How I Met Your Mother Alternate Finale Ending Will Be Included in Complete Series DVD Set

HIMYM Alternate EndingHow I Met Your Mother‘s series finale featured one of the most polarizing conclusions in sitcom history, but it looks like disgruntled fans might get a second chance at happiness, as an alternate ending will be included in the complete series’ DVD release.

RELATED | HIMYM: 13 Questions We Still Have About Ted’s Future, Robin’s Other Job, Bob Saget and More

The alternate ending, our sister site Deadline reports, is simply edited differently than the version that made it to air and does not contain any additional footage. That said, an insider describes version 2.0 as a “happy ending.”

HIMYM‘s co-creator Carter Bays confirmed the inclusion of the alternate ending on Friday, tweeting:

If you didn’t like the finale, I guess that happens. We tried something and it didn’t connect with you. I hope we’re still friends. So anyway, here’s a bit of news: 16 days ago today we were in the HIMYM edit room, trying to decide between two very different endings. We only shot one script, but through edit room magic we had two possible outcomes for the series. We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version too. We’re going to include that version on the Complete Series DVD as an alternate finale to How I Met Your Mother.

Bays also tweeted a first look at the complete series’ packaging:

Though it’s not yet known exactly how the alternate ending will be edited, one fan-altered ending — which removed the mention of Tracy’s death, as well as Ted and Robin’s reunion — was met with much approval when it went viral earlier this week.

How do you think HIMYM should have ended? Browse our gallery of the finale’s biggest moments below, then drop a comment with your dream ending.

1. Teag says:

What about the season 9 DVD for us ones who have seasons 1-8 already?

• Andy Swift says:

That was unclear in the original reporting. It’s possible it will be included in both.

• DarkDefender says:

Marketing ploy to get everyone to buy the complete series. Not taking the bait.

• Chris G. says:

I agree with you. This show was good for a few seasons, there wasn’t any need to make it last for 9 seasons, it should’ve ended long ago.

Now they’re trying to do a marketing ploy to get everyone to buy the DVDs/BRs by saying there’s a new ending.

If you love GOOD tv comedies, just wait for someone to upload it to youtube and watch the “other ending”, don’t fall for this,

So shocked they (the creators and writers) did this, how low can one go for money.

• Em says:

I second that. At least they should remain true to their writing and editing, if not viewers.

• marissa says:

I won’t buy the DVD Just have to wait for the alternative ending to show up on some website.

• Zed says:

Not that they would leave it off the Season 9 DVD, but it would be one final “screw you” to long time fans such as myself who bought each season as it came out and who felt betrayed by the finale.

• liz says:

they would really reverse any sort of damage control they gained from the alternate finale if they failed to include it on the dvd

• Ed says:

how about we start a kickstarter campaign to re-do the finale?

• Ewok says:

Carter Bays tweeted that it will be on the Season 9 DVD as well.

2. GingerTaylah says:

This is really sad. I mean, the fact that it was SO BAD they have to backtrack on the DVD. I am very sorry for both Carter and Craig, I am sure they did not expect the s***storm, but they kinda deserve it, too… cause it was awful.

• jenna says:

agree, I feel bad that the backlash was SO strong that they needed to include an alternate (probably so people would actually buy the dvd) but in my opinion key scenes were missing to make their finale work so i’m really not surprised they got such a negative response

• Mandy says:

Perfect way to say it. “Key scenes were missing”. It was an outright terrible idea, they just went about it the wrong way. They missed scenes tht would have built to that ending. Maybe they were rushed for time, maybe they were too in their own heads about it. I don’t know. But they asked people to read between the lines too much and to draw some conclusions that they didn’t give enough evidence for. It was a reach or a mistake. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was a reach.

• GingerTaylah says:

Agreed. I wouldn’t have disagreed with this outcome as much if they had, for example, done it through the whole of the season. Like, if we’d actually seen the wedding, the lead up to the divorce, Tracy sick, that Ted genuinely loved her (cause this ending made it look like she was always second best), his grieving process, and then how he went back to Robin. I never liked Ted/Robin, but *at least* I would’ve found it believable like that. They spent WAY too much time on the wedding and on dumb episodes with irrelevant flashbacks, then tried to cram 15 years into the finale, then be like “this was about Robin all along!” and now they say the audience did not “connect” with the ending? People did not connect cause it was horribly executed, period.

• baffled says:

OMG! How is it a person could watch this entire series and NOT know it was ALWAYS about Robin?

• JB Smooove says:

yes, all the way up to that gat damned locket and robin boo-hooing and saying that she should’ve been marrying teddy westside the whole time.

• See, I watched the whole series, and to me up until the last 5 minutes, the whole series was about how Robin was absolutely wrong for Ted, how he thought she was the only one for him (despite 7 seasons (3-9) of evidence to the contrary) and how it was only when he finally accepted that she wasn’t the one for him, that he was able to move on.

I know they shot that ending in season 2, but that’s not the story they wound up telling.

Which is why the ending was crap.

• matt says:

The above two comments are SPOT ON. While I personally also don’t care for any of the plot choices themselves (Barney/Robin divorce, Tracy dying, Ted ending up with Robin) I could have gotten past those objections had they presented their desired series ending in an organic way. They not only rushed it, they FORCED it and that’s the main problem here. It actually makes us hard to believe that the same brilliant writers who brought us all the seasons and episodes that came before it could actually have been so BLIND and STUPID to think this finale would work the way they presented it!

• michelle says:

key scenes missing is right, over the course of just a few episodes tracy became almost universally beloved by fans but somehow even blah-blah was given a better goodbye!

