How Will ABC's S.H.I.E.L.D. Cope With the Captain America 2 Twist? 'We Were In Shock,' Says Star

Agents of SHIELD Winter SoldierWarning: The following contains a major plot reveal from the motion picture Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

If you’re an avid consumer of both the Marvel superhero films and ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Captain America: The Winter Soldier (hitting U.S. theaters today) will — spoiler alert! — leave you with a flurry of burning questions, if not outright concern for the TV series’ fate.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? On the Bubble?

In the Captain America sequel, it is revealed that the S.H.I.E.L.D. organization has been secretly corrupted by Hydra since its beginning. And by the end of the film, S.H.I.E.L.D. is disbanded, leaving the supercrime-fighting group’s major players to move on, now without a helicarrier in which to hang their Kangol hats.

“[Marvel Studios boss] Kevin [Feige], after a certain point, wanted to bring S.H.I.E.L.D. down, for Avengers [storytelling] purposes,” Winter Soldier co-writer Christopher Markus told TVLine at the film’s Los Angeles premiere. On the big screen, at least, he offers, “It frees people up, because you don’t have the ‘cops’ to turn to anymore.” Adds co-writer Stephen McFeely: “For now, you’re going to have to operate in this lawless world.”

But is TV’s S.H.I.E.L.D. ready to brave that Wild West?

“We were in shock — and still are, honestly,” Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. cast member Elizabeth Henstridge shared at the Winter Solider premiere. “We all had our theories about what might happen, because we knew there was a huge tie-in [between film and TV]. But none of us saw this coming.”

Ming-Na Wen perhaps sums up the cast’s collective response thusly: “We just kind of said, ‘Um… so what happens to our show?’”

RELATED | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Casts Whedonverse Alum Amy Acker as Coulson’s [Spoiler]

So… what does happen? Rest assured, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s top agents — meaning executive producers Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen — were given a heads-up on what was coming.

“We know a lot about every movie a long time before it comes out,” Whedon told us. “We get to read the scripts and see early cuts, so if and when there are things that affect our world… we have a lot of time to prepare. And there are some things in [Winter Solider] that will ripple into our show.”

Rather than see the shuttering of S.H.I.E.L.D. as an obstacle, “Everything’s an opportunity,” Tancharoen says. “Everything is interconnected, which is definitely a unique situation when you have a television show connected to films like this.”

Neither of the EPs would part with details on how the ABC series will weave in this super wrinkle, other than to say, “Things go crazy” during this last run of episodes. But cast member Henstridge promised a variety of reactions from the agents, who already have been dealing with strange behavior (Why’d Ward gun down Thomas Nash?), hidden agendas (What’s up with May’s secret phone line?) and deceptive friendlies (Saffron Burrows’ Agent Hand seems out to snuff Coulson & Co., while Maximiliano Hernández’s Agent Jasper Sitwell, who also was just on board the Bus, is revealed in Winter Soldier to be a Hydra mole).

“Simmons desperately wants to be like, ‘It doesn’t matter,” Henstridge says, “but she’s lost for the first time, as everything she believes in is challenged. This is the first time that she’s not positive about a situation.”

On the bright side, Winter Soldier‘s undoubtedly boffo box office stands poised to give its TV cousin a pop culture jolt, just as May Sweeps nears and with a Season 2 pick-up still TBD.

“Fans — though not true fans — can be impatient sometimes,” observes Chloe Bennett, who plays newly christened S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Skye. “But I think it’s all about to pay off.” (With reporting by Scott Huver)

1. stevie says:

this show deserves a second chance. it’s gotten REALLY good.

2. ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of H.Y.D.R.A..

3. guest says:

I really hope SHIELD gets a second season, the last few episodes have been great!

• Ben says:

Honestly, I think we simply live in a world where people abandon a show way to quickly. I wish people, if they started watching something, would see a season or at least a good 10-15 episodes through. But there are so many options and competing demands that people don’t any more.
      Agents of SHIELD always had a few things going for it. The universe, the cinematographic look and feel, and the humour. What slowed it down in early episodes were a couple of characters who were annoying, and some clunky scripting on the dramatic side. I don’t even really feel as though the plots let it down, other than the fact they are obviously not major movies with the Avengers turning up in every second episode. A lot of that has been improved now (I think Skye will always be annoying, but at least she has depth now so it is somewhat forgivable).
      The show is, in my view, actually really good – I simply think it suffered from unrealistic expectations about what it was going to be. Its definitely become one of my must watch shows.

