American Idol Top 7 Week Theme Is...

american-idol-top-7-theme-competitors-picksThe goal of every member of American Idol‘s Season 13 Top 7 is, undoubtedly, to produce a gold record (or better). But first, they’re going to have to deal with the Golden Rule.

RELATED | American Idol: 22 Fresh Theme Nights That Need to Happen Right Now

Yes indeed, next Wednesday’s Idol performance telecast (8/7c on Fox) will essentially fall under the heading of “Do unto others what you would want them to do unto you.”

RELATED | American Idol Top 8 (Redux) Results Recap: Freeeeeeeeee! Free Fallin’!

Putting it more specifically, the Top 7 — C.J. Harris, Jena Irene, Caleb Johnson, Jessica Meuse, Alex Preston, Dexter Roberts and Sam Woolf — must grapple with a “Competitors’ Pick” theme. Each finalist will select a song for his or her fellow combatants — leaving ‘em all with lists of six songs from which to choose.

What do you think of this theme? If you were a contestant, would you suggest songs from an altruistic place or use your power for sabotage? Can you believe it’ll only be five weeks till the next Idol is crowned? Sound off in the comments!

1. Max says:

This could be hilarious. Not sure if any of them is evil enough, though…
    7 days later…
    Jena Irene: Macho Man (Selected By Jessica Meuse): F-

• Mike says:

You just made my day, Max. I’m freaking rolling on the f**king floor now. Hahahahaha.

Think about Dexter singing Run The World (Girls) chosen by Jessica too hahaha

• Winston says:

Not for Jessica cause I love her but I see her playing the evil card, would love to see that happen. Especially to Dexter.

• Jaszy says:

Haha….You guys are awful! I don’t think Jessica has any evil bone in her body. I don’t feel any of these contestants would wish bad on their fellow competitors.
          Since Jessica is my favorite, I hope she gets good choices, ones that can challenge her and push her to go above any beyond what she’s been doing so far. She needs to show more range which I know is in her. She also needs to display more confidence on stage. I simply feel that she feels she’ll look like an idiot if she moves, so she doesn’t. But she’s just used to standing there with her guitar and not having to rely on movement to sell her performances. But, she did come on American Idol so she has an obligation to fulfill. She needs to deliver more performance-wise. She already has the vocal talent down. I love her voice. She just needs to step it up and show that she truly is passionate for performing and not just passionate for singing music. I only want what’s best for her. The others need to challenge her. I really don’t want her to be eliminated. I want her to win!

• trf says:

It has been mentioned before and I totally agree with it. Jessica hasn’t grown beyond her smokey bar performance mentality. The singer songwriter doesn’t see herself as a performer / dancer / stage commander. Why change style when this is who she is as an artist??

• Akash says:

If Idol were more strategic like Survivor, this COULD be awesome. Unfortunately none of these kids has ANY personality, much less a mischievous one.

• Stormy says:

Not so sure about that. I have a feeling that Caleb can be a bit of a prankster and maybe even a bully.

• M G says:

Prankster, yes.  Bully, no.  Still, I don’t think anyone wants to be a d*ck.  And with five other friendly suggestions, it doesn’t make sense to be the only jerk.  That could affect voting, especially with the moms who comprise the viewing audience.

• S. says:

I’ve known about Caleb through a mutual connection since before he auditioned for Idol. He’s in no way a bully. That’s you reading into it what you want to and rather mean. If you don’t know something for a fact, stop with the speculation on someone’s character. Bullying isn’t something to make light of so don’t throw the term around based on whatever your poorly tuned bully-dar is telling you. He’s an outgoing person, definitely loud and boisterous, but has a good heart and is not a bully.

• sheba says:

Perhaps whoever has the most of their song suggestions covered could win an immunity idol for the week?