• davej13 says:

As far as the ending goes, I was fine with the ending with Ted telling his kids how Mom died and us looking at Ted with his salt and pepper hair. The whole dating Robin thing made the entire series one big bait and switch. We could have called the show “How I Met Your Stepmother” and ended it after episode 1. Thar’s how bad an ending it was. Who were these people in the editing room who thought this was a good idea????

For me, the past few seasons have been filler like in the last year of “Friends” when you knew Ross and Rachel were going to end up together, but you had to fill air time until the finale. Friends went out with a wimper.

HIMYM had so much good stuff introduced in the final season. They actually could have taken the entire finale episode and made that into at least 12 episodes like one for each year or two. That probably upset me the most because I spend so much time over the past few seasons Fast Forwarding trough episodes in 8 minutes. Thank God for my DVR.

• Amanda says:

People wanted a tv ending. They didn’t get it. They got a more realistic ending. It shows us that while we are on one path, other things are happening that eventually put us on other paths. Some of us are meant to share different parts of our lives with different people.

• liz says:

I’m tired of the realistic card. This was was just as much of a fairytale ending as if tracy was alive, Ted ends up with ‘the one that got away,’

• Ben says:

I’m tired of everyone taking to the internet to moan about everything they don’t like. I tend to wish they would get over themselves. But hey, I guess that’s freedom of speech.

• jodi says:

hahaha liz I liked the ending but I completely agree! It was a different ending than people were expecting but a fairytale ending nonetheless

• Brooke says:

Why does a show that randomly threw Billy Zabka into the wedding party suddenly strive to be realistic? Isn’t it a kind of unrealistic that after being rejected by Robin so much that she FINALLY gave into him after 20 years?

• matt says:

haha the ‘realism’ I got from this ending was that people don’t change. In the real world an on again- off again relationship isn’t seen as romantic, Ted and robin’s relationship would be considered toxic,

• Brooke says:

Exactly. People were already sick of Ted and Robin every time the show brought up the issue. It wasn’t romantic. It was everyone wanting to smack them. In the words of a certain Mean Girl, “Stop trying to make Ted and Robin happen!”

• Ally says:

I agree. Robin in reality is a selfish character and even if she had married Ted all the years back instead of Barney, it would still bite the dust in couple of years. Not to mention, Barney’s character development got thrown away in seconds up until the birth of his daughter. So, in reality it would still not work. I could still accept that Ted started dating Robin all the years after the mother’s death and be okay with it but the fact remains the finale was filled with bad creative decisions. They took 9 years to build this certain concept of the mother, like she is this perfect soul-mate for Ted and then took that all away in last minutes when the kids figured out that the story is not about their mother but about how much Ted loves Robin. I mean for the kids, the mother has been gone for 6 years but for the viewers mere seconds. The fact that Christin Milloti played the mother to perfection didn’t help either. The season 9 in my decision was a bad overstretched idea except for the parts with the mother. The things they crammed in the finale, they should have just showed it all through out the season bit by bit, at least people wouldn’t be so angry then. And those people saying its realistic ending, its not. In reality, what are the chances that your long lost love is still waiting for you somewhere and hasn’t moved on and will like the idea of you showing up at their footstep with the blue French Horn.

• tom says:

That’s your opinion. Who are you to judge what is romantic. On again / Off again relationships can also lead to 20 years of marriage. I liked the ending.

• Bill says:

I fell in love with my wife when I was 14 we just got married last week 17 yrs later we each were arrived to other ppl in between that far from toxic

• MissM says:

What I’ve noticed is that people who hated the ending are talking about why they didn’t like it, while many of those who liked it feel the need to post about the people who didn’t. How about you put up a post about all the things you liked about the finale, and not try to tell me why I didn’t?

• jodi says:

MissM I completely agree, I liked the ending mostly because its what I expected to happen so I was already prepared to see it played out on screen. However as I mentioned upthread I disagree with others who call this a realistic ending, its a typical romcom type ending

• Daryl says:

I have no problem with a realistic ending vs a “happy ending.” But that realistic ending has to be earned. It has to make sense for the characters as we last knee them to be. The 8 year old ending didn’t do any of that. After 9 seasons of reasons how and why Ted and Robin don’t work as a couple, and after a season of seeing how Tracy was perfect for Ted and worth the wait and heartache he endured, we got, “oh, and your mom got sick.” “Yeah. And she’s been gone for six years, Dad. You clearly still have a thing for Aunt Robin. Go get ‘er, Tiger.” Bays and Thomas knew this was the ending they wanted for 8 years, and they opted not to write to it for the entire series, instead allowing the story to take the characters further away from that ending with each passing season.
          As for the alternate ending, hopefully it’s similar to the fan edit that’s become so popular. Who knows…maybe it IS the “fan edit,” leaked to get a feel for reaction in the wake of the backlash, but put forth as done by a fan. And, for the people who bought each season as they were released, unfortunately, there’s a precedent for including material like that as an exclusive to the full series package. Off the top of my head, I recall that the cheese-tastic “A Very Brady Christmas” was available only in the full series set of “The Brady Bunch.” So, I wouldn’t be surprised if the stand-alone season 9 set doesn’t include the alternate ending. Unless there’s enough backlash again. At this point, they probably want to recapture as much goodwill as they can get in order to salvage “Hkw I Met Your Dad.”

• Ashley says:

Really, what’s more realistic: two people getting married and having a life together full of ups and downs, or having a relatively young woman die of a mysterious illness so her husband could reunite with someone he obsessed over for about 9 years (with a conveniently-found blue french horn in hand!)? OK, if they had to kill off Tracy, I’m not happy about it but I’ll accept it; but the whole Robin-Ted reunion was a huge a**-pull!

• partisan says:

If I wanted reality I’d turn off the TV.

• jean says:

They are including an alternate ending to appease you thumb-sucking cry-babies who can’t understand that the way a story ends is entirely up to it’s creator; AND who wouldn’t recognize a happy ending if it slapped you in the face. True story.