• azu says:

To be frank and sincere, this show is boring. Ward and sky are so unlikable. And then they bring in the romance factor? Nah ah!! The writing and casting is wonky. It hasn’t delivered considering it has a rich universe to work with

• Temperance says:

Considering that Ward and Skye are quite ‘likable’, it kinda dismisses the rest of the comment (minus the ‘kinda’).

• Joanne says:

Well said…all ways around. As a Joss Whedon fan, I’ve come to appreciate the fact that his shows are character driven and you need to give time for those characters to develop and let the onion layers peel back. S.H.I.E.L.D is absolutely coming into its own and as a “chapter” of the MCU…it’s extremely satisfying.

• Alex says:

Nah, the show is a stinker.

• Bruv says:

Bunch of nonsense that all you whedon fans say borders on insane. The guy is a one trick pony who can do great character moments but can’t write a proper/good story to save his life.

• Alan says:

yeah thats why buffy and angel failed, and why firefly didnt get a spin off movie right?
            fact of the matter is if the stories werent good enough then the shows wouldnt have done as well as they did.

• Mark says:

If a show needs 10-15 episodes to get good, it isn’t good.

• Alan says:

so arrow isnt good now? star trek the next generation isnt one of the best sci fi series ever made? buffy isnt an iconic series? because all of them had terrible first seasons and now everyone loves them.

• Louise Leamen says:

I love Arrow and look forward to watching it every week. I am a treki fan and used to watch the next generation. I love Jean Luc Picard and even watched the original series way back in the 1960′s. Right now we are into Bitten which just wrapped up its first season. We are keeping our fingers crossed for a second season but have not heard yet if it is renewed.

4. Paolo says:

It’s just “Nick Fury vs. SHIELD” story from 80′s, no shock at all for a Marvel fan. ;)

• Kvivik says:

I was going to say….
      The plot sounded awfully familiar to something I’d read in the past.
      Thanks for the reminder. I’ll have to see if my friends still have that series.

• aucarter says:

Nice Catch! I completely forgot about that series. I’m glad to see Marvel using their rich history to make cinema magic!

5. Kristin says:

Yes, this show definitely deserves a second season. I love the new story arcs! Skye and Coulson’s mysterious past, potential double-agents, Asgardian visitors – the show has really evolved into something fun and captivating!

6. Jerry says:

Well Fury did say “Not all the rats when down with the ship” so I assume Coulson’s team will be covert cleanup. Although who will give them that order since it seems like all but 4 people think Fury is dead, I don’t know.

Also I don’t think Cobie Smulder’s character will be on the show now? Looks like she is working for Stark.

I’m assuming Agent Hand is HYDRA. And Adrian Pasdar’s General character is out to clean up “rogue” SHIELD Agents like Coulson.

7. Dominique says:

“Fans — though not true fans — can be impatient sometimes,” see it’s things like this why i have trouble liking chloe bennett, she always says the strangest things.

i’m curious to see how the show will handle this, but i think it might be what they need to keep thing sinteresting for next season, should they get one.

8. Rich says:

I wasn’t a comic reader, but considering the episode “The Hive”, which gave a somewhat unpleasant version of SHIELD’s command center, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Agents of SHIELD show and the plane they use as their base are the last remaining ‘good’ SHIELD agents and are the nucleus of a new agency.

That would certainly continue the series, and give them a lot of latitude to move forward.

9. TV Gord says:

Following the comics continuity, maybe they can become Marvel’s Agents of SWORD, which is an agency that specializes in eliminating alien threats to Earth. It would be cool if they could bring in Jessica Drew aka Spider-Woman, since she was one of their agents. That would be cool! (said in my best Beavis voice)

• Alan says:

we arent going to see sword on tv, a tv budget couldnt do that.
      anyway sword will appear whenever carol danvers finally gets a movie, probably in a few years as further set up to the ongoing thanos plot thats playing out in the world.
      also i doubt them having the rights to jessica drew due to the spider in her name, i know she has little to no connection to spiderman outside of it but its enough for me to question it.

