Raising Hope Series Finale Recap: The Chance Family Says Goodbye -- and 'I Do'

Raising Hope Series FinaleFox’s Raising Hope wrapped up its fourth and final season Friday night with a manhunt, a wedding and a surprising number of near-death experiences.

RELATED | Raising Hope Cancelled, to End Its Run in April

The first part of the finale felt like a fairly standard episode of Hope, with Burt realizing his dream of becoming an amateur bounty hunter, while Jimmy and Sabrina discovered that having a maid isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. (Bonus points for casting Downton Abbey‘s Lesley Nicol as the maid, and for Maw Maw’s off-kilter interpretation of Downton‘s Dowager Countess.)

In the second half of the hour, Virginia’s estranged father Arnold returned with big news: He was engaged and willing to pay for Hope’s college education if Virginia agreed to plan the wedding for him. The catch? She only had three days to make it all happen.

Virginia revealed she’d been planning her own dream wedding since she was a little girl, so she already had an entire book of ideas — which was pretty convenient, because the wedding actually ended up being for her and Burt. Everything was perfect, from Virginia’s Princess Diana wedding dress (replica) to a surprise appearance by none other than Kenny Loggins.

I’ll admit, I got a little choked up during Burt and Virginia’s first dance when Loggins played “Danny’s Song,” the same tune Virginia used to get Hope to sleep when the show began. Jimmy’s final voiceover, about how it doesn’t matter when you decide to start being a parent, was also a nice way to close the series.

What did you think of Hope‘s series finale? Cast your vote below, browse pics from the final hour, then drop a comment with your review.

_

_

1. TV Gord says:

You’re not the only one, Andy. Danny’s Song always gets me…right here (thumps heart). It did on the hilarious first episode, and it did tonight. I thought the series finale was perfect. You summed it up wonderfully!

2. Doug says:

So long Chances, we lost you too soon.

The show was so under-appreciated, with its quirky humor and lots of heart. I’m glad they got a chance to wrap things up a little bit, and we’re left with happy memories and no forced attempts to shock.

• Chris G. says:

I think the show lost its charm long ago, it is called Raising Hope for a reason but this season it was all crazy stuff, I rarely see Hope, what was the point of it?

I think it ended at the right time and I am glad cause now I can say I watched a good show that ran its course, rather than what happened with that other show (HIMYM) which ended badly cause of money.

This show is extremely good up till the last season where it lost it charm by adding crazy “non-raising Hope” moments, but overall it was good.

The finale needed season 1 finale moments, more characters to really give it a closing and more happiness, otherwise I guess it was good.

Had they used the song Home and brought back a lot of people, it would’ve been perfect.

• sam says:

Agreed. I loved the first three seasons, but this season was really starting to fall flat (did Hope ever have speaking lines? She’s four!) I’m sad that it’s over, but it’s better than dragging it out for a long, painful death (I didn’t look forward to watching some of the episodes this season). I wish they had ended it with more closure, but it’s still better than the way they ended My Name is Earl. I was really waiting for Sabrina to say she was pregnant or Frank to end up with someone. It was cute, and I did tear up, but Kenny Loggins has such a great voice that I couldn’t help it. I wish the best of luck to all the actors involved, some were very talented.

• TV Gord says:

The show was never really about Hope. If anything, it was about the family raising each other. I thought this season’s episodes were as funny and as charming as ever.

3. alistaircrane says:

I wish it had at least made it to 100 episodes!

4. David4 says:

It was a nice ending being it wasn’t planned. I would have liked a final season, even if just 13 episodes being that Mindy Project does worse and got another season.

But the final clip voiceover was awesome, but showed the problem with this season, not enough family moments, too spli. But nice way to end the crazy show.

5. Joel says:

Wrapped up the series while keeping all of the characters integrity. So much better than HIMYM

6. S says:

People please stop complaining about HIMYM. The show is over and it was great

• David4 says:

I’m sick of the bitching too. I hate the LOST finale, I moved on, it’s a TV show. The last episode doesn’t take away from the good times the show has.

• Francine says:

I don’t watch How I Met Your Mother but I do sympathize with fans. It’s hard when a show you watch for so long ends in a way that disappoints you so much. And honestly, it hasn’t even been a week since the finale aired. I’m not surprised to still see comments about it.