• Daryl says:

I fully comprehend that the ending is upto the creators. This is one they chose 8 years ago, but chose not to lead to during the intervening years. It’s not necessarily the content of those last few minutes that I object to (although I do…more on that in a moment), but that they didn’t earn that ending. I know a happy ending when I see one. I’m not sure that our lead character and his kids glibly dismissing his alleged true love’s death so he can return to someone he’s gone to great lengths to tell those kids how he learned isn’t compatible with him in a couple – a woman who he’s demonstrated to them has a history of only wanting men she can’t have, and when she can/does have them, she drives them away – qualifies as a happy ending.

• jean says:

It wasn’t glib. For us it had been a few minutes – for them it had been six years – they had already done their grieving. To me it was very clear that loved her deeply and completely. He lost his wife but he was still living and after that much time had passed it is perfectly normal to move on. I agree they should have spent a lot more time on flash forwards of their relationship and less on the stupid wedding, but I always figured we wouldn’t see much of that. Logically, the story would end as the title tells us, when they MET. The delivery of the final story could have been better, but the ending for me was awesome.

• pam says:

don’t see why namecalling is necessary…

• Brooke says:

It’s not. What’s funny is that the angry fans haven’t called the showrunners rude names. We’ve just expressed, using our words, exactly why we didn’t like the ending.

• anna says:

You know what’s really sad? The entitlement of fans like you who throw fits when you don’t get your way.

• murley says:

What I see here are a lot of people clearly articulating their disappointed in both the ending of the story and the way it was executed. That is a perfectly legitimate way to respond to something. Your response however is very immature.

• JB Smooove says:

they must have fallen asleep when the final season of the office aired. last 6 episodes made up for the crazy season 8 and most of 9. plus the ending was done very well and classy. I don’t want to watch another series from these guys again for fear of being D’d in the A again.

3. Mel says:

You know you F’d up when you have to announce a DVD alternate ending 4 days after the finale.

• Lisa dg says:

Totally. Also I think it’s not just the ending that went over terribly, it was the entire 2 episodes. So unless they give us a new 45 minutes… it’s not really worth it.

• Annie says:

Exactly. Basically, what they’re saying here is not only do they want us to WILLINGLY fall for it again, but they want us to pay for the privilege. Not. Gonna. Happen.

• Rich in NJ says:

Totally true. The ending I wanted was the six of them on Lily & Marshall’s porch, Tracy having passed “the porch test.” But the bottom line is simpler: in a good TV series, characters grow and evolve. Shooting an ending 8 years ago denies the reality that in a great long-running series, the characters often end up being what the writers never envisioned.

4. Seth says:

FFS, I hope they keep their integrity and it’s just the same ending but told in a different way. Don’t give in to the loud minority, a writer should be able to tell the story THEY want to tell and not be dictated by a small percentage of the viewers (I’m talking all viewers not just those complaining in comment sections.)

The actual ending was the ending the show needed, the ending that fit with the characters, and that is the “canon” ending.

• Lynn says:

I think it’s a majority. Based on multiple polls, 60% didn’t like it versus the 30% who did.

• sasha says:

even 1 million about alsmot 13M for the finale is the MINORITY and everybody waste their time voting on every site they can, and comment!

• GingerTaylah says:

“Loud minority”… eh, I think you should go take a look on CBS’s official pages for the show. This is not a “loud minority” case. The loud minority are those who enjoyed it. Sorry.

• jenna says:

agree, their facebook page has been extremely negative

• KSM says:

Why would people that liked it comment on the fb page?

• matt says:

why wouldn’t they? The page has links for photos, cast interviews etc. The fact that their fb page (liked by almost double the number that watched the finale) has an overwhelmingly negative response represents a more even sample size and people that liked the finale ARE commenting, the difference is that they have to justify WHY they liked it in the comments

• r says:

hahaha matt I completely agree that they have to justify that they liked the finale, I was scrolling through the page the other day and found at least 7 different commenters writing along the lines ‘all of my friends hated the finale but I loved it!’ and go on to say what they liked. If people are even having to justify their responses to their own friend groups, they likely have a minority opinion

• Joel says:

Agreed. Looking back the ending fitted the show so much so that I kick myself that I was vocally opposed to people who predicted it. From what I’ve seen, that with a little bit of distance people have been coming to accept the way the story ended, but are still unhappy with the pacing, the execution. If that’s something they can fix with the alternate ending then that could make up for a lot of finale grief, but without new scenes I’m not sure how they’d achieve that.

• Ben says:

We simply live in an instant world, where people can’t bear to think or reflect before reacting. Dare I say it, can you imagine what the internet would have done with the Wonder Years finale if it aired in today’s internet age?

• matt says:

This isn’t a freakin philosophy discussion. It’s TV entertainment. There shouldn’t be any need to reflect on anything. If they had a story ending they wanted to convey, they should have done a better job of it so the audience could “get it” right from the first viewing. Their arrogance blinded them and they failed. It is what it is. A blown opportunity for a great ending to a great series.

• Ben says:

That’s what you say it is. It’s not what I say it is. There is subjectivity in endings – so don’t kid yourself that it is an objective failure. In the Wonder Years, the show would have made you expect Kevin and Winnie to end up together. And then they didn’t. There is no manual that says ‘viewers need to get it from the first viewing’. The idea that you there is some kind of TV watching code that says you must build up to your finale across seasons is complete bollocks. But in any event – this ending is the ending that the audience COULD get right from the first viewing.

• Quang says:

Loud minority?! Let’s not kid ourselves. 36% of viewers in the tvline poll gave it an F, while a whopping 54% of viewers in the spoilertv poll ranked it as “awful” (the lowest possible score.)

