Post Mortem: Revolution Star Talks 'Intense,' Deadly Fight and Fearing [Spoiler]'s Wrath

Revolution Season 2 SpoilersIf you have yet to watch Wednesday’s episode of Revolution, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, read on…

Revolution said goodbye to one of its regular cast members on Wednesday night — and it was another main character who did the killing!

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? On the Bubble?

After Jason (played by JD Pardo) went killer cadet on her, nearly strangling her to death, Charlie was forced to shoot her former “friend.” It was an ugly, brutal battle, capped by an emotional farewell as Charlie held Jason’s lifeless body and wept.

Here, star Tracy Spiridakos talks about the “super intense” shoot and the toll it takes on Charlie. Plus, judging from what the actress had to say about Neville’s reaction, the Matheson gal might want to sleep with one eye open from here on!

TVLINE | What was it like having to take out a costar in such a direct manner?
It was so sad! So sad. It was a very intense day. We spent a whole day on that sequence… I’m so grateful that we were able to do that and give it as much time as we could. We both felt the gravity of it, because we’ve all been together since the pilot. When you see one of your own go, it’s always really hard to watch happen.

TVLINE | Did you talk to JD beforehand and suss out how you were going to approach the scene?
No, I like to just bounce off whatever’s happening that the other person is doing. I had my own stuff that I prepared going into it, just mentally thinking about what that situation would be like for Charlie and everything that she’s been through. And then I played off of what he was doing. But like I said, there was so much heaviness with what was happening that we were both there. You could feel the weight in the room.

TVLINE | The fight looked very physically brutal. He’s choking you, you’re trying to push him away…. What is that like to film?
It was intense to film. All those parts were me. Even if you just see my face in certain parts of the close-up, that was JD there with his hands [on my neck].  It was intense physically, it was intense emotionally, as it should be based on who it was…. I’m so glad that it was portrayed in that way.

TVLINE | Charlie has a very emotional reaction after she shoots Jason. She hugs him, kisses his cheek. Was that all scripted?
No, that was just in the moment, what was going on. Our director is so wonderful that she let us do certain things, and that was one of the moments that came out of it. That was my instinct of what to do. I just thought about having to do something like that and being in a situation like that. It’s just absolutely heartbreaking.

TVLINE | It was a nice reminder that she once cared about Jason – and still does, even though he’s been in this altered state.
Absolutely. We never really knew what happened with them. I think everybody wanted to see them get back together, and in that episode, we felt there was a lot of emotion between these two. There’s an attachment. As we were performing it, you can just feel like, “Aw, man, there might still be something there for the two of them.” The way it left off, things were unfinished for them.

TVLINE | How does Charlie handle the loss going forward?
It definitely affects her arc for the rest of the season and, hopefully, going into Season 3, I’m sure it will carry forward. It’s just one of those things that’s so tragic. And also the amount of guilt that she has from what happened definitely carries forward with her for the rest of the season.

TVLINE | Earlier in the episode, she said she trusted Jason — and then he turns around and this happens. Does it make her shut down and not want to trust anybody?
I don’t think so. No. She knows what has happened, and she knows that that wasn’t him. It’s not a matter of not trusting Jason. It’s a matter of what the Patriots did to him… The guilt doesn’t come from mistrusting him and making a bad call. It’s from everything else.

TVLINE | The teaser after the episode showed a bit of Neville. How is he going to react when he learns what happened?
I can’t tell you about how he’s going to react, but I can tell you they do come face-to-face. He’s looking for Jason, and obviously, Charlie knows what happened. It’s really intense. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

TVLINE | He doesn’t look pleased… which I think is Neville’s constant state.
He’s terrifying!

TVLINE | If I were Charlie, I would be worried about having a target on my back.
Right. Well, yes, he’s the wrong person to piss off, that’s for sure. [Laughs]

Revolution fans, what did you think of Jason’s death? Were you shocked that Charlie was the one to take him out?

1. Tran 2.0 says:

RIP Jason Neville

• Sg. Grant says:

Anyone else think the actor would be a great casting to play a young Obama? When that biographical mini-series eventually comes to fruition, which we all know will in a few years, he definitely could pull it off.

• Young Obama? Basically he’s playing a dumb rich pot smoker? I think he’s better than that. Obama should have one of his “soul mates” play him like Jamie Fox, if people must be inflicted with more silly Obama crap.

• Sg. Grant says:

Your comment took a post about a casting, and turned it into some ignorant political nonsense. Educate yourself before you come to a television website and bring that type of discussion here.

• I don’t understand why they didn’t tie him up, memorize the number, and burn it out of his eyelid to begin with.

2. Tran 2.0 says:

Couldn’t stand Jason since the beginning when he faked his own identity (Nate) in the pilot. Guess Charlie may or may not forgive all of horrible things she did for Jason/Nate right from the get go.

3. Cassandra says:

I didn’t think I was going to be upset over his death, but the ending was IMO extremely sad. After seeing the previews for this week, I was really hoping the death would have been Tom or his wife, since I find everything about their storylines, redundant and boring as hell now. Now they are going to play out this story of Tom out for revenge despite his son never being a mere pawn in his quest for power.

