Dancing With the Stars Week 3 Results: Did This Week's Outcome Surprise You?

dancing with the stars recapAfter last week’s somewhat-surprising double heave-ho of Diana Nyad and Sean Avery (were they really the worst dancers, dear voters?) and the premise of a first-ever partner swapping “Shake-Up” just a week away, the spotlight for Week 3 of Dancing With the Stars shifted to an old standby — the tear-stained “Most Memorable Year” themed dances.

Let’s face it, no one (especially the producers) really knows how swapping partners mid-season will shake out – will it be a momentum staller or a scene-stealer? – but this season’s surprise-a-minute theme continued with a stunning, way early-in-the-show celeb injury withdrawal (see below).

RELATED | American Idol‘s Majesty Rose Talks Early Front-Runner Status, Frozen Fumble, Coldplay Covers

But on the upside, tonight’s live show also showcased a high-energy mix of contemporary, jive, rumba and fox trot, along with the glittering presence of resplendent guest judge, Good Morning America’s Robin Roberts.

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Cody Simpson’s dynamic jazz (danced to his own song “Surfboard”) showed his true potential, Charlie White’s jive was undeniably jive-tastic, and Danica McKellar’s contemporary wowed and inspired Len Goodman (“It was like butter on a hot muffin!”) , but for my money, here’s the top dance of the night:

Meryl Davis & Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Dedicated to the entire journey (not just a specific year) of her now historic partnership with Charlie White — those old skating clips were priceless! – Meryl’s fox trot brought down the ballroom. Bruno Tonioli called it “world class” while Carrie Ann Inaba said it was so beautiful, she burst into tears (and goose bumps) half way through. Though his dubious ‘9’ denied them an otherwise perfect score, Len appropriately dubbed M & M the night’s most “delicious” duo.

RUNNER UP: James Maslow & Peta Murgatroyd. – After sharing recollections of himself as a chubby, bullied kid in the pre-dance clip, the not-so-chubby James’ high-octane jive had the “energy of a lightning strike” according to Bruno, who tipped him as an early Mirrorball contender. “I cannot believe what you’ve achieved in three weeks… the kicks, the flicks, everything was superb.” That said, Carrie Ann warned James that he had “a little claw thing happening” with his hands, but her overall review (her adjectives included “kinetic, vibrant, active”) was equally glowing, and the dance earned a string of 9’s from the judges.

And now for the moment of truth, tonight’s results:

WITHDREW
Billie Dee Williams (back injury)

And with that, it’s your turn. Which couple should have really gone home tonight? Which new couples are you voting for to dance together in next week’s Switch Up? Sound off in the comments!

1. Chablis says:

Hate the switch idea. Was not a fan of Meryl prior but really like her now.

• Trudi says:

The switch is only for one show, but I think it’s a bad idea. If someone gets injured, it could look intentional. Sabotage? The producers may not have thought about that. Accidents happen. Just Sayin’. This would be a bad time for a sprained ankle.

2. Jen says:

I ugly cried when the girl with the legs danced (can’t think of her name). Like sobbed. Absolutely beautiful, and as always wonder choreography from Derek.

• Angela says:

Amy :). And I wholeheartedly agree-her dance was beyond moving-Tom Bergeron even got choked up, for goodness’ sake! Derek’s words to her backstage after their dance were sweet, too.
      Danica’s was touching, too, as was Drew’s.
      Shame to hear of Billy’s injury, too. I figured he wouldn’t stick around too long, but still, it’s a shame to see him go.

3. Tran 2.0 says:

Where’s Yoda when they need him?

4. Stacie says:

I love Robin Roberts. I enjoy her immensely, and there is nothing against her, BUT, the new celebrity judges addition to the show is just useless. They don’t really provide anything more than the other 3. This addition, as well as the switch up are just desperate moves to revitalize an aging show. I think it was annoying having Julianne Hough and Maksim judge last year, and they were actually on the show, now we are having people that have nothing to do with anything. At least Robin watches the show, but it’s still a waste. I am sad that the show is old and they are doing whatever they can to change things up. The show just is the same old same old, not matter what silly things they do to try to change things up.

• THeFactsR says:

I do not believe Robin is judge worthy! What does she know? She took a few lessons with Val and then Maks and I meant just a few lessons.

• Angela says:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I didn’t get why she was a guest judge, either. And I lost count of how many times she used the word “beautiful”.

• delfiteblu says:

Beautiful tended to be the word of the night because so much WAS beautiful tonight. Just think of the GUEST judge being one of us; when we watch from home, we’re judging; Robin was our stand-in. She doesn’t have to be a professional dancer to say what she liked and didn’t.