• canadian ninja says:

Please grasp the concept that the loudness is expressed by going online and voting in polls. Also that the majority of viewers – whether they liked, disliked or had a more complex opinion – don’t bother doing that.

• Quang says:

I get it, you are basing the whole “silent majority” excuse on absolutely nothing. Also, please grasp the concept of sampling.

• Rich in NJ says:

Compare it to the reaction to other finales. Did similar percentages or numbers trash The Office finale? Nope. Of course there’s sampling bias in terms of who decides to vote in an online poll. But compared to other sitcom finales, this had seriously greater levels of negative reaction.

• jean says:

I’m with you Seth. Spot on.

• Daryl says:

Sure, they can tell the ending they want to. But I’d expect it to make sense for the characters as we last knew them to be. I’ve said it many times…they knew this was their desired ending for 8 years, since they filmed the kids’ portion, but did nothing to steer the story towards that ending. During that time, the story and character development took us further and further from that ending. Not once, even in the 35-ish minutes leading up to that ending, did they steer the characters back to that path. Instead, we were shown multiple times how Ted and Robin just don’t work as a couple despite their best efforts. And we were shown that they don’t work from Ted’s perspective in a story that we’re now told was about convincing the kids it was a good idea for him to date Robin yet again. So, let’s think about that…in a story intended to paint Robin in the best possible light and as someone he’d like to get his kids’ blessing to date, he repeatedly tells the kids how the two of them don’t work as a couple and establishes a pattern of Robin’s behavior and choices leading to the end of all of her relationships (including her attempts at a relationship with Ted), a pattern of behavior that includes only being interested in men that she can’t have. So, if we consider Bays and Thomas to be “Ted,” and the viewers to be “Penny and Luke,” “Ted” did a lousy job of convincing us to give our blessing.

• Meredith says:

The writers (show runners) did get to tell the story they wanted, and they were obviously taken aback by the level to which people hated it and profoundly disagreed that it was “the ending the show needed.” They must have felt as though they missed the mark or else they wouldn’t be backpedaling now, which is their choice every bit as much as the finale ending was. Nobody’s making them do anything, up to and including reediting their terrible ending.

5. Joel says:

Hopefully it’s just a different journey to the same conclusion, and something they’d always planned to include. I hated the finale (on first watch at least – it’s grown on me) but the only thing worse than the way it ended would be to retrospectively go back and try to change canon just because it didn’t get the reaction the Carter and Craig were hoping for.

• sasha says:

Same here!

• Cas says:

I loved the ending so I don’t even know if I will watch the alternate ending. I wouldn’t mind a change in events but I liked that Ted and Robin ended up together. Barney and Robin were awful. I loved the mother too but I always secretly liked Robin more.

• j says:

if they aren’t adding additional scenes I don’t see how different it could be

• Joel says:

That’s why I’m not sure it’s a great idea. Changing the ending without adding things can only mean removing things, and as much as I wasn’t a fan of Ted and Robin ending up together on first watch, it’s happened now, and exists within the HIMYM world, so removing it (if that’s their plan) I think would be an even bigger mistake.

• Joni says:

Maybe they’ll just use that wonderful fan’s version – the one that got taken down. Maybe the one from the editing room is exactly or really close to what she came up with. Now that version had me in tears while the broadcast version just left me ticked off.

• Daryl says:

Here’s the thing:
          Let’s assume that the alternate ending is essentially the “fan edit.” Stopping at the train station scene doesn’t preclude Tracy’s death or the ill-advised Ted/Robin 4.0 (at least), nor the kids’ enthusiastic shuffling Ted off to another disastrous relationship with Robin. But, it leaves the show on a narratively consistent and emotionally satisfying note.

Unless they do a reunion show at some point and retcon Tracy back to life, and have that whole last few minutes were a nightmare of Ted’s. (“I had this horrible dream that I lost you and…*shudder* went back to Robin.”)

• Rich in NJ says:

I think you can edit Ted’s speech about loving Tracy, remove the reference to her being sick, and overlay the speech onto the scenes of Ted and Tracy being together. End on him saying that he would love her all the rest of his days.

6. Regina says:

This seems like a ploy just to get people to buy the complete series set. Plus an alternate ending doesn’t make up for the awfulness of season 9. The real ending might have been better received if they didn’t spend 22 episodes on the painfully boring details of a mostly uneventful weekend and then rush through the next 15 years in 30 minutes…

7. Katy says:

Unless its edited so that the last few minutes didn’t happen I don’t care. For me, 9.22 was the end.

8. Lynn says:

And I’m raging again. They ruined every single character for their shock, stupid ending. The only way I can accept this finale is to believe Barney and Robin ended up in a Perry Cox/Jordan Sullivan-like relationship. And the cast doesn’t seem to like how it ended either.

• sasha says:

Wrong! I saw a lot of videos/itw from the cast and they said they loved the finale. And the finale made them cry. They loved the full circle…

• Brooke says:

When Katherine Heigl said she didn’t like her storylines, people chewed her a new asshole for “biting the hand that fed her.” Do you REALLY think the cast is going to do a Farewell Press Tour and say NEGATIVE things?

• j says:

likewise I don’t think the cast would ever let on that they didn’t like the finale, C&C gave them a job for 9 years and gave their careers a good boost

• Why can't says:

Agreed. I saw an interview were NPH and CS were playing up the fact that there characters loved each other. Maybe my little Swarkles heart is reading more into it then it actually was, but I got the sense they wished their characters would have gotten a happy ending.

• Becks says:

Welcome to hollywood PR. Of course they are going to say that… its their job to sell the show. They aren’t going to bite the hand that feeds them.

9. They had to do something. People are upset and if they’re upset they won’t be buying the DVD, and they won’t watch How I Met Your Father.

