HBO's Silicon Valley: Did It Byte?

Silicon Valley Series Premiere HBODo you give HBO’s new tech comedy Silicon Valley a hearty “Like,” or does it deserve the rainbow wheel/blue screen of death?

Before you answer, a brief recap of Sunday’s series premiere (which aired at 10/9c): Thomas Middleditch (The LeagueThe Office) plays Richard, a shy computer whiz who works at one of Silicon Valley’s biggest tech companies hooli (think Google).

The soft-spoken Richard spends his off time developing his own online marvel in an “incubator” run by the boorish Ehrlich (The Goodwin Games‘ TJ Miller), himself a computer-geek-turned-rich-dude. Other incubator dwellers include Big Head (Josh Brener, The Big Bang Theory), Dinesh (Kumail Nanjiani, Franklin & Bash) and Gilfoyle (Martin Starr, NTSF:SD: SUV::), all of whom wouldn’t mind making a fraction of the cash sites like hooli bring in on a daily basis.

Richard’s chance comes sooner than expected, though, when the algorithm in his Pied Piper music-search engine turns out to be even more valuable than he imagined. The self-important hooli CEO Gavin Belson (Matt Ross, American Horror Story) and his assistant Jared (Zach Woods, The Office) offer millions outright; a TED-talk-giving billionaire named Peter Gregory (Christopher Evan Welch, Rubicon) instead wants to buy into the nascent company — for far less — and see where it can go.

After much nervous puking and some gentle advice from Gregory’s lovely associate Monica (Amanda Crew, Suits), Richard decides to accept Peter’s offer and build his company into something spectacular. “Let’s see how high this rocket can fly,” Ehrlich says, stoked.

Silicon Valley is from the mind of Mike Judge (Beavis and Butt-HeadKing of the Hill), which means it’s funny, raunchy and smart. And with a Google-ized tech culture so ripe for the picking — bicycle meetings! corporate rock walls! CEOs with spiritual advisors! — there’s plenty of comedy for this start-up to mine.

That’s what we thought; now it’s your turn. Grade Silicon Valley via the poll below, then back up your choice in the comments.

1. Ana says:

It was okay. I wish they didn’t bump Veep for it though.

2. GuessWhat says:

Pretty good start.
    I gave it a B.

3. tealeaves says:

It was very funny. I laughed out loud many times.

4. DarkDefender says:

I watched it, but mainly cause I hadn’t changed the channel after GoT. Watching a dragged out story about how quick and rich some twenty something gets and then watch him blow it on stupid crap? Nah… Not gonna byte.

5. Teag says:

I liked it, will continue watching.

6. Elyse says:

I recorded it so I’m excited to check it out later :D so glad I took the plunge and decided to pay for HBO!

7. It was pretty funny, but there was a lot more potential to it, which makes me excited to keep watching the short season.

It cracked me up when they started throwing around buzz word terminology, that I hear often times at my own job in the tech industry, and the pitch by the doctor in his office was classic silicon valley stuff.

8. Kevin Dillon says:

Not a fan, it deals in outdated stereotypes, I had a few chuckles, and I will watch or two more to make sure I am not wrong, but I do not get rating this at 100, it just seems like critics on metacritic wanted to be hip rather than well critics. I also can’t see this showing up at the Emmy Awards…

9. DDuncan says:

I made it about 10 minutes and switched the channel. Love the actors in it, but got bored.

10. Scott says:

I don’t like most US comedies. In fact I actively detest them. This one wasn’t bad though. Its also a far politer (and more accurate) look at geeks than Big Bang Theory has ever managed in its entire run. I’ll stick with this show thanks.

11. Eli says:

So HBO actually IS capable of doing a show without boobies everywhere, who would’ve thought…

12. Kelly says:

This show is funny, Erlich who is the most evolved due to the confidence success brings is the leader of the think tank. The humor in the program is obviously geared at the stereotypes that exist within the tech Industry. Judging by the comments of those who do not appreciate that brand of humor fail to notice the idiosyncrasies that exist within the sometimes socially inept techies. Maybe it hits to close to home hence the name “Silicon Valley”.