• Angela says:

I’m not necessarily criticizing her constant use of the word, I just found it amusing (though I do agree that there were indeed many moments worthy of such description tonight). And yes, we do judge at home, but on the actual show itself I do prefer judges who at least have some knowledge of what they’re judging, especially if they’re going to be giving scores. They could still look at it from an average viewer’s perspective in terms of, “This dance was fun!” or “I think you guys have great chemistry” or something, but if they’re giving actual scores then, to me, that says they should have a little more professional knowledge of the world of dance.
          Just my view, though *Shrugs*.

• Renee says:

Actually, the judges usually do give their professional take on the couple’s dances when scoring.

• Ronnie says:

That’s all well and good, but she gives a score, Unfortunately, much of the time, the score doesn’t reflect my viewpoint, I think 3 judges are quite enough. There are many other professional judges out there probably waiting to be called.

• Sarah says:

:Lets see . . . she works for ABC … she is the host of GMA … both shows are on ABC ,,, why do you even ask? Ratings … they have to pat her any way . . . . you pick. What I would like to see is some real novice dancers …stars or not, dancing with the pros ..THAT would be a good show.

5. THeFactsR says:

POWER RANKINGS

Meryl
    Danica
    Charlie
    Candace
    James
    Nene
    Cody
    Amy

• Leonie says:

:o that was so rude to rank the people (n)

• TheFactsR says:

The writer did ask for our thoughts and with that I gave a power ranking! I was not rude! That was your opinion Leonie. Obviously you have a different take on the definition of “RUDE”

Many rank the dances beginning with DWTS judges. IF they can rank so can I!

This is America where freedom to VOICE my thoughts are welcome as long as (per this media) I don’t curse or get vulgar!

6. Name This Tune says:

I am loving how engaged Max is this season. No bad boy scenes because he’s got a great partner.

• THeFactsR says:

huh engaged?? Maks always does his best but look at the partners he was given for the other seasons! DUH!

• Joe Pernice says:

As a guy, I am saying that Max has more than a “thing” going for Meryl; who wouldn’t … she is poetry in motion and the partner switch is totally a lousy idea; chemistry like those two have doesn’t come along often … love watching them together.

7. Ashley says:

As much as I love James, I thought his jive was a bit sloppy at the end and that he didn’t extend his legs enough. Still happy to see he’s doing well though. Hopefully he makes it relatively far. Hoping to see him with Sharna, Emma, or Witney next week. Ideally, Emma considering she’s no longer in the competition and doesn’t have to “sabotage”, though I’d love to see what choreography Sharna would give him.
    Amy’s story was beautiful and her will to dance was incredibly touching. I rarely cry during dances, but that one had me shed a couple of tears.
    Not surprised by Billy’s withdrawal. Saddening though.
    As much as my childhood was made seeing that Kimmy and DJ are still best friends, I don’t get Candice and I think she should be booted sooner rather than later.

8. Amber says:

I think I must have scanned this article. No mention of how awesome Amy Purdy was? THAT was the dance of the night. The others were all entertaining, but Amy’s was awesome. She’s better than some of the other contestants who have two legs.

9. Sara says:

For me the best dances were easily Danica and Meryl. Nothing against Amy – she’s fabulous, she’s incredible and she will go far, her story is tragic but inspiring and definitely a tear jerker but for me, Danica’s story hit me harder. I have a family member who lost his mom at a young age and I know exactly what Danica is saying and it really resonated with me. I think Danica is an incredible woman. As for Meryl, her talent is unmatched. She really shines with Maks. I didn’t care much for her or Charlie during the Olympics, I’m Canadian so I rooted for our Olympians, but I really love Meryl and I hope this switch-up (which is insanely dumb) won’t screw her or Danica over, or Maks & Val for that matter.

• THeFactsR says:

Switch is so dumb! Stupid! Another problem maker instead of problem solver!

• Renee says:

I don’t prefer the switch but it will keep things interesting as per the show’s plan. I lean more toward Amy over Danica as far as what tragic happened in their lives. Death is never easy having lost my parents & grandparents. It changes but never leave you & never should. Having Amy’s Father give her his kidney to save her life is golden. Definitely kudos to Amy & Danica!

10. delfiteblu says:

I was going to vote in the switch-up but DWTS always seems to screw me out of a way to vote for something – I didn’t want to have to automatically put in a link back to the show to vote; it was a hassle so I gave up.

