Ratings: NCIS Rises, S.H.I.E.L.D., Trophy Wife and NBC's Boy Slip, Mindy Holds Steady

Agents of SHIELD RatingsABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this Tuesday earned an average grade of a high “A” from TVLine readers, yet failed to capitalize on Captain America‘s boffo box office.

RELATED | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Coulson and the Team Winter Soldier On….

Based on fast nationals, the Marvel-ous bubble drama drew 5.4 million total viewers and a 1.9 demo rating (per finals), down 5 percent and one tenth week-to-week. (As ABC was quick to note, S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s numbers have adjusted up in finals 13 times this season, and this week in fact went up two tenths.) REMINDER: ABC will encore last night’s S.H.I.E.L.D. next Tuesday at 8/7c, followed by a new episode at 9.

Continuing ABC’s night, The Goldbergs (4.3 mil/1.4) dipped a tenth, while Trophy Wife (2.5 mil/0.8) dropped 16 percent and two tenths.

Elsewhere….

NBC | The Voice (11.8 mil/2.9) fell two tenths week-to-week, About a Boy (7.1 mil/1.7) dipped three tenths, Growing Up Fisher (5.6 mil/1.5) ticked down a tenth and Chicago Fire returned down a tenth (with 7 mil/1.8).

RELATED | The Voice Playoffs (Team Blake) Recap: Three Out of Five Ain’t Bad

CBS | NCIS (17.2 mil/2.6) gained two tenths, while NCIS: LA (14.4 mil/2.3) slipped a tenth.

RELATED | Glee Recap: I Know Things Now

FOX | Glee (2.8 mil/1.0) ticked up a tenth, while The Mindy Project‘s double pump averaged 2.3 mil/1.0, up 20 percent in audience and steady in the demo.

1. John NYC says:

Given the film’s box office that’s a bit of a stunner for Agents.

NCIS was a reliable view but Agents delivered the ride of the night, IMHO.

• Delirious says:

I wonder if the slip comes due to the same reason that’s keeping me from watching this week’s episode, and all episodes for the time being… If the Winter Soldier / Agents crossover is so big and critical, I’m holding off Agents until I’m able to watch the movie. Whenever that’s possible – hopefully it’s not when it comes out on DVD/BR.

• Christie Lee says:

I have not seen the new. Captain America and I promise you……you will be on the edge of your seat. Now I can’t wait to see the movie.

• Eric says:

If you’re at all familiar with Captain America the spoilers is not going to be a problem. I haven’t watched the movie yet and I watched the episode. And the reveals about the Captain America movie wasn’t that surprising. Still psyched to see the movie :)

• Kristina says:

Same here. I don’t want to spoil the movie for myself and I won’t have a chance to see it for at least a few weeks, so I won’t be watching S.H.I.E.L.D. til after whenever that is. I love the idea of a crossover, but I’m thinking they should have waited a little while after the premier to do it.

• Logan says:

I understand the crossover thing is a bit of a drag if you can’t see the Captain America film right away, but, unlike Thor 2, Captain America 2 brings an effect on S.H.I.E.L.D. that is too massive to skip over for a few episodes and then introduce in the series. It would have been way too forced. Or they could have waited for a few weeks to display any episode at all, but they’ve skipped so many weeks recently that that probably wasn’t a preferable option.

• Delirious says:

I finally watched the movie yesterday, and watched the episode when I got back home… And gotta say, the tie-in is massive, and while watching the Winter Soldier before the episode definitely took away some of the element of surprise from the episode, it’s still quite shocking, mainly due to characters who appear in Agents and not in the movies. But I imagine what a HUGE shock the episode can be if you haven’t watched the movie – so big, I strongly recommend that people DON’T watch the Agents of SHIELD from this week on if they haven’t watched Cap America before, because it will ruin it quite a bit.

And I gotta agree with Logan – if they had dragged it for longer, it wouldn’t have had the same effect. With Thor 2, the impact isn’t huge, since it’s more of a localized story, so Lorelei (a new character to the modern movie universe) and Sif appearing didn’t spoil anything. But with Cap 2, the repercussions are so big, having the show move on without the main movie universe development would’ve hugely ruined the experience for fans.

… and that’s the most I can discuss without spoiling anything. Dammit. -_-

2. Daniel says:

NCIS was good last night! The rise is deserved!

