Once Upon a Time's Emilie de Ravin Talks Belle's Big Adventure -- and Reunion With Rumple?

Once Upon a Time Emilie de RavinThe brainy beauty is back.

Having not made the journey to Neverland for the first half of Once Upon a Time Season 3, Emilie de Ravin and the character of Belle are now in the thick of two mysteries, one in current-day Storybrooke and one in Fairy Tale Land of the Past Year. This Sunday at 8/7c on the ABC drama, flashback Belle will team with Neal to get the definitive 411 on Rumplestitlskin’s fate, while in Storybrooke her bookish charm will prove quite handy.

VIDEO | Once Upon a Time Declares a ‘Witch Watch’ in Effect — Ready Yer Pails of Water!

TVLine invited the Aussie beauty to preview what’s to come, assess Belle’s wardrobe and also ponder the thought of (gasp!) live-tweeting a Lost episode.

TVLINE | I know you were shooting very late last night, so I wanted to thank you up front for your time. It’s just that the readers have been clamoring for more Belle goodness, more Emilie goodness….
I know, I’ve been flattered! It’s very sweet. I think that stemmed from the Neverland arc, which obviously she couldn’t be involved in. So now it’s nice to be back with the group.

TVLINE | Was that different for you, being largely separated for everyone else in Season 3A?
Well, yeah! And I wasn’t even really playing myself. I mean, I was, to an extent, but also — and this is just creepy, once I figured it out — I was playing [Rumplestiltskin's] father! We’re not twisted on this show at all. [Laughs]

TVLINE | [Series creators] Adam [Horowitz] and Eddy [Kitsis] ave promised more Belle in the second half, but just as importantly we’ll see her smarts come into play.
Yes, yes — especially in this Sunday’s episode, Once Upon a Time NYC Serenadeactually. Much more of that [midseason premiere Belle/Neal] conversation and action will come to fruition in “Quiet Minds.” It’s about me suggesting that I think that we can get Rumple back, and Neal believing in what I’m saying. It was a very, very fun episode for me to shot. A lot of work.

TVLINE | Is it basically Belle and Neal on an adventure?
It’s definitely an adventure episode — my second adventure episode in something that’s not, like, a Gucci skirt, which I love. I’m in my tights, leather booty shorts, a blazer…. It’s pretty awesome.

TVLINE | So you’re happy with your Fairy Tale Land wardrobe there?
Oh god, yeah. These guys are amazing. Eduardo [Castro] and the whole [costume] department, its like they’re making a wedding dress every day. The amount of work that goes into the costumes, and every stick is perfect…. It’s pretty cool.

TVLINE | But as far as being practical for long hours the Vancouver outdoors, where would you say your wardrobe ranks?
Oh, I’m fine. I’m more of a hot-blooded person as opposed to those who get cold easily. And I love the fashion of it all, so I’ll just triple up the tights or stick more heat patches in my back, throw the thermals underneath….

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Spoilers — Will Regina Teach Emma More Magic?

TVLINE | What can you say about the introduction of Lumiere (voiced by Henry Lubatti, True Blood)?
Henri was fantastic, and such a trouper, too. A beautiful man, just a lovely guy. He came and did all the dialogue on set for me and MRJ [Michael Raymond James], even though he didn’t really need to be there. We really appreciated that he spent that time in the middle of the night, in the snow in the forest, reading lines.

TVLINE | Meanwhile in Storybrooke, will Belle learn that Rumple is alive sooner rather than later?
I learn… soon. Gold’s gone missing and everyone’s searching for him, so I basically — because of that lost year in Fairy Tale Land — go through my copious amounts of books and find out that we had this thing that we found out about, to find him in Fairy Tale Land.

TVLINE | So “Rumbelle” fans have something to look forward to in the next couple episodes?ROBERT CARLYLE, EMILIE DE RAVIN
Yes, yes…. For the rest of the season, actually.

RELATED | ABC Confirms Wonderland‘s End — But Are All Once Spin-Offs Now Off the Table?

TVLINE | It’s funny, we talk about the passion for the Rumple/Belle pairing, yet you’re always apart in some way, shape or form.
As I’ve always said, it’s a very Romeo and Juliet relationship. It’s not your vanilla “I’m going to make coffee and pancakes for you” thing, which for me is perfect. Instead of always being beautiful and perfect, I always prefer having something that threatens the demise of their relationship. Belle’s become stronger because she’s had to deal with him, even though she was a strong character from the beginning — but she’s also given him strength. He’s had power, and she’s had the strength.

TVLINE | How would you compare the passion of the Once fans versus your time on Lost?
I think it was more dispersed with Lost, though it certainly wasn’t any less. [On Lost] it was much more involved in what was happening. The fandom was much more for everyone instead of being about, maybe, three couples at this point. It’s also so different now. I mean, back then I would have boycotted having a Twitter account, and now everyone’s like, “Can you live-tweet tonight?’ And I get it! Social media has taken over, and it’s giving as much to the fans as sending off fan mail, basically.

TVLINE | I can’t imagine actors live-tweeting a Lost episode. It’d be a bunch of silence.
Oh, god — we wouldn’t know what to say! But no, that show was awesome in a completely different way. Adam and Eddy are insanely creative and think out of numerous boxes — not just one box — about where they can go. They’ve created this fantastical world where they can go wherever they want, and there are so many characters they can bring on, so many relationships they can twist around… Just look at Bobby — Rumplestiltskin and the beast? Who would think of that?

1. Sarah says:

Thank you for getting the scoop from Emilie, Matt. I can’t wait to finally get more Belle! I can’t wait to see Belle and Neal go on their adventure! I want to see Belle using her books smarts again. :)

I hope that once Rumbelle are reunited that they’re not separated again for the hundredth time!

