Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Video: Captain America 2's Impact on ABC Series Will 'Blow Your Mind'

Without spoiling the seismic events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, cast members of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in a new video tease the imminent blowback for the ABC series, starting with this Tuesday’s episode.

RELATED | How Will ABC’s S.H.I.E.L.D. Cope With the Captain America 2 Twist? ‘We Were In Shock,’ Says Star

In “Turn, Turn, Turn,” the first episode to follow Winter Soldier‘s release, Coulson and his team find themselves without anyone they can trust, only to discover that they are trapped with a traitor in their midst — themes that echo the big-screen sequel’s dramatic underpinnings.

Echoing that with EP’s Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tanchareon told TVLine, Chloe Bennett says in the video below, “[Winter Soldier] is going to heavily affect the relationships of our characters on the show [and] really change the direction [Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.] takes the rest of the season.”

“This is the first time any franchise has tried to link a film with a television show, in this capacity,” notes Ming-Na Wen, whose Melinda May has just had a big secret divulged, calling into question her agenda and loyalties. “It is all connected.” #Hashtag

VIDEO | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Sneak Peek: [Spoiler] — Yes, [Spoiler] — Is Out to Kill Agent Garrett

Existing questions cast in a new light by the Marvel-ous motion picture include, “Who has May been secretly communicating with?” and “Who is the ‘all-knowing’ Clairvoyant?” (Perhaps the latter mystery ties into who Cap found deep inside the New Jersey barracks?)

SCHEDULING NEWS: Next Tuesday, on April 15, S.H.I.E.L.D. will encore “Turn, Turn Turn” at 8 pm, leading into the new episode “Providence” at 9 pm.

1. Jerry says:

Having the Clairvoyant be who was found in the bunker seems right, but how do they resolve it on the show for those who don’t see the movie? Since the bunker was destroyed.

• I’m sure that won’t be a problem. The movie was a hit. Lots of people will have seen it.

• Mark says:

I don’t think there are that many people watching this show who won’t see the film.

• John NYC says:

Given the weekend opening box office numbers I expect you’re right.

• cookiekirk says:

Your right Mark, I went to see the mo ie this past Saturday and I Loved it!! I wanted to see Noah but my friend was insisted we see Captain America,I’m glad she did. I loved,loved it. Was not cartoon-ey at all. Most fans have 3weeks to see it and understand the connection.

• tyranthraxus says:

You wanted to see Noah? Wow thats a first. Watch out for spoilers! :)

Im not sure Zola was the Clairvoyant. We shall see though.

• Kate says:

The characters on the show are thinking it is an actual person fairly high up who is actually the Clairvoyant not a computer system and then I am guessing Garrett getting chased by Shield (I am not doing the acronym anymore) plus they will likely have footage of Natasha’s testimony where I am sure she talks about Zola and Skye probably gets that pulled up rather soon.

2. thatdude says:

Saw Winter Soldier which was perfection, Marvels best imo, tomorrow is gonna be a great episode

3. “This is the first time any franchise has tried to link a film with a television show, in this capacity,”

RIP Tron Uprising.

• karl says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t The X-files have a movie come out with a movie in between seasons that tied the two seasons together?

• yes, but that was a movie about characters that you know in the series .. the crossover thing that is happening between “agents of shield” and the marvel cinematic universe it’s happening for the first time in so big scale … there was going to be the same with stephen king’s “dark tower ” series (having 3 big movies and 3 or 4 12 episodes series but as i know is in the fridge)
          saying all that things now can we stop the debate “agents of shield vs arrow” is 2 totally different shows , it happen both of them to be based on comic books

4. Christina says:

So excited to see how Captain America affects the show. Really hoping the ratings tick up at least a little for them, it’s finally getting good!

• Mikael says:

I feel like the reason why AOS started off so slow is because they were stalling until The Winter Soldier came out. I know they wanted to get this show as soon as they could to capitalize off of the Avengers, but I think that having the show start in January with all of the filler cut out would have been better for the show. I have a feeling that next season will be really good.

5. Bryce says:

Wow can we talk about the opening and ending? Let’s just do a sequence of people drawing guns on each other. For real, it’s amiable what Marvel is trying to do but it’s just not quality. The Avengers was one of the most boring films I’ve ever seen (and why the hype?!) and SHIELD is just a physical representation of the word “meh.” I sincerely hope they cancel SHIELD while they’re ahead. They can’t even keep decent ratings. It’s pitiful.