• Mike Hammer says:

REALLY? What was good about it? More evil America— this time the CIA. (IF it isn’t some evil businessman it is an evil CIA agent– as NCIS is so devoid of thought and it has become the playground for every lefty TV writer in Hollywoodland who gets to attack every foundation stone of America weekly; a long way from the Bellisario days of patriotism and purpose. Gibbs no longer John Wayne but Wayne the John.) Fish in the barrel writing.
        And speaking of the writing, the accomplice to the evil CIA guy is some teenage girl who sells out America to pay for Med school? Such gravitas.

Poor schooks who continue to sell their acting souls for a big payday, the DiNozzo and the McGee guys continue to play goof ball second team to the sit on the floor know everything with the Grouch MArx eyebrows girl as Harmon all but invisible. ( Does he come in at the end of filming to say his few lines and then head home?)

Other than that, cutting edge.

Seriously, grow a pair— this program had em and cut em off.

• Alyson says:

So I’m guessing you didn’t like this episode and you don’t like NCIS much these days?

• Mike Hammer says:

ACTUALLY, it is not to me a matter of like or dislike. It is all about disappointment and a general sadness at the encroaching mediocrity of what was once a very well crafted television entertainment– which sadly, mirrors the decline in quality, intellect and excellence in our culture and the arts in general.

I came along during the “Golden Age” of the medium, when TV was as innovative as it was original and profoundly well crafted. More often than not brilliant acting and writing. ( Richard Boone, Patrick McGoohan, David Jansen; James Arness; Robert Culp, Bil Cosby; Jackie Gleason, Sid Caesar; Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Red Skelton, Jack Benny, Lucy, Raymond Burr— just to name a few of the personalities and the programs!)
            Additionally, thoughtful and insightful criticism was a welcomed part of society devoid of the personal invective that spews on this and every website aimed at anyone who offers a differing opinion no matter how well grounded. ( See PatM, et al)

I am sorry that some have been so dumbed down in the past decades as to be ignorant of quality and class— as not everything is “awesome”. NCIS has past is shelf date, and no amount of vitriol aimed at anyone who speaks the truth will change that reality— or my OPINION.

• PatM says:

Wow, seriously, what is your damage? Every time the ratings, or anything about NCIS appears, so do you, spewing your disagreeable comments like some spoiled child who didn’t get their nap. If you despise (and clearly you do, by your continued venomous remarks) the show THAT much, why are you torturing yourself by watching it, much less going on an endless rant? Go watch Agents of SHIELD or the Voice, save yourself (and the rest of us), your mind numbing, never ending verbiage about a show you hate. What is totally weird is, for a show you find so horrendous, you watch it faithfully–why do that if you don’t find anything good about it? Why put yourself through the agony and despair? You remind me of a faucet that never stops dripping–annoying as hell.

• Mike Hammer says:

FIRST, who asked you?
            SECOND, is my personal opinion backed by thought so difficult for you to deal with devoid of personal insult and attack?
            THIRD, this is literally the 3rd time I have ever posted on this site— but apparently you have some fixation with my rarely stated views as to stalk me on line. Poor thing. Try dating.

• PatM says:

FIRST, you issued your rant–but, only you can post and no one else can challenge YOUR comments? Fat chance and try again.

SECOND, since this is an opinion board, I am giving my opinion, like it or not. Your vitriol themed
            comments, may be amusing to yourself, but, your answer alone is showing why, if someone DARES to question anything you state–is attacked. Generally, when one is “disappointed” in a show they do offer their opinion and hope it changes or the change the channel and look to watch something else. Nothing you wrote was “thoughtful or insightful” comments, and what makes you an expert on what is good or bad television? You give your opinion–I gave mine.

THIRD, I’m calling B.S., this isn’t your 3rd time ever posting on this site–and I have your other postings to back up my claim. Nice try. Fixated? Wow, conceited much? Try annoyed by your constant whining. I don’t think my husband would be too keen on me dating other men and if anyone is a “poor thing”, that my friend would be you. Try counseling, it might help your anger issues…….

• Et al. says:

Lol. I love when people make fun of the right by pretending they’re a psychotic rightie.

• leia says:

Since this was a story about a government employee trying to right a wrong and a cover up by other government employees, oh how topical that is and true, I fail to see how this isn’t a patriotic episode. NCIS hasn’t lost its spark or patriotism, maybe we need to figure out what patriotism really is. Perhaps it is a shouting match between a congressman and the attourney general who then whines that he is disrespected implying race because someone is demanding accountability. What the h*** is Wayne the John, how disrespectful! IT strikes me that you have envy, of all involved in the show and like to hurl insults. My question to you is do you have the stones to say it to their faces. Likely not.