• Alice says:

I don’t think saying “We stand by our ending” is going to get anyone unhappy with the ending of HIMYM to watch How I Met Your Father.
      This is probably an attempt to try and prop up DVD sales, since a lot of people claimed that they no only didn’t like the ending- but that it ruined the series for them- which is not something people who are going to spend $150 on a box set say.

10. Amz A says:

I noticed something weird the other day.. I was just re-watching some older eps and at the end of S01E09, as ted meets the stripper and they do the whole name thing she’s like “I’m actually Tracy” and then ted’s like to the kids “that’s how I met your mother!” and the kids go “WHATT?”

So the name was given from the beginning!

11. Amanda says:

People still buy dvds?

12. david says:

lol they should make it up to us by having the gang take over the how i met your dad show and pretend this last season didnt happen

13. drewm987 says:

I bought every single season on iTunes – I have to pay more now for a different ending? perhaps a better one? :(

14. Georgia D says:

Riiiight! So basically they realize how bad they f***** up but still want people to buy the DVD so here! We’ll throw an alternate ending so you’ll be temped to buy it…. *rolls eyes*
    Shoulda thought about DVD sales before that ultimate f*** you to the fans of a finale!

• John NYC says:

There’s some threat tot he DVD’s but the larger problem may be their new project. The one with the name that reminds EVERYONE of this finale?

There’s where major damage control is being called in.

15. Kat says:

TPTB should just go full-on awful and the alternate ending should be edited to add the kids singing the Bangity-Bang song while Ted dials Robin.

16. Jess says:

Too little, too late Bays and Thomas. Putting the alternate ending (I’m guessing the same, or similar, to the fan-created ending floating around online right now) isn’t going to magically shoot up your DVD sales that are already lost. You screwed up. Unless the plan is to make the alternate ending the permanent ending on reruns, then it’s just not going to work. It may raise sales a smidge but they pretty much lost a good chunk of sales the moment the finale aired. Sure, there may be people who will still buy the DVD but I doubt it’ll be even close to what they usually are.

• John NYC says:

Agreed: Tracy will still be six years dead, Ted once again living in his past, Barney a helicopter parent and Robin alone with her dogs….

Different shooting angles of the same scenes won’t change that.

17. John NYC says:

His words are “two very different endings”…..

At this point? I just don’t know.

• Nina says:

Man, they screwed up. Most people who like the finale always end up arguing its realistic, Robin and Barney divorcing, realistic, I agree. Barney immediately going back to his old way, not realistic. No one takes a 180 degree turn so easily and not after so much of self-realization. Robin whining about how she married the wrong guy over and over again, just plain annoying. Marriage needs effort to work form both sides. If Barney didn’t try hard enough to make it work neither did Robin. Ted going back to Robin and Robin accepting him after all the years without the blink of an eye, not so much. In reality after all the years, Ted and Robin both should be very different people with years of history in between, what are the chances they are still compatible. That is still fairy tale ending except that The prince ends up with the neighbor kings daughter instead of the little mermaid who dies. And I guess “How I met your Father” is officially screwed up. I wished they had ended the show 3 years back with Ted going back to Robin without introducing someone like Christin Milloti who was a perfection as the mother, It would have saved the amount of time I wasted on this sitcom and It wouldn’t feel so bad.

• Ben says:

I’d assume by ‘very different’ – he means the mother doesn’t die and Ted does not end up with Robin. I doubt he means a change to the Robin/Barney situation – which ironically seems to me to be what people are most upset about.

18. Sarah says:

I think they should include a episode with the alternate ending like a bonus episode….you I don’t ruin the magic for myself by stopping after Ted and Tracey’s wedding, then jumping to the new ending. I mean, you broke millions of hearts with your self-indulgent soap-opera ending, at least make this efficient.

19. Jack says:

The problem I had with the finale was the regression of character development in regards to Barney and Robin’s characters. Barney was the player he was in season one, and Robin was the ‘work comes first, friends, family and loved ones come second’ prototype that effectively ended the Robin/Ted relationship in the first place. Their divorce [Barney/Robin] was more of a plot device to make their ending work, and not even the lines “it wasn’t a failed marriage, it was a successful one that only lasted three years” didn’t make the blow any less worse than it was. So while editing the ending to take out the Ted/Robin reunion, the death of Tracy, and stuff like that may be more suited to the fans, I honestly don’t think they can salvage the finale for me with the Robin/Barney breakup which then led to a full finale of Barney’s “playbook”, number 31, and some meaningless child having more of an impact on his character than a relationship that developed over the course of nine seasons.

• Shannon says:

THIS!! I think what I have been most upset about with the finale is how they spent 20 episodes (and many more before than in prior seasons) telling us how Barney and Robin were perfect together, how Robin made Barney a better man, and then 15 minutes into the finale not only are they divorced but Barney regressed right back to the womanizing jerk he was. He became such a better man by being with Robin and for them to just take away like 4 seasons of him growing and evolving as a man made me more mad than the horrible fact that Robin ended up with Ted in the end. I loved the scene with NPH and his daughter but that wasn’t enoughtto salvage how they ruined Barney’s character before that.

• julie says:

this might just be me but I saw barney’s regression as his own coping mechanism with the break up kind of a ‘if it didn’t work with this one girl who I love and have so much history with, whats the point in even trying’ unfortunately we never got that heartfelt moment and as mentioned upthread the reason for the divorce was so weak that the reasons for his regression weren’t expressed. Again, would work in theory but poor execution C&C

• A says:

I agree — the Barney regression didn’t bother me much, I felt that in essence he was saying, “my heart is broken beyond repair and I don’t know any other way to be.” Robin dealt with it by pulling away from the gang and Barney dealt with it by reverting to his player ways.

