Report: Battlestar Galactica Movie in the Works, But Hold Up, Starbuck -- There's a Twist

Battlestar Galactica MovieThe big-screen return of Adama, Starbuck, Boomer and Baltar? So say we all!

But just a minute, Battlestar Galactica fans: The version of the sci-fi series that’s being planned for the big screen is a “complete reimagining of the story,” Variety reports.

RELATED | What to Watch: Galactica Prequel and 4 Other Web Series Worth Checking Out

The story basics will remain the same: Humans fight a long, bloody battle against sentient robots known as Cylons (and the term “frak” is bandied about a lot).

But Ron Moore — who masterminded the sci-fi classic’s popular 2003 reboot on Syfy — is not attached to the project, though original series creator Glen Larson is a producer on the film.

Jack Paglen (Transcendence) reportedly will pen the movie’s script.

Would you pay to see a reimagined Battlestar on the big screen? Sound off in the comments!

1. Dave says:

No. Just no.

• JA says:

^This. If you’re going to do something “attached,” at least make it a sequel or spin-off or in the same universe or something. Who wants a “re-imagining” of something that was already re-imagined, and done so well that anything else will seem lackluster?

• Temperance says:

Because the second version, as awesome as it was, was definitely not even slightly the same storyline as the original. The target audience wasn’t the same, the approach was completely different, and the mythology was nothing alike at all. I’d love a modern update of the Goonies/ Indiana Jones/ Star Wars approach for the PG/PG-13 crowd. Now, if you want a Moore reboot of a franchise? Logan’s Run. It needs to be an R movie, or on cable.

• justsaying says:

I’ve been surprised there hasn’t been a Logan’s Run reboot yet. I think Moore would be an excellent choice for capturing the dark tone of that premise

• Temperance says:

It could be pretty great. The source material was much richer than the movie, so a lot could be done.

• I remember Logan Run how about a reboot of Space 1999 now that should get a reboot did the Alphans find a new home?

• “All this has happened before, and all this will happen again”

Honestly I’d like to see BSG rebooted once a decade or so. It’s such a strong premise, with lots of different directions to explore.

• Liz says:

Actually that would be really interesting. But have it done with awareness of the cycle it’s stuck in and be really awesome. If done well that set up could be GENIUS

• Ari says:

Yep, my thoughts exactly!

2. David says:

This has been in the planning stages for quite some time. I’m sad we don’t get a 2003 movie version. I just hope it’s at least half as good.

3. Liz says:

Seriously??!!??!?? The tv series is one of THE best television series to ever be made and a standard to which all other scifi is measured against. Rebooting it for a movie is ridiculous. And without Moore …..what the frak.

4. Et al. says:

This sounds like that Buffy story that was ultimately untrue.

• dude says:

Was it untrue or did the project just fall apart after the fans revolted and the TV cast protested it?

• LK says:

Well the Buffy story wast actually untrue… It was in the works.. they just couldnt get the story right and wound up dropping it.

• Brooke says:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I don’t think it was untrue, I just don’t think it ever went anywhere. Highly acclaimed TV series based off a much cheesier original version being optioned for a rebooted movie? So say we all ‘no.’

5. Old news. Is Singer still attached?

6. Bored Now says:

I’m glad that this isn’t attached to the 2003 show, because I’m really happy with the story we got and it doesn’t need adding to, unless of course someone finally decides to do more Caprica, then go right ahead!

The movie though? Seems kinda pointless. We already had a successful remake so why bother?

7. Joe B says:

How about no?

8. Mark says:

If they want more go back and do a series with Ron Moore that bridges the gap between Caprica and Battlestar Gallactica series 2003 reboot. In the same format they did the SYFY series Dune and Children of Dune now that I would get behind

9. LaPiquante says:

Is this Bryan Singer’s version? because he’s been working on that for a while. Since before the reboot that set the bar for television so high. IMO, the television reboot was so stellar, we have no need for a movie reboot. At least, not for another 20 years or so.

10. Claudia says:

A reimagining of the series that was a reimagining of the series. No, thank youl.
    In the reimagined series the human looking cylons originally came from a small group that had survived a long before war (not the Caprica prequel) – would have liked to see that. But there wouldn’t be Adama, Starbuck, Apollo or Boomer, so never mind.

11. wrstlgirl says:

Frak No!!

12. Mare says:

Cool! I hated the updated version of the show, but loved the original. Maybe they can fix what the Ron Moore remake did to the series!!

• Len says:

Agreed! I despised how the show became human vs human rather than human vs machine they the original was!

• liz says:

the show was human vs human AND human vs machine. It was a nuanced story with conflict coming from all angles – which is pretty realistic. There was a huge overall issue with the machine/cyborg stuff and how that line gets blurred, but there was also an incredibly incendiary political story about humans are are own worst enemies….which is kinda the point because humans created the cylons.

13. opus says:

A truly horrible idea! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

14. A reimagining of a reimagining?

15. Dani says:

Ugh.

Bad.

Just don’t.

