So long as she doesn’t do some overly casual vocal performance like in the past.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I totally agree. I love, love Jess’s voice. There is some there. If she could just totally immerse herself in a song and learn how to move, I’d be all in. Mind you, I’m not talking break dancing :) But right now, I feel her emoting ends at her neck, if the rest of her body could show a little awareness, it would just look less awkward. Okay, that sounded weird, but of all of the voices, she is only one I would buy on iTunes in the end. And maybe Alex.

• Kimbo says:

@teenybikini
            I really like Jess I just wish she would do everything to completely engross us into her.
            My favorite performance of her is Crow and the Butterfly. If she could go above and beyond that performance..which I believe can. That’d be ideal

• Kaba says:

Up-vote teeny ;)
            Agree wholeheartedly

• AlyB says:

I wish they’d have them practice in front of a dance studio mirror. Not to do some big piece of choreography but to see themselves move and practice while they’re singing.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Do any of the readers here remember when Carrie Underwood was on Idol? A stick had more stage presence.

• Name This Tune says:

I wonder why you don’t think we’ve seen her best. I think she has shown us her best. If she knew how to do better she would. I see her as a 4th place finish at best. At any time, Dexter could oust her. Because she only does half the job and he does 100% of it.

• JudyBlue says:

I believe that Jessica isn’t going to be her “true” self until she bucks the producers/stylists/make-up “artists” and comes on stage as the girl that strutted into her audition. They have her so tarted up (horrendous clothing; ugly, obviously fake, overdone hair extensions; Tammy Fay make-up) that she must feel like a stranger to her own body. Her natural beauty and free-spirited style have been stylized into non-existence. She is probably coming across as fake to many detractors only as a result of allowing others to make her into something she’s not. More than anything, I would love to see her come out next week in her own choice of comfortable clothes, un-“done” hair and a less made up face. I’m betting her entire performance would improve. (And if the girl wants to rock out standing in one place, let her! That’s where she finds her groove.) (And boo to the judges for leaving her standing awkwardly on stage after her performance while they giggled and cooed about JLo saying “call me” to Harry. They so disrespected Jessica.)

• Danny says:

@Idol- I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss Dexter. I also think Jessica has no chance. They’re gonna make sure of it. I’m mixed on her. On one hand I feel bad that she gets no judges love. On the other she’s the only one who bolts to the couch when she’s announced as safe. She never even looks at the other contestants. She’s like a cat shot out of a cannon.

• Teeny Bikini says:

“bolts to the couch when she’s announced as safe” – yup, as the contestants dwindle down, her bolting is becoming more obvious. I don’t really care if she likes the others, but some people will want to vote for someone who is likable um.. in the traditional – more obvious – way. Would it kill her to wave bye or something? Then again, body language is her Achilles heel when she’s performing as well. So at least she’s consistent. :)

• Tina says:

It makes me wonder if she lacks the ability to recognize social cues. She mentioned in the infamous group disaster that, “drama follows her” which led me to believe she causes drama. But the more I watch her, the more I wonder if she just isn’t able to pick up on and follow basic social norms. This would explain why she is off-putting to others.

• LeahKittyS says:

That would not surprise me. I follow her on Twitter, and she is a very strange and eccentric person, unafraid to be honest about everything. That’s part of why I like her so much; she reminds me of myself. This in addition to a killer voice, great songwriting skills, and she’s beautiful.

• toadily says:

Wrong. The first thing Jessica did after being told she was safe was hug the person next to her, joyously, and give big grins and slap hands with the cheering section lining the floor.

• Ben says:

@Danny – completely agree that Jess has no genuine chance. I could see her getting as high as 3, but I don’t really see her making the finale. If she do, she will do a Crystal and lose. I think Jena has an outside chance, but is more likely a second place finisher. I do dismiss Dexter – he doesn’t have the x factor that Scotty has and it will tell in the end. And CJ and Sam are obviously not happening. At this point I’m down to two. Alex and Caleb. And my guess is that’s what the finale is likely to be, with Jess and Jena going out (in some order) 3rd and 5th, with a ‘surprise’ finish from Sam or Dexter in 4th.

• Tommyo2000 says:

It could be nerves too .. she should learn how to deal with that, but if she is so nervous when she gets called she just jumps out of her skin …

• karyn says:

@Ben: On behalf of Crystal Bowersox I’m a bit offended by your prediction that Jessica “will do a Crystal and lose.” If you think she will fail in the finale and lose, that’s not “doing a Crystal.” If you think she will get cheated out of the win after obviously being better in the finale, that would parallel what happened to Crystal but wouldn’t be a valid reason to pull your support from Jessica. In most finales, it’s debatable who did better, with most people erring on the side of their pre-finale favorite. That’s the only finale I can think of where virtually all commentators agreed Crystal was far better than the guy who beat her (I honestly can’t recall his name – Lee something?) but she lost anyway.

• Ben says:

@Karyn – be offended away. If you thought a little more about what I said before you decided to be offended, you might realise we are on the same page, but whatever. Unless you are trying to suggest that Crystal didn’t come second?

• giselle says:

Did Jessica get in front of Malaya when she was trying to sing her farewell song? Someone did, and I think it was Jessica. Maybe she thought the show was over. I like Alex’s voice, but his expression when he sings reminds me of a snobbish rich kid. On the other hand, I like CJ’s expression, but I don’t like his off-key voice. They should have eliminated 2 this week to speed this up. Also wish that Keith and Harry would stop trying to do their version of Blake and Adam. They just come off looking immature and not anything like Blake or Adam. As of this week, I would pick Caleb, Jena, Sam, and Jessica for the top four. CJ should have gone home several weeks ago, instead of Majesty.

• Jo March says:

I hope Dexter can’t. He’s stayed too long.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Such a sweet kid, but it was her time to go.

• iamraven07 says:

Malaya’s exit was the first time an elimination tugged my heart. I was so sad for her. Was it shocking? No. But was she the right person to go home? It’s arguable. She definitely deserved to outlast CJ at least. Nothing can convince me otherwise. I know she can’t win the show, but I’d rather have three more weeks of her hit-or-miss, than CJ’s certain miss.

• Akash says:

That blank deer in the headlights expression Sam Wolf has in that screencap is the same expression he ALWAYS has when he’s performing. Malaya’s performance was awful and she hasn’t been good enough all season for this to be an outrage, but Sam shouldn’t have been saved last week either.

• karyn says:

Up till this week, I agreed with you about Sam and I agree about the save, but Sam genuinely was much better this week. Both his facial expressions and his voice itself actually reflected some feeling and it was by far the best performance he’s given. Malaya’s was not, so even though I liked her and think she’s a sweet kid, I’m not outraged by her exit this week.

• Sierra1707 says:

On the subject of expressions, go back and look at Jena’s sour expression when she’s on the couch with the other finalists who have performed. She does NOT look happy when the others get good comments.

• marie says:

It is nice to hear someone finally speak the truth. Malaya should have never made it into the top anything. Her tone and pitch is much worse than CJ. She never sang in tune. I think the judges praised her so much to save their own reputations for even picking her. She is a sweet kid but needs more time to develop her craft. My bets on Jena or Caleb but I think Dexter could pull an upset if he continues to improve. I love his voice.

• andri iona Ciccone says:

American idol? I”ve seen livest action from a lovestruck ping pong ball…

2. Danny says:

There goes one of the Michigan girls. I was rooting for her as a person but I’ve got no real beefs with the decision. Jeez, even on the going out song, the cameras have to pan on Lopez all the time. These judges aren’t nearly as bad as last year, but they are really getting annoying. In looking back, maybe Kara wasn’t such a bad judge. Not that I want her to return, but she was better than Connick and miles ahead of Lopez.

• Tina says:

Umm…do you really think Harry is worse than Kara? You crazy!

• Danny says:

Tina- Yea. That’s not an endorsement of Kara. It’s more how bad Harry’s becoming. Last night was downright creepy, weird, not sure what other word fits there. Someone said needy in a post last night. That would work too. Attention ho would fit to.

• LeahKittyS says:

If he acts like this again next week I’m gonna make a sign, go to the show and hold it up on camera: “Go Home Harry, You’re Drunk.”

• Tina says:

Yeah, last night wasn’t his best, but he has been pretty great the rest of the season. Besides the awkwardness of hoisting a teenage girl on his shoulders, I found his behavior last night to just be goofy and kind of enjoyable. They were clearly told not to judge the duets, so it wasn’t a bad thing. I read someone else post about how they thought he was just trying to get this year’s very stiff contestants to loosen up, and I can buy that. They clearly need the encouragement.