• Mark says:

If you thought Avengers was a boring film, I’m curious to know what does entertain you. AoS is an awful show but the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies have largely been somewhere between good and fantastic.

• wrstlgirl says:

I was also bored by the Avengers.

• wingsstef says:

I am curious. Did you watch the rest of the movies, (not counting the shorts, I haven’t seen all of those either, but they are also connected) before you saw The Avengers? The reason I am asking is because The Avengers isn’t really a stand alone film and I wonder if that is why some people didn’t like it. Personally, I know one my sisters said the movie was “over-rated”. She didn’t see all the MCU movies either. I have enjoyed all the MCU movies, though some more than others. Captain America Winter Solider is up there with The Avengers and the first Iron Man movie as the best ones. Personally there were movies, my sister liked that I thought was over-rated, so no offense meant, but it’s an observation that I have made. To each their own.

• Bored Now says:

And the award for the most obvious troll attempt I’ve seen all week goes to…

Seriously, you click on a news story about a show you clearly already didn’t like at all (won’t even go into how sad and empty a life that suggests you have) and then not only do you bother to write out a post telling the world of your dislike for that show but then decide to insult the Avengers movie too? Really?

The ‘hype’, as you call it, comes from many, many people having a different opinion to you. The Avengers is one of the most successful movies of all time. A fact that implies *shock horror* that your personal opinion is just that. An opinion that is purely yours. And apparently one that the large majority disagree with. So yay for you.

• Ben says:

They can keep ratings that are easily decent enough for a renewal.

6. Steve Olson says:

So while I do plan on watching the Captain America movie soon, I haven’t seen it yet – should I hold off on seeing new episodes of AoS until I get a chance to see the movie?

• Fosho says:

• Kate says:

i don’t actually know if it is vital, I feel like the show was leading us to the connecting event in Captain America and then they are going to reveal that connecting event in the show. But, I saw Captain America knowing this particular secret and it was still really good. But you are left kind of thinking, well, wait, that doesn’t even hold the important stuff…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Agreed; I went in knowing the big spoiler (occupational hazard, sigh), but WINTER SOLDIER was still phenomenal.

• Dreamrose says:

I completely agree – I knew pretty well what was going to happen before I walked into the theater, but the movie was still a total blast for me. And that definitely says something! And now I’m even more looking forward to how AoS links up with “Winter Soldier” in the upcoming episode. I’m hoping we learn more about the wherefores and whys we’ve been missing up to this point!

• John NYC says:

Yes, most everyone walks into a Romeo and Juliet production knowing the “spoiler” and yet a wow execution gets the kudos.

• tyranthraxus says:

Do you thihk they CUT many scenes from Winter Soldier?I felt like maybe some Agent 13 scenes were cut (was that Emily Van Camp btw?)

I think the movie provides a LOT of material the show can run with. I hope with future seasons of the tv show Hydra pops up again and again. Also is Zola actually dead? Being a brain in a computer he might be somewhere else entirely.

• Yes absolutely wait on SHIELD until you see the movie.

• Sara says:

Clark Gregg has tweeted to fans that it isn’t essential to see the movie before the episode, but he would recommend just because it is awesome and will enhance the episode.

7. wrstlgirl says:

As hard as I tried you’d have to be a hermit to not be spoiled by this. It’s all over the internet and not discretely either. I’ve not seen the movie and honestly don’t feel all that compelled to run out and see it now that I know all about it. I’ll wait for the DVD. As far as the show goes, I’m very curious to see the rating for this weeks episode considering all the hype.

8. Olafur says:

The Clairvoyant is … Arnim Zola … ´nuff said.

9. sladewilson says:

I wanna know who is the traitor on Coulson’s team!!!! I don’t think it’s May. I don’t know why, but I’m thinking either Ward or Fitz.

• Kayla says:

Y’know how Fitz was looking all squirrelly before revealing he found out about May’s secret line? Fitz has been adorable so far BUT I think it would be great story wise to flip it so he’s the traitor and then we see how it almost destroys Simmons, etc.