Don’t do it.

16. Chris says:

Read headline (excited inhale), read article (dejected exhale). Thanks for the breathing exercises.

17. Mary says:

too soon. Like forever too soon.

18. Starbuckeroo says:

So basically what I’m hearing is NO! don’t make a re-imagined BSG movie regardless if it’s based on the rebooted/re-imagined 2003 mini-series, the 2004 TV series, the 2010 prequel origin series, the 2012 10-episode post-origin sequel/mini-series prequel web-series, the 1978 original TV series (which was the basis for the 2003 mini-series adaptation), or the 1980 original sequel follow-up series (which everyone agrees was just plain terrible except for ‘The Return of Starbuck’ episode which explains little BUT gave us Dirk Benedict!)

Of course seeing how many times they’ve gone back to this particular well… I’m not at all surprised they’re pondering taking this particular property out for a spin again, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING the success of nuTREK, the advent of StarWars 7-8-9+, and of course the “Community” MOVIE (which will make 1.3 billion after Season 6 airs next year…)

However I’d much rather see NEW adaptations/continuations of Farscape/Babylon 5 just cause they haven’t had much done with them yet.

19. Tina Majorino-Shepherd says:

The reimaging was so much better than the original…I’m afraid this will go backwards. Why not give it to the team that made it so good for Syfy

20. alex jones says:

stop bashing it before it’s even been made people.

21. Danielle says:

NOPE. A whole heaping frak of no

22. Cj says:

Since Ron Moore ruined bsg with his finale I’m down with a remake or whatever they are calling them these days to sound better.

• Jason says:

Yes, this is basically my stance on the re-re-boot of this property. Loved the original series when I was little, still adore the similarly themed game “Homeworld”, and was a big fan of the first two seasons of the Ron Moore variant.

The nonsensical series finale severely nerd rages me to this day. Absolutely stupid ending based on a (KEWL) high concept of tying in the Colonial arrival to our Earth with the occasion of Mitochondrial Eve as a common human ancestor

Functionally, since agriculture and every technology more advanced than stone shaping weren’t developed until many tens of thousands of years after the Mitochondrial Eve date, the choice of that date implies to me that the Colonials arrived on Earth and almost immediately died out without their technology having left NOTHING behind except that fragment of genetic information from one human/Cylon hybrid child who would interbreed with the local cavemen when she grew up. Charming.

Result, Tens of thousands of years of Colonial culture and learning utterly forgotten. I feel like the manipulating god of the series seems to have wanted to prove that the cycle could be naturally broken, but doesn’t actually allow it to happen unimpeded. Almost like its got a bet with some other entity and cannot avoid meddling to get the result it wants – even if it has to try over and over. Thus we’ve heard of the Greek gods revered by the Colonials, but only because they would have been re-introduced to us by the angels/agents later on.

As for convincing characterizations; ‘Lets chuck all our cultural heritage and technology into the Sun because Apollo chimes in against rebuilding’ is what we end on. Yeah every parent on those ships will go along with having their children immediately starving, freezing, dying of disease, etc. Seems plausible.

Essentially I hate that the writers found a lazy story hook to conclude with and expected us to sing their praises. I would like to see somebody eventually take up the challenge of the Galactica and her rag tag survivor fleet, but I do find the timing to be a shade on the early side.

Best of luck little re-re-boot.

23. Terri Main says:

I don’t pay to see any movie. At least not more than my 9 dollar amonth netflix subscription. I mean wait a month and you get it on netflix, in my own home, where I control the sound, can turn it off when I go to the bathroom and I can eat popcorn I make myself at a reasonable price.

24. Ben says:

BSG was completely awesome, but honestly it left me feeling as though the entire world could be rebooted again, and a third version of the story told. The one thing which I think Moore gave to the story which should never, ever be taken away from any reboot is the idea that some of the people could be Cylons without even knowing it. That brought most of the best tension in the 2003 series.

25. ljd213 says:

Could care less about the movie but thanks for posting a cast pic and a nice closeup of the Pres and the Admiral. Reminded me of that epic love story and the two amazing actors who led such a stellar cast.

So say we all!

26. Alia says:

But with the same actors!!!!!!!! … Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Jamie Bamber, Grace Park, James Callis …

27. Helo says:

no no no

28. kimberly says:

I really enjoyed the rebooted series, but I’m not going to judge until I watch this particular movie. If they end up casting an equal amount of eye candy, I won’t complain about that.

29. marea67 says:

How about NOT naming it Battlestar Galactica? Just call it Star Wars and go irritate another group of fans! …

30. JASon says:

I still prefer the originakl series. Mostly because the actors were better and the design was better. Just please bring back the original music. That was wht was missing from the newer series.

• Liz says:

When I try and list my favourite things about the new BSG, the music is always on that list. Bear McCreary did a genius job of making the music a character as much as anything else. It was original, dynamic and innovative. For a show that was structured to draw our attention to the relationship between technology and humanity, elevating the music so we couldn’t help but notice it is rather bold.