How I Met Your Dad Shake-Up: Smash's Krysta Rodriguez Abruptly Exits HIMYM Spin-Off

krysta rodriguez how i met your dadCBS’ How I Met Your Mother spin-off How I Met Your Dad has made a key (and 11th hour) casting tweak.

Smash actress Krysta Rodriguez has exited the pilot just days ahead of production, TVLine confirms.

RELATED | Pilot Season: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows and Who’s In Them

According to Deadline, which broke the news, Rodriguez — who was set to play the best friend of Greta Gerwig’s character — was let go following the table read. The character (originally described as a sexy, flamboyant fashion blogger) is now being reconceived.

HIMYD is described as a “kindred spirit” of HIMYM — only this time telling the story of a relationship from the point of view of Sally, a “female Peter Pan” who is thinking of calling it quits with her hubby of a year, Gavin (The Mindy Project‘s Anders Holm).

1. Scott says:

Maybe I’ll watch now.

2. Maki says:

I heard Eliza Dishku read the script in early casting stages. I would love her to get the role now. But maybe she was reading for a guest appearence.

3. jen says:

personally i think someone like tika sumpter (she is likely unavailable) would be perfect for this part

4. Ashley says:

Hopefully they’re retooling the character, as the description may as well be “female Barney”.

5. Diz says:

She realized this show is going to bomb and left to save her career.

6. Behzad says:

She dodged a bullet honestly.

7. Jack says:

Uhmmm…(The Mindy Project‘s Anders Holm) … he is Workaholics Anders Holm and that is with a hard-An.

8. Kaycee says:

Greta is the only one I care about watching. But I hope they find an equally good replacement for Krysta.

9. Little Scarf Girl says:

“Exited” and “let go” are kinda different takes. o_O Sounds like they decided the character didn’t work so well. I am not really planning to avidly follow this show, even though I loved HIMYM, but let’s hope it’s at least better than “Mad Love” from a few years ago, which I thought was trying to be a bit like HIMYM itself.

10. Tracy says:

I’d love to see Eliza Dushku join the cast! I miss seeing her on TV!

11. Jip Lance says:

I apparently was the only person excited to see Krysta. I loved her in SMASH and wanted to see her do more. Maybe not a HIMYM remake but wanted to see her on TV more

12. John NYC says:

Reads like the character as conceived didn’t work in practice so they had to retool and that does mean recasting for an actor that fits the new concept rather than the old…

Still a bit doubtful after this season’s HIMYM….

13. Nikki says:

I still would love to see Lyndsy Fonseca on this show. I think they made a mistake making it an entirely new entity, as opposed to using one (or both) of Ted’s children. Most spin-offs are terrible, but if the audience knows the characters, knows something akin to them (in this case, their parents), they are able to connect easier.

14. Ram510 says:

This project just doesn’t seem to be working out they should just go ahead and scrap it

15. Dan says:

While I’m looking forward to the show, if I have to read the phrase “female Peter Pan” one more time, I’m going to rip my eyes out.