• The Kaibosh says:

My impression is that its gonna be Simmons. I’m basing this more on the mechanics of the show over any specific plot clue. The show is still an action show at its heart and in order to do that you need the right number of people to do the fighting. That’s Ward and May. Given the events of Captain America, the “Bus” will be adrift and our heroes will be on their own so you’ll need tech wizardry to make the best use of the gadgets they already have. That’s Fitz which means this suspicious behavior of his is a red herring. They’ve already gone down the road of Skye being a mole for the Rising Tide so that trope is for the most part played out. That leaves Simmons who lately has been a little too eager to get Skye’s blood to HQ despite Coulson’s repeated insistence that everything be kept in house. Besides: Marvel and the Whedons like their femme fatale characters and I can see sweet little Gemma Simmons taking a dramatic turn.

• John NYC says:

Her being so eager to go against Coulson sort of raised my eyebrows as well. Granted the “over eager scientist” going for knowledge at any cost has a certain precedent as well, but traitor also works.

• I just hope it isn’t Ward

• TvPeong says:

Is there a traitor on Coulson’s team? I thought it was the other lady

10. Alice says:

Unfortunately, this is the whole problem with “Agents of SHIELD.” To be a good show – much less a great show – it needs to be its own drama, with its own story/energy/narrative. The ties to the Marvel filmverse should add some luster. Instead, AOS is stuck limping along behind; the Great Big Reveal We’ve Been Leading Up To All Along has just turned out to be something that happened *not on the show.* Whatever AOS does with this is going to be smaller, and less exciting, and anticlimactic. As long as Marvel keeps looking at AOS first as “part of our brand” instead of as its own show, with its own independent identity and energy, the series is going to remain pretty flat.

• Sara says:

And yet most complaints about the show are that it doesn’t tie in enough to the Marvel movies…such a conundrum.

• Alice says:

IMO, if the show were better and more exciting on its own, people wouldn’t notice the lack of Marvel tie-ins as much. And they could always bring in more Marvel characters, etc., without leaning so heavily on the plotlines of the films. The world of Marvel is so big that they ought to have a big enough playground without sharing turf with the movies all the time.

11. MissMel says:

I’m so disgusted with the way Marvel is doing things. I am a huge Joss Whedon fan and I loved The Avengers, so I was really excited about Shield. The show had the potential to be amazing but it’s not really a show at all, it’s just a bridge between Marvel films. That’s great for the hard-core fan boys who are going to gobble everything up anyway but I’m just a casual fan. I don’t always get to see the films in the theatre when they come out. Apparently there’s no room for people like me in Marvel’s grand plan.

• Katherine215 says:

I, too, am annoyed that they’re significantly linking the movies and the show. Especially since the movie has only been out for a couple days before the episode airs. I didn’t plan to run out and see Captain America and now I’m annoyed that I have to decide between being spoiled or waiting until I get to the movies.

12. Nicole says:

I don’t understand why people are complaining about being spoiled when they visit spoiler sites. The movie was great, the show has gotten better, and I like the fact they are connecting it so soon. After the events in Captain America 2 it would be nearly impossible not to without changing the timeline. Even knowing what happens wouldn’t make the movie less enjoyable. As someone who has seen more movie endings than movies, this is one where knowing the ending doesn’t stop me from wanting to watch it.

13. Carla Krae says:

I saw Cap 2 on Saturday, so now I have all kinds of speculative thoughts about who the Clairvoyant is and what they’ve REALLY been up to. Because what we thought might not be what we thought anymore. Argh to that time change on the 15th, though – I have one of those dumb only-records-2-things-at-once DVRs, so now I’m going to have conflicts and wait for stuff to pop up on On Demand.

14. Kristin says:

What a coup for Marvel and ABC! I think its genius tying all the Marvel films together and crossing over into television. My son watches the new Spiderman cartoon and Shield makes cameos there as well.
    I have been a huge fan of Shield since day one and it’s just getting better and better! Can’t wait for tomorrow!
    Maybe there is no mole. Maybe it’s by design that Shield is disbanding. Part of some bigger purpose or something?
    Or maybe it’s like Star Wars where they will all get wiped out, save for a few, and then an uprising will overtake the Empire.
    It’s fun to speculate!

15. ANON R says:

I want the traitor to be Ward just because he has zero appeal.

16. Grace J. Grant says:

I Think the Traitor is Simmons, she is somehow connected w/ Clairvoyance and the German Doctor in the First Avenger. She maybe a granddaughter of his. Seeking revenge, or somthing else. My opinion.