Bates Motel Renewed for Season 3

Bates Motel Season 3A&E has extended its reservation at Bates Motel, renewing the psychotic drama for a 10-episode third season.

“The incredible writing team and talented Bates Motel cast has made this series one of the most compelling original dramas on television,” said A&E EVP and GM David McKillop in a statement. “The brilliant twists and turns of the past two seasons keep its loyal fan base coming back for more. We are so proud of the show.”

Bates‘ Season 2 premiere last month drew 3.1 million viewers, 1.7 million of which fell in the 18-49 demo (up 15 and 7 percent, respectively, compared to its Season 1 average).

Production on Season 3 will begin this fall. Season 2, meanwhile, will conclude on May 5.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

1. Katie says:

YES! Now, what about Hannibal?

• Natalie says:

Won’t be announced until May.

I personally think it will get a third season. I think even if NBC cancels it, a cable network will pick it up.

• Evan says:

Could you imagine Hannibal on HBO or Showtime???? I think that might be the best thing to ever happen to this series!!

• Katie says:

Right?! Or FX, I could see it fitting in there too.

• johnhelvete says:

A cable channel might be able to build the audience for Hannibal but I think Fuller and company are able to make the show they want to, I don’t think being on cable would raise the quality of the show, the quality is pretty high already.

• johnhelvete says:

A&E was actually the channel rumored to be strongly interested in Hannibal last year. With the ratings failure of Those Who Kill, they might have even higher interest this year. Also dont count out WGN if NBC passes on season 3.

2. jasie says:

Great! Really has been a strong series. Totally unexpected but has been a strong show.

3. Spoiler Junkie says:

Great news. One can never have enough of Vera Farmiga’s Norma Bates. Freddie Highmore is also outstanding as Norman Bates.

• alistaircrane says:

And Max Thieriot brings the eye candy. ;-)

• Jamie says:

Don’t write off his acting! His story is part of what brings me back week after week. He’s not just eye candy, his character makes me feel real emotions, which is kind of the point, right?

• abz says:

I agree. I find the Norma/Dylan relationship/dynamic way more fascinating and interesting than the Norma/Norman relationship. Max is a great addition to the show.

4. alistaircrane says:

Great news! I love this show. It’s going to be quite exciting when Norman finally kills and stuffs Norma!

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

If I’m not mistaken they said at one point the story may deviate from what’s supposed to happen in the films.

• alistaircrane says:

I hiiiiiiiiighly doubt the show will deviate from the most important part of the Norman Bates mythology.

• rocky says:

Same here I kinda doubt it. I don’t see it deviating from the original version. But you never know with writers these days they like to write in twists and change endings to a lot of season finales for a lot of tv series which in turn disappoints viewers. I don’t know the only thing to do is keep watching.

• alistaircrane says:

They have already deviated by setting the show in the present day, changing the name of the town from Fairvale to White Pine Bay, changing the town’s location from California to Oregon, and introducing a Bates brother (Dylan). That’s what they mean by deviating from the film. It’s extremely unlikely they would develop a prequel and then not have the most significant event occur. Norman is already manifesting the Mother persona, so it’s only a matter of time before Norma meets her twisted fate.

• abz says:

I’m not familiar with the films but I’ve read up on what’s supposed to happen. I hope they deviate from it or if they decide to go through with it, then they should just end the show after that. Freddie Highmore is great, but it’s Vera Farmiga that is the biggest part of why I became so hooked on this show and her performance is what keeps me wanting to see it each week.I can’t imagine the show without her.

5. Fernando says:

Yes Vera plays Norman Bates so beautifully, she deserves an Emmy for it

6. Matt C. says:

Glad that A&E is still giving the show another chance even if this year’s numbers aren’t as strong as the first season. I can’t get enough of Vera Farmiga so I hope this show lasts for many years!

7. Louise says:

Great news!

8. Joey Padron says:

Happy news! Season 2 have been great so far.

9. Et al. says:

Very happy to see this!

10. Jared says:

I’m not loving the storyline this season of Bates Motel but regardless it’s still a great series with a talented cast. Happy to see it get renewed.

11. Sam says:

I didn’t know anyone was actually watching this show.

• rocky says:

yup wouldn’t miss it. Started last season and got hooked. Now that the walking dead has ended there’s really nothing else that’s interesting besides the regular shows like the following, csi, criminal minds. Not really into comedies so very nerve wracking.

12. +1 says:

I quit after the season 1 finale. Vera and Freddy (on a lesser degree) had outstanding performances but the weak storylines were not enough to pull me in. Especially those annoying teen chicks in the Norman love triangle. I’d watch a whole show about Norma but the stupidity on the show is unbeliavable.

• Katie says:

I agree about Bradley, but not Emma. Thankfully they got rid of Bradley and essentially replaced her with the FAR more compelling Cody.

13. ivy says:

this show is amazing
    perfect cast, brilliant writing, creepy
    but the whole Bradley thing need to end then the show will be perfect

14. Angela says:

Cool news! This show’s been an intriguing, strange little thing, and I love the chemistry Vera and Freddie bring to their interactions with each other. Plus, we gotta see just how things continue to fall apart for Norman to where he becomes the infamous psycho we all know!

15. Chris Hughes says:

thats great news its 1 of my fav series

16. Great news! I love this show!

17. rocky says:

Hannibal should be shown on the fx, or a&e channels but the time slot that its on right now is perfect for it. Whose to say? Just love it though its awsome!

18. rockie says:

I think they should have done away with Emma and kept Bradley. I feel kinda bad for her cuz she has a difficult time trying to fit in with the crowed. She almost died she has to be on oxygen who in their right mind would jump into freezing water especiallyin that kind of condition I just don’t think that it was cool. She just wanted to show Norman that she could join in the fun, and Norman absolutely loves Emma.

19. Sabrina says:

Great news. I love the show.

20. Mikael says:

Great news! I love Bates Motel. Vera Farmiga really deserves an Emmy. I think Hannibal would be great paired with it too, if NBC is stupid and doesn’t renew it.

21. Bronwyn davies says:

Please do a series 3. I’m so hooked on this show it’s my absolute favourite. I love Norma, Norman, Dillon
    and the sheriff. All my friends and family are obsessed. I’m worried about Norman. How will I get through the next week ? Seriously I just love the show I’m so hooked. Bron

22. This is really 1 of the best shows that I’ve seen in a while. I can’t wait for season 3 to start & to watch the plot unfold!! The cast makes this show so addictive & believable. I think we will be seeing a lot of a few of these actors in the future with great careers! Vera is 1 of the most talented, best actresses I’ve seen in a while! I’ve been watching her since Desperate Housewives. She has such a unique talent of making you connect with her character, no matter what type of role she plays! She’s truly awesome & adds so much of herself to every individual character she plays! I hope “Bates Motel”last for plenty of seasons, hopefully years This is truly 1 of the best shows I’ve seen in awhile. Definately 2 thumbs up for this!! Excellent show, talent & suspense all in 1!!!!!