New Girl Recaplet: Up in Smoke

New Girl Nick Jess Break UpTuesday’s New Girl (Fox, 9/8c) began with a familiar scene: Nick and Jess participating in yet another rousing game of True American with their closest friends — and Coach. But this time around, there were no winners.

RELATED | Exclusive New Girl First Look: True Detective’s Alexandra Daddario Gets a Warm Welcome…?

As if the couple’s next-day hangovers weren’t bad enough, they were quickly compounded by the stress of Sadie’s son’s birthday party. Assembling a simple child’s toy suddenly felt like an insurmountable task for Nick, one that required the use of fire — which, of course, resulted in a trip to the fire house.

But Nick’s blanket wasn’t the only thing that went up in flames this week; his relationship with Jess also took a surprising hit, as she started to analyze pretty much everything she thought was going wrong between them. Why doesn’t Nick think about their future together? Why do they always fight so much? Honestly, it was pretty exhausting.

RELATED | Fox Renews New Girl, Mindy Project, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Following

Ultimately, Nick and Jess determined that while they do love each other, that’s pretty much all they have in common. It was a dismal realization, one that led to the couple deciding to call it quits — complete with an awkward salute/finger pistol combo.

This isn’t the first time New Girl‘s it couple has flirted with the idea of a split, but it’s never felt this final before. So here’s our two-part question for you: Do you think this is really the end of Nick and Jess? And if so, do you think they made the right decision? Cast your vote and drop a comment below.

_

1. Newel says:

Not my favorite episode.

2. legalchef says:

New Girl has gone downhill, in my opinion.

Oh – and it wasn’t Sadie’s baby shower, it was her son’s first birthday party.

3. Sarah says:

Liz Merriweather has said before she doesn’t see Jess and Nick as end-game. Hopefully since all of North America thinks you are wrong, you will change your mind!

4. Boiler says:

Thought it was a great episode

5. Jon says:

Putting Nick and Jess together was a bad idea to begin with. She spent all her screen time with Nick and less with the rest of the gang.

6. neha says:

I think that part of the reason that this season has been lacking is the Jess/Nick relationship, so I’m hopeful that this will bring the show back to its better days.

7. Rob says:

This was awful episode.

8. Gretchen says:

Why was there no answer option for, Yes, and the show is better for it? I’m glad, based on the posts above, that I’m not the only one who found this season excruciatingly underwhelming. I have this and the previous two eps still to watch and I’m in no way motivated to watch them :-/

9. Badpenny says:

This season has been the worst for New Girl. They clearly had no idea how to handle any of the characters this season. I guess they think breaking up Nick and Jess is the way to get back to where they were before they became a couple – and when they had better ratings and more viewers. But it’s not the relationship that’s been the problem. It’s been the very poor usage of the characters and turning them all into psychotic idiots. Every character has been ruined this season.

• Jenny says:

I have to agree. The characters are doing ridiculous things with no heart behind it!

• I used to be a die hard fan but gave up half way through this season. This has not been a good year at all. Hopefully they can get the spark back next season.

• Asia says:

Yeah, Nick and Jess being together is not the problem. The writers completely nixed character growth and story line development for laughs. And everyone is an inanely cartoonish version of themselves. There used to be a time where I could say that Nick showed instances of being more mature than Jess. But they’ve all been regressed to a ridiculous degree.

10. M.d says:

Finally I like Nick alone, Jess was trying to change him and I didn’t like that. Hope they never get back together.

11. Angel says:

I personally like Nick and Jess together, but they both have to grow up some on their own to make it work. They were not ready to go “all in” yet. If I am going to be completely honest, I don’t think it was the Nick/Jess relationship that messed up this season, it was bringing back Coach! I can’t stand him, I love Winston, and Nick, Jess, Schmidt, Winston, and Cece work so much better without him. He tries to hard, and Winston has been pushed aside, and he’s hilarious. The best parts of tonight’s episode came with Cece’s horrible drunk texts, and Jess walking in on Schmidt, and him coming out of the room talking about doing downward facing dog naked! I hope the writers figure out how to better write the characters so Coach can work, or get rid of him. If Nick and Jess are split up for now, fine, I have a feeling they will get back together sometime…they are the new Ross and Rachel in opinion, Ross and Rachel should’ve never worked, but they did, and I see Nick and Jess being the same way.