• Teresa says:

N.C.I.S rules, PERIOD.

• Mary says:

That’s because Bishop was relegated to less onscreen time, and there were more of the “regulars” dynamics. Great episode.

• John NYC says:

Because they did all that wall to wall promotion that the character would be less prominent?

Or that people who sampled the first one spread the word.

Me I’d bet on the second. Ymmv.

3. Gerald says:

If people are like me Agents of Shield is sitting on my PVR until I watch Captain America for fear of one spoiling the other. Fortunately I am seeing Cap tonight. Then I will watch Agents of Shield. Maybe this tie in will actually hurt the initial viewing numbers, but hopefully get new eyeballs in the long run.

• Daisy says:

Exactly. And I’m not seeing it until Saturday.

• Nate says:

I thought I was the only one.

• wrstlgirl says:

Far from it. None of my friends have seen the movie yet but at my house we went ahead and watched the show last night anyway. Not that big of a deal really. I’m sure we’ll still enjoy seeing how all this plays out in the movie. I think the problem with Shield is that it took to long to become watchable for most. Plus any good television viewer knows that promos are often over exaggerated so all the hype fell flat. Just my opinion of course.

• Grey says:

Totally agree with you on it taking too long to become watchable. I pretty bailed after the third episode. I’ve tried a two or three episodes since but it still wasn’t grabbing me. I might watch last night’s episode at some point over the weekend to break the boredom of my chores since everyone says it was really good. I have no plans to see the movie – at least not in the theater (not the fun experience it once was) – so I don’t really care about any spoiler – big or small.

• Jimmy says:

I agree, but I think the events of Winter Soldier hindered the program in some ways. They really couldn’t go all out until Winter Soldier was released.

• Dr. Opossum says:

It might have worked out better to have had this show as a mid-season debut that didn’t have to waste time with dull villains and just went straight into a conflict with a certain evil organization. It doesn’t look good for this show’s future – viewers rarely return to a show that they rejected and it probably took too long for this show to develop.

• Cj says:

So you are saying because they had to wait for winter soldier they had to write a bunch of crap? That makes no sense jimmy. Gotta love all the excuses people are making but it’s too little to late. This show is doomed. Hail hydra

• John NYC says:

Maybe that’s why next week is a doubleheader with a repeat of this week’s followed by a new episode?

• Cub says:

I still haven’t seen Captain America either so I don’t wanna get spoiled.

• Ben says:

That makes a lot of sense

• Jillian says:

That’s exactly why I didn’t watch it. Saw Cap today and came home and watched SHIELD on demand.

• Gerald says:

Okay now I have seen the movie and the episode and WOW. The movie was fantastic and I am glad I saw it before the TV show, but what a game changer. There are so many more layers. Great episode. I do hope people start to check out AoS and it gets picked up. It is a great show with great production, characters and stunts. Can’t wait for the next episode.

4. Titoveli says:

lol @ agents of flops and lol @ people hyping the show to death

5. Lm says:

I kind of wished that I had watched the Captain America movie first, but having said that, that episode of SHEILD was awesome! It has been soooo good. To bad it shed so many viewers from the beginning. I almost gave up on it, but my husband is a big geek and kept on reminding me it was on every Tuesday. I’m glad I stuck with it, even if it doesn’t get renewed.

• Scott says:

I’ve watched AoS but not seen the movie. And won’t be seeing the movie until its out on DVD. I can’t say for sure, but it doesn’t look like the TV show spoils the movie much at all. Yes you know that Cap wins, but realistically you know that anyway. You still don’t know how or have any of the details, and that’s the whole point of seeing the movie. I’ve seen research reported that says spoilers actually improve a viewing experience because you can focus on everything that’s going on instead of just trying to keep up.

6. Dave says:

I can’t belive SHIELD fell again, it was such a great episode with such grets changing-game events…hope people are going to catch up and give this series the great audience it deserves

7. Cam says:

The problem with SHIELD is that it should have started the season with guns blazing, so to speak. What we got was a boring procedural, which is the reason why a lot of viewers (myself included) left. Even with the overhype of this episode and the Cap America tie-in, I still didn’t feel compelled to tune in.

8. Christina says:

God damn. Really hoping ABC renews SHIELD still. It deserves the renewal now that it’s getting good!

9. TvPeong says:

Shield is so good. I was hoping the numbers would pick up. Do we know when ABC is going to announce the roster for the new season?