• alistaircrane says:

Yes it does. The Lost finale completely ruined the show for me. I hate that I wasted six years of my life on it. Thankfully, I was suspicious enough of the producers that I never bought the DVDs. At least I didn’t waste any money on that $#^+.

• MissMel says:

Lost ended 4 years ago. How I Met Your Mother ended less than a week ago. I think you can let people have a few more days to be unhappy with it before you get all sanctimonious on them.

• David4 says:

Then go be unhappy in a HIMYM topic.

It’s ironic, the fans are bitching and moaning and are unhappy that HIMYM ended on a sad… unhappy note. Go figure.

• Chris G. says:

Oh but it does, one little part and most important the ending, can do lots of damage, imagine your life and you fight for X person, for X’s love, I am sure that if you really want that, you would feel sad that after lots of good moments, just by fate, you lost that.

It’s the same with TV, you are investing your time, time is the most valuable thing in the world, yes it is a TV show, many would argue that, it’s just that, TV, nothing else but it is time too.

So the bitching won’t stop, the HIMYM tea, decided to back stab everyone, they deserve the bitching and more.

One important moment can take away from 9 good/bad moments when it’s important.

Still, this is a Raising Hope article and I have to say I am glad it ended on a way better note than that other show.

• Amanda says:

Sometimes the last episode does take away from the show. I’m fine with the way HIMYM ended. However, I wish I hadn’t watched the Dexter finale. Soured my taste on the whole show! As for Raising Hope, it was a good ending for not knowing whether you’d be cancelled or not. I loved the last season. The third season was off some for me, but it felt back on track this year.

7. Francine says:

I wasn’t crazy about this season but I will still really miss this show and all its heart. It ended nicely though and will leave me with happy memories.

8. Elle says:

I suppose if it had to end, this wasn’t a bad way to go out. I’m gonna miss the Chances.

9. michelle says:

Such an underrated show. Hate that tonight was the series finale. I’m gonna miss The Chances so much. I’ll admit, just as the episode showed the flashback of Virgina singing Dannys Song to Hope, my eyes started watering. That damn song always gets me!

10. GuessWhat says:

See — this is how you end a sitcom. On a HAPPY note. With weddings and people living. Not divorces and people dying. Hear me, HIMYM?

• nica says:

I could not agree more. It’s a sitcom! There is a contract with the audience when it comes to a sitcom ( a romantic comedy sitcom, no less). I stopped watching HIMYM years ago, but even I was pissed with the ending.

• TV Gord says:

What is this “contract” people keep talking about? I never signed anything.

The show wasn’t ours. It was the creators’. They ended it the way they wanted to, and sure, it’s okay to be unhappy with the way it ended, but in the end, it was a slice of life. Life isn’t always happy.

I liked the way it ended, because the series always had a tinge of melancholy around it. The sad, poignant ending wasn’t unexpected for me, and it seemed consistent with the tone of the series over the years. It had a sad aspect to it, but what I take away from it is that–though all of the ups and downs of life–these friends always had each other, and they do well into the future.

11. Fan says:

It was fascinating to me how the show focused much more on Jimmy the first season, and then switched to Virginia and Bert when the audience found them to be much more entertaining than their son.

12. frank says:

I only watched occasionally after Season 1… did Virginia ever find out that her mother was still alive and living not far away?

13. J. Norman says:

Raising Hope peaked in season 2 to about 1/2 way through season 3.
    After that, it has been running on fumes. Occasionally an episode would rise up to be pretty good, but for the most part the show has been running on fumes for over a season.

It has simply run its course.

The show jumped the shark when Jimmy and Sabrina got together. They were cute together on some level, but it was hard to believe that someone with Sabrina’s background would settle for someone like Jimmy. I think she would be friends with Burt and Virginia however.

14. greysfan says:

Was pretty satisfied with the finale. Another great comedy leaves us. It was a great ending too and THIS How I Met Your Mother writers is how you end a series.

15. Lorinda says:

I really enjoyed this show! It was fun & playful. Some of my favorite moments were their “shout outs” to other shows. Sooo appreciated the Double Dowton Abbey wink wink.

16. geoff says:

would have been nice if it showed hope in the future so we know how it all turns out.

17. phamster says:

I am going to miss the chances. Burt and Virginia were a great a couple. I had no problem that the series started to focus more on them than Jimmy, Sabrina and Hope, although Hope is as cute as a button!