Showbiz Legend Mickey Rooney Dead at 93

Mickey Rooney DeadLegendary entertainer Mickey Rooney, who amassed an honorary Oscar, an Emmy and two Golden Globes during his remarkable career, has died, TMZ reports. He was 93.

Rooney had reportedly been in poor health in recent months.

Rooney’s TV credits included the eponymous The Mickey Rooney Show and Mickey, the voice of Kris Kringle in the classic Rankin/Bass animated specials Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town (see clip below) and The Year Without a Santa Claus, The New Adventures of the Black Stallion and the 1982 sitcom One of the Boys (opposite Dana Carvey and Nathan Lane).

He earned his Emmy for his lead role in the 1981 telepic Bill.

The son of a Vaudeville couple, Rooney made his stage debut before he was two years old, and graced the big screen throughout his childhood and teen years playing recurring characters Mickey McGuire and Andy Hardy.

As he grew into adulthood, Rooney made his mark in a series of musicals alongside screen legend Judy Garland, including Strike Up the Band, Girl Crazy and Babes in Arms (for which he was the first teenager nominated for an Academy Award in a leading role).

Rooney was also known for his roles in classics like National Velvet, Breakfast at Tiffany’s and The Black Stallion, as well as recent parts in Night at the Museum and 2011’s The Muppets.

1. Serena says:

No. I am so sad about this news. We lost one of the very greats. Thanks for all the smiles and laughs, Mr. Rooney. You will be greatly missed.

2. tejasjulia says:

Oh, wow. Passing of an icon.

3. alistaircrane says:

This is very sad! I loved his friendship with Judy Garland. At least he lived a long life!

4. Wendy says:

While far down on the numerous projects he was in, I enjoyed his little cameo on ER ages ago in “Exodus” in scenes with Noah Wyle when Carter was examining Mickey’s character’s eyes (and he alerted Carter to the smell of the chemical that put the hospital on lockdown!) But what a life and career! May he RIP.

5. Reblogged this on THB Files and commented:
    RIP Mickey Rooney. He will be missed. Just lost another film legend.

6. Mary S says:

He was a child star, appearing in many movies, and dated some of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. If you are too young to have seen the oldies, pick one and be charmed by him. I am glad he lived so long and gave so much to the entertainment industry. He will be missed.

7. wingsstef says:

I am sadden to hear this news. Thoughts to his family.

8. LemonLime says:

I’d like to say how awesome TVLine was to report this before IMDB did. Kudos.

Digressing. This is truly the end of the golden age of film. I loved his all his work with Garland, National Velvet, and many others.

9. Name This Tune says:

He was an actor my parents watched back in the thirties and forties. Can’t be many of his generation left.

10. abbyjope says:

was so sad to hear this. what he contributed to film as a character actor seems almost unparalleled. RIP, Mickey!

11. tree cuting says:

Wonderful information. Regards.

12. Chris says:

Little odd that no major network has reported this as of over an hour later, isn’t it?

13. Michael Callahan says:

In 1980, after flying into New York from Genoa, I met my Mom at the Mark Hellinger to see Mickey Rooney and Ann Miller in “Sugar Babies”. I was fading fast and nodded off during the performance. I woke up to find Mickey Rooney sitting on my lap, eyeballing me and saying ” What….am I boring you, kid?”. What a mensch!! And, what a performer. Hats off to a legendary gentleman.

14. TV Gord says:

Fun Fact: Mickey was Norman Lear’s first choice to play Archie Bunker! Mickey turned it down because he thought it would never work.

15. tvdiva says:

You forgot his marvelous performance in the Twilight Zone episode The Last Night of a Jockey. He was great in everything he did from movies to TV. RIP Mickey. You will be missed.

16. side3 says:

I check TCM every month or so for his movies. Always great, whether they are Andy Hardy movies, or some of the Noir movies he made in the late 1940’s and 1950’s. A true legend.

17. JAO says:

Every thing others have said and more. An amazing talent who was a joy to experience. I still re-watch his old movies. Thanks for the memories.

18. RTW says:

We lost another legend. Rest in peace Mickey and thank you for the memories!

19. jeff rice. says:

You have inspired me whole life.. I have always enjoyed your shows old and new,, you are truly one of the last great and will be missed by all who knew you.. Thank you for all the shows I will continue to watch them..

20. cathy kessel says:

RIP u be greatly missed

21. Ian Ferguson says:

What a great life; let’s celebrate him as he would have wanted, remembering his humor, his talent and his zest for life. I’ll never forget him being embracing Jayne Mansfield at the Golden Globes, and quipping “Who wants to be tall?”. He was the real deal and will be remembered always as on of the greatest of the greats

22. Angie says:

A true Icon has been in our midst, you will definitely be missed Mickey. I’d say Mr. Rooney but you were the kind of man who liked to clown around with everyone & what a GREAT actor. May you Rest In Peace. At least we will be able to watch & re-watch all the wonderful movies you were in.

23. Mark Watson says:

Mickey was a truly iconic actor and entertainer whose resume spans 80-plus years.

24. Kathie says:

It is a great part of his legacy to read all the wonderful comments so many have shared regarding Mr Rooney’s career. I feel another part of my childhood has now passed with him. Rest in peace and God bless you, Mickey. You were one of the best ever!