10. Dav says:

I don’t think fans need to worry about SHIELD. It has been a ratings disappointment for sure but the ratings are not THAT bad compared to the rest of ABC this season. Also, it’s basically an hour long advertisement and placeholder for the Marvel Movies. Disney/ABC won’t get rid of it just yet.

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree. I’m not a huge supporter of the show but have stuck with it since the beginning. I will be shocked if it doesn’t get renewed.

• Jack E. says:

I feel like If they play their cross-promotion cards right this should could be an excellent tool in the MCU. I could see ABC working to throw this on to Netflix or other streaming services as quickly as possible to try and add into their fan base for a second season. Then in the second season, they could start doing promotional crossover events with the characters from the Netflix exclusive series that are coming out in 2015. Doing this would help build more of a mainstream interest in the Marvel Netflix series (not to mention might boost merchandising for the characters involved) as well as inject more named superheroes into this universe. I think it would be a good way to pull everything together and really establish a Television segment of the universe.

11. sarah says:

Chicago Fire continues to be one of the best shows on TV! At least that is my opinion!

12. Teri says:

Growing up Fisher is a really good show. I hope it gets another season.

13. pat carter says:

At last a good NCIS! Team working together and very little Bishop. It showed what good friend Tony is to McGee.

14. S says:

So I guess this is just what the Glee numbers are now. They are just gonna consistently be around 2.7-2.9 million or less. Sad. Glee is so good at messing things up. If they had just done the split and went to NY with the original graduates then it’s highly likely the ratings would be better and several key members would have stuck around regularly, Heather(Brittany), Dianna(Quinn), Amber(Mercedes) etc. The show made a costly error and obviously won’t recover.

• Trevor says:

Only glee would think splitting up ALL the main couples and sidelining most of the characters the audience is familiar with for cheap imitations was a good idea and yet a smaller core group of fans stuck with them last season. This season? Not so much. Sure, it’s easy to blame it on Cory being gone, but I think the audience realized early on they were just getting more of the same and jumped ship. Any changes they make now is too little too late. The most Glee can hope for is to level out.

• Scott says:

But the show has given the fans what they wanted. So why aren’t they watching now? Oh that’s right..they all hate Blaine. And Sam. And won’t be happy until its the Rachel and Kurt Hour. Like that’s ever going to happen.

15. Jimmy says:

If this series gets a second season, and I hope they do, ABC should consider getting it away from NCIS. Maybe even it pair it with a strong lead in for a few weeks. The last few episodes have shown the potential of this series and I want to see more.

16. Boiler says:

Feel bad for Trophy Wife. Guess that is an extra half hour I’ll have free next season since, after events this season, can’t trust ABC to do anything right.

• HAP says:

Kind of a shame no one is watching. It’s a very entertaining show. And it pairs well with The Goldbergs.

• MiaB says:

It’s a really good show and this week’s episode was one of the best. I wish ABC would put it at 8:30 and put The Goldbergs at 8 and push SHIELD back to 9. I think they would all do better for it.

17. KC says:

Happy Glee went up a bit – these all NY eps are really good!

18. azu says:

AoS problems for me are Skye and ward. They are such boring characters and then they go and add love triangle. Yuck!!

• wrstlgirl says:

I don’t mind Ward but Skye is meh. My least favorite character is May. I get no personality from her whatsoever. She’s just bland and difficult to watch for me.

• John NYC says:

Like the series overall,l I suspect they’ve been marking time given her 8-0-4 status.

• Becky says:

That’s why I was pleasantly surprised when they put Ward with May. It actually gave her a chance to do more than just stand around looking pissed. I’m no shipper by any means but I thought it was an unexpected change for the Ward character and a nice way to explore May’s closed off feelings. But…then the show killed that and went back to Ward and Skye. That is the day I stopped watching the show. (Yes, I understand that changed last night but I’m not buying that just yet.)

• wrstlgirl says:

Agreed, last nights episode was pretty damn great BUT I’m still not sold on this series. I was rooting for Coulson to kill May, doh. IMHO she serves no purpose but to annoy me :-) I’m not a Skye fan either but at least Ward can have a little bit of fun with that one, LOL!!!!! May = cold fish :-)

• RyanG says:

Its funny all these complaints about May. Its fine many think that way as its their opinion and all that.
            But these comments made me wonder if any of these same people also watch the Walking Dead. Michonne was introduced the same way and was practically universally loved as a character being the same “cold fish” type of character until recently.