Kara was like a pet dog seeking attention from its master (Simon) and constantly rejected. Didn’t like her at all and will never forget the Studio 57 comment (instead of Studio 54). I was born in 1985 and even I knew that was wrong. Beyond that, she rarely offered anything constructive, unlike Harry, who tries to always give specific feedback.

• karyn says:

Re not judging the duets, am I the only one offended by the fact that they keep saying they aren’t going to judge and then they offer up comments on some but not all. To be fair, they need to either comment on all or keep their mouths shut.

• CaliGirl says:

The teenager was Harry’s daughter, so not awkward…

• MAB says:

Who said it was Harry’s daughter? I searched the internet and all anyone said is that he had a random young girl on his shoulders. No one said it was his daughter except for a couple of people here. I would feel a lot better about it if it was his daughter. I really like Harry but I was disappointed in his antics Wednesday night.

• MamaLis says:

MAB, I remember that. No one said it “was” his daughter. I and others thought it simply LOOKED like his daughter.

• MAB says:

No, there were people who said to calm down it was his daughter. I just wanted to know where they got their information from or was it just assuming. If it was his daughter I would be very happily relieved as I said I really like Harry a lot. I just think it was a really stupid thing to do for many reasons and I just thought he was smarter than that.

• giselle says:

I agree with karyn about not judging the duets. If they aren’t worth judging, then Idol is saying they are just for filler. If the contestants are spending time trying to do an acceptable duet performance, in addition to their individual performances, then the duets deserve to be judged. As performers/entertainers, they will have to sing with other professionals. This is good experience for that situation. If some are judged, all should be judged.

• deedee says:

Kara? You mean the Kara who neck-snapped and “total-package’d” her way through her critiques while making Casey James feel “stranger danger!” all season? That Kara?

@Deedee + Teeny
        Yea, that’s the one. Again I’m not wanting her back. Your comment got me thinking though. The worst judge by far was Minaj. The 2nd worst by far is Lopez. Then it gets muddled some. I think Randy would be the 3rd worst because of the time he was on and the limited contributions. The 4th worst was probably Mariah. Though I think Mariah would have done better if not for Minaj. Minaj nuked that whole season. The 5th worst was Kara.
        Until these last few weeks I had Harry as a judge I liked. He was 3rd all time fav behind Paula and Keith. I know a lot of people don’t like Paula, but I sure did. Simon made the show. I get that. I felt he was a bully though. So I’d have him as 3rd until Harry came along.
        Harry’s been on a downward spiral recently. He went from 3rd best to worse than Kara. I’m not disputing that he’s got decent critiques when he’s on. He’s very clinical though. The clinical stuff I’m ok with. It’s the creep factor, kissing up to Lopez, and trying to upstage the contestants that I don’t care for.
        @Tina- I totally agree with that puppet to Simon analogy. Yeesh, she even started smoking again to try and pal up to the guy. I do like Harry’s feedback for the most part. So we agree on that. It’s just that the guy is starting to get real weird.

• Tina says:

Interesting….I can see your point after you ranked the judges, but I still think Harry’s judging ability should supersede his odd antics last night. BTW– I loved Paula as well but did you forget to rank Ellen (which makes since since she made little impact on the show)?

• Danny says:

Actually I didn’t forget Ellen. She’s just tricky to place. As a judge she wasn’t real insightful, but she wasn’t presented as a music expert. So I’m ok with that. For the one season she was on I liked her. I wouldn’t want that kind of commentary for a lot of seasons though. I don’t really think of her as a judge. She’s more of a personality I guess.

• Vince V. says:

I don’t think Nicki was all the bad. She was better than Mariah and Randy. Her critiques were about style most of them time and vocals the rest of the time. Aren’t those things important?

• In regards to critiques of style, you raise an interesting point. Given all the attention paid to the contestants’ performance skills (or lack thereof), it does make some sense to have a judge who comments on the elements of performance, including styling. However, I think it would be more beneficial if the comments were constructive, i.e., contained enough substance to be helpful to the contestants by giving them information to use moving forward. My complaint about Nikki Minaj as AI Judge wasn’t so much that she commented on style, but that (a) she struck me as consistently obnoxious/annoying, and (b) her idea of style was HIGHLY SUSPECT IMO. I just didn’t see her as someone who could comment on performance or style with any credibility.

• Akash says:

As a judge and as entertainment, Nicki wasn’t bad AT ALL. I’d rank the best judges on Idol as follows: 1) Simon 2) Harry 3) Nicki 4) J-Lo

• MAB says:

OMG! Nikki destroyed Idol last season. She was obnoxious and nasty. I cannot count how many of my friends stopped watching because they couldn’t stand her and they totally never came back. They lost all faith in Idol. Nikki made it so uncomfortable to watch. I was the last man standing out of all my friends and only because idol is my favorite show and I am loyal to a fault. Between the production manipulation making sure a girl wins and hiring Nikki I don’t know which was idol’s worse mistake.

• w aterbug says:

I think Minaj was totally creditable when it came to style and performance. Maybe not your style, but she is doing well in her industry if I remember correctly–and that is the pop/idol industry. Just saying..

• Elizabeth says:

Mariah was my least favorite judge. I wanted to like her, I really did, but I felt that she had a learning disorder that prevented her from making cogent remarks. She rarely made sense and babbled on FOREVER. Nikki was amusing, but I didn’t love her, and I intensely disliked the rivalry between her and Mariah. Steven Tyler rounds out my bottom three, with Randy nipping at their heels. In short, last year was hideous! Only Keith saved the judging panel.

• Teeny Bikini says:

@Danny. Kara? Seriously, Danny. ;)

3. CJ is outlasting a lot of people that probably should be around. Majesty, Sam(who would have been gone if not for the save) and Malaya have all shown to be better performers and have had better performances than he has, yet he is still around. I don’t quite understand why. The judges loved him last night, but he was really awful, not saying that Malaya didn’t deserve to go home, because she also had a real tough night, but CJ’s resume is a lot worse. Also my guess is that it was Bottom 2 instead of Bottom 3 because Sam was Bottom 3 and they didn’t want the judge’s to look silly for saving a person that landed right back in the Bottom.

• Stormy says:

I agree it should have been CJ going home, but I’m OK with this.

• MamaLis says:

Agreed Stormy.

Can you imagine being CJ? Blazing through the Idol Journey in consistently LAST place EVERY week! There’s a Badge of Honor!

“CJ is going home this week for SURE except – WOA! Someone was 50 votes worse than him once again!!!”

I’m thinking the math MUST run out next week.

• Stormy says:

I don’t think the order of leaving matters much now until they get down to the home visits and who gets a car. They all get paid to go on the tour. I’m hoping CJ goes next, followed by Jena, Alex [who for my money is just too weird], Dexter, and Caleb leaving Sam and Jessica for the finale. I don’t think that is how it will go, but it’s what I’d like.

• Danny says:

@Idol- that’s exactly what I thought on no bottom 3. I figured when he said it that Sam was probably #3. There’s no way even if he got the least amount of votes they were going to let him leave this week.

• marie says:

Bingo: I’m pretty sure that’s why they didn’t announce the Bottom 3.
        Sometimes I’m sure they read this board: they added back the loser’s “Idol Journey” montage.
        I’m going to miss Malaya, if only for how delightful she is.
        I don’t think CJ should have outlasted her, but in the end, I have to believe it’s going to be a difference of only a week; I think CJ pretty much HAS TO go next. Unless Sam really messes up next week.
        Did they announce the theme for next week? I didn’t hear it if they did.

• deedee says:

The Idol Journey montage probably came back because there’s no more 90 seconds of “judges’ deliberations” after the save-me song.
          I’m going to miss Malaya, too. She’s just lovely and sunny and makes me smile. *sigh*. Who’s left – Caleb “making the old ladies cry since 2014″ Johnson? :-/
          And, yeah, the Bottom 2 shenaniganry was to disguise the fact that Sam landed in the bottom 3. Maybe the casual home audience doesn’t see through their schtick, but they can’t fool the Idoloonie nation!

• Danny says:

Caleb “making the old ladies cry since 2014″ Johnson? :-/ If Michael ever does a top 25 all time Idoloonie comment list, that one from Deedee makes it.

• deedee says:

*blush* – thanks, Danny. :D

• Atticus1 says:

The bottom three has always gone to bottom two when there are fewer people left.