• PDW says:

CJ – I Luh Ya Papi
      Sam – Eye of the Tiger
      Caleb – Dust in the Wind
      Jena – Village People
      Jessica – Power of Love
      Alex – Hound Dog
      Dexter – One Night in Bangkok

2. Tommyo2000 says:

Not sure if I like this theme, I haven’t seen creativity in song choices, Alex aside.

3. Lunakit says:

Pretty easy to predict that they will all do well by each other…. Not a single one of the bunch has a mean streak or a “Survivor’ instinct to outwit…. they are too well fed and there is no immunity idol at stake. :-)

4. Jessica says:

Fun theme! I vote for sabotage ;) Give Caleb a country song lol

5. Jen says:

That actually sounds like a really good theme? It will either go horribly wrong or not so bad. Hopefully none of the contestants hate each other!

6. Taylor says:

I really hope they show us the songs each of them pick for the others. Who’ll pick risky options, who will play to strengths, who will pick boring flat songs, and who’s going to give Caleb Against All Odds to make Michael scream?

7. karen says:

THIS is the problem with this season of Idol. The contestants have not a clue as to what songs to pick for themselves. They end up choosing stale renditions of songs they’ve performed in clubs and bars a hundred times. Ho hum. They need to be challenged with tighter themes. This is what separates the wheat from the chaff. Prediction: Jessica will choose another dated cover song from her set list, Dexter some lightweight bro-country tune, Caleb dredges up another classic rock tribute-band cover with no originality, Jena deconstructs another song into something unrecognizable, while Alex jazzes up a coffee-house number he’s done a million times. Snooze, snore. These contestants really don’t know what kind of artists they want to become, especially Jessica, whose song choices continue to baffle and disappoint.

• karen says:

Oops, I didn’t read the theme closely enough before posting my predictions. Sadly, though, I think the contestants will be complicent in selecting each other’s preferred song choices anyways. I don’t see it happening any other way.

• Mark says:

You’re absolutely right. They will lob softballs to each other, and the result will be the selections you described.

8. Timmah says:

I think they should draw names and have only one person pick their song. Getting to pick from six is too easy.

• karyn says:

My thoughts exactly.

Past themes were a mess and needed a re-work, but these broad themes are not the solution. Surely the high paid staff at Idol can come up with something narrower than “any song with ‘the’ in the title” but broader than “jazz standards” or “songs from a decade before you were born.”

9. karen says:

Oops, I guess I didn’t read the theme that closely. I retract my predictions.

• Lynn says:

You shouldn’t retract your predictions, they’re right on the money. They are all one-trick ponies. Even Jena’s “originality” is getting a bit old. They each got handed a role and they’re each milking it for all it’s worth. Completely predictable with no surprises.

10. Haha says:

I love it. Expect in jokes and team ups to abound. (You know some of them will band together on what they will pick for people.) I hope we get to see the full set of lists at some point next week.

11. danin says:

Hahaha….this ought to be good or boring.I’d like to see the lists they choose from.Too bad they don’t let us make the chouces too.

12. Ed says:

Sam: Da Ya Think I’m Sexy (Rod Stewart)

Dexter: Night Fever (Bee Gees)

Alex: I Write The Songs (Barry Manilow)

Jessica: Mickey (Toni Basil)

Jena: Love To Love You Baby (Donna Summer)

Caleb: Rhinestone Cowboy (Glen Campbell)

CJ: Another One Bites The Dust – Queen

13. What the Deb? says:

Here’s my sabotage list!
    Jena: Barbie Girl
    Caleb: Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
    Alex: Friday
    Jessica: Party All The Time
    CJ: Wind Beneath My Wings
    Sam: Lady Marmalade
    Dexter: We Didn’t Start the Fire (He better work on that mumbling issue!)

14. dan says:

I just imagine them telling each other what song they want to do, then like they picked it themselves.

15. nathalie says:

interesting theme most likely alex and sam will pick for eachother jena and caleb will pick for eachother and the other three can fight it out

• Patrick says:

No – each competitor picks one song for each of the other competitors, resulting in a six-song list for each person to choose from.

