Upfronts 2014: FX Boss Talks More Americans, Finite Fargo, Louie's 'Amazing' Return and More

The Americans Renewed Season 3Fans of The Americans should expect to spy “a formal Season 3 order soon,” FX Networks CEO John Landgraf shared Wednesday morning at the cabler’s annual Upfront presentation.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Already Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble? What’s Returning?

In surveying the FX/FXX slate, Landgraf also touted TV’s Coen Brothers-blessed take on Fargo (premiering April 15) as “one of the better things we’ve ever put on the network” — though he made clear that even in success, any possible Season 2 would spin a different story, that the Billy Bob Thornton/Martin Freeman caper is “not open-ended.”

Landgraf said that Louie‘s return after an extended break requested by series star/creator/editor/everything Louis CK resulted in “amazing” new episodes.

The new comedies Married (starring Nat Faxon and Judy Greer as marrieds) and You’re the Worst (which follows two self-destructive people who fall in love) will bow in June and “fit the premium comedy brand” that Louie established, Landgraf said. The new political/family drama Tyrant also premieres that month.

Also noted at FX Networks’ Upfront presentation:
* July will bring on Season 2 of The Bridge and Guillermo del Toro’s buzzy The Strain.
* Wilfred‘s fourth and final season will be unleashed this summer on FXX.
* Come September, you have Sons of Anarchy‘s final cycle, plus The League Season 6. American Horror Story: Freak Show — now costarring The Shield‘s Michael Chiklis — arrives in October.
* In early 2015, Archer will return, Justified will unload its final season, and you’ve got new comedies from Billy Crystal (The Comedians) and Tracy Morgan plus Season 10 of It’s Always Sunny (which is already picked up for Seasons 11 and 12).

1. Lauren says:

FX has sneakily turned into a network with some of the best original programming you can find. I am so excited to watch Fargo!

2. Blakey says:

More AMERICANS please!!!

3. Roni says:

What about Chozen?

4. Dav says:

Woo Hoo! Happy for the Americans!

5. Zach says:

So glad that Fargo isn’t a straight up miniseries. I don’t care that the cast & characters will change, it’s just not fair to just call it quits after one season considering the creative talent involved.

6. Will says:

LOVE The League and Archer. Going to check out Louie on Netflix first and try out Fargo as well. The Americans, while I adore Keri Russell, just never did it for me.

7. Bill says:

So it’s Alwats Sunny will start in spring 2015 instead of Fall 2014? Hmmmm that’s better

8. JBC says:

Surprising that The Americans are able to get a S3 with the dismal ratings this year. I wish they wouldn’t wait a whole year between seasons. I like it myself and think the writing and acting are very good. (except that I don’t care for the very not needed over the top sex scenes/nudity but that’s just me).
    I wonder why some networks keep on with their original shows when they have low ratings and other’s have good ratings and get pushed out, like White Collar on USA network.

9. Blasthoff says:

The Americans has had my interest from the very beginning. The plot of this series is not as well known to younger generations as it was to mine. It grabbed my attention and interest at a very young age, dating back to the 1950’s. I probably view this program with different eyes then most. That said, I also enjoy the TV program on it’s own entertainment value. I love the characters and enjoy the plot lines.

10. Steve matthews says:

The Americans has had a rough time in reviews, but that is due to the fact it’s a story about people who happend to be in,or caught up with, a Soviet network.
    Happy to see a season 3, hopefully the script with have a bit more bite and the directing a bit more edgy.

11. Linda says:

The Americans is one of the best shows on TV. Look forward to each episode.