• @ Atticus1: While you are correct about Idol always going to a Bottom 2 rather than a Bottom 3, this is actually technically the earliest they’ve made the switch. A review of online season summaries shows that, for a majority of seasons, the switch to Bottom 2 rather the 3 occurs when we get to the Top 5 (Seasons 1,2,3,4,9,10, and 11). In Season 6, the last Bottom 3 occurred when we reached the Top 7 with only eliminations announced thereafter, and in Season 8 a Bottom 3 was used for the last time during the Top 5. Last season was actually the earliest use of a Bottom 2 when it was first used when we got to the Top 7 (where we would have been this season if not for the use of the Save).

• Jill Moya says:

My thoughts exactly.

• McJagger says:

Agree with Danny. The producers couldn’t possibly pimp Sam anymore (unless they brought out actual 70’s style pimps to introduce him–Huggy Bear!!) They’ve been hammering the “girls are going to love you” drum all season. They literally surrounded him with cute teens this week as if to say “See? SEE!! girls are gaga over Sam!!” Oh, and did they bring in Tom Hooper this week to get those extra tight close-ups of Sam?? I was afraid the camera might actually concuss him if it got any closer..

• karen says:

NOPE. Jena was in the bottom 3 after her miserable performance of I Love Rock n’ Roll. Sam was deserving of the save. He made a comeback. Next week, CJ or Dexter will be the next to go. If Jena doesn’t up her game, she could be looking at elimination the following week.

• Cup of Joe says:

Hmmm… Last time I checked, it was simply just a Bottom 2. Just sayin’! And no Jena in there either. Might wanna consider checking your facts, no?

As for Sam’s comeback… Seems more to me like a Matt Giraud or Mike Lynche rather than a Casey Abrams or Jessica Sanchez.

• karen says:

Well, everyone here at TVLine seems to think Sam was in the “bottom 3″ even though there was only a bottom 2 as you correctly point out. I’m simply saying that Jena deserved bottom 3 based on her solely on her shaky performance last night.

• Ben says:

@Karen – I find it more plausible that they didn’t want to show another girl in the bottom 3 (so few left) and particular the girl that they are really showing to be their favourite, than to simply save face around Sam. But I could well be wrong.

• Mary says:

That is your opinion that he deserved the save. IMO he wasn’t much better this week, I don’t think staring to a camera looking petrified is really what they had in mind, I guess it is a emotion so I will give him that. I will say that Jena arrangement did not work, but at least she was in tuned compare to a couple others. I would bet money that Sam was bottom three but I guess we will never know.

• deedee says:

That is exactly why there was an otherwise inexplicable Bottom 2 when there were still 8 people in the game.

• Teeny Bikini says:

They were both awful but, CJ’s fan base is clearly voting, dedicated – and larger than can be explained with logic, reason or hearing.

4. LeahKittyS says:

And now, a continuation of “American Idols and the Treasure of the Twelve Kingdoms”
    (Sorry, this one is particularly long)

(Scene: the island of Solumager. Alex, C.J., Caleb, Dexter, Jena, Jessica, and Malaya are running through the jungle, following the trail of the pirates. They stop to catch their breath.)
    Malaya: You think we’re still going the right way?
    Jena: We better be going the right way, or we’ll never get Sam back! Oh, they could be torturing him, or left him somewhere to die, or, or…anything!
    Alex: Calm down, Jena, please. (Looks in the distance) We’ll find him. I know we will
    Caleb: Sh. I think I hear something.
    (They all listen closely. The sound of cavorting pirates can be heard not far away.)
    Dexter: That’s them, all right. Let’s go!
    (They rush over to a clearing, where they find the pirate band pushing Sam around. He is blindfolded, and his hands and feet are bound. Then they stop and hold him steady. Black-beard removes the blindfold and stands before him in all his captain glory. Sam looks more terrified than ever.)
    Black-beard: Easy now, lad. It’s all in good fun. Now, why don’t you start by telling me who you are and what you’re doing on this island.
    Sam: (Tries to be brave) My name’s Sam Woolf. My friends and I came here aboard the good ship QUEEN HALEY. We’re just travels, that’s all. Adventurers.
    Black-beard: Ha! You can’t fool me! You and your little friends are after the Treasures of the Twelve Monarchs! (The pirates start to get restless.) But no matter. It will be ours soon enough.
    Sam: So where are the first six? And how are you gonna find them if you don’t have a map? There was only one with the clues on it.
    Black-beard: (Draws his sword) Don’t get sassy with me, boy. I don’t know what kind of game you and your mates are playing, but you’ve been one step ahead of us for too long.
    Alex: (Whispers) He’s pushing his luck. Why don’t we just jump in there?
    Caleb: (Whispers) Not yet. Wait for the right moment, or we’re dead.
    Black-beard: Look at us, Sam. Poor, destitute old wretches. With the fortune we could make off that treasure, we could live out our last days in luxury. Why would you deny us that?
    Sam: (Toughening up) You don’t deserve it.
    (The pirates glare at him.)
    Black-beard: You’re testing my patience, lad. What makes you lot more deserving than us? What we you going to do with the treasures? Add them to your antique collections? Don’t lie, you were probably going to sell them to some museum for a profit. How are you any different from us?
    Sam: You’re pirates. You lie and cheat and steal to get what you want. We’re not like you. We don’t kill people if they get in our way. But my friends might just try when they come to rescue me. (Struggles in vain)
    Black-beard: (Laughs, and the other pirates join him) Don’t get your hopes up, Sammy. I caught a glimpse of your friends. They’re nothing compared to us. We’ll use you to lure them in, and then we can take you out all together. Won’t that be fun?
    (The pirates cheer. The others in the bushes look nervous.)
    Sam: Well, if going to kill us, at least answer me this. Why are you guys so afraid of the beacon towers?
    (Everyone falls silent. The pirates look serious.)
    Black-beard: Oh, if you only knew the secrets behind those beacons, boy. I can’t risk taking these oafs up there, not with all the fuel on us.
    Black-guts: Hey, I heard that!
    Black-beard: Shut up! Now, as I was saying, if those beacons were to be lit, there’s no way we would get off this island.
    Sam: But what would stop you? The island’s been deserted for hundreds of years.
    Black-beard: (Points his sword at Sam) Why would I tell you that? You’re clearly bent on stopping us. Now I have an offer for you, and I’ll only make it once. You and your little friends beat us to Valtus, but I’ll let you live if you give me King David’s Heart Stone.
    Sam: (Frightened again) I don’t have it.
    Black-beard: (Points the sword at Sam’s throat) Don’t lie to me.
    Sam: I swear I don’t! One of the others must have it. And if you do anything to hurt them–
    Black-beard: Then what? What can you do to stop me, little boy?
    (The pirates all laugh. Black-beard sheaths his sword and turns his back.)
    Black-beard: You’re not worth the blood on my sword. Someone else finish him.
    Black-tooth: (Ties some rope into a noose, evil grin) Gladly.
    (He stands up, but then three gunshots are fired from the bushes. No one is killed, but the pirates all jump, scared. Dexter jumps out with his gun pointed, and C.J. is right behind him.)
    Dexter: You lay a finger on him and I’ll fill you up with lead!
    Black-beard: (Draws his sword) I’d like to see you try!
    (A fight breaks out, with C.J. and Dexter beating the pirates, forcing them to run away. In the middle of the chaos, Caleb picks up Sam and runs back into the jungle with him over his shoulder. When they gat back to the others, Alex cuts Sam’s hands and feet loose, and they all embrace him.)
    Jessica: Oh, thank God you’re okay!
    Sam: Thanks, guys. That was close.
    (C.J. and Dexter return to them.)
    C.J.: Well, I don’t think we’ll be hearing from them again.
    Dexter: Yeah, but now I wonder what old Black-beard was taking about. What’s supposed to happen if the beacons get lit?
    Jena: Who knows. Pirates have all kinds of weird superstitions.
    Jessica: Well, they’re bent on them, so we better get that Heart Stone back to Valtus. Who has it?
    Malaya: (Pulls it out) Right here. Aw, man, does this mean I have to go back?
    C.J.: Sorry, that’s what it means. But all you have to do is follow the trail we took to get here. You don’t even need the map.
    Alex: (Pulls out the map) Good, because we do.
    Sam: (Gives Malaya some food and fuel) Good luck. (As she makes her way back) So do you think we can find our way to the next kingdom from here?
    Jessica: What other choice do we have? We’ll only waste time if we backtrack. Those pirates might be more careful around us, but they’re still going after the treasures.
    Caleb: So what are we waiting for? Let’s get back on the road! (As they set out, he pulls Sam close to him.) And you, stay close.
    (The seven travellers follow the path together.)
    TO BE CONTINUED…

• Danny says:

If only Sam would talk to the judges like he did to the pirates.