• canadian ninja says:

They have the rights to Spider-Woman. But we know they are scaredy cats when it comes to super-powered women (hello Ms. Danvers) and in all fairness Drew’s completely separate from Peter Parker backstory & power set might prove too confusing for casual viewers.

Would be nice if they’d give AoS a top tier supe though.

10. Drew says:

This is a failing of this whole Marvel movie/TV universe. Even if I wanted to avoid movie spoilers, it won’t matter since I won’t see the movie anytime soon and the TV show will spoil it all anyway.
    Fortunately I don’t care much. The show deserves to be canceled (though it probably won’t be) and the movies are getting more and more boring because of their need to connect it all. The whole thing is going down in my opinion.

11. Luis says:

Marvel’s Agents of W.T.F.

12. TheDoctor1963 says:

This is equivalent to Doctor Who’s ‘timey-wimey.” It will work itself out bythe end of the season and into season 2 (keeping fingers crossed)

13. Abhijit says:

I’m thinking its a bit disingenuous for the cast to react to the movie in this way. After all, the next few episodes have already been filmed, so the cast probably did know of the movie twist. Either that, or the tv storyline isn’t that connected to the movie, so filming could happen without spoiling the movie.

• Sara says:

I think they were referring to their reactions when they found out about the twist whenever they found out about it, probably a while back. As the article says, the showrunners knew about the twist a while back, and as you said the episodes are filmed a wee bit in advance. And Clark Gregg has been tweeting the hashtag itsallconnected for quite some time now. So in conclusion, I don’t think it was disingenuous at all.

14. arial2 says:

The tv series (IMO) started a little weak, but has gotten better as the season goes on, so I hope it is renewed. My only demand, in light of the movie’s disbanding of SHIELD, is that Coulson’s group gets to keep the airplane; it’s currently the best inanimate character on television!

15. Scott says:

Pretty despicable trick. I refuse to watch movies at cinemas, and I have no interest in Captain America anyway. All this will do is make me resent the TV show.

• Jerry says:

I’m sure the TV show will explain what is going on as well.

• Ashley says:

Honestly the show has always been open about the fact that it is set in the Marvel CINEMA universe, so you probably shouldn’t have watched this show if you weren’t going to keep up with the Marvel movies.

• john says:

Its a shared universe so this will happen. Marvel aren’t being despicable they are pulling off something amazing, fair enough you don’t appreciate it but others will especially us comic geeks.

16. john says:

Now convinced that the secret facility was hydra and the guard named bob is bob the hydra agent. If it is its a cheeky nod to deadpool and they sneaked it past fox.

17. tv2day says:

Terrible show. I keep trying. This many episodes in and I still only know two of the characters names. Coulson n sky. The characters r so dull n the writing is for pre teens n young teens. Also, why does everything happen during the sunny daytime. They need some dark edge. If they added just a 1/4 of what arrow has it would help. They also need to kill off the uninteresting cast. The Asian lady n the Coulson dude live and bump off everyone else.

• Alex J says:

You obviously haven’t really watched the show as a lot of the best action scenes have taken place at night ,one example being episode 10 “The Bridge”. The show actually has very mature writing and on some points more so then Arrow ( I actually love Arrow as well ). So don’t hate there is room for both these shows to be successes.

• Temperance says:

You clearly haven’t been watching the show (at least after the first few episodes).

18. James D says:

I am super excited to see the final episodes this season after seeing Cap 2 this show has an opportunity to do some really cool stuff with Shield. I hope it delievers.

• alexandrrina says:

Ditto! Can’t wait, Captain America opened a lot of doors for development, the show can do anything now and I hope they’ll explain everything by the end of the season, especially since there aren’t any other S.H.I.E.L.D. movies coming up any time soon (there aren’t, are there?)… anyway, can’t wait for next week’s episode

19. David Knowles says:

S.H.I.E.L.D is descended from a long line of secret organisations back to Egypt, it probably not the first time it been almost destroyed, it will rise up from the dust again, which would be great to see on a tv show, the rebuilding of S.H.I.E.L.D.

john Wrong, Nick Fury took that base of S.H.I.E.L.D radar , I suspect it one of the 28 emergency, covert, back-up that only Fury knows about. When he was secretly of reach he was placing his own people into those facilities, preparing for Hydra to make their move.