• Brooke says:

Exactly. Which is why this ending may have worked earlier on, but after NINE YEARS it was really, really poor storytelling.

• Jenna says:

Totally agree. I was terribly upset by their divorce. The writers made us believe in Barney and Robin, only to destroy them in such an off-handed manner. I don’t think they can salvage the finale for me; it would almost have to be completely rewritten.

20. Kendall says:

The ending we saw was a happy ending, just one that most weren’t willing to accept.

Personally, I think all the painful moments that lead up to it make the ending all the more worthwhile. If you stick to some extension of End of the Aisle with a Ted/Tracy meeting tacked onto it and an implication that they all lived happily ever after, you’re not telling much of a story.

• Brooke says:

How was it happy?
      – The delightful Mother died.
      – Barney, who stopped feeling lost, suddenly became a lost cad again.
      – Robin lost the guy who promised her he would always be truthful and became a lonely person who pushed her friends away.
      – Marshall spent time doing corporate law and hating his job again.
      – No mention of Lily doing anything except producing more babies.
      – Robin finally threw a bone to a guy who she rejected time and again.

It’s like HIMYM’s writers decided they wanted their own Red Wedding.

• Kendall says:

Everybody got what they wanted in the end after suffering setbacks of varying degrees of sadness. Like I already wrote, the painful things you pointed out make their ultimate happiness more worthwhile. The only one that is uncertain in that regard is Lily, but maybe Robin was also hanging out with everybody in the gang more if she’d been hanging out so much with Ted.

• liz says:

Lily was the biggest disappointment. Why is she neither pursuing art or teaching?!? Her 3rd pregnancy felt like a way to give her some sort of a story

21. ll0yd says:

but is anyone really, truly surprised by the ending? they’ve NEVER gone from point a to point b in a straight line. and… if you watch the episode where barney, ted and marshall get together to watch star wars every few years – barney is constantly hiding his left hand. so his and robin’s fate was already STRONGLY hinted at.

color me in the minority that liked the ending.

side note – kudos to the “kids” for keeping that secret for as long as they did.

• DarkDefender says:

I’m sure that non-disclosure contract was a doosey. Or maybe they didn’t believe it would ever air like they taped it. We may never know.

22. Ed says:

no matter what ending you put to it (even the viral fan edited version), the final episode will still be bad and poorly executed

23. The finale was just dissapointing. I really loved the show and the finale just ruined everything. I still don’t get how we can see the whole season preparing the wedding and in the last episode these characters get divorce in the first episodes! Seriously??

24. Asia says:

Let me get this straight. The writers completely screwed up the ending and in the process ruined the entire show. Now I’m suppose to pay to see it? Ha, I don’t think so, all trust is gone. Besides it wasn’t just the ending that was bad. The pacing was atrocious. Characters were regressed to their season 1 counterparts. An entire season was centered around one wedding. There were 3 seasons building up to that point only for the writers to trash it by divorcing them 15 minutes into the episode with no real explanation other than “We got divorced”. That is such unbelievably bad writing. What am I saying? The whole episode was full of bad writing. I’m still pissed that I even wasted my time watching this show. This whole episode just needs to be erased from existence.

• julie says:

the reasoning for their divorce was just so out of character, barney playing second to robin’s career? Seriously!? Since when did he become Ted! There are so many they could have done: robin still doubting barneys trust, barney being unable to live a typical life without the elaborate plays just give me SOMETHING that is believable to the characters

• GingerTaylah says:

25. Regina says:

Seriously I could see looking at the ending as being a cute story of a widowed father who is asking his children’s permission to date again after his wife had been gone 6 years if it wasn’t just SO poorly executed. Aside from this season being completely pointless, they built up the Robin/Barney romance since like season 3 and kept repeatedly killing Teds hope of being with Robin. If they knew all along they were heading to Ted and Robin ending up together, why on earth did they keep trying to convince us how much Robin and Barney belonged together? And then they had to completely destroy Barney’s character to free Robin up to be with Ted. If they wanted her to end up a bitter divorcee she could’ve married Kevin or Don or literally anyone else! And perhaps most frustrating was that Ted ending up with Robin completely invalidated what was easily the most ridiculous and stupid part of the whole season when Ted let Robin go and she freaking floated up into the sky! That was seriously awful.

• murley says:

I feel like they ruined Robin’s character even more than Barney’s. By the end of the finale I didn’t like her enough to be happy to see Ted end up with her.

26. Scam. If you want to see the better ending, you need to purchase an expensive DVD/Blu-Ray set.

27. Babybop says:

I’m still a little angry at them… but we’ll see. I almost want to feel bad for the backlash, but then I remember how horrible the finale was and I just get angry all over again.

28. Yeah.. right says:

Yeah. No. Never buying a single DVD of this thanks to the finale.

29. Ram510 says:

After the response they got from fans on the original ending they didn’t have other choice BUT to add an alternate ending. Still a great series and I already miss it

• Ben says:

They really did have a choice. Plenty of other shows have ended the way they intended, had a poor response from fans upon seeing the finale, and not added an alternate ending on the DVD.

30. mike mcguinness says:

my perfect ending, as i considered it in my own head, and as i would have written it, was 98% of the ending we got i loved it, wouldn’t change a thing, prior episodes may need tiny little tweaks to get it to be perfect and make full sense though.

31. Reed says:

As Robin would say –

[I] only need one finger to give [CB/CT] what I’m thinking.

32. A says:

I’ve been coming around to the ending because I choose to believe Ted loved Tracy more than he ever did or will love Robin, and that scenes confirming that didn’t make the final cut. And because the Ted barely keeping it together in Vesuvius probably grieved for years and the Ted of 2030 is maybe just now beginning to try love again. I believe his kids saw and knew how much he truly loved their mother, but want him to move on and be happy again. I can accept this ending — even though I much prefer the fan-edited version.