16. osborn1116 says:

What I want to know is if they’ll release what songs people picked for them, and also who’s pick they took. I would love to know if a majority of the songs were picked by 1 person.

17. Dakota says:

I don’t see most of them being very knowledgable about music… Kinda like JLo. Caleb and Jessica maybe, but not sure about the rest. Not in same informed league as Adam, Cook, even Giraud.

• kate'shomesick says:

Alex and Sam don’t seem knowledgable….? I think they know quite a few things….since Sams gonna study at Berklee and Alex plays a lot of instruments, writes and arranges you would think they’d know a thing or two about music (also other peoples’s music)….

18. Jerry says:

If I were a competitor I would definitely choose Against All Odds for one of my fellow contestants.

• Cenh says:

This is cool. But contestants should be very careful of giving songs to each other. Seems there was friendship already among them. We’ll gonna see who would act as Judas In AI. They should give songs that are challenging enough but not too obvious to show the public that they selected songs that their co-finalist can obviously not do it or else they will be hated by the fans of that finalist and that would be a way of voting off himself or herself on the next elimintion ^____^. It’s just like digging your own hole on it!

19. Gailer says:

Lmao—-
    As a way to disguise a limited list of 20 songs pre-selected and -cleared by producers!

20. Stormy says:

Give CJ ‘MMM Bop’ by Hanson, Dexter ‘Music of the Night’ from Phantom of the Opera, and Jena ‘Coal Miner’s Daughter’. I love a good train wreck.

21. M says:

Someone pegs Dexter with “And I am Telling You”.
    I’d cry lmao

22. Adam Fachry says:

Sam – The Wheels on the Bus (chosen by Jena) — Apt for a toddler
    Dexter – Rupaul’s Supermodel (You Better Work) (chosen by Jess) — Sashay, shantay, Dexter!
    CJ – The Prayer (chosen by Caleb) — those HIGH notes!
    Caleb – Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro (chosen by CJ) — yes, sing the melody~
    Jena – Kelis’ Milkshake (chosen by Sam) — A special gift for you and your sanctimoniously hypocritical self, Harry!
    Jess – Icona Pop’s Girlfriend (chosen by Alex) — Taking Harry’s advice to “sing that shuffle, girlfriend” literally
    Alex – The Vogues’ Turn Around and Look at Me (chosen by Dexter) — because there’s something very romantic and sweet about the lines “There is someone walking behind you / Turn around, look at me / There is someone watching your footsteps / Turn around, look at me.”

Let the trainwreckbegin!

• Stormy says:

I don’t think you were mean enough. Imagine Caleb doing Eddie Arnold’s “Cattle Call’ [can he yodel?]. or Sam trying to get into the beat of Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry, Be happy”. The Wheels On The Bus might be just right for Sam’s comfort zone. LOL

• Adam Fachry says:

And he will perform with the bus’ turn signals surrounding him. Now that I think about it, why not make this week a.,,,NURSERY RHYME week?

Jess’ Itsy Bitsy Spider
        Alex’s Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater
        Jena’s Three Little Kittens
        CJ’s Row, Row, Row Your Boat
        Dexter’s Ba Ba Black Sheep
        Caleb’s Down by the Bay

I mean, Idol always has an issue with runtime, never allows its contestants to do songs that require buildup. So why not sing songs that will end in a matter of like 10-15 seconds anyway?

• Stormy says:

Sounds fun. LOL Or give CJ the alphabet song and Caleb Twinkle Twinkle Little star. That way the band only needs to learn one song.

• MamaLis says:

Funny Adam!! I love it!!!!!!!!

• kp says:

Hilarious! Thank you for the wonderful laugh. Wheels on the Bus……oh me…….

23. Angie_Overrated says:

Who Let the Dogs Out for Sam while surrounded by light bulbs, table lamps, floor lamps, and awkward tweens with side ponytails
    A Muzak version of Like a Virgin for Alex
    Minnie Ripperton’s Loving You in the original key with no modifications allowed for Jess
    Beyonce’s Girls We Rule the World for CJ; it’s already non tonal, so we won’t be able to hear him unable to hit correct notes.