I can’t wait to see how Lumiere helps Neal and Belle!

2. It'sDelovely says:

Thank you, Matt, for bringing us stories on all OUAT characters and for never forgetting about Belle/Rumbelle. Can’t wait to see Belle’s story unfold and really enjoyed reading your interview with Emilie. :)

3. Andi says:

Thank you so much! I love that we’re getting info on Belle, Neal and rumbelle. Let’s hope the writers deliver and finally star using them more than a few minutes every couple of episodes. Belle being always benched and rumbelle always being separated is getting old.

4. Lyndie says:

Such a fun interview, she seems like a real sweetheart. It’s so exciting to see Emilie get to do more, both on the show and promotion wise! I’ve missed her in season 3.

5. Stormy says:

OMG! Even in a still photo Robert Carlyle is just incandescent! He is OUAT for me. Not minimizing the rest of the cast who are stellar, but IMO he is the show.

• JM says:

I agree, Stormy. RC is divine.

• e says:

i absolutely agree with this. robert carlyle is on a whole other level from the rest of the cast. i do love them all, and it’s one of my favorite shows, but the second he comes on screen i can’t look away. as gold, but especially as rumplestiltskin… i am disappointed he hasn’t yet been nominated for an emmy. his character acting is just fantastic.

• Nikki says:

Well said he is amazing actor! he really does make the show that’s how I knew he wasn’t dead. Sadly were seeing cable Actors take all the awards network hardly ever nominated and is a shame cause he well deserving

6. Rachel says:

Thank you so so much for this interview. It’s always nice to hear from Emilie, and I’m SO thrilled to hear Belle has got more stuff coming.

Your OUAT coverage is the best, Matt. I get the feeling it’s one of your favorite shows… True? ;)

7. krazy says:

Thanks for this interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited for Sunday and to see more BELLE

8. BelleRumpleFan says:

Nice interview, Matt! I’m excited to see what’s in store for Belle & Rumbelle.

9. Leo says:

Ah my heart! Thank you so much for this interview to Emilie! I’m so happy of hear that Belle is gonna have her own adventure and lumiere!!?? I can’t wait for this Sunday. I’m in prays for see even a little bit of Rumbelle feelings there :)

10. Jolly says:

Nice interview… good thoughts and hints that there will be more!
    I will say that i think Hook will tell her Rumple is alive atleast be involved in her knowing. So i kinda hope we see scenes with them, and that will be :)

• riri says:

oh, joy! finally! FINALLY! I really hope it’s true and we have something to look forward to! real story! I’ll give ouat the last chance if emilie says so. hope her story won’t end on cutting floor as before.

11. Mary says:

Thank you so much for the interview! I’ve missed hearing from Emilie and I’m just so happy to get some spoilers about belle and rumbelle!

12. Dominique says:

belle is not my favorite character, but i do enjoy the idea of seeing her kicking a little bit more ass, looking forward to that!
    also, did i misunderstand something about fake!belle on the island? i thought that was The Shadow pretending to be her, not Pan?

13. Cass says:

THank you for a great little interview! I so hope we’re going to see more of Belle and her brains (heaven knows the other characters on this show could use some help). And yeah, I thought Jungle!Belle being Rumple’s dad was rather creepy as well. But then so was him talking about how Rumple’s gf looked fertile. Ick! Mind your own beeswax, dad!

14. Roxxy says:

You gave me hope Matt!!!! thanks for that interview emilie/belle is always one of my favorites and its nice read about her character having a important story.

15. Natalie says:

Thank you for the awesome interview, Matt! I’m so happy to read more stuff on Belle! And happy to know that there’s something to look forward to for the rest of the season!

16. Tegan says:

So happy to be finally getting some awesome Belle stuff! It always kind of irritated me that she seemingly gets ignored on the show by the other characters like she’s invisible. So as a massive Belle fan (she’s my favourite character) I’m really excited for what’s coming up! Thanks Matt for getting this interview!

17. Amy says:

Thank you for this interview. :) Belle is my fav.

18. lyla says:

Yay Neal and Belle teaming up! Can’t wait to see these three reunited again as family! Stepmom!Belle in the first ep after the hiatus is so precious!! X)

19. Annie says:

Thanks for this interview!!
    I love Emilie so much, she should have more screentime…
    I love the way she describes Belle and Rumbelle.
    Hope we can see more of her, and she said that there will be more Rumbelle for the rest of the season. I wouldn’t believe it if Adam said it, but I believe in Emilie.♡

20. Rose says:

Adored this interview, quirky and fun! It takes actors with quiet a thick skin to have a twitter account, so kudos to the ouat cast in taking the time to interact with the fans.
    Love Emilie De Ravin’s take on Belle, she does such a fantastic job bringing such chemistry in her relationship with Rumple. It takes two people to provide that amount on intensity and spark on screen.
    As long as ouat gives fans like me Rumbelle, Belle, Rumple scences in whatever capacity I will continue to watch, as I tend to agree with Emilie that the relationship will get stale pretty quickly if they pretend to be a normal couple, and how can you ever be a normal couple when your other half is the oh, so powerful dark one!!!!! I love the rollercoaster of emotions they take me on.
    Thank you Matt, I really enjoyed the read and looking forward to the next episode.

21. Lysh says:

Oh no, I thought Lumiere was going to be a human and now I’m cringing at the thought of a CGI talking candlestick. But the monkeys have been good so far, so I don’t know. That should be interesting.

Great interview! I’m glad she’s getting more screen time this half of the season. Belle doesn’t have to literally kick ass to be a hero; she’s smart and that’s why I like her.

22. Miranda says:

That really sucks that Neal’s dead, it just makes me sad, I was really hoping that some how Neal would come back to life again which I hope that he does because he was my favorite character and what is Emma and Henry going to do about that.