The only switches I care about are the people I think are doing the best. Cheryl with Charlie, Meryl with Val, Amy with Mark (because Mark and Derek are so close) the others matter but I can’t and frankly don’t WANT to bother to play match game with 18 people. I think that unless they’re matched with somebody similar to their other partners, it will really hurt the momentum. There’s a lot of talent this season and I’d like to see it. BTW, Billie Dee should have gone home, and he did, and I’m glad because when the senior citizens dance I always get nervous. He could barely walk, much less dance. That’s not to sound cranky; *I* am 67; I just hate it when good dancers have to go and people are kept because they’re a legend or just because theyre old. :(

• Leonie says:

excuse, can somebody please fire the producers from dwts, since they’re actually screwing up our votes please?

11. Karen says:

My 2 favourites and most emotional tonight were Danica and Amy. Charlie and Meryl are definitely good, and I know it’s not exactly the same, but they have an advantage being ice dancers. The weak link is Candace, I believe.

• THeFactsR says:

The weak links are Drew, Cody, NeNe, Amy

• Leah says:

Hardly. Amy is a natural, even without taking into account her legs. Factor in her handicap and it is astounding. I don’t know if she was a dancer before she lost her legs, but whatever it is, she’s far better than Candace, whose arms drive me crazy. I knew after Candace’s contemporary (which was basically comprised of flailing, though she did it pretty well, hence the praise she got), she was in for a setback when presented with an actual technical routine. Candace is at that stage where awareness of her movement hasn’t quite clicked for her yet, so the grace and control of execution is not quite there.

• Leonie says:

eww… shut up, amy is way better than nene, drew, & cody loser (n)

• TheFactsR says:

who is the RUDE one now! I believe you were when you used the words “shut up” just because someone doesn’t agree with you. You call Cody a loser but yet you say “shut up” to anyone who thinks Amy is carried around on Derek’s back through the entire dance.

Yes is Amy doing amazing for someone without both feet! Is there a reason she was in the para Olympics instead of the Olympics, YES again. Please be realistic with your confrontations.

12. Indira says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on stainless steel bracelets.
    Regards

13. TheFactsR says:

Vegas Odd: Meryl is back in the lead again

Derek should not be allowed to pair with Meryl. Derek and Meryl worked professionally together before Meryl became a contestant on DWTS!

THAT IS A RED FLAG!

• Tonya says:

It could be a red flag however I do not see where there should be an issue with Meryl dancing with Derek. Yes they have worked together before but this is a totally different thing. It is no different than the All star season when the professionals stars worked together previously.

• TheFactsR says:

you have little knowledge of what that could lead to, it shows you don’t have a working knowledge of the bag or worms it would cause. To my knowledge no need to worry about it anyway. A fan tweeted Val was in Florida at the airport. Meryl is in Florida with the Stars on Ice.

14. TheFactsR says:

Amy should not be scored any differently. As Len Goodman says, I must score as I see the dance. PERIOD!

15. pat king says:

Have been a faithful viewer of Dancing since the beginning, but last night was the night I am pulling the plug. I DID NOT ENJOY ONE SINGLE MINUTE OF IT! Why is it being turned into a soap opera with a sports broadcaster stiring the pot, and Robin Roberts is the most obnoxious judge I have ever seen. There are no “STARS” on the show, and the pros seem to be nothing but embarrassed by what the show has become this year. Suspected something was off since the first night, but last night was just plain insulting, stupid, and did not even feature dancing–just uncouth bawdiness, sob stories and lewdness. The music was almost as bad as the rest of it. . .come on producers. PULL IT TOGETHER or can the series before it dies. And it will!!!!!

16. docdaddy says:

Does anyone else think Billy Dee’s withdrawal is more about seeing himself on TV embarrassing himself, being the butt of jokes on TV, and realizing he wanted an out?

17. I would like to formally request that Meryl and Charlie just switch partners for the week. Meryl with Shana and Charlie with Maksim. A++++ would watch again and again.

18. Quin says:

It’s too bad that Billy Dee had to leave. I would love to see him and Derek as partners for the switch

19. Diane says:

I’m really disappointed with Erin Andrews. I wasn’t impressed before and not now. She’s unattractive both in body and soul. She and Max have to go.

• TheFactsR says:

Don’t lump Maks with Erin, he just had the misfortune to get her as a dance partner! She is tall and that was how they put her back then. She is brazen and I agree about Erin, it is no place for Erin Andrews in a ballroom setting.

Tom’s co-host should be a NON DWTS contestant! Bring someone in that has not been on DWTS. I mean come on Conrad Green, use what GOD gave you and stop acting like an ignorant Tyrant!

20. TheFactsR says:

Although the new band is AMAZING! Working into the ballroom and stays in time with the music as it should be.

Good Move Conrad Green. You actually made one great decision!