So now that I’m making peace with what I saw Monday night, I think it would be pointless to do an alternate ending, unless said alternate showed the scenes that would have explained how much more deeply Ted loved Tracy, and that Robin was a runner-up.

• matt says:

You could be right but if this was what they intended to convey they could have done it in more than the last 90 seconds or whatever of the series. Especially when they wasted an entire season on a pointless wedding!

• wingsstef says:

I did not hate the ending. Though I am curious about this alternate ending and curious if it better or not. Also curious on the “fan-edit”.

• wingsstef says:

I looked up the fan edit. Good ending, good editing, though I don’t agree with everything they took out. Of course, different fans have different opinions. I didn’t hate the finale, but felt the finale could/should have been longer. The ending seemed rushed. The creators said that the alternate ending isn’t anymore content. Yet is a “happier” ending. I can’t wait to see it.

33. After botching that ending what makes you think I’ll buy the DVD set and get disappointed again? No thanks writers and no thanks to whatever project you come up with in the future.

34. Anna says:

It’s a shame that they felt they had to release an alternate ending. I know some people hated it, but I personally liked it. I think the real misstep for this series wasn’t the finale so much as it was how they got there.

35. alistaircrane says:

This reminds me of the Third Rock From the Sun finale. In the network version, the aliens leave Earth and Mary walks away, alone. In the syndication version, the aliens leave, but then Dick reappears, shouts “Alien abduction!” and takes Mary with him. Perfect!

• jen says:

In another tvline HIMYM article some people were rating the finale compared to others which got me thinking, I don’t think i’ve ever seen the will & grace finale in syndication. Might just be a coincidence or networks in my area are purposely not airing it

• alistaircrane says:

What happened in that finale? Did they hook up?!

• Brooke says:

They stopped being friends. It was heartbreaking.

• jen says:

haha I actually had to look it up when a commenter mentioned it, I legitimately forgot everything except the last scene! Basically Will & Grace don’t speak for 20 years, the only way they reconnect is when their son and daughter respectively move across the hall from each other in college. Karen becomes bankrupt after divorcing stan and encourages jack to become beverley leslie’s ‘business partner,’ beverley later dies and leaves his fortune to jack

• DarkDefender says:

However, that ending was executed craftily. At the very end it seemd like after knowing Will & Grace drifted so far apart over 20 years, we were being shown how they met in college and saw the instant connection they had, only to discover it was their children. I liked it.

36. Joni says:

They should just air it on CBS when the finale is re-aired and air it in syndication too.

37. CandyCurses says:

You know, I don’t mind the mother being dead, it’s a beautiful story.
    But I was crying my eyes out, holding a handful of tissues, Ted finishes the story and he’s like ‘so can I bang Robin?’ And it made the mother and her death a joke.

And it was so insulting. The way I saw it, Ted wanted kids, Robin didn’t, so Ted got a woman to play house with until she died and now that the kids are old enough not to bother Aunt Robin, he runs back to her like a dog. Like the mother was an incubator or something. I wanted to know more of Tracy, I wanted to have a connection with her.

• Brooke says:

I feel like I DID have a connection with her, which just added insult to injury. She was the best thing to happen to the show in years. I adored her and felt like Ted FINALLY got some happiness with someone who worked well with him. The finale was some weird alternate universe where alt-Ted wasn’t a Big Grand Gesture Romantic who would have adored that women forever.

• palomaplum says:

Yes! And when they said they were only living together and having kids I felt like that wasn’t Ted. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I don’t even believe in marriage but it felt like the Ted I knew would have wanted a fancy wedding before the kids were born.
        And I SOOO would have wanted to see that big wedding with all its obsessive-compulsive Tedness.

• jen says:

i’m surprised Ted didn’t insist on a civil ceremony before penny was born and go onto planning their fancy wedding (as a vow renewal) later on. I agree, it felt very out of character

• Joni says:

Exactly! I’d loved to have seen a scene that after planning the “grand gesture” wedding (after being married civilly for years) Ted realized he didn’t need the grand wedding because, with Tracy & their kids, he already had grand – them.

• Karen says:

See, that’s the thing — I saw Ted’s lack of Big Grand Romantic Gestures as a symbol of how he’d found true love. He loved her so sincerely and deeply, every single moment they spent together was grand, and it was romantic. And there was no need for a huge perfect wedding, or a paper to tie them together, because he loved her so much those things didn’t matter. Him letting go of those big romantic gestures was part of his character growth: he absolutely needed to have them with every other girl to make up for them not being his soulmate. He didn’t need them with Tracy, because everything was complete when she was around.

Which makes it even worse when he goes back to get the Blue French Horn for Robin, because it shows he’s regressed, just like Robin and Barney.

• michelle says:

Completely this!! That was exactly the sentiment that I took from his proposal which was why I found it odd that they then wanted a ‘grand gesture’ type wedding. Just got even worse when he went back to grand gesture-Ted by bringing the french horn

• Brooke says:

I like your analysis of that, that’s good thinking. And yes, it does make going back to the blue French horn even more of a regression.

• I’ll agree that Ted may not have felt compelled for the Grand Romantic Gesture with Tracy, but the simple act of getting married is not a grand romantic gesture. It’s a way of showing your commitment to each other. I just had a hard time believing Ted would not want to immediately marry the mother of his child and held off for seven years and two kids. Even if he didn’t have a big elaborate wedding, I found it difficult to believe he wouldn’t have thrown together a small ceremony beforehand. I mean, their actual wedding certainly didn’t take much to plan. So why wait seven years? But since there was a lot of out of character writing in this finale, I guess that is just par for the course.