I would have so much fun with this if I were them. And I would expect nothing less in return.

24. SaraNotSarah says:

lol you inspired me

Jena: Groove is In The Heart
    Caleb: SexyBack
    Alex: Love Cats
    Jessica: I Don’t Like Mondays (dedicated to Harry)
    CJ: Dream On (Danny Gokey door prize)
    Sam: Teenagers (he deserves the chance to channel this)
    Dexter: American Idiot (duh)

25. Evan says:

Four words: Jena Asciutto. Regina Spektor.

I’ve also been wanting Alex to sing something by the Australian singer-songwriter Lior for the entirety of the season so I’d probably use the power for good purposes on him and Jena (and maybe Caleb, who’s somewhat interesting) and then sabotage the rest of the no-goods.

• Michelle says:

I’ve been saying for the last few weeks that Alex would be great doing any LIOR song. I would love to hear him sing This Old Love,

I hope they go all out to try & sabotage each other, but I doubt they will.

• Jaszy says:

Ahhh! I LOVE REGINA SPEKTOR. YES! Jena would KILL with one of her songs. My personal favorites of Regina’s are Genius Next Door, Human of the Year, Open. I think Jena could slay any of these. But, I love all of Regina’s songs. I have all of her albums.

26. Eilonwy has an emu says:

Eh. The song selections are probably drawn from the list that was found in the Voice’s battle rounds. So, predictable but awful song choices. Hopefully each contestant gets a say for another so that there is a majority rule, rather than having one pick directly for another.

27. Kelly says:

The reason I don’t think sabotage will be a factor is that these contestants have pretty much each proven they can make or break any song selection…something that looks bad on paper can work very well for them and something that we anticipate being great can be “meh”. Also, it puts them more or less on an even playing field with not having total control of their song selection, something we usually don’t see until the finale, so it’ll be pretty cool to see what happens.

28. Akash says:

As proof that this season is the worst, Tim Urban had three OK performances…which is three more than Sam ever had.

• Name says:

All the rest of Urban’s performances were awful. I still have nightmares about “Under My Thumb.”
      This season isn’t awful. The only reason it seems awful is because there are so many other shows on. Season 9 in terms of perfomers was 100 times worse.

29. Jenny T says:

I’d just go trough Michael’s “What should they sing” posts and choose songs from those lol :)

30. jay bee says:

I think this is a great theme, but I bet they get 7 options because my guess is that the lists were made before Malaya departed. I think this group seems to be fairly tight (at least on camera) so I don’t think there will be much in the way of poisoning the list. Now as to my list…

Alex – Don’t Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin. Alex plays a ton of instruments. Lets see him (and the backup singers) become their own instruments.

Caleb – Life is a Rock by Reunion. Caleb is retro rock, I want to see him mention as many of those old rock acts as he can in the time they give him.

CJ – Opus 17 (Don’t Worry Bout Me) – The song by the Four Seasons holds the record for most chromatic key changes (5) so maybe he can find a key he would be in tune with.

Dexter – Hocus Pocus by Focus – The song has no actual lyrics just a bunch of tones sung so we don’t have to worry about whether he mumbles at all. I do worry about him hitting the falsetto thou.
    Jena –

Jessica – Close to You by the Carpenters. Karen Carpenter was known for her tone and not so much her presence on camera so this should be prefect for Jessica.

Sam – Garden Party. Ricky Nelson….need I say more.

31. jay bee says:

Just realized I left out Jena….I was originally thinking something by Carole King because she reminds me so much of her career ark. Piano playing song writer at age 17. Maybe Smackwater Jack just to be obscure.

32. Doug says:

I want to see Dexter sing “It’s Raining Men.” Now the fun starts.