12. Gon says:

You know what? Since the first season I’ve been liking the idea of nick and Jess together and I was hoping they wouldn’t drag the will they/ won’t they couple between them for too long, and in season 2 it finally started to happened the last season finale got really excited for their development for season 3. And then what? Almost all of the nick/Jess storylines this season we’re fell flat to me. It’s like the sparkles of both characters almost. I don’t blame it and Zooey/jake because they have a great chemistry. It’s the writers that were clueless on how to make their characters progress as a couple while still integrate all the other characters on the show to make it compelling for the viewers. I hope the writers can figure it all out in the couple episodes left this season and the upcoming seasons.

13. J.R. says:

While I thought this was a depressing episode, it was essential for their character development. You’ve always known that Nick and Jess had a thing for each other since the pilot (simple state of denial) so I have faith that the two will rekindle their romance in the distant future.

14. James D says:

I actually thought they worked as couple. IMO its not whats wrong with this show it’s the complete lack of character development. They made Winston a total nut-bag because they didn’t know what to do with them, They throw in coach because they thought why not add more characters to the mess so we don’t have to face the fact we have no idea what to do with our characters. the list goes on. Nick is the worst IMO they completely screwed his character over by turning him into a complete lump of a human being. when will sitcoms learn that you can be funny and a successful well adjusted adult at the same time, they did the same thing with Joey from friends. Don’t get me wrong i still find this show funny i actually LOL’d a few times tonight, but unless they start to put some faith into their characters I’m not hopeful about the future.

15. Gabrielle says:

I would like to make an empty threat that I will stop watching the show if they break up but that’s all it would be. Would be bummed though, I loved them together romantically.

• leah says:

amen!!! I waited 2 seasons for them to finally get together! Sometimes two people are perfect together because they are so different! Not because they are exactly the same.

16. Ariana says:

I don’t think it’s the definite end for these two. I think they’ll bring in old love interests for both of them. One key part should be Russell…and we’ll finally find out what they each wrote about what they meant to each other from “first date” and this will probably mean reconciliation. I think we’ll be saying goodbye to coach again soon as well. Funny episode..The guys were fun. If you’re in a long term relationship. . The bickering between Nick and Jess may sound familiar haha

17. Nanner says:

Having just watched S1 & 2, watching S3 has been a real let-down. The character development has hit that spot where the writers just focus on the broad strokes and it’s really unfortunate because the range in S2 was pretty fantastic for a 23-min show. Yes, Nick Miller can be dopey, but S2 he wasn’t a moron – but since the Prince episode, he’s being written as a complete idiot, not the guy we all fell in love with. Jess has become just whiny and controlling. What’s most frustrating for me, as a viewer in my early 30’s, is that everyone in my cohort, even the perpetual Nick Millers, have figured out that sometimes the honeymoon period ends, the harder stuff begins, so if you love someone you don’t just quit. Whatever happened to the line S3E1 when Jess said to Nick, “It’s going to be really hard, but I believe in us.” They always fought, so why is it such an issue out of the blue? This is unoriginal and it’s a slap in the face to the fans. Original would be something like writing characters who realize it’s not always great sex and drinking games – sometimes, you get annoyed and you get through it. And to top it all off, Coach is unnecessary and taking up my beloved Schmidt and Winnie the Bish screen time!

• Daisy says:

I completely agree with you. I watch this show religiously and I feel like this breakup has just come out of the blue too. I just wish that there had been more signs that this breakup was coming and I might be more ok with it, but Jess knew what she was getting into in a relationship with Nick and vice versa because they were friends first, so why all of a sudden are they breaking up? Slap in the face is right. I’m so annoyed by this!

• leah says:

YUP!!!! totally agree!

18. Boiler says:

I like the actor playing Coach but I think his return is part of the problem this year. Too many characters…problem with a lot of shows

19. Joel says:

They were cute together in season 1 and 2. Every episode this season has had a reason that Jess should break up with the man child that Nick has seemingly become. Nick would need to change dramatically like get a job and become a functioning member of society and have a bank before these two would even realistically be together

20. JJ says:

Terrible episode. I liked Jess and Nick together, but the writing has gone way downhill this season.

21. Nicole says:

I love Nick and Jess together but I have to admit I liked the relationship they had before they got together better. They had this chemistry that is somewhat still there but it’s masked by, well exactly what they said on the show last night; them not being themselves. They’ve turned Nick into someone who can’t seem to function on his own and all he lives for is to please Jess. While somewhat dysfunctional, he was true to himself and didn’t give a crap what anyone thought. I thought there was some hope when they revealed he’d passed the BAR but no such luck. I don’t think it’s too late though. The writers can get these characters, all of them, back in track now. We’ve seen that. Nick and Jess belong together, they just need to grow up a little. Unfortunately it’s going to be hard to watch them with other people but it will be worth it in the end when they are finally together. I like Coach on the show but I don’t like how they’ve changed Winston. It’s like they don’t know how to write him. I would like to see more group interaction again. Showcase all of them because they’re a very talented. I still believe this show can top Friends. You’ve had three seasons to get your feet wet writers, now show us what you got.