4. alex says:

Fantastic ep and fantastic job, JD, Tracy, writers, & director.

5. S says:

Jason was my favorite character and I was only still hanging onto the show for him. So, I’m out. It’s so sad they had to throw him under the bus for Charlie/Connor or heaven forbid, Charlie/Monroe. The last scene was so well done though. I hope you do an interview with JD too. I’d love to see what he has to say about this whole thing.

• Janet says:

I don’t think they threw him under the bus. Isn’t JD Pardo filming a CW pilot? Which means he may have asked to leave. I am all for Charlie & Monroe and say writers bring it on.

• Carla Krae says:

His death would’ve had nothing to do with shippers. Kripke doesn’t work that way.

• Katherine215 says:

If they were making decisions based on shipping, I’d think they’d have kept him rather than kill him off. I thought for sure they were setting up a Jason/Charlie/Connor triangle.
      Personally, I thought the death scene was sad and quite well done, but I was mainly sad for Charlie and didn’t feel much sorrow at seeing Jason go. Much like OUAT’s Neal, I felt his character was mainly a plot device for the other main characters, primarily Charlie and Neville.
      It has been a bloody week in television, that’s for sure!

• Kayli says:

Charlie/Jason was the thing keeping me in love with this show, unless he comes back to life in the next episode (highly unlikely), I’m out too. I think miles/Rachel is boring, tom/ his week wife is redundant, and Monroe and his son are annoying, Jason and Charlie were the only lovable couple- duo, she was always his week point, and I loved that a girl could be the strong one – now she has killed him, and the show is done for me too.

• Soledad says:

I think jason and charlie were the most borin couple, no chemistry, we need action, this series must have something different to be renewed and charlie and monroe gave us that, chemistry, if you want a love story you are watching the wrong show, we needs love and hate at the same time, that is the perfect combination, remember kate and sawyer from lost,

6. Tina says:

That scene was amazing and heartbreaking. Sad no more Jason, so pretty.

7. Robin says:

I am so disappointed to see Jason leave this show. I had been waiting for Charlie and Jason to finally get together and when they finally do you have to kick him off the show? Everything that last part showed was what I had been wanting from the beginning. All the emotion and chemistry they had. Jason and Charlie was one of my favorite parts to look forward to and wonder about the show. I am not saying the last scene wasn’t good, but why couldn’t he of just snapped out of it ?

8. Kar says:

i want charloe!!

• Soledad says:

Me too

• Alex says:

EWWW! She’s young enough to be his daughter. ICK.

• Soledad says:

Stop saying that he is old enough, is an apocalíptic world, a science fiction show, the age does not matter, besides monroe is reality handsome, ever y woman wants to be with him, richard gere was much older than Julia Roberts in pretty women, and everyone loved the couple

• Nicole Elizabeth says:

Here here! The age thing doesn’t matter at all! People need to stop being judgey ’cause the world theyre living in, they probably wont be living long anyway. Just live in the moment. And Bass/Charlie have so much chemistry. Plus, come on people, the lovey dovey stuff between Jarlie that just doesn’t fit the show anymore. It’s all lust, mix of love and hate. It’s not this puppy dog stuff Jason had going on… Charlie isn’t that girl anymore. In many ways she’s so mature that she needs a man like Bass, and he’s really the only who understands her. They have both lost so much and both (sorry Charlie, it’s true) have an unhealthy attachment to Miles. Not that I mind, I love Miles. Bass and Charlie cling onto what they love and hold onto it, even if it’s trying to run away, after everything it’s happened it’s only natural for them to find each other.

• Sara says:

Yes, its the fact they are both pretty messed up and dark that makes it work. Plus how defended they both are… I love their scenes together, would be happy with this if (please, please PTB) the show is renewed….

9. A says:

So heartbreaking! They did an excellent job though. I’ll miss Jason

10. no no no i hate it when they cut of main characters i was waiting for Charlie and Jason to reunite since they split up in the beginning i really do hope he comes back
    why don’t they use the nanotec green thing please please !!

11. Katherine says:

I am utterly disappointed. I really liked Jason and loved the Charlie/Jason pairing. Why all the build up during the first season? Just to end up like this. To be honest, I won’t be surprised if the ratings drop even more. The writers are slowly destroying all the good things from the first season. Charlie and Miles used to have this great uncle-niece relationship. Now they are barely talking to each other. Charlie and Jason is completely over. Rachel and Monroe don’t have scenes together any more, just between the two of them, which was always a treat to watch. At least it was a sweet final moment between Charlie and Jason with the kiss on his cheek. Now I really hope they don’t do a Connor/Charlie/Monroe love triangle. That would be very creepy and would completely turn me off. I can accept Charlie and Connor. Now Charlie and Monroe would be too much.

12. Nate says:

I thought it Charlie that was gonna die for a second. Whew!! Also he was there wine the beginning??? Why do I not remember him.

• Mel says:

No, she’s still far too important to the show to kill off. The character of Jason had a somewhat reduced role this year.

