Fox's Gotham Casts Its Young Riddler

Gotham Riddler CastRiddle me this: Are you ready to meet another iconic Gotham villain?

RELATED | Gotham‘s Detective James Gordon Revealed — First Look at Ben McKenzie in Action

Sorry, that wasn’t a very good riddle. Hopefully we can expect better from Cory Michael Smith, who has scored the role of Edward Nygma (aka the future Riddler) in Fox’s upcoming Batman prequel series, TVLine has learned.

Gotham‘s Edward is described as a “brilliant young forensic scientist. Inquisitive and eccentric, and outgoing but socially awkward, he wants to be liked — but doesn’t quite know how.”

A relative newcomer to the small screen, Smith can next be seen in HBO’s Oliver Kitteridge miniseries, airing later this year.

Browse pics of Gotham‘s heroes and villains below, then drop a comment with your thoughts on Smith’s casting. Do you approve?

_

1. The timeline on this series is all screwed up, hah.

• nate says:

and how is that?? get over it

• How is that? All these villains are making their debut while Bruce is still a child. By the time he’s old enough to be Batman, they’ll be old men and he’ll be beating on them, heh.

• Jooshua says:

It hasn’t been stated that they are making their debuts as the villains.. those villains came from somewhere they didn’t just come to be out of thin air.

Bruce was about 8-10 when he lost his parents.. and became Batman in his mid-20s. The Penguin was always older than Bruce.. & Selina Kyle is about the right age.

But yes the RIddler seems to be a bit older than I would imagine him at this time. He will be about 40 when Bruce Wayne becomes Batman.

Having been a huge comic book fan my whole life.. I don’t see the point in constantly telling the same story over and over again.

I have lost count how many times I’ve seen an origin story of the same character.. so I well welcome ANY change in storyline.. to be honest.. aging the character up isn’t ENOUGH change.

2. nate says:

CAN WE GET JADA’S POSTER ALREADY?!?!?! i wanna see what crap people are gonna come up with in the comments

3. Eric says:

As long as they don’t cast the Joker yet. THAT ROLE WILL BE MINE.

4. Alan says:

are there going to be any villains left for batman to fight in 15 years when he finally puts on the suit?

5. queerbec says:

Cory is a terrific young actor who has made quite a name for himself on the Broadway stage in such plays as “Cock,”. “The Whale ,” and the otherwise mundane “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” opposite Emilia Clarke.

6. Scott says:

Maybe they’re going to make this into more of a “How I Met the Batman” with each villain in turn narrating the episodes from somewhen in the future…….

7. Diva says:

I wasn’t interested in this before but now I’m really curious. I just hope they don’t go the Smallville route i.e. erase the memories of the villains so they don’t know their identities.

• Isobel says:

Hopefully not, I think this will more be origins of everyone except batman for a while, and how all the villans started as small time and grew over the years into large threats