• Patrick says:

When Leah cracks up…and she surely will……pretenders like you will not be around!

• LeahKittyS says:

Actually, I found Danny’s comment very funny. Who are you calling a pretender?

• Patrick says:

Your infantile ego has no limit…….

• LeahKittyS says:

Good grief, for the hundred millionth time, I was commissioned! Why can’t you just let me do my job and make people happy?

• Ben says:

Lol – I love the way how anyone who has creativity and uses it has the ‘ego’ card played. Like Majesty’s ‘massive ego’. There is little in this world more egotistical, more self-aggrandizing, more designed to put yourself on high and others below, than the bullying remark designed only to put someone else down. Think before you speak – think… why exactly am I putting this person down? What does it achieve? If you are honest with yourself, you will see that the only thing it achieves is to make you feel superior.

• Elizabeth says:

Yes, Sam needs to pretend the audience is full of pirates, not swaybot girls!

You’re welcome :)

• Patrick says:

It is stunning that you do not realize that Logan is just playing with you for clicks on his movie review site. One day you will appreciate my judgement but only if you ditch the grade school games.

• Anon says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
      That is all

5. Tiff says:

I agree with you, Slezak, that Malaya wasn’t quite ready, but she’s had a couple of amazing weeks, compared to Sam’s mostly-mediocre ones. She wasn’t one of the best in my opinion, but it’s pretty shocking that she went home before CJ (consistently sharp and boring) and Dexter (mostly boring, can sing, but chooses the same song every week).

Now only two girls are left in the competition. Let’s hope they can stick it out. And please, America, stop letting CJ stay!

• RRM says:

I’d say CJ will be on for two more weeks…he’s like the Lazaro for S13 :P

• Danny says:

@Tiff- Why keep any girls in the competition? They only make Lopez jealous with rage. No, I’d much prefer that the girls with some talent get tossed so that Idol can focus on a plastic no talent judge in the middle of every flippin song.
      On a more serious note, CJ and Sam are probably next to go. I don’t really care what order.

• Erin says:

I think that had they not used the save on Sam, it would have been the same two in the bottom and they would have saved Malaya. They really like her improvement arc and it would have been so sweet and joyous. Now I’m annoyed again that we were robbed from a good save night.

• jga94 says:

I do not think that they would have saved Malaya…I think that the judges or producers or whoever really had a chosen number of contestants that they wanted to save all along. For so many consecutive weeks, the bottom have always been the same….the night Sam was the lowest…he was with CJ and Malaya….and this was not the 1st time Malaya was there…therefore, i think they considered who they think will be the next bottom dwellers when they gave the save to Sam….so no….I do not think they wanted to save Malaya…

• karen says:

Uh, Sam always sings in tune, which is more than can be said for Malaya, CJ or Dexter, or even Jessica and Jena at times. Dexter’s weaknesses were very apparent on his duet last night. Last night, Jena’s performance was DISMAL, second only to Malaya and CJ. Sam has true talent, so says David Cook. The Idoloonies on this website are simply in pile-on mode when it comes to Sam. The guy has an excellent voice.

• marie says:

Have to disagree; Dexter’s pitch is usually spot on.

• J says:

Sam sings in a 3 note range every week. Of course he will be in tune. Others you mention take greater vocal chances.

• karen says:

wrong. He has range, as evidenced by last night’s performance.

• BrazenSongBird says:

Um just no, J. Sam may sing less bombastic songs than say, Caleb; I’m with you on that. But when you start ranking on the sound he produces and his vocals, you completely lose me. The kid has a gorgeous voice with a honey tone that’s nearly pitch perfect every time. And for a young Baritone he has a pretty decent range. He’s not a tenor, probably won’t be. So the vocal chances he takes will be different than say Caleb or Alex, for that matter. Those are the facts.

• Gailer says:

I agree, Sam at least sings in tune. I’m full of glee that Malaya was sent packing.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

I could not agree more. Sam sings in tune, ALWAYS! Sam has a beautiful tone, ALWAYS! Sam is boring, sometimes. Sam has a huge upside. He is mega talented. He is worth keeping. One day, he will just let it rip. Should that happen soon, he will be this years idol winner, something karaoke Dexter, or never in tune C.J. could never do.

• kaki says:

Yes to Alan….. totally agree….I am never worried that Sam will not be in tune….. he is ALWAYS in tune because he oozes musicality…. he is actually a great musician, who doesn’t know it.

• Mary says:

I will agree that Sam has talent and does sing in tune, however I don’t think he was ready for this competition. He needs to find a way to exert himself. There are a lot of people who can sing in tune but you need something else to make it in this business. Singing monotone every week will not do it.

• Akash says:

“Sam always sings in tune.” Uh…yeah the sound my printer makes when it’s out of toner is “in tune” also but that doesn’t make it musical.

6. Tina says:

I hated her song choice last night, but she definitely went too early. It was CJ’s time, but oh well…he won’t last much longer.

7. Mark says:

Not a surprise, and not evidence that the save was wasted. Still, she was a victim of the show’s

• Mark says:

Obsession with teen contestants.

• Name This Tune says:

Leaving Sam as the sole teen left.
        You would think that Idol would rethink their love affair with teens. It doesn’t work real well.

• Tommyo2000 says:

Jessica sanchez, Lauren Alaina, and Jordan sparks, and Scotty were all teens and they all did very well…

• Tina says:

I would throw Skyler in with that group too. It all comes down to confidence and believability. Some teens lack confidence (Sam), while others are obviously just imitating performers instead of really feeling the meaning of the song (Malaya).

• Mark says:

I would discount Lauren and Scotty. Those two were picked from the beginning and pimped by the judges and producers from day one. The storyline of the entire season was written around them. Everything about that season was bogus. I don’t know what to say about Jordin. She was good but rarely spectacular. Melinda overshadowed her the entire season. Being tall and pretty certainly didn’t hurt her. Jessica, yes, was a true prodigy. I would throw Allison into that mix as well, and she has matured very nicely as a performer even though her career hasn’t really taken off. Overall, however, the teen performances suffer when compared to the older contestants. I think Malaya could be a fantastic singer someday, but this year she just wasn’t ready,

8. What the Deb? says:

David Cook is my all-time favorite idol, so it was great to see him on performance night. How about a petition to switcheroo Randy with David C as the mentor? I think for sure we might have some actionable items for the contestants to go on to improve their performances.

• Name This Tune says:

I think David would rather be making music.

• Every single mentor that has come in, from David Cook to Chris Daughtry to Adam Lambert has been better than Randy. Randy has done nothing. Great job if you can get it, but a waste of time no doubt about it.

And I up-vote you again.

• What the Deb? says:

Agreed. I know that Randy has never been the most eloquent of speakers, but I am requesting the producers keep him to a simple smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.

• McFudge says:

They have been terrific…but I want to hear ALL of them sing. Ah, wouldn’t an Allison/Adam duet be heavenly? So many former idols, so little time….

• Teeny Bikini says:

• BrazenSongBird says:

I think it’s the Alabama factor. God help us if Dexter goes home before him. We’ll be stuck with CJ til the (second) confetti shower!

• Tina says:

I have loved David since her described himself has word worm in one of the pre-performance packages. I remember Simon criticizing him for coming across as boring in it, but I found it charming and refreshingly against the bada$$ rocker stereotype. He is intelligent and showed that in his mentoring this week.

• Danny says:

Randy’s gotten the biggest free ride since Christian Laetner on the 92 Olympic Dream Team.

• The Beach says:

Oh Danny, since I bleed U of KY blue, your mention of the name Christian Laetner was like driving a stake through my heart. :-0

• Danny says:

@ Beach- Since I root for Michigan and bleed maize and blue- I thought you folks had ice in your veins after what ya did to us. Congrats on the win. It was a great game. Except for the final score, I enjoyed it.

• karen says:

David Cook recognized Sam’s talent. Hello, Sleazak. When are you going to give the guy a break?

• Name This Tune says:

I am not a Randy defendee but the Randy can’t be responsible for the poor quality of singers they brought in. Some things these guys should know how to do before they get there.

• Stormy says:

Randy is the second luckiest guy in show business, right behind Ringo Starr.

• LeahKittyS says:

Oh, no, you did NOT just mention Randy Jackson and Ringo Starr in the same sentence! Didi you not see the Beatles tribute Grammys special? Ringo and Paul have still got it. Did Randy Jackson ever have it? Did he ever have anything, really?