• Jax says:

Maybe they should give May a sword. ;-)

• wrstlgirl says:

Ryan ~ I’m a HUGE Walking Dead fan and I get what you’re saying but for me I see a big difference with Michonne. Yes, she was “pissed” all the time but we also saw little glimpses of a real human being there. It was clear to me from the initial introduction of the character that there were underlying reasons for her demeanor. With May I’ve not seen anything like that. Yeah, I know, just my opinion but everybody’s got one :-)

19. Steve F. says:

Dang! AOS is getting really good – what does it have to do to get a ratings uptick (besides switching nights where The Voice and NCIS aren’t on)?

20. Pat says:

NCIS was pretty good last night. I enjoyed finally seeing more of the regulars, Vance, Tony, Tim, Abby, Ducky, Jimmy and yes, I will include Bishop ( Thank God there were no scenes if her sitting on the floor). Now, I just hope that this continues for the rest of what is left of this season.

• suzi says:

I don’t understand the rather intense negative fixation on Bishop’s habit of sitting on the floor. It’s no more odd than some of the quirky things we’ve seen Abby do, and everyone loves her.

• Francis Alston says:

Thank you, Abby slept in a coffin, but Bishop sitting on the floor, is like the coming of the Apocalypse. I believe people just have to have something to complain about Bishop. (Or the snark attacks about how bizarre her dark eyebrows are with blonde hair–the HORROR!!!!)

21. Becky says:

For those of you who were wondering…ABC will have it’s Network Upfront on Tuesday May 13th. You will definitely know on that day (if not earlier) whether SHIELD was renewed or not.

22. Kitasi says:

Not terribly surprising, I know several people wh haven’t watched the latest episode yet because they want to wait until after they see Winter Soldier.

23. wellsoul2 says:

I really, really hate Victoria Hand . So happy she was shot by someone, but sure she’ll
    be back. I guess it’s a tribute to the actress though if she can make you hate her that much.
    I would really like to see Maria Hill take on Hand.

24. joe says:

will someone already cancel that shield , its boaring and childish

25. Apples says:

Mindy is at CW levels, awful

26. Jack says:

Gotta face the facts …. The NCIS franchise is ” swirling the bowl “. Mark Harmon has reverted back to 1987 when he played the goofy, weak-willed high-school gym teacher ” Freddy Shoop ” …. After this NCIS season, he will NEVER, EVER be Gibbs again …. The show writers have allowed the Wickersham/Bishop character to thoroughly emasculate not only all the male characters on the show, but has specifically done the best job on the Gibbs character ….. turning the once fierce Gibbs into a weak, Wickersham/Bishop groupie who is now known as Special Agent Leroy Jethro Cupcake.

• FrankC says:

Really? Well, you don’t know jack-Jack. Have you met “Mike Hammer” above–you not only share the same views, you sound quite alike as well. Why don’t you face some facts, if you don’t like the show why don’t you switch your channel and watch Agents of Shield? Yes, NCIS is “swirling the bowl”, I mean look at how many people aren’t watching–oh wait, 17 million and counting–guess math wasn’t your strongest class, huh? Your rant against Bishop gives you away–sad, sad little person………………sorry, “Jack”, Cote is not coming back, she left because she wanted to, I know it’s hard to accept reality. SMH

27. Oh God! The dumbing of America and its preference for the equally mediocre NCIS continues on.

28. There was nothing wrong with this show. NCIS has been in a major decline, quality wise, for the past three years or so. Yet, it’s hanging on in the ratings. Why? Because it gives the public what it wants – fast-paced storylines with unimaginative characters and writing, lots of action and quick resolutions.

AGENTS OF SHIELD is a serial television drama that develops its story arc throughout the season . . . and possibly the series. It is probably more well planned than “LOST” was, only it didn’t start off with a bang, like many viewers wanted it to. Unfortunately, the television viewing public has become too lazy, too stupid and too impatient to allow its main plot to slowly develop. I bet if BUFFY or BAYBLON 5 had premiered in this AGE OF FAST FOOD STORYTELLING, they would not have survived beyond one season.

29. Andrew says:

Well, I see the typical NCIS whiners are here. Want some cheese to go with your whine?

30. a says:

Hello everyone, it’s my first pay a visit at this web page, and article is in fact fruitful in favor of me, keep up
    posting these types of posts.

31. Ѵous nous concосtez continuellement des articles passionnants