33. Doug says:

BTW Harry’s antics Wednesday- totally contrived. The ratings for the Thursday results show have been horrible. “We gotta watch tonight (Th) to see what Harry does.” A bit cynical, ah yah, what do you expect after witnessing this train wreck? One other thing- does JLo have it written in her contract that the camera must be on her for so many minutes per show?

• karyn says:

If you were paying someone $10k a minute to be on your show, wouldn’t you put her on as much as possible?

• Timmah says:

I kind of wonder if this show wouldn’t be better off with less-famous judges. That way the focus would be more on the contestants. And they could save some bucks as well.

34. karyn says:

I hope they read off the list of what was proposed for each singer before they perform the song they ultimately chose. It will be interesting to see if the “we’re all good friends” thing is a ruse for the camera. I also wonder if the singers will know who proposed what song. If so, they all have to be nice. But if not, we could see some fur fly.

35. Tommyo2000 says:

And I wonder if somebody really smart, like Caleb goes to Jess and says you give me this song and I will give you what you want to sing…

36. Tommyo2000 says:

Alex – Loney day (System of a down
    Jess – I get off on you – Halestorm
    Caleb – Hurt 9 inch nails
    Jena – Love Reign or’ Me Who
    Sam –
    CJ – God cut you down – John Cash
    Dexter – With a little help from my friends – Joe Cocker

37. darcy's evil twin says:

This could be interesting. Remember when Candice sang Paula Abdul’s “Straight Up” and said Janelle suggested the song to her? Or when Michael Lynche sang “In the Ghetto” (one of his better performances, IMO) and said Siobahn suggested the song to him? It won’t be the first time this has happened.

38. darcy's evil twin says:

Oh…a sabotage list. Okay then. Ladies and Gentlemen, make a path – the Saboteur In Charge is IN THE HOUSE!
    Jena – “Run Joey Run” by… David Geddes? Can’t believe I remembered that. Where the heck did I leave my cell phone, anyway?
    Dexter – Garth Brooks’ “Ain’t Goin Down ‘Till the Sun Comes Up” (I predict more “Nuts of Wonder” and “la la las” coming your way!)
    CJ – George Jones’ “The Grand Tour” (If you haven’t heard it, find it on YouTube. Awesome! CJ couldn’t hit that melody and those notes with a sledge hammer)
    Caleb – So many choices, so little time. Bobby Goldsboro’s “Honey” or Tommy Roe’s “Dizzy” or “Daddy Don’t You Walk So Fast” by Wayne Newton
    Jess – Anything by Jennifer Lopez – no explanation necessary.
    Sam – Sir Mix-a-Lot’s “Baby Got Back” (I think Sam would die, and I cannot lie!)
    Alex – Hanson’s “Mmmmmm Bop” (Actually he might make that song tolerable)

Group Numbers – The Black Eyed Peas’ “My Humps”, The Village People’s “YMCA”, and Richard Harris’ “MacArthur Park”.

• Stormy says:

We’re sort of thinking alike except I posted MMM Bop for CJ. He’d never get that lyric. And on idol net gave Alex YMCA. Yeah, he’d get the crowd on their feet. LOL I imagined Sam trying to bounce through Don”t Worry Be Happy.
      Actually i think they’ll form pacts and submit a song for one of the others that the person wants, in exchange for that person submitting a song they want. There are more things Horatio etc.

• darcy's evil twin says:

OH, sorry, it’s MMM Bop. I can’t believe I spelled that incorrectly! My musical street cred is toast, LOL. Seriously, thanks for that, Stormy. I honestly couldn’t remember the spelling.

• BrazenSongBird says:

Ok, DET. Now you made me laugh! :)

• BrazenSongBird says:

Ok, DET. Now you Made Me Laugh! :) My Humps! Ha!

• darcy's evil twin says:

It would be awesome if all the guys gathered around Jennifer and belted out “WATCHA GONNA DO WITH THAT JUNK IN THE TRUNK?” on “My Humps”.
        Now THAT’S an “Idol Moment”.