9. Name This Tune says:

There isn’t any surprises here. The top 5 are going to be Caleb Dexter Alex Jessica Jena.
    What order CJ and Sam leave in is irrelevant. And it’s going to take 3 more weeks to get this point.
    Ho-hum.

• karen says:

I’m willing to bet you’re wrong with your prediction. Dexter will depart before Sam. If Sam has a really good week, he could even outlast Jena.

• marie says:

Definitely would seem CJ doesn’t make it to top 5, but it’s possible Sam really did dodge a bullet with the save. I think it’s at least possible that Sam can hit the top 5, preventing Jessica or Dexter – or even Jena – from getting there. I think the only locks for top 5 are Caleb and Alex at this point.

• Mary says:

I don’t know I think those southerners are going to keep voting for Dexter. I don’t think there are enough teens or old folks to keep Sam in. Could be interesting.

10. I like all of the singers that are left , BUT , based on how they had sung , CJ should have gone home the last 2 weeks

11. Blinged Up says:

I’ll miss Malaya. She was always so entertaining, and the show will be a little more boring without her.

• Tina says:

I loved her too. She had a refreshingly immature personality which I found endearing. I will especially miss how hyper and out-of-breath she became when Ryan asked her questions. Her replies were so all over the place!

12. Kaba says:

I couldn’t deal watching Malaya cry.
    Which isn’t to say it wasn’t too hard to see her going home…just didn’t want it happening before CJ left.
    At this rate with CJ I’m calling a shock elimination next week.

13. :( says:

yes it was so obvious Sam was the third in the bottom 3. Have we ever just had a bottom 2 instead of 3 this early? Would not be surpised if we go back to bottom 3 next week. Have a feeling this is gonna be like season 10, where the two remaining girls go to the final 3.

• Stormy says:

Maybe it’s because the results show is 30 minutes now.

• Lynn says:

I looked back through season 4 and all top 8 shows listed a bottom 3. I checked 4 because back then, results shows were 30 minutes like they are now. I thought at first that it was just easier to break up the contestants into groups of 4 and pull the lowest vote getter that way, but now I’m not so sure. Everyone is just assuming Sam was in the bottom 3, but it may have been Dexter or Jena or Jessica. I just have a very bad feeling that another girl is headed home next week. I have a feeling we’re looking at a top 5 with 4 guys in it.

• Stormy says:

If the last girl standing is Jessica rather than Jena, I’m cool with that.

• Mary says:

I know it is unrealistic but I want them to be the top 2 standing. Caleb talented but cannot see him as solo artist, fronting a band yes. Alex is creative but I do not like his voice and I like coffee house singers but not on a regular basis. Truthfully I would only purchase music from these two girls post AI.

• MamaLis says:

I’m gonna risk getting Boo’d because I know a lot of people really like Jessica in here, but she’s really “leveled-off” for me. I originally voted for her, but to me she’s starting to miss a few really significant things – one of them being the ability to accurately self-assess.

It’s one thing if she allowed herself to be pressured into prancing the stage on Wednesday OR, simply misinterpreted what the judges actually wanted. But she appeared so pleased with herself and what was really a “talent show” – level of performance! Everytime I see that little hip dance she did I shudder! Little girls do that – you can’t do that as grown woman on TV!

And while I agree that Alex could loosen up a bit, for sure, you CANNOT compare what he’s been doing with songs and arrangements with Jessica. Furthermore, while CJ is unquestionably a weaker singer than Jess, both CJ and Alex at least have life in the their lower bodily extremities while singing. They are NOT in a body-cast and you can’t tell me they are!

There’s just getting to be too many things..

• Mary says:

@Mama I agree that Jessica needs to loosen up on stage but I think she is making progress. As far as CJ and Alex, CJ does move a little more but is so out of tune he shouldn’t even be there. Alex is really not that much better than Jessica other than the one time he did the pee pee dance which was quite funny. I see Jessica as an introvert, like Sam but is trying to take what the judges say and incorporate it – might not always be pretty but is at least trying. Stage presence can be worked. Also I think she is smiling more because everyone kept saying to her smile, loosen up. The poor girl can’t win for trying. First and foremost I go by voice and she is one of the top ones.

14. metintodd says:

Dexter is so awful. I can’t stand the hokey country music. Having grown up in the northeast, country music was only a rumor. I can’t say I’m a bigger fan after watching the country singers on Idol. There’s no melody and no real music going on. I felt the same way about Scotty McCreary. And it’s the same boring thing every week. I don’t know who’s voting for Dexter but I wish they’d stop.

• LeahKittyS says:

I’m from Massachusetts and I’ve always been a country music fan. I like that the songs tell stories and use real instruments, and you can actually understand what the people are saying. That being said, I find Dexter incredibly generic and don’t know how he’d stack up against other male country stars today.

• marie says:

I agree with your comments about country music completely, Leah (but there’s something about Dexter I really do enjoy).

• Timmah says:

The same people that voted for Scotty, I’m guessing.

• Tina says:

He doesn’t sound bad, but I feel like he acts slightly full of himself. Not in an obvious way, but I noticed glimpses.

• Stormy says:

The funny thing is that the only real music being produced today is coming out of Nashville and the UK. Pop music is crap. The writers can’t write and the singers can’t sing. Most singer songwriters are heading to Nashville to work with better co-writers, musicians, arrangers etc.

• karen says:

Say wuh???? I think not….

• Adam Fachry says:

“Most singer-songwriters are going to Nashville”

Mmm…wrong. Even though you used the wird “most”, your implication that only Nashville produces the majority of US’ singer-songwriters and real music is inaccurate. For country, maybe.

I can name a ton of singer-songwriters currently residing in New York (Annie Clark, Ezra Koenig, Tunde Adebimpe, Micharl Gira, David Byrne, Matt Berninger, Sharon Jones, David Longstreth, Caroline Polachek), LA (Chris Owens, Frank Ocean, Erika M. Anderson, Julia Holter, Theresa Wayman ), Portland, (Carrie Brownstein, Stephen Malkmus, Colin Meloy, Danny Seim, Eric Earley), Boston (Roger Miller, Amanda Palmer, J Mascis, Frank Black), Austin (Britt Daniel, Will Sheff, Andrew Kenny, Conrad Keely, James Perealli), and many more.

• Adam Fachry says:

*Petralli

• Adam Fachry says:

Also, if I were one of the musicians I listed above, I’d find your comment about Nashville and UK as the producers of “real music” offensive. They may not be popular, but they sure are critically acclaimed and in this day and age, being critically acclaimed is a more accurate measure for someone’s talent than topping all the charte everywhere.

• karen says:

Anuhea of Hawaii. She is fantastic.

• ksrenb says:

@metintodd-totally agree with you. I’m a Floridian and surrounded by rednecks and country music. I’ll take pop music any day over country. It just seems like such a simpleton genre. Now I’ll go hide while the hate comes lol. Just my opinion.

• marie says:

New York City born and bred; I’m not the biggest country fan but I’ve certainly enjoyed a healthy amount of it over the years. I’m also over 60 and I remember the rock music and the country music of 30, 40 years ago. Back in the 60s and 70s, a lot of what was called rock back then would be called country now: plenty of the Eagles, Grateful Dead, early Doobie Brothers, many others. And modern country is more like classic rock than plenty of today’s pop and alternative.
      What I’m saying is that the line between genres is very thin, almost arbitrary; don’t be so quick to dismiss an entire genre, on geographical or any other grounds.

• karenb says:

Marie-I’m in my late 40’s and don’t care for any of those bands you mentioned. I love all kinds of music but I just can’t get into country. Especially the twangy stuff

• karenb says:

@Marie-so jealous that you grew up in the city. My favorite place on the planet

• marie says:

I agree that taste in music is a very personal thing; there is no right or wrong.
            (And I love NYC too; I hope I never have to leave for any reason. I’ve traveled and there are plenty of places I really like – California where my sister lives is spectacularly beautiful – but I really don’t see myself living anywhere else.)

15. Mary says:

Not surprise with the bottom two but does anyone find it ironic that it wasn’t the bottom three.
    I would bet 100.00 it was Sam and they wanted to save face. I felt bad for Malaya such a sweet girl but I guess America prefer quiet out of tune to screechy out of tune. I just hope that CJ is the next one to go because I don’t care how much emotion he projects he has not sung one week in tune and this is a SINGING competition. Well five guys to 2 girls hopefully those two girls will outlast at least three of the guys. If there is any justice it will be CJ, Sam
    and then Dexter. Lets see how this plays out. If the other two girls go first I will be out. None of the guys interest me.