13. Elyse says:

Jason hasn’t been a big player this season. Not surprised they killed him off.

14. tv2day says:

The storyline/writing has been so bad in season 2. About time they started bumping off some of these characters.

• Katherine215 says:

I think season 2 has been even better than season 1. It’s much funnier, which I enjoy, though I’d agree with the comment below that we haven’t seen much of Miles and Charlie’s relationship lately and I hope they get back to that.

15. stacie says:

It was a fantastic episode last night and JD and Tracy killed it

16. John says:

Revolution is the best show on TV right now.

For the people who are worried about a Charlie/Monroe love, I don’t think you’re paying attention to well. We still don’t know who Charlie’s father is and Monroe is a real dark horse candidate, next to the obvious Miles Matheson.

Which would mean Charlie had sex with her half-brother. Which is something I immediately realized early on in the season, that that could be a naughty twist when her father is finally revealed.

And I don’t think JD was ‘kicked’ off. He’s a young actor, up and coming. I think he probably got some deserved notoriety for his acting on the show and he’s moving on to greener pastures. That happens with shows a lot; it’s not always someone getting ‘kicked’ off.

I just hope this spurs more interest in the show. This is my favorite thing on tv by a long shot and I would hate to lose it.

• Jamie says:

Yep, I’ve personally said from the beginning that miles is Charlie’s father. However, that they will keep throwing candidates in to the ring to keep it interesting.

• alex says:

I’m hoping that Miles is Charlie’s father. It would be a fantastic arc along with the charloe story arc. Monroe being Charlie’s father? No, I don’t even wanna think about it. Sure, it’s an option. Not a very good one and that would really, REALLY ruin the show for lots of people myself included not to mention it is a poorly plotted arc and after Rockne told Charloe fans to have hope? I would be pissed.

• Alex says:

No way is Monroe Charlie’s father. You must be a TV newbie. It’s clearly Miles.

17. Tiffany says:

Fantastic but heartbreaking episode! Good job Tracey and JD!!! You will be missed JD!! Thank you for the commitment and care that you gave to the character of Jason!!!

18. Eric says:

Let’s be realistic, Miles is Charlie’s father. They would not have her sleep with her half-brother…

19. Patrick Maloney says:

Intense is the perfect word to describe that episode

20. Tran 2.0 says:

Poor Charlie. She still can’t catch a break seeing one dead person after another. First Dr. Maggie (episode 104) then her brother Danny (episode 111) then Nora (Season One finale) and now Jason Neville FKA Nate (episode 218). Charlie needs more Kleenex.

21. Heartbreaking ending. Kripke killed it again. Now NBC needs to renewed this.

22. Mel says:

Renew it! Renew it! Renew it!!!!

23. A says:

I was hoping the Nanites would be the big death

24. alex says:

NBC needs to renew this show like now. Best show on tv.

25. Ally Oop says:

Oh if this show is cancelled I will be so crushed.

26. Erin says:

I was waiting for Jason and Charlie to get back together. I was hoping since they have both become so much more tough in character that they would be able to bring out the softer sides of each other. Jason was my favorite and a huge part of why I continued to watch. I’m so sad he is leaving. The episode made me cry. Conner isn’t tough enough for her. He’s lost in a less sexy way than Jason.

• daisy says:

My thoughts exactly. Conner is a pansy compared to Jason.

• Soledad says:

Jason and connor are unnecessary characters, they are so boring. I want charloe, and stop saying he is old enouph, is an apocalyptic world, where you can die tomorrow, they are so sexy together, we can see sparks, this does not mean that they are gonna get married, but a love scene between them would be great for the show.

• Kailee says:

Jason wasn’t really unnecessary, he was basically a main character. I know I fell in love with his character from the beginning, as many others too. And because of this impact, I really can’t continue to go through with this show because of that, so how do you think other people who loved him will feel? This is definitely going to lower the rating.

27. daisy says:

NOOOOO!!!! I really liked Jason!! Such a dynamic character. Stuck between his family and the girl he loves. Right and wrong. And just the right amount of tortured past. And if Charlie continues anything with Conner I will be so disappointed. Come on, Nanos to the rescue!!!!!

28. doris brandon says:

i was so upset when jason got killed. i was hoping to see him and charlie together and pickup where they left off. im hoping another network picks up this show as it has been one of the best ive seen .

29. Madison says:

WHY DID THEY KILL HIM OFF? He and Charlie’s relationship was like the only thing keeping me going on the show, lol. Now that he’s gone I just feel like the show is going to be so much less interesting. All the other couples are boring. Hopefully he comes back to life or something, cause I don’t think I’ll be watching for much longer if he doesn’t, lol.

30. Kailee says:

Jason Neville was my favorite character during this whole show. When season 2 started, and Jason wasn’t with Charlie, I was so devastated I stopped watching until I realized they might get back together. It’s stupid, but I absolutely fell in love with his character and I wanted to see him and Charlie back together. This had a HUGE impact on me. I think cancelling season 3 is a good thing, because I can’t ever come back to this show.