39. Mark says:

Do we really want to watch two hours of train wreckage? I’m expecting no surprises. They will all get something that aligns perfectly with what they like to do best. All choices will be the most obvious.
    Jessica – Hush, Hush (Pistol Annies)
    Caleb – Slow Ride (Foghat)
    Dexter – Whatever She’s Got (David Nail)
    Alex – Sweater Weather (The Neighborhood)
    Jena – Despair (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
    CJ – Harvest Moon (Neil Young
    Sam – Diane Young (Vampire Weekend)

• Stormy says:

Now to be serious, since it’s an open songbook within reason:
      Dexter – “Get Together”/Youngbloods
      CJ – “What A Wonderful World’/Louis Armstrong
      Jena – “Mean”/ Taylor Swift
      Caleb – “Still The Same”/Bob Seger
      Sam – “59th. St. Bridge [Feeling Groovy] / Simon & Garfunkel
      Jess – “Just Like Jesse James” / Cher
      Alex – “Key Largo” / Bertie Higgins

• Mark says:

i can see Jena doing “Mean” but I don’t think Caleb will go slow two weeks in a row. I could see him doing “Back In The Saddle” or “Radar Love”, maybe. If he does do Seger, I would prefer “Katmandu” or “Ramblin Gamblin Man”

• Stormy says:

You may be right about Caleb going slow again. Speaking of which, I wouldn’t mind Caleb doing Billy Joel’s “You May Be Right”. Also I think Alex could do a good job on Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know”. And Sam might score with Jet’s “Look What You Have Done”.

• Mark says:

Alex doing “Somewhere Only We Know” would be awesome. Its about time someone added a guitar to the arrangement.

• Adam Fachry says:

You have a pretty excellent taste, Mark. I’d suggested Diane Young for Sam for Movies night (the song was featured in the remake of Carrie).

A more serious list of suggestions:

Caleb – David Bowie’s “Moonage Daydream”
      Jena – The Smiths’ “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (pleaaase sing this!)
      Alex – The Tallest Man on Earth’s “A Lion’s Heart”
      Jess – Neko Case’s “This Tornado Loves You”
      Dexter – Neil Young’s “Only Love Can Break Your Heart”
      CJ – The Decemberists’ “June Hymn”

• Mark says:

Some nice suggestions. I’m especially intrigued by the choice for Dexter. I don’t know if he could pull it off–but if he did, wow. That would be a game changer. It could make him the frontrunner.

• Adam Fachry says:

It won’t be as game-changing as him singing RuPaul’s Supermodel though lol. But yeah, it would offer a nice balance to his anthem-laden body-of-work. Kind of like, the living-out-loud bro who finally contemplates.

I personally would love to see both my Jena and Jess’ choices happen. Jess, in particular, I think the song suits a voice like Kree’s better. But Jess’ pensive approach somehow makes me think the song is also tailor-made for her.

I’d also like to change my song suggestion to CJ. Regrdless of the high possibility of him singing out-of-tune, I think the cry in his voice would do Wilco’s “Jesus, Etc.” justice.

40. CM says:

If we’re talking sabotage then someone needs to suggest “I Luh Ya Papi”

41. GuitarBlue says:

Jessica could make some waves by singing ‘Let Me Touch You for a While’ by
    Alison Krauss or “Need You Now” by Lady Antebellum.

42. Ceng says:

Jst 1der for some, if not satisfied of the show, why still watch? Seems some are having much negativity. Ooops! Chillax peepz:) but been smiling those suggested songs lol

43. chester says:

Want them to do something different
    Jena – skinny love (birdie)
    Sam – you were the last high (dandy warhols)
    Alex – the general (dispatch)
    Caleb – something from the strokes
    Jess – up to the mountain

44. DoubleT says:

I’m pretty sure the producers have already chosen a set list for all the contestents, but it still could fun.

45. Timmah says:

This sounds like another ho-hum theme to me. I’ve got an idea, how about one week they do “songs that don’t suck”?