16. toadily says:

Ummm, Michael, according to your interview with Cook, he arrived on Monday, the show aired Wednesday, so he didn’t have a week with Idol to record, no?

• Kaba says:

Correct.

• Michael Slezak says:

But they could have let him perform on tonight’s results telecast.

• PWellington says:

While that would have been ideal, I’m thinking it prolly would not have worked logistically. He had a gig scheduled in Iowa this Friday (which was unfortunately cancelled yesterday by the organizers but who could know that at the time)? Plus it seems to me that this mentoring thing was sort of a last minute deal.So sadly, I guess there was not enough time for a live performance by David – especially without his band….although it would have been possible for him to perform Wicked Game – a cover he performs at virtually all his shows of late (and kills it each and every time). Hmmm,yeah, he could have used the house band as backup for that I guess…but alas, Idol seems to be a big blind lumbering ox floundering around to and fro; it’s just not a show that can or will ever get out of its own way. But yeah totally wasted opportunity to hear what a ‘real’ singer sounds like for at least one results show. Pity.

• toadily says:

From your lips to god’s ear. And while you’re making that happen, can you substitute about 50% of JLo face time for Keith face time? And give us more time to actually see, relate to, and become fans of contestants? Thanks.

• Mary says:

Michael it might have been David choice not to perform his new music until his record is finish. He probably would of thought it was not beneficial when he had nothing to promote.

17. Spencer says:

Malaya could have won 3-4 years from now

• Kaba says:

I highly doubt AI will be around come 3 or 4 years from now.
      At this point I encourage every youth to either rush to AI next season or just put some waiting time on the voice.
      Season 14 is already confirmed to have major changes to formatting and time period.

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote. If Season 14 does go on, with all the changes suggested, then either that or Season 15 will be the final run.

• Danny says:

@Kaba + Leah- If it goes.. hey, the show’s had a good run. We kind of got spoiled with Seasons 7-11 being so good with 9 being the only dud. Even 9 had 2 real good singers though. 12 sank it and 13 wasn’t able to bring the viewers back. Then add in the natural viewership loss that pretty much every tv show has, and Idol has been one of the most successful series’ ever.

• Ben says:

People have been predicting the death of idol forever. There simply is no basis on which to predict its death at this point. It’s ratings, as they stand today, are still perfectly sustainable. The issue will be if it continues to drop. If they stay static from now, season 17 will happen. If they go down, it could be over by the end of season 15 – but that would be the absolute soonest it would happen. Fox will be in no hurry to do away with Idol.

• LeahKittyS says:

I don’t think the ratings are going to stabilize; they will only drop as time goes on. And the COO of FOX has said so himself that American Idol is winding down. I give it two more years maximum before it stops being worth the money it takes to make it.

• Lynn says:

It’s continued to drop every week. It’s off the Nielsen top 20 now and that was last week’s show which was actually pretty good.I can’t imagine it gaining viewers after Wednesday’s debacle. For those who have watched the show since season 1 (or 2 like me) I would guess we will not recognize next year’s Idol.

• MamaLis says:

Compared to a show that pays big-buck actors, it can’t be that expensive.

And however “relatively” low the ratings are, as of two weeks ago it was still out-performing any other FOX show during the week.

• Ben says:

@Lynn – I have to admit, the one thing I am worried about is not recognising next year’s idol. I don’t think that would be the right move.

Mamalis – it remains one of the most inexpensive shows, while also remaining one of the most profitable. Idol has more revenue streams than most other shows.

18. Mike says:

Not her time to go…. Shame on you, CJ if you perform bad next week!

19. danin says:

No surprises tonight.CJ&Mal both suck, even though Mal made minor improvement past few weeks,CJ picks better songs to be sucky on.

• danin says:

And it’s about dang time they went adorable or not, even though they propped up those lacking in the “presence” dept which is practically all the contestants who are left.

20. MAB says:

I feel bad but I kind of knew deep down it would be Malaya going home.

21. Valencia says:

Why is CJ still around?

22. Kaba says:

At this rate I want Jess to win. I have no clue why, just something about her clicks with me more than the rest.
    I see this vast potential in her that she still hasn’t lived up to and when she goes into her upper register I just believe it.
    That…and I’m really not aboard the Jena or Caleb train
    And I can only see Alex as a runner up strangely…I just think he’d be too underwhelming as a winner.

• Jerry Paris says:

Jess win? Give us a break! She stinks.

• Carol says:

I agree. Her youtube videos show a completely authentic aritistic side with her original songs that really hasn’t come to fruition on the show with the cover songs I think she just needs to perform her own songs with her guitar at the mic stand. If you only listen to her vocals last night, she was stellar. This insistence that she roam the stage is stupid since it’s not her thing, and especially since Sam and Alex are just as awkward and they don’t ask them to do it – sexist double standard. Same as the double standard when Harry slammed her for singing a sadistic song with a happy melody/disposition while praising Alex for doing the same thing with a woman-stalker song.

She knows how to write a melody and a hook. Can’t wait for her album.

• billnyc says:

I think it’s a matter of levels. Sam is still at level one … they are still trying to have him make eye contact! Whereas if I remember correctly, their first comment weeks ago to Jess was to loosen up and emote. She did that and graduated “level 1″. Then they challenged her to move around the stage. She did that. Now they are challenging her once more … ok great you’re connecting, moving, now go in for the kill (ie Keith said “you’re this close”). So I do not think they are giving Jess a double standard, I just feel they are pushing her because she can do it and has the maturity to take hard feedback. Whereas with some of the other contestants, the judges have to be more “kindergarten” with them. Coaching/judging/mentoring is an art … you want to nurture and push, but not push so hard or work so far removed from their personalities that you defeat the chance of them succeeding.

• Name This Tune says:

They are saying to her the same things they were told when they were coming up in the business. It’s part of being the whole package. The question she must ask herself is: Where do you se yourself 5 years from now? Does she want to continue to sing in bars and make YouTube videos? Or does she want something more? Because her opportunities are pretty limited if she doesn’t up her game.

23. Timmah says:

Season 17… wow. I can’t decide whether that’s optimism or pessimism :).

• Name This Tune says:

We’re talking about Fox, the network that still lives off The Simpsons. I can see them still clinging to Idol for another 10 years.

24. Ben says:

I have to say, for all my support of this season early on, it is steadily going down my rankings week after week, as those singers that I feel actually have talent (even if they don’t show it every week) keep going home week after week while CJ, Dexter and Sam continnue to get free passes and waste the save.

I simply have no more love for this season. I liked watching and listening to Ben, MK, Majesty and Malaya, and while none of them were really in a position where I could have seen them winning (they all had multiple bad weeks), its still ridiculous who is hanging around while they all go home.

• Danny says:

Hey Ben- missed ya the last few weeks. Ironic ya say that. I’m sort of the same, but for different reasons. I’m going to finish watching this season. I’ll enjoy it. It’s not like last year where I struggled to watch the end. It just seems that there’s no moments anymore. Some decent songs, but nothing that makes me go WOW!!! and replay it 20 times.
      My thinking is more along the lines of why am I listening to 2 minutes of adequate singing and then 5 minutes of useless judges babble when I could just turn on the radio and get 7 minutes of songs I like.
      Now that it’s finally gotten through my thick skull that whoever does well on this show isn’t likely to go any further there’s really no sense getting invested in it. It’s ok music, but we’ve all got Zeppelin, Beatles, Who- or just whoever ya like- on our playlists. I might as well play that if I’ve got an hour or 2 to kill.

• Ben says:

I’ve enjoyed plenty of the performances – and lots of the studios from all idol seasons (this one included) will remain in my playlist. I haven’t talked as much on the idol stories since Sam got saved, because that one decision was just (for me) a microcosm of everything that idol gets wrong.

• Ben says:

Also, I agree that idol has the singing/judge balance wrong. It’s a great judge panel, and I enjoy their humour, but more time needs to be devoted to each song.

25. Stormy says:

Did Ryan say what next week’s them is?

26. Joannie says:

So they only revealed a bottom 2. Because Sam would have been the other person in the bottom 3? I’m guessing yes

• karen says:

I’m guessing no. Jena deserved to be in the bottom 3 after that disaster of a performance last night.

• Jerry says:

But why wouldn’t they show Jena in the bottom 3? She had been there before and is clearly not a producers’ favorite. Heck, even Lauren Alaina was put into the bottom 2 before.

• Mary says:

Your in the minority, in fact I think your the only one on most of the boards that believe that.