20. Patrick Maloney says:

I cannot wait to see how this plays out in the show!

21. Ms Thing says:

Bring in Maria Hill and kill Skye. That would improve the tv show completely!

22. Nicole says:

OMG! The movie actually had ne wondering how this will affect the show. Half way through I was wondering if they actually take out shield would the show still be called agents of shield. I don’t follow the comics, but I love the movies and the show gas only gotten better. I confess I stopped watching for a little bit but it definitely caught my attention again. And I’m glad it did! The movie kind of explains why the cast and crew were so cryptic during the Paley fest panel. Hope it gets picked up for a second season.

23. John says:

Not sure why the writer of this article chose to make the “hang his Kangol hat” reference, sounds questionable…..why not just talk about his daughter doing adult movies? Scott Huver, you may want to retract that single statement…..another example of irresponsible journalism.

• Sean says:

Oh my God, please tell you’re joking? You do realise that it’s Samuel L. Jackson, not Laurence Fishburne, that’s in the Marvel movies?

24. Dj says:

The show has gotten so much better. I do think the best way to go after the movie is have Fury cameo in the season finially. They are filming Avengers 2 right now it wouldn’t be to hard to film a scene with Fury and Coulson to use for the show that would set up season 2.

Plus with Hill working for Stark why can’t Fury, Hill with Stark as the backer start a whole new SHIELD.

25. Louise Leamen says:

Hi Ausiello
    I was just wondering if Bitten is coming back for a second season? We just love the show.

26. ElEvil says:

so …. kree then …. anyone wondering if they are going to start turning up on both sides? ( blue dude in a tube ) and is deathlok roxxon or another string in The barrons bow? or both?
    and will the good Doctor return with Modock and A.I.M? ( i know killian was aim, but if they can string the mandarin along for another go round, why not have another AIM ? )

27. John NYC says:

Just saw the movie. Make sure your seat belts are fastened: It’s going to be a bumpy ride.

• Louise Leamen says:

Sorry but we do not watch that show. We already watch a lot of shows. I hear it is very good.

• John NYC says:

Why apologize for your choices?

Otoh responding to a comment that you have zero in common with does seem odd.

If that’s a new thing? If so: Hey Community viewers? Sorry don’t watch.

• Louise Leamen says:

So you’re telling me that the movie is really good
      I don’t. Know if I. Am going to see it or not.

28. Xiomara says:

DASHCOM websites are springing up all around the world.
    Just want . link is on Piratebay does not necessarily mean that the users
    are downloading it, and therefore, the flawed data. Trading invites numerous sites
    is highly frowned upon inside the exclusive Bit – Torrent community as it allows anti-piracy groups to infiltrate private trackers with less effort.

• Louise Leamen says:

I used to use Bit Torrent but not anymore. It is too much of a hassle. I heard they are doing away with it. Did you watch Game of Thrones last night? Great first episode. I love the dragons. I love dragons and have one tattooed on my thigh and the other two are on top of my desk.

29. Dj says:

I’ve said earlier that with them filming Avengers 2 it shouldn’t be to hard to get Jackson to do something for the season finially of AOS. Well it looks like that will happen as Jackson has said that he has filmed a scenes for the AOS season finially.

30. getJAKD says:

Warning this may contain spoilers, though I tried to avoid as many as I could. My theory is that Fury knew what was happening all along. He found the opportunity to hide himself and run SHIELD from the underground with no government oversight to end any corruption. SHIELD isn’t shut down just in deep cover to eliminate the bad seeds. He has Hill and other agents working undercover in agencies he knows are compromised.Fury is even lying to Captain America because things are different than they were in his time and Fury knows he wouldn’t agree. Fury is “compartmentalizing” if you will, need to know type stuff. Then with Avengers 2 when the team is needed this will all be laid out to the Captain. That’s my theory anyways. Any thoughts?

31. Joe Gunner says:

sezon 2 will be or is finish now?

32. We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your site offered us with valuable information to work on.
    You have done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

33. Amazing issues ɦere. I’m ѵery satisfied tοo look your article.
    Thanks ѕо mucxh ɑnd I am taking a look forward tօ touch yօu.
    Wiill you kindly drop me a mail?