38. Aaron Smith says:

I really would prefer that they didn’t do that. While many did not like the ending, I would lose all respect for the creators if they go and change it now. I certainly would not be able to trust any further projects of theirs if they bow to public pressure. Integrity is everything…..

39. Carm says:

I watched every episode of the show and did not mind the ending. They started the show with Ted and Robin. They ended the show with Ted and Robin. It was their show. I admit I have never understand why people get so angry over TV shows. Another will come along. They always do.

• DarkDefender says:

Because here is the thing.. We as viewers make a pack with the creators, to watch and keep watching which keeps them handsomely paid and employed and we buy into the story and we get invested in the characters and all we ask is that when the end comes, we get the same quality we had over the seasons. That we don’t get some half assed, poorly written (or executed) finale after all the time we gave in support of their project. It being television or the “choice of the creators” are no excuse.

Consider this… When was the last time you read a really good book only to get to the last chapter and have the plot race forward and every character regress to chapter one (before all the growth happened) and have the end thud to the ground like this ending did?

• Ben says:

No, you don’t make a pact with creators to get the ending you want. Can you even imagine that? Every fan has a pact that a show ends the way they wanted it to? What then, they go with the majority? Should they be paying the ones they don’t please back? It’s a stupid argument that you have any kind of pact or that you are keeping people employed. It’s just a normal consumer market – you go buy something, and if you like it you keep buying, and if you don’t like it you stop buying. No pact.

• Becks says:

No. You don’t make a pact. But you allow your characters to grow and change. The ending to this show invalidates everything that happened to a majority of the main cast. Ted went back to the super stalkery douche he was about Robin. Robin (this *really gets my goat*) gets a personality transplant and now she only wanted Ted once she couldn’t have him. And Barney… Barney lost all the important steps he took in the last season. All three of them ended up right back at square one… but in this case of Barney and Ted they are now dragging their kids along with them. The creators owed it to their CHARACTERS to let them grow up. The ending threw away their growth and fit them back into archetypes they no longer were. That is what i have a problem with. You can start one place with the characters and have an ending in mind… but sometimes as the characters evolve that ending changes… and that is okay. Thats good. No one person ends up where they started… and while this show went “full circle” it didn’t do it in a way that felt organic. It felt like a cheap ploy. Like they were sitting there clasping each other’s back congratulating themselves on their cleverness… while everything about their characters failed in the final act. It felt like they learned nothing during the 9 years the show was on the air. People may hate the finale of lost… but the ending did ring true to the characters. Also… if a majority of fans are referring to LOST as not as bad as HIMYM… that is saying something. The only other backlash to this degree I’ve seen is over Dexter.

40. Fernanda says:

this not only a happy ending for Ted and Tracey, this is how to fix Barney Stinson character and back together with Robin, again special feature.

This is the only mistake that HIMYM producers can’t fix. When Barney had his baby this would be a great opportunity to find the way to get Robin back and once again Robin is not the mother but the aunt. Sadly they destroy all the 9th season plot in the finale.

I didn’t like how the show ends but I respect that finale because they shot the final scene with Ted kids before they grow in real time and for better or worse this was their master plan.

41. Jen says:

So they are going to do an alternate ending, POSSIBLY the one they should have done to begin with but you have to buy the box set to get it. Seriously? How many ways do they want to screw us over. Slap long time fans in the face with the worst ending and then this. Not a problem for me though since I have vowed never to watch this show again!

42. Alice says:

Why should I buy the dvd for that when the fan edit on youtube is free?

43. Rachel says:

Was not pleased with the finale or the final season of How I Met Your Mother. Why waste so much time stretching a weekend wedding of two people who are going to get divorced and introducing us to the mother who is going to die when you could be writing real episodes. If they were going to do what they did they should have made the wedding one episode and stretched the finale episode over the entire final season. I would also like to add that someone commented something to the effect of that people won’t post on the Facebook page if they liked it. Desperate housewives butchered their show in the final season and then decapitated it in the fin moments of the show- half of the fans (such as myself) were pissed and went to Facebook, but I recall that the other half loved it and posted such. I remember reading the comments and thinking they were on crack. This show just spent 8 years teaching us to keep our friends close because they are what make life great and get you through hard times for them to all move and never speak to each other again? So yeah pleased people go to Facebook too.

44. diva says:

Lol carter bays in his tweet sounds like he’s giving us a break-up line, something like ” sorry for everything..hope v can still b friends” lol. And somebody above mentioned about the FRIENDS finale, come on that was a great finale. May the last season wasn’t the best but the last episode was great. Compared to this disaster.

• Brooke says:

I thought Friends’ final season was a nice return to form after the show lagged for a bit, and the finale was also great in that it wrapped everything up with all the characters in satisfying places that the fans could root for.

45. Tee says:

The youtube video got taken down. Yeah that really makes me want to go out and buy the dvd.

46. stevie says:

it’s not the first time bays and thomas screwed up character developments. anyone remember when they tried to turn victoria into na emily (from “friends”) clone? i hated how she suddenly turned into this random psycho bitch who told ted he couldn’t be friends with robin anymore. that was so stupid…

47. JB says:

How about renaming the series “How I met your Stepmother”?

48. Pat says:

The ending which we all saw is already imbedded In our heads so watching an alternative would have been nice but a think it is a little to late. If the ending had been done right in the first place, there would be no need for an alternative. They realized because of the backlash that they are getting over this, that they had to do something but at this point it is just a losing battle!

49. Marc says:

Ted and Robin ending up together is like the sardines on top of the most delicious cheesecake, it was topped off in the worst possible way.

Now the writers want me to buy a Dvd set to get an alternate ending… Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I wonder how it feels like to be the most hated TV writers in history.

50. It was all a marketing scam, why show the ending that everyone will hate? So people will buy their DVDs!
    I lost all respect I had left for those writers