27. S. says:

Oh dear, we’re gonna have someone win that was born the year Kelly won aren’t we? That could conceivably happen if there’s 17 because you’d be right there at an 18th. There are already people competing that can’t remember a time American Idol didn’t exist. Their entire conscious life, it’s been there.

28. Tina says:

I love Jena. She has gotten extremely confident on stage and it is refreshing to watch someone who doesn’t look terrified (which is how the majority of the remaining performers look).

29. Willie Nape says:

Malaya may have turned a bit generic when she was reined in but she delivered when she had to deliver. She also has had better trajectory than the others so this elimination is a bit difficult.

Her song choice last night was kind of meh but she still sounded, and performed better than CJ and even Jessica (all that dead walking and singing is what you want? Ugh).

• toadily says:

Read David Cook’s interview with Michael in which he discloses how producers created the stage blocking – the walk leading nowhere – for Jessica. She, and others, could maybe take a lesson from P2 who stuck by his guns and wouldn’t be pushed in a direction he felt wasn’t true to who he is.

30. Adam Fachry says:

OMG my prediction cane true. Last week I predicted Malaya’s exit on top 8 part deux, Sam on top 7, and ~Lazaro Harris~ on top 6. Let’s see if I’d get it right again in the next two weeks.

LOL @ the Idol producer not showing the bottom three. Like some have said here, I bet the third one rounding up the bottom vote-getters was Sam. They’re ashamed to reveal it because people would laugh at them for saving him and making a big deal about his save.

• GuitarBlue says:

Dough no, but they had no problem with showing bottom 3 for 8 players last week , so some kind of trickery is at hand. .

If they went to bottom 2 at 7 players, that would not be questionable – but to suddenly switch now — gives reason to question.

31. Tom says:

Please let me finish my thought….. I can’t believe some of these contestants will make it further than Melinda Doolittle did. I just can’t believe that of all the thousand of people they looked at we have someone like CJ still in. God love him, he’s sweet, but really?

32. Jerry Paris says:

Well, she was eliminated. But, she had some good moments! This boring year needed her energy and spunk. We have left a bunch of stiffs. People still talk about Majesty Rose. I would like to know why she dressed in 50s style cloths from the goodwill. Take a look at her top 11 performance….Dreadful! Was she in a remake as Dorothy in the Wizard Of Oz? I think people thought she was crazy wearing that garbage. Why didn’t fashion guru JLO assist in her wardrobe? Plus, Randy could have suggested songs suited to her, not the crap she sang the last few weeks!

• marie says:

You posted here the last few weeks under a different name, didn’t you? “Honey” something, right?

• LeahKittyS says:

And “Jim.” But Matt Webb Mitovich laid down the law with those names, so the person needed a new one. And people call me a troll for my stories? At least I give my actual opinions and am polite about it as well.

• marie says:

“Laid down the law”? I would LOVE to hear more about that (but this may not be the place for that, I understand that). Anyway, Leah, anyone who would call YOU a troll…well, if I were to say what I thought of such people, then I’D be verging into troll territory myself!

• LeahKittyS says:

I remember after one comment by “Honey,” Matt replied in bold print “Okay, game’s over.” I assume he blocked that username after that. And the hate hasn’t been so bad lately; I think they gave up trying to fight me LOL.

• Ben says:

Majesty dressed like a Neo soul singer – exactly what she is. You don’t have to have a sense of style. Stick to what’s in, be a sheep. Hang on, can trolls be sheep? Oh, whatever.

33. AlyB says:

I’m not at all surprised by the results tonight. Malaya picked a horrible song and topped the bad choice off with a terrible vocal. I do think she was a better, more entertaining contestant than CJ or Sam and wouldn’t have minded seeing her a few more weeks but don’t think she had any real shot at winning. Unless CJ delivers some miraculous vocal next week I think he’ll be next with Sam right behind him. CJ has hung on after some really horrific performances though so I suppose anything could happen. I’m hoping for a Jessica, Jena, Caleb & Alex top 4. I really like Jess and think its hilarious the way her very existence seems to deeply tweak JLo. JLo can’t really be that cold to Jena since she put her through on a wild card so Jess alone is getting the full Haley treatment. Good thing that tends to backfire with voters. At least she hasn’t called her “baby”. I think Jess might laugh in her face.

• Tina says:

J Lo is a dancer and I think that Jessica’s awkward movement bothers her, but she doesn’t want to be mean and say that Jessica can’t move. She (Lopez) may not be greatest singer, but no one can dispute her ability to perform (I luh ya papi excluded — horrendous). If Jessica weren’t so stiff and awkward (she has a mannish walk to her — very “all-business”), I may agree that J Lo was icing her out. However, Jessica is no Haley.

• skipper2425 says:

But JLo certainly made a “Haley” move on Jessica last night when Jessica and Dexter were taking Harry and Keith’s chairs over for a bit while they were in the stands. As Jessica rounded the table to take the seat, JLo pushed Jess’ s chair arms length away from her and then backed her chair to be closer to Dexter. I wasn’t quite sure JLo had issues with Jess ala Haley style, more than just her judging comments but she REALLY show
        ed she does with that move. I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt but with that b itch move, hell to the no!

• Adam Fachry says:

Can’t believe I’m defending JLo, But to me,she didn’t give Jess as much a Haley treatment as Harry and Keith did. Especially during the Pumped Up Kicks performance, you can tell JLo was trying her hardest to counter Harry’s argument. I love Jess, but she deserved to be criticized for her Call Me performance. If she wasn’t comfortable with the song, then pick another one. I’ve said it before that if she were to perform another contemplative singer-songwriter number, I wouldn’t mind at all. Because I’d rather watch the aforementioned ind of performance than the awkward though vocally on point Call Me.

• Adam Fachry says:

*kind

• Mary says:

I don’t think her vocal were awkward, in fact I think it was one of the best of the night. NOW the staging was awkward, it is like they had her go 180 in moving around. In my mind they had her go from zero to 100 in a matter of one week. It didn’t bother me that she didn’t as JLo stated sex up the performance, we have to remember that Jessica is an artist not a auto pop singer. To me there is a difference.

• Adam Fachry says:

You read my post wrong. I said awkward though vocally on point. The awkward part referred to the staging. Also being an artist and auto-tuning are not related to sexing-up at all. There are tons of non-commercial artists who have written sexed-up songs and able to perform them with conviction. Case in point, the artist Jess covered: Debbie Harry.

34. gina says:

I think we haven’t seen everything Dexter can do yet. He is building support every week.

35. dan says:

I’m just glad Jena is still here, being a wildcard. She’s the only contestant I find interesting.

• Tina says:

I so agree with you on this. I also like Alex, but there is not much excitement to his performances. It’s funny that his mentor is Jason Mraz considering I really like his music, but when I went to his concert, I spent the whole time catching up with my sister whom I hadn’t seen in a while. It was good background music, but we may as well have been in a coffee shop. This is how I feel about Alex. Love the music, but find myself chatting through it.

36. Tom says:

Please you Jess lovers remember back to Hollywood week and what an utter c**t she was when they were formin groups. She also is so cold with the other kids and never shows any affection or happiness when s

• Tina says:

Hey – watch your language! No woman deserves to be called that word (even the asterisk form).

• Carol says:

Anyone who refers to women the way you do should be banned. Jess has never said anything so horrible as you have.

• Kaba says:

It sounds like she just doesn’t know how to paint herself in a proper light in front of a camera and may just be heavily introverted….
      Didja know that singers can be introverted? Didja know that introverts tend to despise working in groups, especially impromptu groups?
      You just sound like a douchebag.

• marie says:

Kaba, you are right on the money with that! Jessica does seem introverted, which is a perfectly normal and common human trait, I hasten to add. She certainly doesn’t deserve to be called that horrible name for it.

• AlyB says:

Jessica is just fine. You on the other hand are completely out of bounds. I hope they ban you for that comment.

• Adam Fachry says:

I think you confused Jess with the teenager’s mom. She didn’t do anything wrong, and was actually trying her best effort to survive that round. From having to sing a song not in her wheelhouse, finding people with whom she could form a group, to putting up with the aforementioned mom’s complete and utter BS. I felt bad for her during those hard times.

Your bias hatred baffles me because I’ve seen contestants acted a lot shadier during group rounds, i.e. Spencer Lloyd whose face was meant to be punched for throwing his teammates under the bus,

• Meri says:

I don’t think she was that bad, and even if she was, who cares? I’m judging her on her singing and artistry only. In the former she’s only inferior to Caleb, and in the latter she’s only inferior to Alex. Also, I can actually emphasize with her not being touchy-feely, because i’m not either. I am not comfortable touching people who are not my family or close friends. Her competitors are people she’s only known a few months, not her closest friends.