22. ggny says:

This show has NO CLUE where the hell it is going. Im officially cutting it from my TV lineup just not worth it with the terrible writing

23. Matt says:

They’re probably gonna end up back together at some point, but for the time being, I think this was the right thing to do. What I think this episode did really well was show how uneven their relationship could get; there were times when they were great together and seemed like they might just make it against all odds, but then there were also times when they just didn’t gel as boyfriend and girlfriend. The scenes with the toy really managed to capture those discrepancies, which actually made for a pretty good episode. Whether the way this relationship has progressed over the past year was written with this in mind from the start or not is debatable, but at this point, this was probably for the best creatively.

On that note, the show still has its share of problems, but I feel like it might be able to get back on track.

24. kaley says:

what a disappointing episode. hated it. i like nick and jess together. i just thought the reason for break up was not strong enough. i still think zooey and jake has amazing chemistry. they should probably end up together, but the writers really dont know how to write it. what a waste of chemistry -_-

25. anony mous says:

Liz Merriweather should take notes from Parks & Rec. The Ben/Leslie relationship only went through one relatively minor break-up and then made the focus (and humor) on how they navigate their relationship from dating to engagement to marriage, all with their career tribulations and crazy band of friends playing equally important roles. And, shocker, they also don’t make every single storyline about their relationship. Just like in real life, if your whole existence revolves around your S.O., you will lose a lot of what is interesting about yourself.

(Admittedly, P&R has been suffering a bit since Ann and Chris left, but I have no doubt it will be back to regular form once they get over the growing pains of the dynamic)

26. anony mous says:

Also, every time I see Damon Wayans, Jr., I just get real, real bummed out that Happy Endings was canceled. Not the actor’s fault, of course, but I practically want to shake my TV and scream, “BE BRAD, DAMMIT! BE BRAD!”
    Sigh.

27. e says:

when the most redeeming part of the whole episode was cece and her random 20-something aussie cutie… you know the show has hit rock bottom. i could list SO MANY GRIEVANCES, but the characters aren’t even remotely recognizable anymore. my husband and i caught up on the last 3 episodes yesterday and when we were done, turned to each other and said “well THAT was a waste of time…”

i hate that, because it used to be the show we looked forward to most! back when everything schmidt said was quotable… winston wasn’t a CREEPY WEIRDO… nick could actually speak clear sentences, instead of this weird incoherent mumbling he does now… and jess was a lovable mess. now, they are all messes… the only one with a stable job is schmidt? and overall, the most consistent and even-keeled character is Cece, which i don’t mind because i love her, but still. i hope they can get it together for next season, since it’s still fox’s highest rated comedy.

28. Joseph says:

I was a big fan of Nick and Jess New Girl, there break up comes out of nowhere and the writers have lost these characters in the twilite Zone. You can’t go on forever without some kind of maturity in these folks.Nick and Jess could of led that path with great comedy on the way. I’m not sure if I’ll stay on board. The session has failed not do to Nick and Jess but doto the writers falling to bring about the characters growth.

29. Louise says:

I’ve been pretty disappointed with this season all round when it comes to their relationship, it could have been handled better but then….I think they’ve done it to spark things up a bit to be honest. They both need to be better people first and then they can think about being a proper couple. I think she or he needs to move out, possibly she moves in with CC???

30. Kimbra says:

Disatisfactory. The characters have lost their meaning. The whole series is turning upside down. Nick and Jess were a great couple. It all followed up fantasticly untill the midway point of season 3. I’ve really taken New Girl close to heart, and all the characters also. But please, I’m not asking as a fangirl, but a rational person put them back together and fix Winston. I really love the actors and the whole New Girl team, and i don’t want them to take the wrong direction here.

31. Adri says:

this season is probably the worst season of new girl its just like they’re lose their charm

32. Bebe says:

No, they can’t break up, it will ruin everything. Jess and Nick are perfect, if I would want to be with anyone, it’s Nick. Him and Jess be thereselfs around each other, nobody really does that anymore, and every since she moved in, I wanted those two to be together, and now they are, but there going to seriously break up. They just can’t break up, I want to be like Jess and find my Nick, even though they fight, its what builds there relationship, and they have alot in common, especially there weirdness. They’ve always like each other since day one, and there meant to be.