46. Leticia Prado says:

I am pretty sure we will end up with almost everybody doing their original songs. Jessica will end up doing “Done”, Jena will sing “Unbreakeable me”, and so on.

47. Nita says:

This show is suppose to be about the competitors. I am so tired of the camera focusing on Jennifer Lopez. These kids are trying to sing and I have counted at least 3 times that the camera will turn to her during their song. She gets paid enough money, so sit there and wait your turn to critique, that is your job. Harry and Keith are much more interesting to listen to and to look at. I would rather have Paula Abdul back and Steven Tyler !!!!!!!!!

• Adam Fachry says:

Steven Tyler is no better imo. While he might not be as narcissistic, self-important, and Maleficent-level cruel as JLo, his comments only revolved around cliches, unconstructive criticism, and grammatical error. Though the last one did offer some comic relief. “You sing beautiful,” “you sing sexy.” Lol

48. guest says:

Dear Michael and Melinda,
    A late comment but … just saw reality check….fabulous. Thank you.

49. The Other Leah says:

I think I have the PERFECT set list for the Idols.

Jena: Joey by Concrete Blonde

Caleb: Burden in my Hand or Spoonman by Soundgarden

Sam: Don’t Look Back in Anger -Oasis

CJ: Crazy Love by Van Morrison

Dexter: Brand New Man by Brooks and Dunn

Alex: Big Me by Foo Fighters

Jessica: …….(this is hard! I keep thinking Stevie Nicks Edge of 17, but TOO OBVIOUS!)

What do you think?

• Stormy says:

it’s difficult with Jessica. I keep wanting to give her borderline country songs, like “Gentle On My Mind”
      Right now, I’m going way out of the box for some of them.
      CJ – “Everybody Knows”/Leonard Cohen
      Alex – “Somewhere Only We Know”/Keane
      Sam – “Look What You’ve Done”/Jet
      Dexter – “The Pilgrim”/Kris Kristofferson
      Jena – “Different Drum”/Stone Pony w Linda Ronstadt
      Caleb – “Everything I Do”/Bryan Adams
      Jessica – “I’ve Never been To Me”/Charlene

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh my, Stormy, that “I’ve Never Been to Me” song was awful. Are you trying to get Jessica kicked off the program?

• Stormy says:

Actually I love INBTM. There’s such a melancholy, wasted life vibe to it, kind of like Roy Clark’s “Yesterday When I Was Young”. Introspective mood to match the weather, I guess.

• Stormy says:

I just looked up the stats on INBTM and it went to #3 and gold in the US and #1 in Canada, Australia and the UK. And most millennials probably never heard it. I think she could have a moment with it. She’s my fave, so no I wouldn’t want her kicked off of the show.

• Leticia Prado says:

Leah, do you think Idol would allow Spoonman? I love the song (I actually told a friend this week that you can download the whole Chris Cornell career, hit shuffle and whatever you get is vocally a perfect song for Idol). I just think it has such a big reference to drugs they would at least frown on it.

• Mark says:

No chance of ever seeing that one on Idol.

• The Other Leah says:

Yikes! I was just thinking of the sound of his voice and the sound of Chris Cornell’s voice, and the notes they can hit. I wasn’t even thinking of the connotation of the song. Eeek. Okay, you have a point.
          I would love to hear him sing a Soundgarden or Audioslave song though, regardless.

• Mark says:

Rusty Cage, Fell On Black Days, Burden In My Hand–all of these could be great. I don’t think we’ll see them. Caleb likes his songs from a more historic vintage.

• The Other Leah says:

but he wants to be modern too… Not that Soundgarden is “modern.” But plenty of throwback artists on Idol have gone on to make albums that were nothing like the music they covered on Idol.

50. Mark says:

For duets I want to see Caleb and Jena do Gimme Shelter and Dexter and Jessica do Need You Now.

• Stormy says:

Ironic to see someone suggest a Lady Antebellum song when Hillary Scott was turned down for idol more than once.