37. GuitarBlue says:

Does the top 7 have some history in the sudden, surprise elimination drama?

• Jerry says:

Not particularly I would say. Season 1 – Justin Guarini was in the bottom 2 but wasn’t eliminated, Season 3 – 3 Divas, Season 5 – Chris Daughtry found himself in the bottom 2 (but not eliminated), Season 6 – Blake and Lakisha found themselves in the bottom 3 for the first time, Season 8 – Matt Giraud got saved (but the only shocker is Lill wasn’t eliminated), Season 11 – Jessica Sanchez, then Colton Dixon, Season 12 – Burnell Taylor (only shocker being Lazaro in the top 3!), Season 13 – Not a shocker either.

So I would say besides Season 3 and Season 11, the others are not such huge shockers, even when the person who went home is not the worst performer.

38. Colin says:

Seeing Malaya go home broke my heart. I thought she’d had an upswing over the last few weeks. This week was not so good at all, but I wish she’d had another chance.

I’m going to have to start keeping a J.Cam tally. I counted at least three during Malaya’s exit song, one of which closed in on her and Harry before the cameraman remembered where he was and swiped past Harry for a tear-stained Jennifer moment.

• deedee says:

The J.Cam moments are totally overdone this year. Do we really need 45 seconds of “pensive JLo”, or “moved JLo”, or “feeling-it JLo” during every dang song? It’s either written in her contract, or the cameraman has the hots for her. I dunno, but it’s really annoying!

• AlyB says:

A JCam tally would be brilliant. I’d love to see it in Michael’s recaps. Maybe even a quick montage on reality check. Hey you never know. If we ridicule them enough, and they richly deserve the ridicule, AI producers might finally reel it in at least a little. We could start a twitter drinking game. Drink every time they do a cut away to her but we’d probably all be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning be the end of the show.

39. Davey says:

I don’t like Jessica either. I won’t be sad when she and C.J. are eliminated.

40. waffles says:

It’s about time. She didn’t deserve to be there in the first place. The right people were in the bottom two. Hopefully CJ will be next to go.

41. darcy's evil twin says:

What the heck???? I am beginning to think CJ is going to win this whole shootin’ match! I would have sent him home before Malaya. Poor Malaya. NOW we suddenly have the tearful sing-off?
    I really, really wish they had sent her home and given her time to grow a little. Same goes for Sam.

• deedee says:

Well, it’s the first sing-off without a possible save attached, so the tears are allowed to flow for once. I’m bummed about Malaya. In a season that has no stars for me, she was my highlight. So much adorableness in that girl. :'(

• darcy's evil twin says:

She was VERY adorable but she also had too many sub-par performances. When I wrote I wish they had sent her and Sam home what I meant was that I wish Malaya and Sam had not made it to the live performances so they could have come back. I think both of them have a ton of potential.

• deedee says:

I understood what you meant. Still, I’m glad she was on this year because she brightened up this dreary season for me. It’s all about me, darcy. :)

• marie says:

DET, I do agree that both of them have the potential to be so much better in a few years. Trouble is, with Idol an endangered species, I can understand wanting to audition NOW rather than taking a chance that when you’re a more developed talent in a few years, the show will no longer be on the air.

• deedee says:

Yes. Not to spread the doom and gloom, but he show really is already flailing. Last year’s winner barely got promoted, and the runner-up didn’t even get a record deal. Not sure this season’s crop will yield much better results. As David Cook said – as long as contestants coming out of Idol find mainstream success, the show will continue to be relevant. With the ratings slide, I’m not sure Idol can afford a 2 year lull in post-show winner success.

42. Carol says:

KARMA.

43. darcy the slutty twin says:

Jessica Meuse better win this! My booty is going to explode out of my mom jeans if Jeeena fake accents/fake tones her way to the finale. Sam is too drab to elicit anything out of me, Caleb is a massive douchebag, and don’t get me started on frakkin CJ Harris!!! Without the horrible way he wears his pants and that face, Alex is tolerable. I’ll continue rooting for Dexter especially if he performs in a tank top with matching too-tight, too-low jeans next week.

• darcy's evil twin says:

LOL sister! Girl, get OUT of the mom jeans already! I also like Jessica. But I like Caleb as well. The next few weeks should prove interesting.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Sister, mom jeans are flattering! They hug my booty like nobody’s business. Sometimes I spend HOURS in front of the mirror admiring how hot I look in my mom jeans.

• marie says:

Caleb a “douchebag”? I don’t see that, and I’m genuinely curious why you think so. For the regrettable “old ladies” dig, maybe? I’m 62, and I just kind of shrugged that off as he’s young and young people say stuff like that sometimes. Or are you seeing douchebaggery in something else? (I wasn’t calling you “old,” by the way.)

• darcy the slutty twin says:

LOL marie. Caleb has always rubbed me the wrong way. He has a douche vibe about him. You know, like he thinks he’s funny and the life of the party. Dexter, meanwhile, has been rubbing me the right way these past few weeks.

• Elizabeth says:

I don’t see it that way. I see this as being the season of misfit toys. None of these kids has social intelligence (except maybe Dexter, Jena, and CJ), and this shows in their performances. Jessica, Alex, and Sam are all really socially awkward, and Caleb is a geek trying to be a rocker. I actually love their voices (except CJ’s), but their performances leave a lot to be desired.

• marie says:

Ok, guess we just see him differently, that’s all. And I like Dexter too, we agree about that.

• MamaLis says:

You always make me laugh, my favorite little twin! I actually dig Alex, though I don’t think I’d want to see him in a tank top! LoL Hey, maybe you can get Dexter to fix your pipes after the season finishes! ;-)

Also, have you seen the Saturday Night Live “commercial” for “Mom Jeans?” Hysterical!!!

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Dexter can fix my pipes, my motor and so much more! While I wait for him, I’ll spend my time frolicking with Phillip Phillips, Michael Johns, Matt Giraud, Heejun Han and David Cook – all of them wearing tank tops and tight, low-cut jeans while I sizzle and look fetching in my 30 year old mom jeans!

44. Nedsdag says:

I truly have no rooting interest with Malaya gone. The way this crappy show is going, it wouldn’t surprise me if Dexter wins AI. He knows who he is as an artist and he’s from a Red State that votes. I truly do not see either Alex or Jena winning because of where they’re from and how polarizing they are.

45. Jill Moya says:

Poor Malaya. She was better than Cj. She had personality galore. I now am rooting for Caleb who has been consistent throughout.

46. Collin says:

Why a bottom 2? They didn’t want us to know that Sam was once again in the bottom 3, highlighting the fact that the save was wasted?

47. M says:

Can we quit saying “if only she’d waited”
    Let’s be realistic, idol’s ratings have dropped more and more every week. I believe they continue to his new series lows. Chances are if she’d waited she would’ve waited past this show’s expiration date.
    Hell, like someone else said: Let the teeny boppers flood the show. Chances are high this shindig is coming to a close by 2016.

48. Winston says:

I stop watching this season now, Malaya, Majesty and Ben are gone while CJ Dexter and Sam are still in. Alex shots the life out of every song. Caleb strangles every song to death. The two j’s are the only 2 worth rooting for Jena and Jessica. The rest can go and eat each other start with eating CJ

49. Renee says:

I was watching Lindsay and JambaJim (guest appearance!) and they raised an issue I hadn’t really thought about – Sam’s undiscussed backstory, parents and the sadness of his original song. He looks so uncomfortable and btw the judges and the internet (ppl like me) talking about his lack of connection – now I’m worried his lack of affect is the result of trauma or something and this experience will somehow harm him. They have psychologists or something on staff, don’t they? These shows clearly don’t have the interests of the contestants at heart. Although he didn’t spell it out, Jim seemed pretty horrified by his X Factor experience.

• LeahKittyS says:

Good point, Renee. You’d think it’d be a good thing that this season is steering away from back stories, but it makes it harder for us to understand what’s going on in the contestant’s heads.

• Renee says:

Actually, I wasn’t suggesting we should know more about his private life. I’m glad they haven’t exploited his back story. I was just hoping it’s not totally Hunger Games behind the scenes in terms of the producers and that he’s getting any support he needs if he is vulnerable.

• davey says:

I think there is too much emphasis on the word “connection” for Sam. I have no problem connecting with him. It becomes such a negative thing saying it over and over.

50. Eilonwy has an emu says:

Season 17? Really? I think it’s done after this one.